PDA

View Full Version : Re: Retaining the Beauty of Rust

Private
July 9th 03, 07:56 AM
"Don"
> "Sandy"
> > Doh! Don, I mean these comments kindly, but,
>
> Somebody's been sippin' grannys peach brandy again......

As a sidenote; I recently confirmed- as far as the word of a lawyer is
confirmation- that, in Canada at least, you can legally make your own hard
liquor (beyond wine or beer), as long as you don't sell it.

"Sandy":
> Now, pull Per's cock out of your mouth...

But it's a 3D-H. ;-)

Dennis P. Harris
July 9th 03, 09:12 AM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:45:03 GMT in misc.consumers.frugal-living,
"Private" > wrote:

> > I don't think you can halt the rusting process in midstream.
>
> Not even by locking it in with a paint? Seems to me that would halt it dead
> in its tracks like an prehistoric ant in amber.

no, it's like a tumor. it will just spread underneath the paint.

"Private" > wrote:

> > I don't think you can halt the rusting process in midstream.
>
> Not even by locking it in with a paint? Seems to me that would halt it dead
> in its tracks like an prehistoric ant in amber.

no, it's like a tumor. it will just spread underneath the paint.

Richard J Kinch
July 9th 03, 03:13 PM
Private writes:

> Our Canadian winters can be murder.

But not as bad as January to December in Florida as regards metal corrosion
outdoors.

Richard J Kinch
July 9th 03, 03:13 PM
Private writes:

> Our Canadian winters can be murder.

But not as bad as January to December in Florida as regards metal corrosion
outdoors.

Dennis
July 9th 03, 07:49 PM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:08:09 -0400, wrote:

>When I used to have to go to Pittsburgh on business in the late 60's
>early 1970' one of the high spots of each visit was standing in front
>of our hotel and watching the US Steel building rust -

Man, you really know how to kick up your heels when traveling! Any
good grass-growing spots out that way?

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 9th 03, 07:49 PM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:08:09 -0400, wrote:

>When I used to have to go to Pittsburgh on business in the late 60's
>early 1970' one of the high spots of each visit was standing in front
>of our hotel and watching the US Steel building rust -

Man, you really know how to kick up your heels when traveling! Any
good grass-growing spots out that way?

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Private
July 10th 03, 04:42 AM
"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
. ..
> Private writes:
>
> > Our Canadian winters can be murder.
>
> But not as bad as January to December in Florida as regards metal
corrosion
> outdoors.

I suppose Florida, the Sunshine State, can still be humid and rainy... maybe
with a salty ocean spray, too, that might exacerbate corrosion like our
salted slushy roads seem to do to our cars in the winter here.
Last time I was there, was in Tampa at my grandparents mobile home trying to
catch with my bro' those little lizards running around everywhere.

Richard

Private
July 10th 03, 04:42 AM
"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
. ..
> Private writes:
>
> > Our Canadian winters can be murder.
>
> But not as bad as January to December in Florida as regards metal
corrosion
> outdoors.

I suppose Florida, the Sunshine State, can still be humid and rainy... maybe
with a salty ocean spray, too, that might exacerbate corrosion like our
salted slushy roads seem to do to our cars in the winter here.
Last time I was there, was in Tampa at my grandparents mobile home trying to
catch with my bro' those little lizards running around everywhere.

Richard

Private
July 10th 03, 06:47 AM
"Don" > wrote in message
> "Private"> wrote
> > Last time I was there, was in Tampa at my grandparents mobile home
trying
> > catch with my bro' those little lizards running around everywhere.
>
> Gecko's (chameleons)

Well there you go...
Saw my first ant lion there, too- at least what appeared to be what I
thought might be. (It was at the bottom of a little funnel of sand and its
head bounced very quickly, throwing sand out of the funnel. A fascinating
little creature.)

