PDA

View Full Version : "Spiking" your food: (cause overeating?)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 13th 03, 10:15 PM
I just knew there must be some _Powerful Forces_ at work.......making me
stuff myself with my fav foods. Seems I was right: (gathering evidence for
my attorney)

---------------
Revealed - Food Companies Knew Products Were Addictive
By Robert Matthews Science Correspondent
The Telegraph - UK
7-12-3

Multinational food companies have known for years of research that suggests
many of their products trigger chemical reactions in the brain which lead
people to overeat, The Telegraph can reveal.

Scientists working for Nestle and Unilever have been quietly investigating
how certain foods, such as chocolate biscuits, burgers and snacks, make
people binge-eat, thereby fuelling obesity. The companies insist that there
is no proof that the foods create bio-chemical reactions that make people
eat too much. They are not yet prepared to issue consumer warnings or change
the nature of the products.

However, scientists working for the industry have said manufacturers fear
they have created foods that undermine the body's abilities to control
intake and are battling to find a solution. "We have created a bio-chemical
monster," one said.

The revelation will be seized on by those who allege that the food industry
has been reckless. More than 300 million people worldwide are now deemed
clinically obese, with an estimated 2.5 million dying each year as a result
of being overweight. In Britain, more than one in five adults is obese -
triple the figure of 20 years ago.

Earlier this year America's leading fast-food chains, including McDonald's
and Burger King, were warned of possible legal action from obese people
following research on mice and rats suggesting that fast food could trigger
overeating. It is now clear that the industry has known for years of similar
results from research on humans.

One scientist who acts as a consultant to food manufacturers said: "They are
aware that they have been too successful in creating food that some people
just can't say no to. It's an enormous problem."

The overeating effect is thought to be triggered by opioids, chemicals which
produce a desire to eat more while reducing the "sated" feeling that
normally kills appetite.

Research being studied by the industry shows that although the effect is
only short-lived, it can have a dramatic effect on food intake. According to
a recent review of 20 years of research by scientists at the University of
Sussex, when release of opioids was blocked using drugs, intake among human
volunteers fell by 21 per cent. The effect was even larger among obese
people, whose intake fell by 33 per cent.

Further research also suggests that the opioids effect is strongest with
products that involve combinations of foods which are typically high in fat
and carbohydrates. These combinations are routinely used to boost the
so-called palatability of products, with chocolate being added to cereals
and biscuits, cheese added to savoury snacks, and buns with a high sugar
content being used for hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

The industry has long sought to drive up the palatability of its products.
Now, however, it is becoming clear that palatability reflects the effect
food has on the brain.

Dr Martin Yeomans, of the University of Sussex, a leading authority on
opioids, said: "I am confident that opioids play a role in food intake."

Dr Yeomans will present the latest evidence linking palatability to
over-eating at a scientific meeting this week which is sponsored by leading
food companies, including Nestle, the world's largest, and Unilever.

A spokesman for Nestle in Vevey, Switzerland, confirmed that the company has
been studying the role of palatability and opioids in food intake for many
years. He said: "We have projects currently running to investigate this and
other aspects of obesity and the company will make all necessary changes
when there is significant scientific evidence to support such action."

However, the company did not consider the evidence strong enough to require
action: "We have to be certain that there are no unexpected negative
aspects." Unilever, which owns the Knorr, Birds Eye and Ragu brands, is also
investigating the links.

At this week's conference in Groningen, Holland, scientists will present
strategies for dealing with the issue, including greater consumer education
and labelling.

The findings about the effects of opioids were seized on yesterday by Prof
John Banzhaf of George Washington University, Washington DC, who played a
key role in the billion-dollar lawsuits against tobacco companies during the
1990s.

During the 1990s, evidence emerged that the industry had manipulated
cigarettes' content to enhance their addictive nature. In 1998, the industry
reached a settlement with 46 American state governments totalling $206
billion.

Prof Banzhaf described the food industry's knowledge of possible links
between high-calorie food and over-eating by humans as "astounding". "This
would seem to constitute failure to disclose a material fact - information
that might sway the decision of consumers, had they known about it," he
said.

While there is no suggestion that the food industry knowingly manipulates
its products to boost over-consumption, Prof Banzhaf said there were
parallels with the case against the tobacco industry. "They said smokers
smoke for the taste, and it had nothing to do with the brain. It sounds to
me that we have something very similar here."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/13/nfood13.x
ml&sSheet=/portal/2003/07/13/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=393
81

Nina
July 13th 03, 11:41 PM
My sister and I have always been convinced that Chinese Restaurants put
crack in the food. If it doesnt taste good we say "Hmm, they must have been
low on crack today" because usually we just cant stop eating the stuff.

