PDA

View Full Version : Frugal trip to Europe

Semi-Detached
July 9th 03, 11:52 PM
I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a band that never
tours America so I don't really care about seeing the sights or doing tourist
type stuff.

drifter
July 10th 03, 06:10 AM
Only you will know how extensively the band will be traveling and to
where - transportation costs - Eurorail pass may be appropriate. You
haven't said what kind of person you are. I can live as cheaply in
Europe as I can at home, basically same monthly expenses. But then let
me remind you that I slept in the parks after dark in Europe when I
couldn't get proper accommodation, I cooked my meals in city parks and
stayed in campgrounds. Most people I know, wouldn't to that. I am in
my 50s. When people always asked me how I could afford to go to Europe,
I always said anybody can if you sleep under parked cars as I do. (grin)

Holland is great, but Amsterdam can be expensive for accommodations and,
also be reminded, that modest accommodations in Europe is not a Motel 6,
far from it. The band won't probably be playing every night and if they
do they will probably play mostly the same songs. The days and nights
could be very long if your only reason for travelling to Europe is a
particular band or band member!

Semi-Detached wrote:

> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
> Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
> ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a band that never
> tours America so I don't really care about seeing the sights or doing tourist
> type stuff.

Semi-Detached
July 10th 03, 07:09 AM
>From: drifter
>Date: 7/9/03 9:10 PM Pacific

>Only you will know how extensively the band will be traveling and to
>where - transportation costs - Eurorail pass may be appropriate. You
>haven't said what kind of person you are.

Adult male heterosexual.

>I can live as cheaply in
>Europe as I can at home, basically same monthly expenses. But then let
>me remind you that I slept in the parks after dark in Europe when I
>couldn't get proper accommodation, I cooked my meals in city parks and
>stayed in campgrounds. Most people I know, wouldn't to that.

Usually such a thing wouldnt bother me but I will also have some expensive
portable electronics on me which is why I would rather stay in a secure room
rather than a hostel or park. But yeah Ive spent the night on the streets of
San Diego, Ventura and Irvine waiting for the next train in the morning when I
didnt want to spring for an overpriced room.

> The band won't probably be playing every night and if they
>do they will probably play mostly the same songs.

Yeah the setlist varies little from date to date but I love all their songs and
they have put out 4 new albums since the last time they played my
neighborhood. They will play a few nights in a row in different cities
throughout Europe I suppose. They just play clubs so I doubt they can afford
too many nights off a week.

>The days and nights
>could be very long if your only reason for travelling to Europe is a
>particular band or band member!

Ive done it before in America! And I suppose I could hang out at the hash bars
or try to meet chicks or whatever.

Semi-Detached
July 10th 03, 07:09 AM
>From: drifter
>Date: 7/9/03 9:10 PM Pacific

>Only you will know how extensively the band will be traveling and to
>where - transportation costs - Eurorail pass may be appropriate. You
>haven't said what kind of person you are.

Adult male heterosexual.

>I can live as cheaply in
>Europe as I can at home, basically same monthly expenses. But then let
>me remind you that I slept in the parks after dark in Europe when I
>couldn't get proper accommodation, I cooked my meals in city parks and
>stayed in campgrounds. Most people I know, wouldn't to that.

Usually such a thing wouldnt bother me but I will also have some expensive
portable electronics on me which is why I would rather stay in a secure room
rather than a hostel or park. But yeah Ive spent the night on the streets of
San Diego, Ventura and Irvine waiting for the next train in the morning when I
didnt want to spring for an overpriced room.

> The band won't probably be playing every night and if they
>do they will probably play mostly the same songs.

Yeah the setlist varies little from date to date but I love all their songs and
they have put out 4 new albums since the last time they played my
neighborhood. They will play a few nights in a row in different cities
throughout Europe I suppose. They just play clubs so I doubt they can afford
too many nights off a week.

>The days and nights
>could be very long if your only reason for travelling to Europe is a
>particular band or band member!

Ive done it before in America! And I suppose I could hang out at the hash bars
or try to meet chicks or whatever.

Charles Hobbs
July 10th 03, 08:07 AM
Semi-Detached wrote:
> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
> Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
> ideas how much money I will need?

The folks over in rec.travel.europe should be helpful. Also, check out
the airline and travel sites to get an idea of fares, hotel costs, etc.
(They're constantly changing and often have specials during the off-peak)

Charles Hobbs
July 10th 03, 08:07 AM
Semi-Detached wrote:
> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
> Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
> ideas how much money I will need?