Private
July 10th 03, 06:47 AM
"Don" > wrote in message
> "Private"> wrote
> > Last time I was there, was in Tampa at my grandparents mobile home
trying
> > catch with my bro' those little lizards running around everywhere.
>
> Gecko's (chameleons)

Well there you go...
Saw my first ant lion there, too- at least what appeared to be what I
thought might be. (It was at the bottom of a little funnel of sand and its
head bounced very quickly, throwing sand out of the funnel. A fascinating
little creature.)

Albert Wagner
July 10th 03, 01:42 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT
"Private" > wrote:
<snip>

> Sand spurs? I wish I had.
<snip>
No you don't. Sand spurs are pea-sized balls with hard sharp thorns
pointing in every direction. Step on one barefooted and it will pierce
the thickest callous, causing excruciating pain.

Albert Wagner
July 10th 03, 01:42 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT
"Private" > wrote:
<snip>

> Sand spurs? I wish I had.
<snip>
No you don't. Sand spurs are pea-sized balls with hard sharp thorns
pointing in every direction. Step on one barefooted and it will pierce
the thickest callous, causing excruciating pain.

Richard J Kinch
July 10th 03, 04:22 PM
Don writes:

> Gecko's (chameleons)

Neither. Cuban anoles.

Richard J Kinch
July 10th 03, 04:22 PM
Don writes:

> Gecko's (chameleons)

Neither. Cuban anoles.

Private
July 10th 03, 07:46 PM
"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
> Private writes:
>
> > Saw my first ant lion there, too- at least what appeared to be what I
> > thought might be. (It was at the bottom of a little funnel of sand and
> > its head bounced very quickly, throwing sand out of the funnel. A
> > fascinating little creature.)
>
> Unless you're an ant!

Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants
themselves tend to be too. As a kid I used to feed ants to spiders and they
were one of the bugs that spiders seemed to have a hard time with. I later
read that they spray some kind of acid I think.

Up here in Ontario I recently discovered that we have the occasional house
centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one evening
I turned on the kitchen light and saw one on the floor react to it by
momentarily spinning in a circle a few times really fast and then darting
under the fridge.

The next time I saw it, it stood still momentarily, so I grabbed a glass
jar, caught it, and put it beside my computer while I went online to see
what it was.
It seemed pretty calm and casual in the jar after a short while, cleaning
its legs and antennae. Normally I catch bugs with my hands- the ones I know-
but I found that they do bite and it can hurt as much as a bee sting. Great
to have if you have other bugs in your house since they eat just about any
kind.

> Cuban anoles.

We caught a couple to look at.

Private
July 10th 03, 07:46 PM
"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
> Private writes:
>
> > Saw my first ant lion there, too- at least what appeared to be what I
> > thought might be. (It was at the bottom of a little funnel of sand and
> > its head bounced very quickly, throwing sand out of the funnel. A
> > fascinating little creature.)
>
> Unless you're an ant!

Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants
themselves tend to be too. As a kid I used to feed ants to spiders and they
were one of the bugs that spiders seemed to have a hard time with. I later
read that they spray some kind of acid I think.

Up here in Ontario I recently discovered that we have the occasional house
centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one evening
I turned on the kitchen light and saw one on the floor react to it by
momentarily spinning in a circle a few times really fast and then darting
under the fridge.

The next time I saw it, it stood still momentarily, so I grabbed a glass
jar, caught it, and put it beside my computer while I went online to see
what it was.
It seemed pretty calm and casual in the jar after a short while, cleaning
its legs and antennae. Normally I catch bugs with my hands- the ones I know-
but I found that they do bite and it can hurt as much as a bee sting. Great
to have if you have other bugs in your house since they eat just about any
kind.

> Cuban anoles.

We caught a couple to look at.

Private
July 10th 03, 07:48 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT
> "Private" > wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Sand spurs? I wish I had.
> <snip>
> No you don't. Sand spurs are pea-sized balls with hard sharp thorns
> pointing in every direction. Step on one barefooted and it will pierce
> the thickest callous, causing excruciating pain.

