PDA

View Full Version : baby water - what will they think of next

Ben
July 14th 03, 04:14 AM
Hi,

My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...

regards,
Ben

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:57 AM
"Ben" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
> really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
> we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
> it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...

And baby food is water w/a little pureed food thrown in. When my son was a
baby a jar of sweet potatoes was 50 cents for 2 oz, meanwhile sweet potatoes
were 39 cents/lb. Yikes!
Apple juice isnt really good for babies, not BAD for them, but pretty much
empty calories. I prefer to let my kids eat their fruit and drink water. I
tried very hard to NOT get them accustomed to drinking sweet beverages, kids
suck that stuff down like hummingbirds!

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:57 AM
"Ben" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
> really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
> we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
> it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...

And baby food is water w/a little pureed food thrown in. When my son was a
baby a jar of sweet potatoes was 50 cents for 2 oz, meanwhile sweet potatoes
were 39 cents/lb. Yikes!
Apple juice isnt really good for babies, not BAD for them, but pretty much
empty calories. I prefer to let my kids eat their fruit and drink water. I
tried very hard to NOT get them accustomed to drinking sweet beverages, kids
suck that stuff down like hummingbirds!

JoelnCaryn
July 14th 03, 07:59 AM
>> My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
>> containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
>> really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
>> we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
>> it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...
>>

>And baby food is water w/a little pureed food thrown in. When my son was a
>baby a jar of sweet potatoes was 50 cents for 2 oz, meanwhile sweet potatoes
>were 39 cents/lb. Yikes!
>Apple juice isnt really good for babies, not BAD for them, but pretty much
>empty calories. I prefer to let my kids eat their fruit and drink water. I
>tried very hard to NOT get them accustomed to drinking sweet beverages, kids
>suck that stuff down like hummingbirds!

An acquaintance just spent $3500 on dental work for her 4 and 2-year-olds; both
girls had their teeth brushed twice a day but drank a lot of apple juice...

JoelnCaryn
July 14th 03, 07:59 AM
>> My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
>> containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
>> really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
>> we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
>> it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...
>>

>And baby food is water w/a little pureed food thrown in. When my son was a
>baby a jar of sweet potatoes was 50 cents for 2 oz, meanwhile sweet potatoes
>were 39 cents/lb. Yikes!
>Apple juice isnt really good for babies, not BAD for them, but pretty much
>empty calories. I prefer to let my kids eat their fruit and drink water. I
>tried very hard to NOT get them accustomed to drinking sweet beverages, kids
>suck that stuff down like hummingbirds!

An acquaintance just spent $3500 on dental work for her 4 and 2-year-olds; both
girls had their teeth brushed twice a day but drank a lot of apple juice...

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:05 AM
"JoelnCaryn" > wrote
> An acquaintance just spent $3500 on dental work for her 4 and 2-year-olds;
both
> girls had their teeth brushed twice a day but drank a lot of apple
juice...

WOW? Did they have to get them all capped?? Thats a lot of dental work for
such small kids. I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe constantly sucking
away on.

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:05 AM
"JoelnCaryn" > wrote
> An acquaintance just spent $3500 on dental work for her 4 and 2-year-olds;
both
> girls had their teeth brushed twice a day but drank a lot of apple
juice...

WOW? Did they have to get them all capped?? Thats a lot of dental work for
such small kids. I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe constantly sucking
away on.

Elana
July 14th 03, 11:36 AM
Caryn, go to sleep :-).

Elana
July 14th 03, 11:36 AM
Caryn, go to sleep :-).

JoelnCaryn
July 14th 03, 11:46 AM
>Caryn, go to sleep :-).

Can't. Insomniac, so I'm actually working -- waiting for files to upload. :-(
And I've already had 800 mg of ibuprofen and a glass of sangria in the last 6
hours...

JoelnCaryn
July 14th 03, 11:46 AM
>Caryn, go to sleep :-).

Can't. Insomniac, so I'm actually working -- waiting for files to upload. :-(
And I've already had 800 mg of ibuprofen and a glass of sangria in the last 6
hours...

Rejnold Byzio
July 14th 03, 12:51 PM
"Nina" >:

> I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> constantly sucking away on.

I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.

Rejnold

Rejnold Byzio
July 14th 03, 12:51 PM
"Nina" >:

> I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> constantly sucking away on.

I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.

Rejnold

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:07 PM
I haven't.

"Rejnold Byzio" > wrote in message
> "Nina" >:
>
> > I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> > scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> > constantly sucking away on.
>
> I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.
>
> Rejnold

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:07 PM
I haven't.

