PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive laser printer

j647
July 13th 03, 01:39 AM
Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (is that an OK word to use in
this group? I wear it as a badge of honor.) laser printer. I swear I will
never buy another one of those money-sucking inkjets.

JoelnCaryn
July 13th 03, 03:47 AM
>> Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (is that an OK word to use in
>> this group? I wear it as a badge of honor.) laser printer. I swear I will
>> never buy another one of those money-sucking inkjets.
>
>Thrift shop HP LaserJet 4 or 5, preferably the "+" model for
>power-saving features. Or III, or II, or...

Seconded. (Thirded?) I'm running a 10 year old HP LaserJet 4L right now and
have never, ever had a problem with it.

JoelnCaryn
July 13th 03, 03:47 AM
>> Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (is that an OK word to use in
>> this group? I wear it as a badge of honor.) laser printer. I swear I will
>> never buy another one of those money-sucking inkjets.
>
>Thrift shop HP LaserJet 4 or 5, preferably the "+" model for
>power-saving features. Or III, or II, or...

Seconded. (Thirded?) I'm running a 10 year old HP LaserJet 4L right now and
have never, ever had a problem with it.

root
July 13th 03, 11:06 AM
JoelnCaryn > wrote:
>>> Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (is that an OK word to use in
>>> this group? I wear it as a badge of honor.) laser printer. I swear I will
>>> never buy another one of those money-sucking inkjets.
>>
>>Thrift shop HP LaserJet 4 or 5, preferably the "+" model for
>>power-saving features. Or III, or II, or...
>
> Seconded. (Thirded?) I'm running a 10 year old HP LaserJet 4L right now and
> have never, ever had a problem with it.

Some of the old HP printers have paper-feed wheels that turn to
gum after a while or the wheels develop flat spots. In either
case the paper-feed fails.

Before you buy a used printer always run a test sheet through
it.

root
July 13th 03, 11:06 AM
JoelnCaryn > wrote:
>>> Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (is that an OK word to use in
>>> this group? I wear it as a badge of honor.) laser printer. I swear I will
>>> never buy another one of those money-sucking inkjets.
>>
>>Thrift shop HP LaserJet 4 or 5, preferably the "+" model for
>>power-saving features. Or III, or II, or...
>
> Seconded. (Thirded?) I'm running a 10 year old HP LaserJet 4L right now and
> have never, ever had a problem with it.

Some of the old HP printers have paper-feed wheels that turn to
gum after a while or the wheels develop flat spots. In either
case the paper-feed fails.

Before you buy a used printer always run a test sheet through
it.

Bob
July 15th 03, 07:12 AM
"timeOday" > wrote in message news:Eaicncki-
> I recommend looking into a Brother printer... I've had my HL-1050 for
about
> 4 years. The nice thing about them is the toner and drum(?) are not
> integrated as with other laser printers, so toner only costs about $23.
> Speedy too.

I picked up a hl-1240 for $20 at a thrift shop, but returned it when I found
out that the needed drum was well over $100, and a new toner was about
$70-85. The drum only lasts about 3 toners. I can get rebuilt toners for my
laserjet III for $30, and they include the drum.

Bob

Bob
July 15th 03, 07:12 AM
"timeOday" > wrote in message news:Eaicncki-
> I recommend looking into a Brother printer... I've had my HL-1050 for
about
> 4 years. The nice thing about them is the toner and drum(?) are not
> integrated as with other laser printers, so toner only costs about $23.
> Speedy too.

I picked up a hl-1240 for $20 at a thrift shop, but returned it when I found
out that the needed drum was well over $100, and a new toner was about
$70-85. The drum only lasts about 3 toners. I can get rebuilt toners for my
laserjet III for $30, and they include the drum.

Bob

Sue Larkin
July 16th 03, 07:41 PM
In article <[email protected]>, > wrote:
> wrote in message

:> I picked up an old Apple Laserwriter II NT at a garage sale for $25. It
:> need a new toner cartridge which cost ~$30 IIRC. It's big, but quiet and
:> it seems like it's just going to go on forever. It has both Apple and PC
:> serial connections, so I use it for both machines. I wish it had higher
:> resolution, though (300 dpi).
:
: a few yrs ago at my workplace, there were a panasonic laser and apple laser
:from circa 1991 . teh apple broke, but had been most used. the pana was a
:bit odd.
:
:the apple was an HP.

I bought my Apple Laserwriter II NT new in 1990 (at a horribly unfrugal
price!) and it's still going strong...over 40,500 pages printed so far.
At approx. 8.5 pages/day that's probably considered low mileage! I'd
love to know where I might buy a new toner cartridge for $30. or so! I
use a neat little utility called Toner Tuner so I go thru a cartridge
only about once every 2 years! It usually ends up wearing out before it
ends up running out. I agree about the resolution but, at the time, it
was state of the art! I find it's still best for text but I'll opt for
an ink jet for photos and most graphics.

Aloha...Sue

Sue Larkin
July 16th 03, 07:41 PM
In article <[email protected]>, > wrote:
> wrote in message

:> I picked up an old Apple Laserwriter II NT at a garage sale for $25. It
:> need a new toner cartridge which cost ~$30 IIRC. It's big, but quiet and
:> it seems like it's just going to go on forever. It has both Apple and PC
:> serial connections, so I use it for both machines. I wish it had higher
:> resolution, though (300 dpi).
:
: a few yrs ago at my workplace, there were a panasonic laser and apple laser
:from circa 1991 . teh apple broke, but had been most used. the pana was a
:bit odd.
:
:the apple was an HP.

I bought my Apple Laserwriter II NT new in 1990 (at a horribly unfrugal
price!) and it's still going strong...over 40,500 pages printed so far.
At approx. 8.5 pages/day that's probably considered low mileage! I'd
love to know where I might buy a new toner cartridge for $30. or so! I
use a neat little utility called Toner Tuner so I go thru a cartridge
only about once every 2 years! It usually ends up wearing out before it
ends up running out. I agree about the resolution but, at the time, it
was state of the art! I find it's still best for text but I'll opt for
an ink jet for photos and most graphics.

Aloha...Sue

John W. Jackson
July 18th 03, 08:31 PM
Yes, the old HP 4L is a Warhorse.
Mine is still going strong after, who knows how many reams of paper.
I even use mine outside, at one of our displays.
Got wet several times, but it keeps on ticking.

I have one of the newer Inkjets also, but not nearly as reliable.

cadmus wrote:
> I'm also on the same HP 4L bought in 1995 and still going strong.
> It's outlived about 5 computers it's been hooked up to. As a side
> note, in that time I've seen the cartridges go from $45 to over $90 at
> Office Depot. Even their refilled generics sell for over $70.
>
> I have recently purchased a "remanufactured" cartridge from Infinity
> Imaging out of Wash DC www.infinityimaging.com for about $42.00
> shipping included. Their service is fast, courteous and thorough and
> I can see no discernable difference in performance between prior "new"
> cartridges and this remanufactured one. Hope to continue to get my
> 5000 copies. I'm relieved I found a reasonable, reliable source.
>

> On 13 Jul 2003 01:47:43 GMT, (JoelnCaryn)
> postulated:

>>>Thrift shop HP LaserJet 4 or 5, preferably the "+" model for
>>>power-saving features. Or III, or II, or...
>>
>>Seconded. (Thirded?) I'm running a 10 year old HP LaserJet 4L right now and
>>have never, ever had a problem with it.

Google