PDA

View Full Version : Re: Alternative to Jet-Dry?

SlinkyToy
July 13th 03, 03:50 PM
Wipe everything by hand?

I pop the door on my dishwasher before the dry cycle in order to save the
quarter, so I'd have spotty dishes with or without JetDry. This is
generally not an issue as I don't put on swank dinner parties at which the
snob neighbors would notice water spots on my glassware.

"Rally" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Does anyone have an idea for an alternative to Jet-Dry
> for use in a dishwasher?
>
> Anyone know its ingredients?
>
> TIA
>
> Rally

Jon Bergstrom
July 13th 03, 05:59 PM
A long time ago there was a product called "foto-flow" or
"photo-flow". I used it to prevent water spots on 4x5 negatives. It
came in a small bottle, and was diluted 1:200 or so. Perhaps if you
went to a darkroom supplier, if in the digital age any are still left,
they could help you.
Jon

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:22:00 GMT, Rally > wrote:

>Does anyone have an idea for an alternative to Jet-Dry
>for use in a dishwasher?
>
>Anyone know its ingredients?
>
>TIA
>
> Rally

Jon Bergstrom
July 13th 03, 05:59 PM
A long time ago there was a product called "foto-flow" or
"photo-flow". I used it to prevent water spots on 4x5 negatives. It
came in a small bottle, and was diluted 1:200 or so. Perhaps if you
went to a darkroom supplier, if in the digital age any are still left,
they could help you.
Jon

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:22:00 GMT, Rally > wrote:

>Does anyone have an idea for an alternative to Jet-Dry
>for use in a dishwasher?
>
>Anyone know its ingredients?
>
>TIA
>
> Rally

Jon Bergstrom
July 13th 03, 10:06 PM
Perhaps not, it was a long time ago, but I did not think it was very
dangerous. I would not want to take a spoonful of Electrosol in my
coffee either. <G>
Jon

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:38:42 GMT, wrote:

>Is this really the sort of thing you'd what to use on the dishes you
>eat from?
>
>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:59:44 -0400, Jon Bergstrom
> wrote:
>
>>A long time ago there was a product called "foto-flow" or
>>"photo-flow". I used it to prevent water spots on 4x5 negatives. It
>>came in a small bottle, and was diluted 1:200 or so. Perhaps if you
>>went to a darkroom supplier, if in the digital age any are still left,
>>they could help you.
>>Jon
>>

>>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:22:00 GMT, Rally > wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone have an idea for an alternative to Jet-Dry
>>>for use in a dishwasher?
>>>
>>>Anyone know its ingredients?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>> Rally

Jon Bergstrom
July 13th 03, 10:06 PM
Perhaps not, it was a long time ago, but I did not think it was very
dangerous. I would not want to take a spoonful of Electrosol in my
coffee either. <G>
Jon

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:38:42 GMT, wrote:

>Is this really the sort of thing you'd what to use on the dishes you
>eat from?
>
>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:59:44 -0400, Jon Bergstrom
> wrote:
>
>>A long time ago there was a product called "foto-flow" or
>>"photo-flow". I used it to prevent water spots on 4x5 negatives. It
>>came in a small bottle, and was diluted 1:200 or so. Perhaps if you
>>went to a darkroom supplier, if in the digital age any are still left,
>>they could help you.
>>Jon
>>

>>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:22:00 GMT, Rally > wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone have an idea for an alternative to Jet-Dry
>>>for use in a dishwasher?
>>>
>>>Anyone know its ingredients?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>> Rally

myname
July 14th 03, 01:29 AM
Jon Bergstrom > wrote in message >...
> A long time ago there was a product called "foto-flow" or
> "photo-flow". I used it to prevent water spots on 4x5 negatives. It
> came in a small bottle, and was diluted 1:200 or so. Perhaps if you
> went to a darkroom supplier, if in the digital age any are still left,
> they could help you.
> Jon

"Hello, I'm looking for some photographic chemicals that I can wash my
dishes in. Yes, I will be eating off those dishes. Sure, I may end
up consuming some of the chemicals. What do you mean they might be
poisonous? You're not a doctor, you're a darkroom supplier, just sell
me the chemicals!"

myname
July 14th 03, 01:29 AM
Jon Bergstrom > wrote in message >...
> A long time ago there was a product called "foto-flow" or
> "photo-flow". I used it to prevent water spots on 4x5 negatives. It
> came in a small bottle, and was diluted 1:200 or so. Perhaps if you
> went to a darkroom supplier, if in the digital age any are still left,
> they could help you.
> Jon

"Hello, I'm looking for some photographic chemicals that I can wash my
dishes in. Yes, I will be eating off those dishes. Sure, I may end
up consuming some of the chemicals. What do you mean they might be
poisonous? You're not a doctor, you're a darkroom supplier, just sell
me the chemicals!"

SJF
July 14th 03, 09:07 AM
"Rally" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Does anyone have an idea for an alternative to Jet-Dry
> for use in a dishwasher?
>
> Anyone know its ingredients?
>
> TIA
>
> Rally
===============
Our water is highly mineralized, about 700 ppm. When I suddenly got water
spots, I found the water softener had quit working. A new softener fixed
that and I no longer needed the Jet-Dry I had put in the washer.

I strongly suspect that the action of Jet-Dry is to provide a sheeting
action to prevent droplet formation in the final rinse. It seems that
ordinary dishwashing detergent (liquid soaps used for hand dishwashing)
would do that. I had intended to run a test using this much less expensive
product, but abandoned the project when the new softener eliminated the
problem. It might be worth a try for someone who doesn't feel the need for
water softening.

SJF

SJF
July 14th 03, 09:07 AM

===============
Our water is highly mineralized, about 700 ppm. When I suddenly got water
spots, I found the water softener had quit working. A new softener fixed
that and I no longer needed the Jet-Dry I had put in the washer.

I strongly suspect that the action of Jet-Dry is to provide a sheeting
action to prevent droplet formation in the final rinse. It seems that
ordinary dishwashing detergent (liquid soaps used for hand dishwashing)
would do that. I had intended to run a test using this much less expensive
product, but abandoned the project when the new softener eliminated the
problem. It might be worth a try for someone who doesn't feel the need for
water softening.

SJF

Google