"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Prof Banzhaf described the food industry's knowledge of possible links
> between high-calorie food and over-eating by humans as "astounding". "This
> would seem to constitute failure to disclose a material fact - information
> that might sway the decision of consumers, had they known about it," he
> said.
>
> While there is no suggestion that the food industry knowingly manipulates
> its products to boost over-consumption, Prof Banzhaf said there were
> parallels with the case against the tobacco industry. "They said smokers
> smoke for the taste, and it had nothing to do with the brain. It sounds to
> me that we have something very similar here."
>
> © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/13/nfood13.x

ml&sSheet=/portal/2003/07/13/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=393

Gary Heston
July 14th 03, 12:50 AM
In article >,
Nina > wrote:
>My sister and I have always been convinced that Chinese Restaurants put
>crack in the food. If it doesnt taste good we say "Hmm, they must have been
>low on crack today" because usually we just cant stop eating the stuff.
[ ... ]

At the places where it doesn't taste good, do you see signs stating "No MSG"?

Might be the difference...

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."

Gary Heston
July 14th 03, 12:50 AM
In article >,
Nina > wrote:
>My sister and I have always been convinced that Chinese Restaurants put
>crack in the food. If it doesnt taste good we say "Hmm, they must have been
>low on crack today" because usually we just cant stop eating the stuff.
[ ... ]

At the places where it doesn't taste good, do you see signs stating "No MSG"?

Might be the difference...

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."
Wally: "Were we doing well?"
Dilbert, 5/23/3

§§§ Raven §§§
July 14th 03, 05:44 AM

> The industry has long sought to drive up the palatability of its products.
> Now, however, it is becoming clear that palatability reflects the effect
> food has on the brain.

Let see here. Good tasting food makes you want more.....

Seems like a no brainer there...............

Eat food that tastes terrible and you'll eat less.

I bet some PETA bunch came up with this "research"

§§§ Raven §§§
July 14th 03, 05:44 AM

> The industry has long sought to drive up the palatability of its products.
> Now, however, it is becoming clear that palatability reflects the effect
> food has on the brain.

Let see here. Good tasting food makes you want more.....

Seems like a no brainer there...............

Eat food that tastes terrible and you'll eat less.

I bet some PETA bunch came up with this "research"

Albert Wagner
July 14th 03, 08:55 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:44:19 GMT
=A7=A7=A7 Raven =A7=A7=A7 > wrote:

> > The industry has long sought to drive up the palatability of its
> > products. Now, however, it is becoming clear that palatability
> > reflects the effect food has on the brain.
>=20
> Let see here. Good tasting food makes you want more.....
>=20
> Seems like a no brainer there...............
>=20
> Eat food that tastes terrible and you'll eat less.
>=20
> I bet some PETA bunch came up with this "research"

Everyone has a hobby-horse, but it is quite a reach from the ethical
treatment of animals to human obesity.

Albert Wagner
July 14th 03, 08:55 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:44:19 GMT
=A7=A7=A7 Raven =A7=A7=A7 > wrote:

> > The industry has long sought to drive up the palatability of its
> > products. Now, however, it is becoming clear that palatability
> > reflects the effect food has on the brain.
>=20
> Let see here. Good tasting food makes you want more.....
>=20
> Seems like a no brainer there...............
>=20
> Eat food that tastes terrible and you'll eat less.
>=20
> I bet some PETA bunch came up with this "research"

Everyone has a hobby-horse, but it is quite a reach from the ethical
treatment of animals to human obesity.

Albert Wagner
July 14th 03, 12:55 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:49:22 -0400
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote:
<snip>
Makes one wonder why the chinese and japanese aren't all obese.

"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote:
<snip>
Makes one wonder why the chinese and japanese aren't all obese.

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 06:49 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
. ..
> My sister and I have always been convinced that Chinese Restaurants put
> crack in the food. If it doesnt taste good we say "Hmm, they must have
been
> low on crack today" because usually we just cant stop eating the stuff.

LOL! Didn't know they were into "crack". Historically they were strictly
opium fiends.

