PDA

View Full Version : Self-Sufficiency

Alex
July 13th 03, 07:32 PM
I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.

The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
http://www.getalifeindex.com
It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.

There are hundreds of references-- Not only to web sites, but also to
books and articles and other information

The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
Lifestyles; Economics (bargain-hunting, barter); Food (gardening,
recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building,
Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own
business or changing jobs/careers), etc.

–Alex

Skip Taylor
July 14th 03, 12:17 AM
I don't see why anyone would want to pay that much for what can be
freely located on any good search engine. Besides, I'm sure the
search engine will be much more up-to-date then the getalife site will
be over time.

Skip

On 13 Jul 2003 10:32:25 -0700, (Alex) wrote:

>I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
>anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.
>
>The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
>http://www.getalifeindex.com
>It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.
>
>There are hundreds of references-- Not only to web sites, but also to
>books and articles and other information
>
>The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
>Lifestyles; Economics (bargain-hunting, barter); Food (gardening,
>recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building,
>Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own
>business or changing jobs/careers), etc.
>
>–Alex

Regards,

Skip
---------
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Skip Taylor
July 14th 03, 12:17 AM
I don't see why anyone would want to pay that much for what can be
freely located on any good search engine. Besides, I'm sure the
search engine will be much more up-to-date then the getalife site will
be over time.

Skip

On 13 Jul 2003 10:32:25 -0700, (Alex) wrote:

>I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
>anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.
>
>The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
>http://www.getalifeindex.com
>It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.
>
>There are hundreds of references-- Not only to web sites, but also to
>books and articles and other information
>
>The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
>Lifestyles; Economics (bargain-hunting, barter); Food (gardening,
>recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building,
>Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own
>business or changing jobs/careers), etc.
>
>–Alex

Regards,

Skip
---------
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

David
July 14th 03, 12:33 AM
(Alex) wrote in message >...
> I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
> anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.
>
> The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
> http://www.getalifeindex.com
> It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.
>
> There are hundreds of references-- Not only to web sites, but also to
> books and articles and other information
>
> The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
> Lifestyles; Economics (bargain-hunting, barter); Food (gardening,
> recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building,
> Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own
> business or changing jobs/careers), etc.
>
> –Alex

What a complete ripoff. All this "supposed" information
is already available for FREE. All this site can teach is
how to run a ripoff website to take advantage of people.
Frugal people are usually very friendly and giving people
willing to share FOR FREE of any ideas to improving life and
living. This is not a moderated group so all are welcome
BUT most of us here are not so easily fooled. Sorry to
rant but I just could not resist.

Dave

David
July 14th 03, 12:33 AM
(Alex) wrote in message >...
> I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
> anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.
>
> The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
> http://www.getalifeindex.com
> It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.
>
> There are hundreds of references-- Not only to web sites, but also to
> books and articles and other information
>
> The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
> Lifestyles; Economics (bargain-hunting, barter); Food (gardening,
> recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building,
> Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own
> business or changing jobs/careers), etc.
>
> –Alex

What a complete ripoff. All this "supposed" information
is already available for FREE. All this site can teach is
how to run a ripoff website to take advantage of people.
Frugal people are usually very friendly and giving people
willing to share FOR FREE of any ideas to improving life and
living. This is not a moderated group so all are welcome
BUT most of us here are not so easily fooled. Sorry to
rant but I just could not resist.

Dave

Tish Wolfe
July 14th 03, 05:20 PM
Whois info for, getalifeindex.com:

Registrant:
--
P. O. Box 832
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Domain name: GETALIFEINDEX.COM

Administrative Contact:
Brumbaugh, Patrick
P. O. Box 832
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
US
9199429352

Tish Wolfe
July 14th 03, 05:20 PM
Whois info for, getalifeindex.com:

Registrant:
--
P. O. Box 832
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
US

Domain name: GETALIFEINDEX.COM

Administrative Contact:
Brumbaugh, Patrick
P. O. Box 832
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
US
9199429352

Tomcat14
July 14th 03, 09:00 PM
(David) wrote in message >...
> (Alex) wrote in message >...

<snip>
"Frugal people are usually very friendly and giving people
> willing to share FOR FREE of any ideas to improving life and
> living. "

Something I also have found through the years is that the real
solutions to problems are often simple and cheap. For example, aspirin
is very difficult to beat even with expensive drugs. But they still
keep inventing new substitutes because they can charge for them.

Tomcat14
July 14th 03, 09:00 PM
(David) wrote in message >...
> (Alex) wrote in message >...

<snip>
"Frugal people are usually very friendly and giving people
> willing to share FOR FREE of any ideas to improving life and
> living. "

Something I also have found through the years is that the real
solutions to problems are often simple and cheap. For example, aspirin
is very difficult to beat even with expensive drugs. But they still
keep inventing new substitutes because they can charge for them.