The folks over in rec.travel.europe should be helpful. Also, check out
the airline and travel sites to get an idea of fares, hotel costs, etc.
(They're constantly changing and often have specials during the off-peak)

Elana Kehoe
July 10th 03, 08:59 AM
Semi-Detached > wrote:

> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
> Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
> ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a band that never
> tours America so I don't really care about seeing the sights or doing tourist
> type stuff.

Yeah, you want to go to Holland to follow a band...uh huh. You know the
pot is cheap there, but it's illegal to smoke it? Or is it the other
way around? It's either illegal to smoke or to posess, but not both.

Anyway, check www.cheaptickets.com. Or look into being a courier, if
that still happens post-WTC attacks. Some universities will rent out
their dorm rooms over the summer... I also know that the Food Network's
show $40 A Day did a show on Amsterdam, so that might be one place to
look. And I can't recommend highly enough the Let's Go... Guidebooks.
Written by Harvard students, we've found clean, nice places to stay, and
excellent cheap food.

Elana Kehoe
July 10th 03, 08:59 AM
Semi-Detached > wrote:

> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
> Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
> ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a band that never
> tours America so I don't really care about seeing the sights or doing tourist
> type stuff.

Yeah, you want to go to Holland to follow a band...uh huh. You know the
pot is cheap there, but it's illegal to smoke it? Or is it the other
way around? It's either illegal to smoke or to posess, but not both.

Anyway, check www.cheaptickets.com. Or look into being a courier, if
that still happens post-WTC attacks. Some universities will rent out
their dorm rooms over the summer... I also know that the Food Network's
show $40 A Day did a show on Amsterdam, so that might be one place to
look. And I can't recommend highly enough the Let's Go... Guidebooks.
Written by Harvard students, we've found clean, nice places to stay, and
excellent cheap food.

Ben Hutchings
July 10th 03, 11:08 AM
In article >, drifter wrote:
<snip>
> Holland is great, but Amsterdam can be expensive for accommodations and,
> also be reminded, that modest accommodations in Europe is not a Motel 6,
> far from it.
<snip>

Actually Motel 6 has a European partner called Hotel Formule 1.

Ben Hutchings
July 10th 03, 11:08 AM
In article >, drifter wrote:
<snip>
> Holland is great, but Amsterdam can be expensive for accommodations and,
> also be reminded, that modest accommodations in Europe is not a Motel 6,
> far from it.
<snip>

Actually Motel 6 has a European partner called Hotel Formule 1.

Semi-Detached
July 10th 03, 05:47 PM

>If you're following the band, how about
>seeing if you can sign on as a roadie or general laborer? You might not make
>much cash, if any, but bed and board are usually included.

They've been around for over 10 years and I am pretty sure they use the same
road crew each time. Besides I would be going to play, not work!

Also I don't think the band will be playing Amsterdam, more likely Den Haag or
Eindhoven or Rotterdam. I think I also heard Zwolle mentioned. I doubt it will
be more than 1 or 2 in Holland, but France and Germany are close by.

>However, if there is more than one person
>traveling to the same place, a car rental (only if you drive a manual
>transmission) is much more convenient and less expensive than two train
>tickets.

I dont even have an American drivers license but hitch-hiking doesnt sound like
a bad idea to me!

Semi-Detached
July 10th 03, 05:47 PM

>If you're following the band, how about
>seeing if you can sign on as a roadie or general laborer? You might not make
>much cash, if any, but bed and board are usually included.

They've been around for over 10 years and I am pretty sure they use the same
road crew each time. Besides I would be going to play, not work!

Also I don't think the band will be playing Amsterdam, more likely Den Haag or
Eindhoven or Rotterdam. I think I also heard Zwolle mentioned. I doubt it will
be more than 1 or 2 in Holland, but France and Germany are close by.

>However, if there is more than one person
>traveling to the same place, a car rental (only if you drive a manual
>transmission) is much more convenient and less expensive than two train
>tickets.

I dont even have an American drivers license but hitch-hiking doesnt sound like
a bad idea to me!

Semi-Detached
July 10th 03, 05:48 PM
>From: (Elana Kehoe)

>Yeah, you want to go to Holland to follow a band...uh huh. You know the
>pot is cheap there, but it's illegal to smoke it? Or is it the other
>way around? It's either illegal to smoke or to posess, but not both.

I dont plan on buying or holding but pot smokers tend to naturally gravitate to
each other. Then again I havent smoked in months and dont really intend to any
time in the near future so by the time fall rolls around it may not even be an
issue.

Semi-Detached
July 10th 03, 05:48 PM
>From: (Elana Kehoe)

>Yeah, you want to go to Holland to follow a band...uh huh. You know the
>pot is cheap there, but it's illegal to smoke it? Or is it the other
>way around? It's either illegal to smoke or to posess, but not both.