According to this author/researcher, this MSG is some nasty stuff.
(labrat brains gave it a Thumbs Down)

Excitoxins: The Taste that Kills
Russell L. Blaylock, MD,
<snipped>
Consistently, the animals exposed to MSG were found to be short, grossly
obese, and had difficulty with sexual reproduction. One can only wonder if
the large number of people having difficulty with obesity in the United
States is related to early exposure to food additive excitotoxins since this
obesity is one of the most consistent features of the syndrome [MSG
exposure]. One characteristic of the obesity induced by excitotoxins is that
is doesn't appear to depend on food intake. This could explain why some
people cannot diet away their obesity. It is ironic that so many people
drink soft drinks sweetened with NutraSweet® when aspartate [in it] can
produce the exact same lesions as glutamate, resulting in gross obesity. The
actual extent of MSG induced obesity in the human population is unknown. . .
.. [However], humans develop higher levels of blood glutamate following
ingestion of MSG than any other species of animal known.
[......]
MSG and related toxins are added to foods in disguised forms. For example,
among the food manufacturers favorite disguises are 'hydrolyzed vegetable
protein,' 'vegetable protein,' 'natural flavorings,' and 'spices.' Each of
these may contain from 12 per cent to 40 per cent MSG
[......]
Glutamate, as monosodium glutamate (MSG) is added to many foods. It excites
our taste buds and can make bland food taste wonderful

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 06:49 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
. ..
> My sister and I have always been convinced that Chinese Restaurants put
> crack in the food. If it doesnt taste good we say "Hmm, they must have
been
> low on crack today" because usually we just cant stop eating the stuff.

LOL! Didn't know they were into "crack". Historically they were strictly
opium fiends.

According to this author/researcher, this MSG is some nasty stuff.
(labrat brains gave it a Thumbs Down)

Excitoxins: The Taste that Kills
Russell L. Blaylock, MD,
<snipped>
Consistently, the animals exposed to MSG were found to be short, grossly
obese, and had difficulty with sexual reproduction. One can only wonder if
the large number of people having difficulty with obesity in the United
States is related to early exposure to food additive excitotoxins since this
obesity is one of the most consistent features of the syndrome [MSG
exposure]. One characteristic of the obesity induced by excitotoxins is that
is doesn't appear to depend on food intake. This could explain why some
people cannot diet away their obesity. It is ironic that so many people
drink soft drinks sweetened with NutraSweet® when aspartate [in it] can
produce the exact same lesions as glutamate, resulting in gross obesity. The
actual extent of MSG induced obesity in the human population is unknown. . .
.. [However], humans develop higher levels of blood glutamate following
ingestion of MSG than any other species of animal known.
[......]
MSG and related toxins are added to foods in disguised forms. For example,
among the food manufacturers favorite disguises are 'hydrolyzed vegetable
protein,' 'vegetable protein,' 'natural flavorings,' and 'spices.' Each of
these may contain from 12 per cent to 40 per cent MSG
[......]
Glutamate, as monosodium glutamate (MSG) is added to many foods. It excites
our taste buds and can make bland food taste wonderful

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 07:07 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:49:22 -0400
> "Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote:
> <snip>
> Makes one wonder why the chinese and japanese aren't all obese.

Just read something about that recently...think it was the sipping of green
tea with/after meals....sort of an "antidote" (?)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 07:07 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:49:22 -0400
> "Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote:
> <snip>
> Makes one wonder why the chinese and japanese aren't all obese.

Just read something about that recently...think it was the sipping of green
tea with/after meals....sort of an "antidote" (?)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 07:33 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:49:22 -0400
> "Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote:
> <snip>
> Makes one wonder why the chinese and japanese aren't all obese.

Rapid Recovery From Depression Using Magnesium
Copyright statement: George Eby Austin, Texas
Revised: June 15, 2003
<snipped>
A natural glutamate antagonist is the structurally similar amino
acid L-theanine. The similarity enables L-theanine (L-Glutamic
acid-?-monoethylamide) to physically block glutamate, thus preventing
calcium ion induced hyperexcitability. Although researchers aren't positive
how theanine works yet, they theorize that theanine blocks the NMDA receptor
which is the doorway that glutamate uses to enter cells. Theanine is known
to increase GABA (Gamma-Amino-Butyric Acid), an important inhibitory
neurotransmitter. Because of the similar structure, theanine can also fit in
this doorway, blocking access to glutamate. But, although it can fit in the
doorway, theanine does not have the same effect on the cell as glutamate
does. Rather than causing damage, theanine acts like a shield against
damage. Theanine is the active ingredient in green tea. The Japanese have
used enormous amounts of MSG for many years to improve taste of poor quality
food, but they offset its toxic effects with green tea. In 1964, Japan
approved theanine's use in all food, except baby food. In Japan, you can buy
over 50 different food items that contain theanine. Japanese soft drinks are
spiked with the relaxant, and it has been put into chewing gum.

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 07:33 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:49:22 -0400
> "Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote:
> <snip>
> Makes one wonder why the chinese and japanese aren't all obese.