Lovely.

Private
July 10th 03, 07:48 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT
> "Private" > wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Sand spurs? I wish I had.
> <snip>
> No you don't. Sand spurs are pea-sized balls with hard sharp thorns
> pointing in every direction. Step on one barefooted and it will pierce
> the thickest callous, causing excruciating pain.

Lovely.

gruhn
July 10th 03, 08:36 PM
http://www.hwb.com/gruhn/photos/melook/zard.html

Genuine Tampa 'zard.

gruhn
July 10th 03, 08:36 PM
http://www.hwb.com/gruhn/photos/melook/zard.html

Genuine Tampa 'zard.

gruhn
July 10th 03, 08:38 PM
> centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one
evening

Recommend either for or against seeing "Naked Lunch."

gruhn
July 10th 03, 08:38 PM
> centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one
evening

Recommend either for or against seeing "Naked Lunch."

gruhn
July 10th 03, 09:00 PM
> Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants

Remember some fact about ant lions being the most ____________ predator on
the planet.

Or, well, I remember that such a fact exists.

gruhn
July 10th 03, 09:00 PM
> Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants

Remember some fact about ant lions being the most ____________ predator on
the planet.

Or, well, I remember that such a fact exists.

gruhn
July 10th 03, 09:04 PM
> There's a house centipede in it, or just that it's a buggy/creepy movie?
:-)

There's bugs. Some are centipedes, others are typewriters...

I couldn't look at a man with a steel watch band or a girl with a french
braid for like six months w/o getting the creeps. We'll not talk about the
dust bunnies under the dining room table.

gruhn
July 10th 03, 09:04 PM
> There's a house centipede in it, or just that it's a buggy/creepy movie?
:-)

There's bugs. Some are centipedes, others are typewriters...

I couldn't look at a man with a steel watch band or a girl with a french
braid for like six months w/o getting the creeps. We'll not talk about the
dust bunnies under the dining room table.

Private
July 10th 03, 09:09 PM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> http://www.hwb.com/gruhn/photos/melook/zard.html
>
> Genuine Tampa 'zard.

Hey, handsome pic!
It was quite awhile ago but yes I think it's the one.

'chard

Private
July 10th 03, 09:09 PM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> http://www.hwb.com/gruhn/photos/melook/zard.html
>
> Genuine Tampa 'zard.

Hey, handsome pic!
It was quite awhile ago but yes I think it's the one.

'chard

Private
July 10th 03, 09:19 PM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> > Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants
>
> Remember some fact about ant lions being the most ____________ predator on
> the planet.
>
> Or, well, I remember that such a fact exists.

Maybe ounce for ounce, the most 'ferocious'?
Here's a glam shot of one:
http://www.uglybug.org/images02/bug5.jpg

Now I've got myself wanting a feature film starring a giant one modeled in
3D.

Private
July 10th 03, 09:19 PM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> > Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants
>
> Remember some fact about ant lions being the most ____________ predator on
> the planet.
>
> Or, well, I remember that such a fact exists.

Maybe ounce for ounce, the most 'ferocious'?
Here's a glam shot of one:
http://www.uglybug.org/images02/bug5.jpg

Now I've got myself wanting a feature film starring a giant one modeled in
3D.

Don
July 10th 03, 11:10 PM
"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
> Don writes:
>
> > Gecko's (chameleons)
>
> Neither. Cuban anoles.

You're exactly right, and they do have chameleon characteristics.

Don
July 10th 03, 11:10 PM
"Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
> Don writes:
>
> > Gecko's (chameleons)
>
> Neither. Cuban anoles.

You're exactly right, and they do have chameleon characteristics.

