PDA

View Full Version : Re: Light Bulbs

Don Klipstein
July 9th 03, 05:44 AM
In article >,
Lowell Wilson wrote:

>We moved into our house five years ago and the bulbs in the bathrooms
>are still going strong with the exception of a few.
>How can we know what kind we have to replace them in the future?

Chances are that even if the originals were a longer life incandescent
and you stay with incandescent as opposed to compact fluorescent, you can
do well by using shorter life "standard" incandescents.
The reason: Longer life incandescents are compromised in light
production efficiency compared to standard ones. A standard 60 watt bulb
with a rated average life expectancy of 1,000 hours usually outshines a
superlonglife 75 watt one. Even if in practice the "standard" averages
800 hours rather than 1,000, during that 800 hours the 15 watts saved at
the USA average of 9 cents per KWH means $1.08 electricity savings.
Unless you paid the premium-convenience-store prices charged by Rite Aid,
CVS and Eckerd (but not the 60%-of-supermarket lightbulb prices of Drug
Emporium or even lower prices at K-Mart and home centers) for "standard"
bulbs and can get the longer life bulbs for close to free, you are better
off with the "standard" ones.

- Don Klipstein )

Anthony Matonak
July 9th 03, 08:04 AM
Lowell Wilson wrote:
> We moved into our house five years ago and the bulbs in the bathrooms
> are still going strong with the exception of a few.
> How can we know what kind we have to replace them in the future?

Most all bulbs have their wattage written on them. Take a look at
one of the bulbs and buy replacements with the same rating. You
might also want to look for some writing or a sticker on the light
fixture that indicates what maximum wattage should be used. Someone
may have placed bulbs in that fixture that exceed the fixtures max
rating. This could be dangerous.

Anthony

Anthony Matonak
July 9th 03, 08:04 AM
Lowell Wilson wrote:
> We moved into our house five years ago and the bulbs in the bathrooms
> are still going strong with the exception of a few.
> How can we know what kind we have to replace them in the future?

Most all bulbs have their wattage written on them. Take a look at
one of the bulbs and buy replacements with the same rating. You
might also want to look for some writing or a sticker on the light
fixture that indicates what maximum wattage should be used. Someone
may have placed bulbs in that fixture that exceed the fixtures max
rating. This could be dangerous.

Anthony

juliehh
July 10th 03, 01:11 AM
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:49:28 -0400 (EDT), (Lowell
> Wilson) wrote:
>
> >We moved into our house five years ago and the bulbs in the bathrooms
> >are still going strong with the exception of a few.
> >How can we know what kind we have to replace them in the future?
>

> Geee - have you considered uncovering the bulb and looking at the
> wattage stamped on the glass?

i think maybe he's referring to the brand not the wattage. i have two
vanity type bulbs in my bathroom still going strong after 12 years !
julie

juliehh
July 10th 03, 01:11 AM
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:49:28 -0400 (EDT), (Lowell
> Wilson) wrote:
>
> >We moved into our house five years ago and the bulbs in the bathrooms
> >are still going strong with the exception of a few.
> >How can we know what kind we have to replace them in the future?
>

> Geee - have you considered uncovering the bulb and looking at the
> wattage stamped on the glass?

i think maybe he's referring to the brand not the wattage. i have two
vanity type bulbs in my bathroom still going strong after 12 years !
julie

Google