Rapid Recovery From Depression Using Magnesium
Copyright statement: George Eby Austin, Texas
Revised: June 15, 2003
<snipped>
A natural glutamate antagonist is the structurally similar amino
acid L-theanine. The similarity enables L-theanine (L-Glutamic
acid-?-monoethylamide) to physically block glutamate, thus preventing
calcium ion induced hyperexcitability. Although researchers aren't positive
how theanine works yet, they theorize that theanine blocks the NMDA receptor
which is the doorway that glutamate uses to enter cells. Theanine is known
to increase GABA (Gamma-Amino-Butyric Acid), an important inhibitory
neurotransmitter. Because of the similar structure, theanine can also fit in
this doorway, blocking access to glutamate. But, although it can fit in the
doorway, theanine does not have the same effect on the cell as glutamate
does. Rather than causing damage, theanine acts like a shield against
damage. Theanine is the active ingredient in green tea. The Japanese have
used enormous amounts of MSG for many years to improve taste of poor quality
food, but they offset its toxic effects with green tea. In 1964, Japan
approved theanine's use in all food, except baby food. In Japan, you can buy
over 50 different food items that contain theanine. Japanese soft drinks are
spiked with the relaxant, and it has been put into chewing gum.

ares
July 14th 03, 09:46 PM
Did they mention Doritos anywhere?
ares

> [...]

> Prof Banzhaf described the food industry's knowledge of possible links
> between high-calorie food and over-eating by humans as "astounding". "This
> would seem to constitute failure to disclose a material fact - information
> that might sway the decision of consumers, had they known about it," he
> said.
>
> While there is no suggestion that the food industry knowingly manipulates
> its products to boost over-consumption, Prof Banzhaf said there were
> parallels with the case against the tobacco industry. "They said smokers
> smoke for the taste, and it had nothing to do with the brain. It sounds to
> me that we have something very similar here."
>
> © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/13/nfood13.x

ml&sSheet=/portal/2003/07/13/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=393

Daniel
July 15th 03, 12:51 PM
Or Haagen-Dazs?

"ares" > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> >
> > Prof Banzhaf described the food industry's knowledge of possible links
> > between high-calorie food and over-eating by humans as "astounding". "This
> > would seem to constitute failure to disclose a material fact - information
> > that might sway the decision of consumers, had they known about it," he
> > said.
> >
> > While there is no suggestion that the food industry knowingly manipulates
> > its products to boost over-consumption, Prof Banzhaf said there were
> > parallels with the case against the tobacco industry. "They said smokers
> > smoke for the taste, and it had nothing to do with the brain. It sounds to
> > me that we have something very similar here."
> >
> > © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.
> >
> > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/13/nfood13.x
> >
> ml&sSheet=/portal/2003/07/13/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=393

Daniel
July 15th 03, 12:51 PM
Or Haagen-Dazs?

"ares" > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> >
> > Prof Banzhaf described the food industry's knowledge of possible links
> > between high-calorie food and over-eating by humans as "astounding". "This
> > would seem to constitute failure to disclose a material fact - information
> > that might sway the decision of consumers, had they known about it," he
> > said.
> >
> > While there is no suggestion that the food industry knowingly manipulates
> > its products to boost over-consumption, Prof Banzhaf said there were
> > parallels with the case against the tobacco industry. "They said smokers
> > smoke for the taste, and it had nothing to do with the brain. It sounds to
> > me that we have something very similar here."
> >
> > © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.
> >
> > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/13/nfood13.x
> >
> ml&sSheet=/portal/2003/07/13/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=393

SoCalMike
July 16th 03, 01:28 AM
yes. maybe haagen-dazs
"Daniel" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> > > would seem to constitute failure to disclose a material fact -
information
> > > that might sway the decision of consumers, had they known about it,"
he
> > > said.
> > >
> > > While there is no suggestion that the food industry knowingly
manipulates
> > > its products to boost over-consumption, Prof Banzhaf said there were
> > > parallels with the case against the tobacco industry. "They said
smokers
> > > smoke for the taste, and it had nothing to do with the brain. It
sounds to
> > > me that we have something very similar here."
> > >
> > > © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/13/nfood13.x

ml&sSheet=/portal/2003/07/13/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=393

SoCalMike
July 16th 03, 01:28 AM
yes. maybe haagen-dazs
"Daniel" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> > > would seem to constitute failure to disclose a material fact -
information
> > > that might sway the decision of consumers, had they known about it,"
he
> > > said.
> > >
> > > While there is no suggestion that the food industry knowingly
manipulates
> > > its products to boost over-consumption, Prof Banzhaf said there were
> > > parallels with the case against the tobacco industry. "They said
smokers
> > > smoke for the taste, and it had nothing to do with the brain. It
sounds to
> > > me that we have something very similar here."
> > >
> > > © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/13/nfood13.x

ml&sSheet=/portal/2003/07/13/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=393

Google