PDA

View Full Version : The Collective knows everything...

SlinkyToy
July 12th 03, 08:43 PM
I've had my ducks for about 3 weeks now, maybe a month. Time blurs...

Anyhow, one of my small flock is obviously a runt. Over the past several
days she's started staying largely put. She'll get up and make her way to a
food location, then plop down and eat in a seated position. She doesn't get
into the watering trough often, but I do see her drinking regularly.

She is from the same hatch as the rest of the flock. She's about 1/2 the
size and is still about 50% covered in down while the others are feathered
out nicely and putting on flight primaries.

Initially I thought perhaps the hatchery slipped in a non-Runner, now I'm
thinking I've got a duck with some sort of developmental problems.

Feed: Sweet Stuff horse chow, plus 8% gamebird feed (which is largely wheat
and milo with millet and corn), greenstuff daily, plus they forage the yard
during the day for bugs and whatnot. Fresh water daily.

Any ideas what this might be? I'm willing to put the duck down if necessary
but I'd like to avoid a vet's visit if possible. (Yes, I'm a wimp - I'll
behead a chicken in a heartbeat, but this isn't a chicken and it isn't my
grandma's).

Albert Wagner
July 15th 03, 11:24 AM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:21:01 -0700
Dennis > wrote:
<snip>
> BTW, did you know that a (otherwise healthy) chicken can jump/flap
> over 4 feet in the air without a head? Strange sight indeed.

Yes. I seen Libertarians do this also.

Dennis > wrote:
<snip>
> BTW, did you know that a (otherwise healthy) chicken can jump/flap
> over 4 feet in the air without a head? Strange sight indeed.

Yes. I seen Libertarians do this also.

Dennis
July 15th 03, 05:21 PM
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:43:45 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> wrote:

>Any ideas what this might be? I'm willing to put the duck down if necessary
>but I'd like to avoid a vet's visit if possible. (Yes, I'm a wimp - I'll
>behead a chicken in a heartbeat, but this isn't a chicken and it isn't my
>grandma's).

We had a rooster that became something like this. He mostly stopped
walking, just sat listlessly. He would eat and drink, but not much
else. We finally took him to the chopping block (and discarded the
carcass, just in case).

BTW, did you know that a (otherwise healthy) chicken can jump/flap
over 4 feet in the air without a head? Strange sight indeed.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 15th 03, 05:21 PM
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:43:45 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> wrote:

>Any ideas what this might be? I'm willing to put the duck down if necessary
>but I'd like to avoid a vet's visit if possible. (Yes, I'm a wimp - I'll
>behead a chicken in a heartbeat, but this isn't a chicken and it isn't my
>grandma's).

We had a rooster that became something like this. He mostly stopped
walking, just sat listlessly. He would eat and drink, but not much
else. We finally took him to the chopping block (and discarded the
carcass, just in case).

BTW, did you know that a (otherwise healthy) chicken can jump/flap
over 4 feet in the air without a head? Strange sight indeed.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

John Savage
July 22nd 03, 01:11 AM
Dennis > writes:
>BTW, did you know that a (otherwise healthy) chicken can jump/flap
>over 4 feet in the air without a head? Strange sight indeed.

And sometimes other feats, esp. longevity.

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org

--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Google