Larisa
July 14th 03, 11:41 PM
(Alex) wrote in message >...
> I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
> anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.
>
> The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
> http://www.getalifeindex.com
> It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.
>
> There are hundreds of references-- Not only to web sites, but also to
> books and articles and other information
>
> The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
> Lifestyles; Economics (bargain-hunting, barter); Food (gardening,
> recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building,
> Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own
> business or changing jobs/careers), etc.

And it's supposed to be an aid to self-sufficiency to spend even more
$$$ on a subscription to a website, for Heaven's sakes?

It's long been known in the web industry that the only websites people
are willing to pay to access are various professional-related websites
that people need for their work, and porn. If you want to make money
by collecting subscriptions for your website, try adding one (or both)
of the above.

LM

Larisa
July 14th 03, 11:41 PM
(Alex) wrote in message >...
> I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
> anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.
>
> The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
> http://www.getalifeindex.com
> It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.
>
> There are hundreds of references-- Not only to web sites, but also to
> books and articles and other information
>
> The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
> Lifestyles; Economics (bargain-hunting, barter); Food (gardening,
> recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building,
> Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own
> business or changing jobs/careers), etc.

And it's supposed to be an aid to self-sufficiency to spend even more
$$$ on a subscription to a website, for Heaven's sakes?

It's long been known in the web industry that the only websites people
are willing to pay to access are various professional-related websites
that people need for their work, and porn. If you want to make money
by collecting subscriptions for your website, try adding one (or both)
of the above.

LM

Ed Clarke
July 15th 03, 02:21 PM
In article >, Larisa wrote:

> It's long been known in the web industry that the only websites people
> are willing to pay to access are various professional-related websites
> that people need for their work, and porn. If you want to make money
> by collecting subscriptions for your website, try adding one (or both)
> of the above.

"Big Johnson's Auto Repair Tips & Porno Parlor"?

I've just seen something new in porn(?) recently on the web. Check out
"www.huntingforbambi.com".

I saw this mentioned on a KLAS TV web site as the newest fad in Las Vegas.
Basicly you get a bunch of overweight elderly Rambos to dress up in
pseudo-camoflage (green even though it's desert country), pay $5000(!),
to go out to "hunt" naked women with paintball guns. The women only get
sneakers to wear and have to get through an obstacle course to get paid.
If they get through without getting shot, they get $2500. If they get
hit, they get $1000.

There's a video on the KLAS tv site. I think one of the women had gone
through the thing seven times. That's a minimum of $7000 for a weeks work.

Ed Clarke
July 15th 03, 02:21 PM
In article >, Larisa wrote:

> It's long been known in the web industry that the only websites people
> are willing to pay to access are various professional-related websites
> that people need for their work, and porn. If you want to make money
> by collecting subscriptions for your website, try adding one (or both)
> of the above.

"Big Johnson's Auto Repair Tips & Porno Parlor"?

I've just seen something new in porn(?) recently on the web. Check out
"www.huntingforbambi.com".

I saw this mentioned on a KLAS TV web site as the newest fad in Las Vegas.
Basicly you get a bunch of overweight elderly Rambos to dress up in
pseudo-camoflage (green even though it's desert country), pay $5000(!),
to go out to "hunt" naked women with paintball guns. The women only get
sneakers to wear and have to get through an obstacle course to get paid.
If they get through without getting shot, they get $2500. If they get
hit, they get $1000.

There's a video on the KLAS tv site. I think one of the women had gone
through the thing seven times. That's a minimum of $7000 for a weeks work.

Ken
July 15th 03, 08:02 PM
> I've just seen something new in porn(?) recently on the web. Check out
> "www.huntingforbambi.com".
>
> I saw this mentioned on a KLAS TV web site as the newest fad in Las Vegas.
> Basicly you get a bunch of overweight elderly Rambos to dress up in
> pseudo-camoflage (green even though it's desert country), pay $5000(!),
> to go out to "hunt" naked women with paintball guns. The women only get
> sneakers to wear and have to get through an obstacle course to get paid.
> If they get through without getting shot, they get $2500. If they get
> hit, they get $1000.
>
> There's a video on the KLAS tv site. I think one of the women had gone
> through the thing seven times. That's a minimum of $7000 for a weeks work.

This sounded just a bit to weird for me, so I went to Snopes to find
out if it was another of our great American legends. They say it
sounds just a bit too weird for them as well, but the jury's still out
on if it's legit (so to speak)or not. 'merica, what a country.
Here's what they say:

Hunting for Bambi

Claim: A Las Vegas business offers men the opportunity to "hunt"
naked women with paintball guns.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

www.huntingforbambi.com

Is this site for real? If it is I weep for the future...

