PDA

View Full Version : More Laundry 101 and other stuff

Jim
July 10th 03, 02:50 AM
First, thanks to Slinkytoy and Candide for your help the other day! I'm
working on a load of towels right now. I don't have any Dawn handy, but
have a full box of Cascade. Would this work or be a waste of time?
With the hot water, I figure it will dissolve just fine. Will it work
as or nearly as well as the Dawn? Thanks!

Elana Kehoe
July 10th 03, 08:59 AM
SlinkyToy > wrote:

> Remember I said to load the machine and then let everything soak? If you
> agitate Dawn it'll suds up and you'll be bailing for days. Cascade doesn't
> do that - if it did you couldn't use it in the dishwasher.
>
> Cheap shampoo, or Dawn would be my recommendation, but that's only because I
> don't *know* how Cascade behaves with grease and I do know how the other two
> will act.

I remember that Amy Daczyczn's stain remover recipe was half Cascade (by
name) and half powdered Clorox...

Elana Kehoe
July 10th 03, 08:59 AM
SlinkyToy > wrote:

> Remember I said to load the machine and then let everything soak? If you
> agitate Dawn it'll suds up and you'll be bailing for days. Cascade doesn't
> do that - if it did you couldn't use it in the dishwasher.
>
> Cheap shampoo, or Dawn would be my recommendation, but that's only because I
> don't *know* how Cascade behaves with grease and I do know how the other two
> will act.

I remember that Amy Daczyczn's stain remover recipe was half Cascade (by
name) and half powdered Clorox...

Jim
July 11th 03, 08:37 PM
Ok, I'm ready to dry! :D Unfortunately, I don't have a clothesline to
dry them on. The best thing I have is two trees I MIGHT be able to rig
up some fishing line or whatever. Probably wouldn't be strong enough
though. I've hung up some stuff already but things like towels and
sheets are too wide to do that. I could fold them but they wouldn't dry
right. I've looked into hanging tensioned curtain rods but they don't
hold a lot and don't seem very secure.

How long can you put things in the dryer before the stain really starts
to set? I mean can you just get the damp out of the clothes and not
steaming warm and still be ok with the color/stain not setting? Thanks
all!

Elana Kehoe > wrote in message
> SlinkyToy > wrote:
>
> > Remember I said to load the machine and then let everything soak?
If you
> > agitate Dawn it'll suds up and you'll be bailing for days. Cascade
doesn't
> > do that - if it did you couldn't use it in the dishwasher.
> >
> > Cheap shampoo, or Dawn would be my recommendation, but that's only
because I
> > don't *know* how Cascade behaves with grease and I do know how the
other two
> > will act.
>
> I remember that Amy Daczyczn's stain remover recipe was half Cascade
(by
> name) and half powdered Clorox...

Jim
July 11th 03, 08:37 PM
Ok, I'm ready to dry! :D Unfortunately, I don't have a clothesline to
dry them on. The best thing I have is two trees I MIGHT be able to rig
up some fishing line or whatever. Probably wouldn't be strong enough
though. I've hung up some stuff already but things like towels and
sheets are too wide to do that. I could fold them but they wouldn't dry
right. I've looked into hanging tensioned curtain rods but they don't
hold a lot and don't seem very secure.

How long can you put things in the dryer before the stain really starts
to set? I mean can you just get the damp out of the clothes and not
steaming warm and still be ok with the color/stain not setting? Thanks
all!

Elana Kehoe > wrote in message
> SlinkyToy > wrote:
>
> > Remember I said to load the machine and then let everything soak?
If you
> > agitate Dawn it'll suds up and you'll be bailing for days. Cascade
doesn't
> > do that - if it did you couldn't use it in the dishwasher.
> >
> > Cheap shampoo, or Dawn would be my recommendation, but that's only
because I
> > don't *know* how Cascade behaves with grease and I do know how the
other two
> > will act.
>
> I remember that Amy Daczyczn's stain remover recipe was half Cascade
(by
> name) and half powdered Clorox...

Gary Heston
July 12th 03, 04:18 AM
In article >,
Jim > wrote:
>Ok, I'm ready to dry! :D Unfortunately, I don't have a clothesline to
>dry them on. The best thing I have is two trees I MIGHT be able to rig
>up some fishing line or whatever. Probably wouldn't be strong enough
>though.

No, you need at least 3/16" rope, or steel wire. Antenna guy wire works
well, as it doesn't sag as much as rope.

> I've hung up some stuff already but things like towels and
>sheets are too wide to do that. I could fold them but they wouldn't dry
>right. I've looked into hanging tensioned curtain rods but they don't
>hold a lot and don't seem very secure.

You can get fold-up wooden racks for this sort of thing.

>How long can you put things in the dryer before the stain really starts
>to set? I mean can you just get the damp out of the clothes and not
>steaming warm and still be ok with the color/stain not setting? Thanks
>all!
[ ... ]

By the time you get the damp out, they're going to be steaming warm, and
any stain that sets by heat will have set hard. I haven't closely timed
drying a load, but 45-60 minutes with an electric dryer would be a
reasonable range. The more you cram in, the longer it takes...

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."

Gary Heston
July 12th 03, 04:18 AM
In article >,
Jim > wrote:
>Ok, I'm ready to dry! :D Unfortunately, I don't have a clothesline to
>dry them on. The best thing I have is two trees I MIGHT be able to rig
>up some fishing line or whatever. Probably wouldn't be strong enough
>though.

No, you need at least 3/16" rope, or steel wire. Antenna guy wire works
well, as it doesn't sag as much as rope.

> I've hung up some stuff already but things like towels and
>sheets are too wide to do that. I could fold them but they wouldn't dry
>right. I've looked into hanging tensioned curtain rods but they don't
>hold a lot and don't seem very secure.

You can get fold-up wooden racks for this sort of thing.

>How long can you put things in the dryer before the stain really starts
>to set? I mean can you just get the damp out of the clothes and not
>steaming warm and still be ok with the color/stain not setting? Thanks
>all!
[ ... ]

By the time you get the damp out, they're going to be steaming warm, and
any stain that sets by heat will have set hard. I haven't closely timed
drying a load, but 45-60 minutes with an electric dryer would be a
reasonable range. The more you cram in, the longer it takes...

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."
Wally: "Were we doing well?"
Dilbert, 5/23/3

Google