PDA

View Full Version : Re: Frugal choices that aren't really frugal

NW
July 10th 03, 01:50 AM
myname wrote:
[snip interested stuff]

Good observation. Will keep a note of
this.

> Where I live it
> isn't often very warm, and I probably am paying to heat my home about
> 80% of the time, year round.

I assume you are somewhere near the Puget Sound area like me.
This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.

--
Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr
This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr

http://forums.club-internet.fr/

NW
July 10th 03, 01:50 AM
myname wrote:
[snip interested stuff]

Good observation. Will keep a note of
this.

> Where I live it
> isn't often very warm, and I probably am paying to heat my home about
> 80% of the time, year round.

I assume you are somewhere near the Puget Sound area like me.
This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.

--
Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr
This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr

http://forums.club-internet.fr/

timeOday
July 10th 03, 03:53 AM
Here's a recent thread from this newsgroup on that subject.

<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=lY2dnXmoe65Es72jXTWcoQ%40comcast.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as_drrb%3Db%26q%3Dauthor%253AtimeOday%2Bgroup% 253A*frugal*%2Benergy%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26a s_mind%3D1%26as_minm%3D1%26as_miny%3D2000%26as_max d%3D31%26as_maxm%3D12%26as_maxy%3D2003>

JoelnCaryn
July 10th 03, 06:35 AM
>Now, if you live in some hot hellish place like Arizona or southern
>California, you're probably better off with the fluorescent bulbs,
>although even then not in the winter.

No, they work just fine in the winter. If I don't ever turn on the heat pump
here in Phoenix the house won't drop below 63F... I don't *need* heat. :-)

JoelnCaryn
July 10th 03, 06:35 AM
>Now, if you live in some hot hellish place like Arizona or southern
>California, you're probably better off with the fluorescent bulbs,
>although even then not in the winter.

No, they work just fine in the winter. If I don't ever turn on the heat pump
here in Phoenix the house won't drop below 63F... I don't *need* heat. :-)

Steve
July 10th 03, 05:08 PM
"myname" > wrote in message
om...

<snip>:

: Now, if you live in some hot hellish place like Arizona <snip>

"Hell would be an improvement!"
-- General William T. Sherman

HEY!!
It's only been 3-months since the last sprinkle of rain --
The last 15-days have only been slightly over 110 with night-time lows in
the high 80s

We haven't even started to cook!
(We're just soaking it up so we stay comfy all next winter!)
--
Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

Steve
July 10th 03, 05:08 PM
"myname" > wrote in message
om...

<snip>:

: Now, if you live in some hot hellish place like Arizona <snip>

"Hell would be an improvement!"
-- General William T. Sherman

HEY!!
It's only been 3-months since the last sprinkle of rain --
The last 15-days have only been slightly over 110 with night-time lows in
the high 80s

We haven't even started to cook!
(We're just soaking it up so we stay comfy all next winter!)
--
Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/
Mesa, AZ
Penury Is the Mother of Invention

Bob Ward
July 11th 03, 02:38 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:11:37 GMT, Anthony Matonak
> wrote:

>Old_Timer wrote:
>> On 9 Jul 2003 14:39:36 -0700, (myname) wrote:
>>
>>>Something that many people may not realize: if you are heating your
>>>home with electric heat, none of your electric appliances are actually
>>>using up any electricity.
>>
>> If you are heating with Gas wouldn't the heat produced by electrical
>> have exactly the same effect. The heat they produce, if enough, will
>> be sensed by the thermostat that contros the gas furnace.
>
>It would work that way but then you would be heating your house, at
>least in part, with electricity instead of gas. Gas is cheaper.
>
>Anthony

No, if you have to run the electrical appliance anyway, the heat is a
free byproduct of that use. Gas can't get any cheaper than free.

Bob Ward
July 11th 03, 02:38 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:11:37 GMT, Anthony Matonak
> wrote:

>Old_Timer wrote:
>> On 9 Jul 2003 14:39:36 -0700, (myname) wrote:
>>
>>>Something that many people may not realize: if you are heating your
>>>home with electric heat, none of your electric appliances are actually
>>>using up any electricity.
>>
>> If you are heating with Gas wouldn't the heat produced by electrical
>> have exactly the same effect. The heat they produce, if enough, will
>> be sensed by the thermostat that contros the gas furnace.
>
>It would work that way but then you would be heating your house, at
>least in part, with electricity instead of gas. Gas is cheaper.
>
>Anthony

No, if you have to run the electrical appliance anyway, the heat is a
free byproduct of that use. Gas can't get any cheaper than free.