"Rejnold Byzio" > wrote in message
> "Nina" >:
>
> > I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> > scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> > constantly sucking away on.
>
> I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.
>
> Rejnold

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:40 PM
It also happens when parents let kids run around all day with a bottle of
something dangling from their mouth. THey use them as pacifiers. AFAIK their
is a higher incidence of this in the Hispanic community, something that
appears true to me just based on my experience. I've seen kids 3 years old
walking around with bottles of red liquid that they swig from periodically.
I've read somewhere that it is associated with improper breast feeding, but
I have never known that to happen. Of course more people bottle than
breastfeed kids w/teeth, so perhaps if nursing were more common there would
be more cases. I dunno.
Once my kids were old enough to drink from a cup, there was NO bottle
during the day and I let my son have a bottle of water a from about 19
months to 24 months. Drinks were given when thirsty then taken away, none of
that sipping away at juice all day.

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Baby bottle mouth" happens when lazy parents toss the kid a bottle or a
> tippy cup at bedtime instead of helping the kid get to sleep. The kid
falls
> asleep mid-swig so has a mouthful of whatever happens to be in the
> bottle/tippy cup. Natural bacteria in the mouth LOVE all the sugar in the
> formula or juice and have a good old time destroying the teeth.
>
> Since pure water lacks the sugars those nasty bacteria love to thrive on a
> child with properly brushed teeth and a cup of water in in her bed won't
> develop bottle mouth.
>
> In the FWIW department my son nursed until he was almost 4, including at
> bedtime. He's going on 6 now and hasn't a cavity in his head. The Tooth
> Fairy will be rewarding him especially well once he starts losing those
baby
> teeth...
>
> "Rejnold Byzio" > wrote in message
> > "Nina" >:
> >
> > > I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> > > scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> > > constantly sucking away on.
> >
> > I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.
> >
> > Rejnold

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:40 PM
It also happens when parents let kids run around all day with a bottle of
something dangling from their mouth. THey use them as pacifiers. AFAIK their
is a higher incidence of this in the Hispanic community, something that
appears true to me just based on my experience. I've seen kids 3 years old
walking around with bottles of red liquid that they swig from periodically.
I've read somewhere that it is associated with improper breast feeding, but
I have never known that to happen. Of course more people bottle than
breastfeed kids w/teeth, so perhaps if nursing were more common there would
be more cases. I dunno.
Once my kids were old enough to drink from a cup, there was NO bottle
during the day and I let my son have a bottle of water a from about 19
months to 24 months. Drinks were given when thirsty then taken away, none of
that sipping away at juice all day.

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Baby bottle mouth" happens when lazy parents toss the kid a bottle or a
> tippy cup at bedtime instead of helping the kid get to sleep. The kid
falls
> asleep mid-swig so has a mouthful of whatever happens to be in the
> bottle/tippy cup. Natural bacteria in the mouth LOVE all the sugar in the
> formula or juice and have a good old time destroying the teeth.
>
> Since pure water lacks the sugars those nasty bacteria love to thrive on a
> child with properly brushed teeth and a cup of water in in her bed won't
> develop bottle mouth.
>
> In the FWIW department my son nursed until he was almost 4, including at
> bedtime. He's going on 6 now and hasn't a cavity in his head. The Tooth
> Fairy will be rewarding him especially well once he starts losing those
baby
> teeth...
>
> "Rejnold Byzio" > wrote in message
> > "Nina" >:
> >
> > > I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> > > scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> > > constantly sucking away on.
> >
> > I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.
> >
> > Rejnold

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:54 PM
> "Rejnold Byzio" > wrote in message
> > "Nina" >:
> >
> > > I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> > > scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> > > constantly sucking away on.
> >
> > I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.

Certain inappropriate feeding practices have also been associated with ECC.
The bottle contents, the frequency and duration of feeding, and how long the
child is bottle-dependent, are especially important. Bottle-feeding with
liquids such as Jello water, Kool-aid, and soda-pop is particularly harmful
because they contain sucrose, a highly cariogenic substrate (Babeely et al.,
1989). High-fructose juices, such as apple and grape, are also cariogenic
substrates (Babeely et al., 1989). The cariogenicity of milk containing 4%
lactose is somewhat controversial; however, adding sugar to milk to make it
taste better and to stop diarrhea clearly increases the risk of ECC (Babeely
et al., 1989). In one study, 50% of children with ECC had bottle contents
(usually milk) with added sugar; this practice was most common among Latinos
(Stephens: personal communication). In that study, children with ECC were
much more likely than children without ECC to stay on the bottle longer,
have sugar added to bottle contents, consume more sugary beverages and
cereals, and eat fewer dairy products. Prolonged use of the bottle at
naptime or bedtime is strongly associated with ECC

Nina
July 14th 03, 04:54 PM
> "Rejnold Byzio" > wrote in message
> > "Nina" >:
> >
> > > I have seen some nasty cases of baby bottle decay, its a
> > > scary thing. Anything sweet is a bad idea for kids tobe
> > > constantly sucking away on.
> >
> > I've heard baby bottle decay happens even with pure water.