Origins: Another
cruel real-life example of the shocking degradation of women, or a big
put-on? That's the question being raised about Hunting for Bambi, a
Las Vegas-based business which purportedly offers "hunters" the
opportunity, for $10,000, to stalk naked women and shoot them with
paintball guns. According to the Hunting for Bambi site, their
business is:

More shocking than anything you've ever seen before. Labeled by CBS
News as a cross between Sex and Violence a deadly combination! Women
are being hunted down like animals and shot with paintball guns. This
Raw and completely Uncensored video is a cross between Bum Fights and
Girls Gone Wild and is sure to be the topic of many Howard Stern Show
fans. You will be completely stunned when you see some of the wildest,
most outrageous moments ever caught on tape. This is without a doubt
one of the sickest and most shocking videos ever made. When it comes
to hunting women if you can think of it we probably show it. Women are
screaming with fear as our Team Bambi hunters track them down and
blast them with paintball guns . . .
Adding to the believability of this venture is the fact that a local
Las Vegas television station, KLAS-TV, ran a news feature on Hunting
for Bambi (complete with footage of "hunters" in action) and
proclaimed it to be real.

However, the whole setup of the Hunting for Bambi site seems to be a
deliberate attempt to shock and outrage, and it's all too easy for
hoaxsters to fool reporters with shows staged for their benefit (as
notorious prankster Joey Skaggs has demonstrated time and again).
Paintball, although intended as a game, is a potentially dangerous
sport which requires full protective gear for safety, and allowing
"hunters" to shoot at naked human targets is a recipe for disaster.
(What person in her right mind would allow people to shoot at her with
paintballs delivered at a muzzle velocity of up to 200 MPH but agree
that she couldn't wear so much as protective goggles?) Even if the
targets are willing participants (and even if the rules specify, as
claimed by Hunting for Bambi, that shooters are required to hit their
targets below the waist only), the potential for a
multi-million-dollar lawsuit by an injured "target" is far too great.

We're still investigating, but we'd be quite surprised if this turned
out to be anything but yet another outrageous leg-pull.
Last updated: 14 July 2003

There are other urban legend sites, but Snopes is the only one I
checked. I guess we'll have to stay tuned on this one.

Ken

Ken
July 15th 03, 08:02 PM
> [...]

"hunters" to shoot at naked human targets is a recipe for disaster.
(What person in her right mind would allow people to shoot at her with
paintballs delivered at a muzzle velocity of up to 200 MPH but agree
that she couldn't wear so much as protective goggles?) Even if the
targets are willing participants (and even if the rules specify, as
claimed by Hunting for Bambi, that shooters are required to hit their
targets below the waist only), the potential for a
multi-million-dollar lawsuit by an injured "target" is far too great.

We're still investigating, but we'd be quite surprised if this turned
out to be anything but yet another outrageous leg-pull.
Last updated: 14 July 2003

There are other urban legend sites, but Snopes is the only one I
checked. I guess we'll have to stay tuned on this one.

July 15th 03, 09:24 PM
>> I've just seen something new in porn(?) recently on the web. Check out
>> "www.huntingforbambi.com".

>This sounded just a bit to weird for me, so I went to Snopes to find
>out if it was another of our great American legends. They say it
>sounds just a bit too weird for them as well, but the jury's still out
>on if it's legit (so to speak)or not. 'merica, what a country.

*snort* Check out the "wall mounts" link. Too bad they don't have jackalope
hunts.

If you want to read where we could be headed, read the short story by Robert
Sheckley called "Pilgrimage to Earth" written in 1957.
(full short story on this russian link)
<http://moshkow.perm.ru/koi/SHEKLY/pilgrim.txt>

excerpt:
"Simon didn't know what to do first. Then he heard a staccato burst of gunfire
behind him, and whirled.

It was only a shooting gallery, a long, narrow, brightly painted place with a
waist-high counter. The manager, a swarthy fat man with a mole on his chin sat
on a high stool and smiled at Simon.

"Try your luck?"

Simon walked over and saw that, instead of the usual targets, there were four
scantily dressed women at the end of the gallery, seated upon bullet-scored
chairs. They had tiny bull-eyes painted on their foreheads and above each
breast.

"But do you fire real bullets?" Simon asked.

"Of course!" the manager said. "There is a law against false advertising on
Earth. Real bullets and real gals! Step up and knock one off!"

One of the women called out, "Come on, sport! Bet you miss me!"

Another screamed, "He couldn't hit the broad side of a spaceship!"

"Sure he can!" another shouted. "Come on, sport!"

Simon rubbed his forehead and tried not to act surprised. After all, this was
Earth, where anything was allowed as long as it was commercially feasible."