Don K
July 11th 03, 03:16 AM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:11:37 GMT, Anthony Matonak
> > wrote:
>
> >Old_Timer wrote:

> >> If you are heating with Gas wouldn't the heat produced by electrical
> >> have exactly the same effect. The heat they produce, if enough, will
> >> be sensed by the thermostat that contros the gas furnace.
> >
> >It would work that way but then you would be heating your house, at
> >least in part, with electricity instead of gas. Gas is cheaper.
> >
> >Anthony
>

> No, if you have to run the electrical appliance anyway, the heat is a
> free byproduct of that use. Gas can't get any cheaper than free.

No one said you had to run the appliance. The gist of the initial claim
was that you can run an electrical appliance without incurring a cost
penalty, as long as the heat produced was useful for heating the house.

Obviously if the cost of gas energy is less than the cost of electrical
energy, then the initial claim does not hold true for all cases.

Don

Don K
July 11th 03, 03:16 AM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:11:37 GMT, Anthony Matonak
> > wrote:
>
> >Old_Timer wrote:

> >> If you are heating with Gas wouldn't the heat produced by electrical
> >> have exactly the same effect. The heat they produce, if enough, will
> >> be sensed by the thermostat that contros the gas furnace.
> >
> >It would work that way but then you would be heating your house, at
> >least in part, with electricity instead of gas. Gas is cheaper.
> >
> >Anthony
>

> No, if you have to run the electrical appliance anyway, the heat is a
> free byproduct of that use. Gas can't get any cheaper than free.

No one said you had to run the appliance. The gist of the initial claim
was that you can run an electrical appliance without incurring a cost
penalty, as long as the heat produced was useful for heating the house.

Obviously if the cost of gas energy is less than the cost of electrical
energy, then the initial claim does not hold true for all cases.

Don

jean and bill
July 11th 03, 03:58 AM
In article >, says...
> This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
> it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.

Actually, godforsaken Long Island, NY is in the low 60's as I type this
(Thurs., July 10, 2003)

Jeannie
--
To reply to me, remove *spamenot* from address.

jean and bill
July 11th 03, 03:58 AM
In article >, says...
> This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
> it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.

Actually, godforsaken Long Island, NY is in the low 60's as I type this
(Thurs., July 10, 2003)

Jeannie
--
To reply to me, remove *spamenot* from address.

Dan Birchall
July 11th 03, 04:07 AM
(jean and bill) wrote:
> In article >, says...
> > This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
> > it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.

> Actually, godforsaken Long Island, NY is in the low 60's as I type this
> (Thurs., July 10, 2003)

High 60's at night here... but... well, it's almost always high 60's
at night here. Oh well.

--
If you spam this address, you (obviously) agree to pay me $100/spam.

Dan Birchall
July 11th 03, 04:07 AM
(jean and bill) wrote:
> In article >, says...
> > This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
> > it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.

> Actually, godforsaken Long Island, NY is in the low 60's as I type this
> (Thurs., July 10, 2003)

High 60's at night here... but... well, it's almost always high 60's
at night here. Oh well.

--
If you spam this address, you (obviously) agree to pay me $100/spam.

Nina
July 11th 03, 06:51 AM
"Dan Birchall" > wrote in
message
all.com...
> (jean and bill) wrote:
> > In article >, says...
> > > This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
> > > it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.
>
> > Actually, godforsaken Long Island, NY is in the low 60's as I type this
> > (Thurs., July 10, 2003)
>
> High 60's at night here... but... well, it's almost always high 60's
> at night here. Oh well.

Is this bad or good? Its in the 50's here. Back in GA it would stay in the
70's all night

Nina
July 11th 03, 06:51 AM
"Dan Birchall" > wrote in
message
all.com...
> (jean and bill) wrote:
> > In article >, says...
> > > This is probably the only godforsaken place in the country where
> > > it's in the low 60's at nighttime even now.
>
> > Actually, godforsaken Long Island, NY is in the low 60's as I type this
> > (Thurs., July 10, 2003)
>
> High 60's at night here... but... well, it's almost always high 60's
> at night here. Oh well.