Don
July 10th 03, 11:14 PM
"Private" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> "Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
> > Private writes:
> >
> > > Saw my first ant lion there, too- at least what appeared to be what I
> > > thought might be. (It was at the bottom of a little funnel of sand and
> > > its head bounced very quickly, throwing sand out of the funnel. A
> > > fascinating little creature.)
> >
> > Unless you're an ant!
>
> Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants
> themselves tend to be too. As a kid I used to feed ants to spiders and
they
> were one of the bugs that spiders seemed to have a hard time with. I later
> read that they spray some kind of acid I think.
>
> Up here in Ontario I recently discovered that we have the occasional house
> centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one
evening
> I turned on the kitchen light and saw one on the floor react to it by
> momentarily spinning in a circle a few times really fast and then darting
> under the fridge.
>
> The next time I saw it, it stood still momentarily, so I grabbed a glass
> jar, caught it, and put it beside my computer while I went online to see
> what it was.
> It seemed pretty calm and casual in the jar after a short while, cleaning
> its legs and antennae. Normally I catch bugs with my hands- the ones I
know-
> but I found that they do bite and it can hurt as much as a bee sting.

We have a bright green *hairy* catepillar here in FL that eats holes in the
Hibiscus plants.
Couple years ago one of our Hibiscus's was covered with them, I started
grabbing them off the bush.
OOOOOOUUUUUUCCCHHHHHH!!!!!
Jaysus.....that thing stang the you know what out of me. My whole hand swole
up and burned unbelieveably.
Living in FL for 30+ years I had never touched one of those catepillars
before, and never will again. Extremely dangerous.

Great
> to have if you have other bugs in your house since they eat just about any
> kind.
>
> > Cuban anoles.
>
> We caught a couple to look at.

Don
July 10th 03, 11:14 PM
"Private" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> "Richard J Kinch" > wrote in message
> > Private writes:
> >
> > > Saw my first ant lion there, too- at least what appeared to be what I
> > > thought might be. (It was at the bottom of a little funnel of sand and
> > > its head bounced very quickly, throwing sand out of the funnel. A
> > > fascinating little creature.)
> >
> > Unless you're an ant!
>
> Yes, they looked quite ferocious, as one might expect given that ants
> themselves tend to be too. As a kid I used to feed ants to spiders and
they
> were one of the bugs that spiders seemed to have a hard time with. I later
> read that they spray some kind of acid I think.
>
> Up here in Ontario I recently discovered that we have the occasional house
> centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one
evening
> I turned on the kitchen light and saw one on the floor react to it by
> momentarily spinning in a circle a few times really fast and then darting
> under the fridge.
>
> The next time I saw it, it stood still momentarily, so I grabbed a glass
> jar, caught it, and put it beside my computer while I went online to see
> what it was.
> It seemed pretty calm and casual in the jar after a short while, cleaning
> its legs and antennae. Normally I catch bugs with my hands- the ones I
know-
> but I found that they do bite and it can hurt as much as a bee sting.

We have a bright green *hairy* catepillar here in FL that eats holes in the
Hibiscus plants.
Couple years ago one of our Hibiscus's was covered with them, I started
grabbing them off the bush.
OOOOOOUUUUUUCCCHHHHHH!!!!!
Jaysus.....that thing stang the you know what out of me. My whole hand swole
up and burned unbelieveably.
Living in FL for 30+ years I had never touched one of those catepillars
before, and never will again. Extremely dangerous.

Great
> to have if you have other bugs in your house since they eat just about any
> kind.
>
> > Cuban anoles.
>
> We caught a couple to look at.

gruhn
July 11th 03, 01:53 AM
> Maybe ounce for ounce,

Certainly oz. for oz., but I didn't want to put that in up front.

> the most 'ferocious'?

Wouldn't know how to guage that, but it does seem familiar.

> Now I've got myself wanting a feature film starring a giant one modeled
in...

....Milan during the haute coture show. Giant ant lion scarfing down 3d super
models bwa ha ha ha...

Talk about your run(a)way show.