Certain inappropriate feeding practices have also been associated with ECC.
The bottle contents, the frequency and duration of feeding, and how long the
child is bottle-dependent, are especially important. Bottle-feeding with
liquids such as Jello water, Kool-aid, and soda-pop is particularly harmful
because they contain sucrose, a highly cariogenic substrate (Babeely et al.,
1989). High-fructose juices, such as apple and grape, are also cariogenic
substrates (Babeely et al., 1989). The cariogenicity of milk containing 4%
lactose is somewhat controversial; however, adding sugar to milk to make it
taste better and to stop diarrhea clearly increases the risk of ECC (Babeely
et al., 1989). In one study, 50% of children with ECC had bottle contents
(usually milk) with added sugar; this practice was most common among Latinos
(Stephens: personal communication). In that study, children with ECC were
much more likely than children without ECC to stay on the bottle longer,
have sugar added to bottle contents, consume more sugary beverages and
cereals, and eat fewer dairy products. Prolonged use of the bottle at
naptime or bedtime is strongly associated with ECC

Elana
July 14th 03, 05:36 PM
Nina > wrote:

> I've read somewhere that it is associated with improper breast feeding, but
> I have never known that to happen. Of course more people bottle than
> breastfeed kids w/teeth, so perhaps if nursing were more common there would
> be more cases. I dunno.

I just read something in Mothering about ECC and not to blame bf. I'm
sure it's on their site somewhere, I just can't find it.

Elana
July 14th 03, 05:36 PM
Nina > wrote:

> I've read somewhere that it is associated with improper breast feeding, but
> I have never known that to happen. Of course more people bottle than
> breastfeed kids w/teeth, so perhaps if nursing were more common there would
> be more cases. I dunno.

I just read something in Mothering about ECC and not to blame bf. I'm
sure it's on their site somewhere, I just can't find it.

Sue Sorensen
July 14th 03, 05:56 PM
What's next? Dog water! They had a big article about it last week in the
Seattle Times.

"Ben" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
> really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
> we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
> it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...
>
> regards,
> Ben

SlinkyToy
July 14th 03, 06:13 PM
There's nothing "improper" about breastfeeding, and it is difficult to do
improperly - ask any woman who has had trouble getting a correct latch if
she'd keep doing it if it always hurt that badly. My boy nursed until he
was nearly 4. He's got better dentition than most of his preschool
classmates who were bottle babies and/or used a plug, and he has zero
cavities. Our dentist is always impressed with the boy's teeth when we go
in for checkups.

"Elana" > wrote in message
> Nina > wrote:
>
> > I've read somewhere that it is associated with improper breast feeding,
but
> > I have never known that to happen. Of course more people bottle than
> > breastfeed kids w/teeth, so perhaps if nursing were more common there
would
> > be more cases. I dunno.
>
> I just read something in Mothering about ECC and not to blame bf. I'm
> sure it's on their site somewhere, I just can't find it.

SlinkyToy
July 14th 03, 06:13 PM
PetsMart sells bottles of water with little disposable plastic cups stuck to
the bottom. "Share a drink with your best friend" indeed :P

"Sue Sorensen" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> What's next? Dog water! They had a big article about it last week in the
> Seattle Times.
>
> "Ben" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
This
> > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
price...

> > regards,
> > Ben

SlinkyToy
July 14th 03, 06:13 PM
PetsMart sells bottles of water with little disposable plastic cups stuck to
the bottom. "Share a drink with your best friend" indeed :P

"Sue Sorensen" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> What's next? Dog water! They had a big article about it last week in the
> Seattle Times.
>
> "Ben" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
This
> > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
price...

> > regards,
> > Ben

JoelnCaryn
July 14th 03, 07:54 PM
>> > I've read somewhere that it is associated with improper breast feeding,
>but
>> > I have never known that to happen. Of course more people bottle than
>> > breastfeed kids w/teeth, so perhaps if nursing were more common there
>would
>> > be more cases. I dunno.
>>
>> I just read something in Mothering about ECC and not to blame bf. I'm
>> sure it's on their site somewhere, I just can't find it.
>
>There's nothing "improper" about breastfeeding, and it is difficult to do
>improperly - ask any woman who has had trouble getting a correct latch if
>she'd keep doing it if it always hurt that badly.

We're talking about Early Childhood Caries, and how they are *not* associated
with nursing to sleep, but rather with bottles.