Is this bad or good? Its in the 50's here. Back in GA it would stay in the
70's all night

Cymen Vig
July 11th 03, 03:07 PM
myname wrote:

> So, you turn on your toaster, or your lamp, or your tv, or your
> vaccuum cleaner, and they produce a bunch of heat. This raises your
> home's temperature, which is registered by your thermostat, which
> tells your home's heating system to produce less heat.

Am I the only one reading this and having visions of people running out and
buying 10 toasters and a fan to heat their house because they didn't pay
attention to the whole post?

Cymen Vig
July 11th 03, 03:07 PM
myname wrote:

> So, you turn on your toaster, or your lamp, or your tv, or your
> vaccuum cleaner, and they produce a bunch of heat. This raises your
> home's temperature, which is registered by your thermostat, which
> tells your home's heating system to produce less heat.

Am I the only one reading this and having visions of people running out and
buying 10 toasters and a fan to heat their house because they didn't pay
attention to the whole post?

myname
July 11th 03, 04:26 PM
"Bob" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "myname" > wrote in message
> > :) Yes, I am in the Seattle area. And even in mid July, my baseboard
> > heaters still come on at night, early morning, etc.
>
> Turn them off. If they heat in the morning or night, it just gets that much
> hotter during the day. Letting your heat turn on this time of the year is
> just wasting $. I run a fan during the early morning, then close up the
> house to keep it cooler all day. Why throw away the best chance you get at
> afternoon comfort by throwing away $ on heat in the AM?
>
> Bob

Not a problem. I have never seen the temperature in my condo go above
75 degrees, even when the high temperature of the day is 90 outside.

I have no idea why this is. Perhaps because my building is surrounded
by and shaded by trees, perhaps it's well insulated, who knows. I
keep all the windows closed during the day when it's hot out to keep
the heat from coming in.

myname
July 11th 03, 04:26 PM
"Bob" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "myname" > wrote in message
> > :) Yes, I am in the Seattle area. And even in mid July, my baseboard
> > heaters still come on at night, early morning, etc.
>
> Turn them off. If they heat in the morning or night, it just gets that much
> hotter during the day. Letting your heat turn on this time of the year is
> just wasting $. I run a fan during the early morning, then close up the
> house to keep it cooler all day. Why throw away the best chance you get at
> afternoon comfort by throwing away $ on heat in the AM?
>
> Bob

Not a problem. I have never seen the temperature in my condo go above
75 degrees, even when the high temperature of the day is 90 outside.

I have no idea why this is. Perhaps because my building is surrounded
by and shaded by trees, perhaps it's well insulated, who knows. I
keep all the windows closed during the day when it's hot out to keep
the heat from coming in.

Bob
July 11th 03, 05:24 PM
"myname" > wrote in message
om...
> "Bob" > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "myname" > wrote in message
> > > :) Yes, I am in the Seattle area. And even in mid July, my baseboard
> > > heaters still come on at night, early morning, etc.
> >
> > Turn them off. If they heat in the morning or night, it just gets that
much
> > hotter during the day. Letting your heat turn on this time of the year
is
> > just wasting $. I run a fan during the early morning, then close up the
> > house to keep it cooler all day. Why throw away the best chance you get
at
> > afternoon comfort by throwing away $ on heat in the AM?
> >
> > Bob
>
> Not a problem. I have never seen the temperature in my condo go above
> 75 degrees, even when the high temperature of the day is 90 outside.

I guess I just wouldn't want to waste the power. It costs $ and drains the
hydropower reserves.

Bob

Bob
July 11th 03, 05:24 PM
"myname" > wrote in message
om...
> "Bob" > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "myname" > wrote in message
> > > :) Yes, I am in the Seattle area. And even in mid July, my baseboard
> > > heaters still come on at night, early morning, etc.
> >
> > Turn them off. If they heat in the morning or night, it just gets that
much
> > hotter during the day. Letting your heat turn on this time of the year
is
> > just wasting $. I run a fan during the early morning, then close up the
> > house to keep it cooler all day. Why throw away the best chance you get
at
> > afternoon comfort by throwing away $ on heat in the AM?
> >
> > Bob
>
> Not a problem. I have never seen the temperature in my condo go above
> 75 degrees, even when the high temperature of the day is 90 outside.