<eh hehm>

gruhn
July 11th 03, 01:53 AM
> Maybe ounce for ounce,

Certainly oz. for oz., but I didn't want to put that in up front.

> the most 'ferocious'?

Wouldn't know how to guage that, but it does seem familiar.

> Now I've got myself wanting a feature film starring a giant one modeled
in...

....Milan during the haute coture show. Giant ant lion scarfing down 3d super
models bwa ha ha ha...

Talk about your run(a)way show.

<eh hehm>

gruhn
July 11th 03, 01:54 AM
> They had something similar in one of the early Star Wars flix, maybe
*Empire
> Strikes Back*?

Jedi. Jabba was gonna throw them into the pit but Luke saved the day (with a
little help from R2).

gruhn
July 11th 03, 01:54 AM
> They had something similar in one of the early Star Wars flix, maybe
*Empire
> Strikes Back*?

Jedi. Jabba was gonna throw them into the pit but Luke saved the day (with a
little help from R2).

Julie
July 11th 03, 04:46 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:40:57 GMT, "Private" > wrote:

>I am also going to experiment with it in 3D as a material texture and follow
>some links to "designer-rust" projects, etc. to see if it's worth it.
>Thanks for the tip.

The "Angel of the North" might interest you. It's a hugely famous
sculpture here in the UK, and it was intended that it would rust -
here's one website http://www.kenfinn.demon.co.uk/angel/angel.htm

Julie S

Julie
July 11th 03, 04:46 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:40:57 GMT, "Private" > wrote:

>I am also going to experiment with it in 3D as a material texture and follow
>some links to "designer-rust" projects, etc. to see if it's worth it.
>Thanks for the tip.

The "Angel of the North" might interest you. It's a hugely famous
sculpture here in the UK, and it was intended that it would rust -
here's one website http://www.kenfinn.demon.co.uk/angel/angel.htm

Julie S

July 11th 03, 05:11 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT, "Private" > wrote:

>> How about sand spurs?
>>

>Sand spurs? I wish I had. I was only down there for three weeks around xmas.

No you don't!

July 11th 03, 05:11 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT, "Private" > wrote:

>> How about sand spurs?
>>

>Sand spurs? I wish I had. I was only down there for three weeks around xmas.

No you don't!

Don
July 11th 03, 05:14 AM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> > They had something similar in one of the early Star Wars flix, maybe
> *Empire
> > Strikes Back*?
>
> Jedi. Jabba was gonna throw them into the pit but Luke saved the day (with
> little help from R2).

Ahhh...my rear takedown to the rescue.

Don
July 11th 03, 05:14 AM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> > They had something similar in one of the early Star Wars flix, maybe
> *Empire
> > Strikes Back*?
>
> Jedi. Jabba was gonna throw them into the pit but Luke saved the day (with
> little help from R2).

Ahhh...my rear takedown to the rescue.

Private
July 11th 03, 08:03 PM
<[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT, "Private" > wrote:
>

> >> How about sand spurs?
> >>

> >Sand spurs? I wish I had. I was only down there for three weeks around
xmas.

> No you don't!

So I've been made to beleive! :-D

Private
July 11th 03, 08:03 PM
<[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 GMT, "Private" > wrote:
>

> >> How about sand spurs?
> >>

> >Sand spurs? I wish I had. I was only down there for three weeks around
xmas.

> No you don't!

So I've been made to beleive! :-D

Private
July 11th 03, 08:21 PM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> > Maybe ounce for ounce,
>
> Certainly oz. for oz., but I didn't want to put that in up front.
>
> > the most 'ferocious'?
>
> Wouldn't know how to guage that, but it does seem familiar.
>
> > Now I've got myself wanting a feature film starring a giant one modeled
> in...
>
> ...Milan during the haute coture show. Giant ant lion scarfing down 3d
super
> models bwa ha ha ha...

