PDA

View Full Version : Vivitar Digital 3715 cameras any good / other recommendations?

Robert Box
July 9th 03, 03:27 PM
I have read a number of reviews on the 3715 Vivitar cameras. They seem
to be pretty good. 3.3 meg pix user friendly. I am just looking for a
decent quality dig. that will take good pics at a fair price.

Any recommendations ??

Thanks

Lee K
July 9th 03, 04:55 PM
"Robert Box" > wrote in message
om...
> I have read a number of reviews on the 3715 Vivitar cameras. They seem
> to be pretty good. 3.3 meg pix user friendly. I am just looking for a
> decent quality dig. that will take good pics at a fair price.
>
> Any recommendations ??
>
> Thanks

Here are a few sites regarding digital photography and digital cameras:

A complete guide to digital photography
http://www.shortcourses.com/

Digital camera product reviews
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Digital camera information and news
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Lee K
July 9th 03, 04:55 PM
"Robert Box" > wrote in message
om...
> I have read a number of reviews on the 3715 Vivitar cameras. They seem
> to be pretty good. 3.3 meg pix user friendly. I am just looking for a
> decent quality dig. that will take good pics at a fair price.
>
> Any recommendations ??
>
> Thanks

Here are a few sites regarding digital photography and digital cameras:

A complete guide to digital photography
http://www.shortcourses.com/

Digital camera product reviews
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Digital camera information and news
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

July 15th 03, 10:15 AM
Re: Vivitar Digital 3715 cameras any good / other recommendations? - amateur
prognostication on digicams
"djohnson" > wrote in message
> Old_Timer On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:37:52 -0700 wrote,
>
> >Expect the prices of digital cameras to fall like a rock over the next
> >year.
>
> ...as they have since consumer digital cameras first came out. About a
> year or two ago, the prices slowed down enough that you'll likely get
> $100 worth of use before the price drops $100.

5mp will become the consumer standard mp. I'd estimate that decent features
and 3x zoom lens will settle at about $250. More features such as lenses
threaded for adapters or wider zooms will cost another $100? ie like decent
low end SLRs.

those cheap p&s cameras have sh11ty zoom lens. and as prices of digicams
have fallen, their lens have cheapened too.
got to Keller's dcresource fro more friendly reviews.

if you don't mind design defects/deficiencies, certain models are
remaindered. sharp and Minolta at fry's under $200 for 3mp,3x optical. and
some features such as manual control. (check specific review/specs)

also canon and probably other mfrs sell off models just before they are
replaced (a70 replaced a40 a few months ago)

see pcmag survey in July 02 (maybe 03 is up?) and cu buyers guide survey

if I recall only canon Olympus Minolta Fuji did well in both surveys

Nikon did well in one survey, not the other
Nikon and Sony begin with lens that are not wide enough. very annoying and a
shortcoming of ALL digicams that aren't pro (or perhaps semi-pro)
Sony and Nikon have tended to offer more features for a higher price.

many of the old dayz big name film camera brands offer sh11ty and pricy
digicams. some are clones of budget brands (Casio Panasonic) which are also
often overpriced (presumably because of low sales volume)

appears to be only PC survey for 03 but has link to 02 surveys

my scan of cu is from 2002?
Visual percentages:
Sony 2.6?
Cano 3.1?
Olympus 4.8?
Fuji 4.9?
HP 5.2?
The rest are sh!!tier

"djohnson" > wrote in message
> Old_Timer On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:37:52 -0700 wrote,
>
> >Expect the prices of digital cameras to fall like a rock over the next
> >year.
>
> ...as they have since consumer digital cameras first came out. About a
> year or two ago, the prices slowed down enough that you'll likely get
> $100 worth of use before the price drops $100.

5mp will become the consumer standard mp. I'd estimate that decent features
and 3x zoom lens will settle at about $250. More features such as lenses
threaded for adapters or wider zooms will cost another $100? ie like decent
low end SLRs.

those cheap p&s cameras have sh11ty zoom lens. and as prices of digicams
have fallen, their lens have cheapened too.
got to Keller's dcresource fro more friendly reviews.

if you don't mind design defects/deficiencies, certain models are
remaindered. sharp and Minolta at fry's under $200 for 3mp,3x optical. and
some features such as manual control. (check specific review/specs)

also canon and probably other mfrs sell off models just before they are
replaced (a70 replaced a40 a few months ago)

see pcmag survey in July 02 (maybe 03 is up?) and cu buyers guide survey

if I recall only canon Olympus Minolta Fuji did well in both surveys

Nikon did well in one survey, not the other
Nikon and Sony begin with lens that are not wide enough. very annoying and a
shortcoming of ALL digicams that aren't pro (or perhaps semi-pro)
Sony and Nikon have tended to offer more features for a higher price.

many of the old dayz big name film camera brands offer sh11ty and pricy
digicams. some are clones of budget brands (Casio Panasonic) which are also
often overpriced (presumably because of low sales volume)

appears to be only PC survey for 03 but has link to 02 surveys

my scan of cu is from 2002?
Visual percentages:
Sony 2.6?
Cano 3.1?
Olympus 4.8?
Fuji 4.9?
HP 5.2?
The rest are sh!!tier

Owain
July 16th 03, 10:33 PM
> wrote
> those cheap p&s cameras have sh11ty zoom lens. and as prices of digicams
> have fallen, their lens have cheapened too. ...
> if I recall only canon Olympus Minolta Fuji did well in both surveys

The megapixels determines (roughly) how large the image can be
printed. What determines the quality of that image is the quality of
the optics, image sensor, and other electronics and firmware. Things
like colour balance and image distortion are worse on poor cameras,
which are not necessarily much cheaper than a good one of the same
basic spec.

2MP is fine for home printing up to 10'x8'. If the images are mostly
for web use or putting on CD-ROM then 1MP will be fine.

I think better to go for a 2MP with an optical zoom, from a good brand
(Fuji, Olympus my favourites) than a 3MP that is actually worse
quality.

Owain

Owain
July 16th 03, 10:33 PM
> wrote
> those cheap p&s cameras have sh11ty zoom lens. and as prices of digicams
> have fallen, their lens have cheapened too. ...
> if I recall only canon Olympus Minolta Fuji did well in both surveys

The megapixels determines (roughly) how large the image can be
printed. What determines the quality of that image is the quality of
the optics, image sensor, and other electronics and firmware. Things
like colour balance and image distortion are worse on poor cameras,
which are not necessarily much cheaper than a good one of the same
basic spec.

2MP is fine for home printing up to 10'x8'. If the images are mostly
for web use or putting on CD-ROM then 1MP will be fine.

I think better to go for a 2MP with an optical zoom, from a good brand
(Fuji, Olympus my favourites) than a 3MP that is actually worse
quality.

Owain

Google