I guess I just wouldn't want to waste the power. It costs $ and drains the
hydropower reserves.

Bob

SoCalMike
July 12th 03, 09:13 PM
> Not a problem. I have never seen the temperature in my condo go above
> 75 degrees, even when the high temperature of the day is 90 outside.

it helps to have a unit above you to take the brunt of the heat.

SoCalMike
July 12th 03, 09:13 PM
> Not a problem. I have never seen the temperature in my condo go above
> 75 degrees, even when the high temperature of the day is 90 outside.

it helps to have a unit above you to take the brunt of the heat.

Sewmaster
July 12th 03, 09:18 PM
Ed Clarke wrote:

> This is only the case when electricity is cheaper than other sources
> of heat. That's so far from true here in NY that it hurts to think
> about it. Con Edison is $0.1566 per kilowatt hour (June rates). And
> what happens in the summer? Air conditioning isn't free you know.

In my area, natural gas prices have more than doubled.
It was actually cheaper last year to heat part of the house
with electricity. Amazing; that's a first IME.

Sewmaster

Sewmaster
July 12th 03, 09:18 PM
Ed Clarke wrote:

> This is only the case when electricity is cheaper than other sources
> of heat. That's so far from true here in NY that it hurts to think
> about it. Con Edison is $0.1566 per kilowatt hour (June rates). And
> what happens in the summer? Air conditioning isn't free you know.

In my area, natural gas prices have more than doubled.
It was actually cheaper last year to heat part of the house
with electricity. Amazing; that's a first IME.

Sewmaster

Nina
July 13th 03, 05:23 AM
<Old_Timer> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:51:50 GMT, "Nina" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Dan Birchall" > wrote
in
> >message

> >all.com...

> >> High 60's at night here... but... well, it's almost always high 60's
> >> at night here. Oh well.
> >>
> >Is this bad or good? Its in the 50's here. Back in GA it would stay in
the
> >70's all night
> >

> Where I am in SoCal the daytime temps may reach 100 degrees but the
> nights are nearly always down to the 60s, but we cannot talk only
> temps, we must also talk humidity and the heat index figure.
>
> For example go to this page on this link and see where the max temps
> are only a little over 90 degrees F but the heat index is as much as
> 114 degrees F. (This is an area where I spent some of my military
> time.)
> Not a lot of air conditioning there at that time.
>
> http://www.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/intlocal_index.asp?metric=0

I'm still not sure if they were complaining about it being 60. Is that too
hot or too cold??

Its dry and cold here at night, I wish I could capture the cold air and save
it all day. At night I can walk outside and literally feel the 30 degree
difference. I almost considered sleeping on my deck!!

The link didnt give me a specific place, just told me to enter a location.

Nina
July 13th 03, 05:23 AM
<Old_Timer> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:51:50 GMT, "Nina" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Dan Birchall" > wrote
in
> >message

> >all.com...

> >> High 60's at night here... but... well, it's almost always high 60's
> >> at night here. Oh well.
> >>
> >Is this bad or good? Its in the 50's here. Back in GA it would stay in
the
> >70's all night
> >

> Where I am in SoCal the daytime temps may reach 100 degrees but the
> nights are nearly always down to the 60s, but we cannot talk only
> temps, we must also talk humidity and the heat index figure.
>
> For example go to this page on this link and see where the max temps
> are only a little over 90 degrees F but the heat index is as much as
> 114 degrees F. (This is an area where I spent some of my military
> time.)
> Not a lot of air conditioning there at that time.
>
> http://www.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/intlocal_index.asp?metric=0

I'm still not sure if they were complaining about it being 60. Is that too
hot or too cold??

Its dry and cold here at night, I wish I could capture the cold air and save
it all day. At night I can walk outside and literally feel the 30 degree
difference. I almost considered sleeping on my deck!!

The link didnt give me a specific place, just told me to enter a location.

Google