I *like* it...
The supermodels, as per their designation 'super', could have super powers,
but in a counterintuitive plot twist, they prove insifficient!
bwa ha ha ha...
And at the end we see the ant lion walking into the sunset, satisfied and
satiated... (albeit with a little gas from all the makeup)

Private
July 11th 03, 08:21 PM
"gruhn" > wrote in message
> > Maybe ounce for ounce,
>
> Certainly oz. for oz., but I didn't want to put that in up front.
>
> > the most 'ferocious'?
>
> Wouldn't know how to guage that, but it does seem familiar.
>
> > Now I've got myself wanting a feature film starring a giant one modeled
> in...
>
> ...Milan during the haute coture show. Giant ant lion scarfing down 3d
super
> models bwa ha ha ha...

I *like* it...
The supermodels, as per their designation 'super', could have super powers,
but in a counterintuitive plot twist, they prove insifficient!
bwa ha ha ha...
And at the end we see the ant lion walking into the sunset, satisfied and
satiated... (albeit with a little gas from all the makeup)

gruhn
July 11th 03, 11:38 PM
> satiated... (albeit with a little gas from all the makeup)

You've noticed that too, eh?

gruhn
July 11th 03, 11:38 PM
> satiated... (albeit with a little gas from all the makeup)

You've noticed that too, eh?

Private
July 12th 03, 08:26 PM
"Don"
> "Private"
> > Up here in Ontario I recently discovered that we have the occasional
house
> > centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one
> evening
> > I turned on the kitchen light and saw one on the floor react to it by
> > momentarily spinning in a circle a few times really fast and then
darting
> > under the fridge.
> >
> > The next time I saw it, it stood still momentarily, so I grabbed a glass
> > jar, caught it, and put it beside my computer while I went online to see
> > what it was.
> > It seemed pretty calm and casual in the jar after a short while,
cleaning
> > its legs and antennae. Normally I catch bugs with my hands- the ones I
> know-
> > but I found that they do bite and it can hurt as much as a bee sting.
>
> We have a bright green *hairy* catepillar here in FL that eats holes in
the
> Hibiscus plants.
> Couple years ago one of our Hibiscus's was covered with them, I started
> grabbing them off the bush.
> OOOOOOUUUUUUCCCHHHHHH!!!!!
> Jaysus.....that thing stang the you know what out of me. My whole hand
swole
> up and burned unbelieveably.
> Living in FL for 30+ years I had never touched one of those catepillars
> before, and never will again. Extremely dangerous.

Okay I admit to chuckling at your expense, but the way you put it... :-)
Viscious little guys though...

Private
July 12th 03, 08:26 PM
"Don"
> "Private"
> > Up here in Ontario I recently discovered that we have the occasional
house
> > centipede. I'd never seen one before and was pretty creeped when one
> evening
> > I turned on the kitchen light and saw one on the floor react to it by
> > momentarily spinning in a circle a few times really fast and then
darting
> > under the fridge.
> >
> > The next time I saw it, it stood still momentarily, so I grabbed a glass
> > jar, caught it, and put it beside my computer while I went online to see
> > what it was.
> > It seemed pretty calm and casual in the jar after a short while,
cleaning
> > its legs and antennae. Normally I catch bugs with my hands- the ones I
> know-
> > but I found that they do bite and it can hurt as much as a bee sting.
>
> We have a bright green *hairy* catepillar here in FL that eats holes in
the
> Hibiscus plants.
> Couple years ago one of our Hibiscus's was covered with them, I started
> grabbing them off the bush.
> OOOOOOUUUUUUCCCHHHHHH!!!!!
> Jaysus.....that thing stang the you know what out of me. My whole hand
swole
> up and burned unbelieveably.
> Living in FL for 30+ years I had never touched one of those catepillars
> before, and never will again. Extremely dangerous.

Okay I admit to chuckling at your expense, but the way you put it... :-)
Viscious little guys though...

Google