July 15th 03, 09:24 PM
>> I've just seen something new in porn(?) recently on the web. Check out
>> "www.huntingforbambi.com".

>This sounded just a bit to weird for me, so I went to Snopes to find
>out if it was another of our great American legends. They say it
>sounds just a bit too weird for them as well, but the jury's still out
>on if it's legit (so to speak)or not. 'merica, what a country.

*snort* Check out the "wall mounts" link. Too bad they don't have jackalope
hunts.

If you want to read where we could be headed, read the short story by Robert
Sheckley called "Pilgrimage to Earth" written in 1957.
(full short story on this russian link)
<http://moshkow.perm.ru/koi/SHEKLY/pilgrim.txt>

excerpt:
"Simon didn't know what to do first. Then he heard a staccato burst of gunfire
behind him, and whirled.

It was only a shooting gallery, a long, narrow, brightly painted place with a
waist-high counter. The manager, a swarthy fat man with a mole on his chin sat
on a high stool and smiled at Simon.

"Try your luck?"

Simon walked over and saw that, instead of the usual targets, there were four
scantily dressed women at the end of the gallery, seated upon bullet-scored
chairs. They had tiny bull-eyes painted on their foreheads and above each
breast.

"But do you fire real bullets?" Simon asked.

"Of course!" the manager said. "There is a law against false advertising on
Earth. Real bullets and real gals! Step up and knock one off!"

One of the women called out, "Come on, sport! Bet you miss me!"

Another screamed, "He couldn't hit the broad side of a spaceship!"

"Sure he can!" another shouted. "Come on, sport!"

Simon rubbed his forehead and tried not to act surprised. After all, this was
Earth, where anything was allowed as long as it was commercially feasible."

Ken
July 17th 03, 08:29 PM
(Ken) wrote in message >...
> > I've just seen something new in porn(?) recently on the web. Check out
> > "www.huntingforbambi.com".
> >
> > I saw this mentioned on a KLAS TV web site as the newest fad in Las Vegas.
> > Basicly you get a bunch of overweight elderly Rambos to dress up in
> > pseudo-camoflage (green even though it's desert country), pay $5000(!),
> > to go out to "hunt" naked women with paintball guns. The women only get
> > sneakers to wear and have to get through an obstacle course to get paid.
> > If they get through without getting shot, they get $2500. If they get
> > hit, they get $1000.
> >
> > There's a video on the KLAS tv site. I think one of the women had gone
> > through the thing seven times. That's a minimum of $7000 for a weeks work.
>
> This sounded just a bit to weird for me, so I went to Snopes to find
> out if it was another of our great American legends. They say it
> sounds just a bit too weird for them as well, but the jury's still out
> on if it's legit (so to speak)or not. 'merica, what a country.
> Here's what they say:

Hello Everybody,

Yes, this is getting way off-topic. The biggest reason I'm following
this issue and posting this is to say to the world that just because
it's in print, that does not mean it is true. And this is doubly
correct for the interent. As many suspected, this is probably just a
ploy to sell soft core porn videos. Here's the latest by Snopes.com.,
and I hope this is the last:

We're still investigating, but we'd be quite surprised if this scheme
was hatched as anything but an attempt to sell videos. (After all,
$19.99 tapes and DVDs, and not $10,000 hunts, are the product
advertised on the site's opening page.) Our estimation is that the
whole "hunt" concept was a phony promotional dog-and-pony show staged
for credulous reporters, but now that Hunting for Bambi has attracted
plenty of free publicity from the media, they're attempting to make
the concept work for real. Hunting for Bambi's "spokesman" essentially
admitted as much to MSNBC in announcing a sudden change in rules:

[Spokesman] David Krekelberg and the company's "master hunter,"
Michael Burdick, have taken steps to address safety concerns.

"At first we just told our hunters 'Don't shoot them in the head,'" he
said. "Now the hunters are prohibited from raising the gun barrel
above the waist level and if he does, it's game over and there are no
refunds."

Krekelberg also said that the guns were modified to reduce the
velocity of the paint-pellet guns, which can have a muzzle velocity of
up to 200 mph, and that the women are now given the option of wearing
goggles and helmets in addition to shoes.

Krekelberg said the year-old company, which originally was formed to
market a hunting spoof videotape, has so far conducted about 20 of the
"hunts," most of them in the desert outside Las Vegas.
We still don't see any convincing evidence that Hunting for Bambi has
actually conducted any genuine hunts for paying customers.

Last updated: 17 July 2003

If Snopes.com posts something conclusive that this is a fraud, I may
post again. But I'm very willing to let this issue die a quiet death.
And may we all be a bit more skeptical in the future.

Ken

Ken
July 17th 03, 08:29 PM

Google