I dont plan on buying or holding but pot smokers tend to naturally gravitate to
each other. Then again I havent smoked in months and dont really intend to any
time in the near future so by the time fall rolls around it may not even be an
issue.

Elana Kehoe
July 10th 03, 06:37 PM
Semi-Detached > wrote:

> >From: (Elana Kehoe)
>

> >Yeah, you want to go to Holland to follow a band...uh huh. You know the
> >pot is cheap there, but it's illegal to smoke it? Or is it the other way
> >around? It's either illegal to smoke or to posess, but not both.
>
> I dont plan on buying or holding but pot smokers tend to naturally
> gravitate to each other. Then again I havent smoked in months and dont
> really intend to any time in the near future so by the time fall rolls
> around it may not even be an issue.

Wow...it's a whole new Grotus, innit? <sniff>

You might want to think of getting your mom her Christmas present there,
so you won't be in a panic again...

Elana Kehoe
July 10th 03, 06:37 PM
Semi-Detached > wrote:

> >From: (Elana Kehoe)
>

> >Yeah, you want to go to Holland to follow a band...uh huh. You know the
> >pot is cheap there, but it's illegal to smoke it? Or is it the other way
> >around? It's either illegal to smoke or to posess, but not both.
>
> I dont plan on buying or holding but pot smokers tend to naturally
> gravitate to each other. Then again I havent smoked in months and dont
> really intend to any time in the near future so by the time fall rolls
> around it may not even be an issue.

Wow...it's a whole new Grotus, innit? <sniff>

You might want to think of getting your mom her Christmas present there,
so you won't be in a panic again...

Nick Pine
July 10th 03, 08:46 PM
Fritz M +> wrote:

>...European discount hotels are more expensive but lower quality that
>American discount hotels. That's been my experience anyway.

I made a tube tent for my first trip to Europe--some clothesline and
a large piece of plastic film... 12 weeks, with an 11 lb backpack...

Nick

Nick Pine
July 10th 03, 08:46 PM
Fritz M +> wrote:

>...European discount hotels are more expensive but lower quality that
>American discount hotels. That's been my experience anyway.

I made a tube tent for my first trip to Europe--some clothesline and
a large piece of plastic film... 12 weeks, with an 11 lb backpack...

Nick

Tracey
July 10th 03, 09:52 PM
Semi-Detached wrote:

> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe
> Holland. Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any
> pointers or any ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a
> band that never tours America so I don't really care about seeing the
> sights or doing tourist type stuff.

You might want to try looking at the Lonely Planet website. They have a
good Bulletin Board called the THorn Tree where you can ask/read questions
about travelling on a small budget (esp. backpacker style).
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

You'll want to check the "western Europe" section for information about The
Netherlands. I imagine that if you post the name of the band in a
question, you can get very specific information from someone.

Tracey
July 10th 03, 09:52 PM
Semi-Detached wrote:

> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe
> Holland. Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any
> pointers or any ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a
> band that never tours America so I don't really care about seeing the
> sights or doing tourist type stuff.

You might want to try looking at the Lonely Planet website. They have a
good Bulletin Board called the THorn Tree where you can ask/read questions
about travelling on a small budget (esp. backpacker style).
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

You'll want to check the "western Europe" section for information about The
Netherlands. I imagine that if you post the name of the band in a
question, you can get very specific information from someone.

Me
July 11th 03, 01:52 AM
In article >,
(Semi-Detached) wrote:

> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
> Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
> ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a band that never
> tours America so I don't really care about seeing the sights or doing tourist
> type stuff.

Check out the "Let's Go" series of books on European travel. These books
can be found in the travel section of any decent bookstore. They are
written by college students who have learned how to travel throughout
Europe on a shoestring budget. There's also a newsgroup called
rec.travel.europe which is a great resource for posing questions about
European travel.

Me
July 11th 03, 01:52 AM
In article >,
(Semi-Detached) wrote:

> I kinda want to go to Europe this fall, not quite sure where, maybe Holland.
> Doubt I will get enough money together but just in case, any pointers or any
> ideas how much money I will need? Mainly going to follow a band that never
> tours America so I don't really care about seeing the sights or doing tourist
> type stuff.

Check out the "Let's Go" series of books on European travel. These books
can be found in the travel section of any decent bookstore. They are
written by college students who have learned how to travel throughout
Europe on a shoestring budget. There's also a newsgroup called
rec.travel.europe which is a great resource for posing questions about
European travel.

Google