You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

>My boy nursed until he
>was nearly 4. He's got better dentition than most of his preschool
>classmates who were bottle babies and/or used a plug, and he has zero
>cavities. Our dentist is always impressed with the boy's teeth when we go
>in for checkups.

The children I know who've nursed for several years always have gorgeous adult
teeth -- broad, evenly spaced, and *strong*. It's hard to do a study on it,
though, because it's been hard to find people who will voluntarily admit that
they're breastfeeding toddlers...

JoelnCaryn
July 14th 03, 07:54 PM
>> > I've read somewhere that it is associated with improper breast feeding,
>but
>> > I have never known that to happen. Of course more people bottle than
>> > breastfeed kids w/teeth, so perhaps if nursing were more common there
>would
>> > be more cases. I dunno.
>>
>> I just read something in Mothering about ECC and not to blame bf. I'm
>> sure it's on their site somewhere, I just can't find it.
>
>There's nothing "improper" about breastfeeding, and it is difficult to do
>improperly - ask any woman who has had trouble getting a correct latch if
>she'd keep doing it if it always hurt that badly.

We're talking about Early Childhood Caries, and how they are *not* associated
with nursing to sleep, but rather with bottles.

You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

>My boy nursed until he
>was nearly 4. He's got better dentition than most of his preschool
>classmates who were bottle babies and/or used a plug, and he has zero
>cavities. Our dentist is always impressed with the boy's teeth when we go
>in for checkups.

The children I know who've nursed for several years always have gorgeous adult
teeth -- broad, evenly spaced, and *strong*. It's hard to do a study on it,
though, because it's been hard to find people who will voluntarily admit that
they're breastfeeding toddlers...

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:18 PM
"JoelnCaryn" > wrote.

> You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
> quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

*sigh* And it shows. :)

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:18 PM
"JoelnCaryn" > wrote.

> You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
> quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

*sigh* And it shows. :)

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:19 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> PetsMart sells bottles of water with little disposable plastic cups stuck
> the bottom. "Share a drink with your best friend" indeed :P
>
> "Sue Sorensen" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > What's next? Dog water! They had a big article about it last week in
the
> > Seattle Times.
> >
> > "Ben" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
> This
> > > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
> when
> > > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
> that
> > > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
> price...

Once the kids sneaked the small dog in the car and I had to buy some water,
but it was PEOPLE water and I just fed it to her from a paper cup. Those
collapsible dog bowls are a good idea, but I'm gonna still have to rush into
the 7-11 bathroom for some tap water to fill it. Ratdog is NOT getting
Evian!!

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:19 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> PetsMart sells bottles of water with little disposable plastic cups stuck
> the bottom. "Share a drink with your best friend" indeed :P
>
> "Sue Sorensen" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > What's next? Dog water! They had a big article about it last week in
the
> > Seattle Times.
> >
> > "Ben" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
> This
> > > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
> when
> > > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
> that
> > > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
> price...

Once the kids sneaked the small dog in the car and I had to buy some water,
but it was PEOPLE water and I just fed it to her from a paper cup. Those
collapsible dog bowls are a good idea, but I'm gonna still have to rush into
the 7-11 bathroom for some tap water to fill it. Ratdog is NOT getting
Evian!!

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:21 PM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "Ben" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
This
> > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
price...

> LOL! There's a store called "Babys R Us" ?? Darn...never heard of it!
> Ask them to prove the mfg date. Some of this water's been sitting in
plastic
> a _Loong time.
> No need to ask the ped, just learn to read labels yourself.
>
> Here's what I would think of next:
> I'd market a "brain food" drink for pregnant moms, containing DHA. (a
> component of fish oil)

Ugh, if u take cod liver oil, it makes your burps taste fishy. *just musing*
Babys R Us used to be Baby Superstore, I love browsing there. I may go today
just to be awed at their inventory. They dont have cloth diapers though,
hmmph!

Nina
July 14th 03, 09:21 PM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "Ben" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
This
> > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
price...

> LOL! There's a store called "Babys R Us" ?? Darn...never heard of it!
> Ask them to prove the mfg date. Some of this water's been sitting in
plastic
> a _Loong time.
> No need to ask the ped, just learn to read labels yourself.
>
> Here's what I would think of next:
> I'd market a "brain food" drink for pregnant moms, containing DHA. (a
> component of fish oil)

Ugh, if u take cod liver oil, it makes your burps taste fishy. *just musing*
Babys R Us used to be Baby Superstore, I love browsing there. I may go today
just to be awed at their inventory. They dont have cloth diapers though,
hmmph!

Nina
July 14th 03, 10:07 PM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "Ben" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
This
> > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
price...

> LOL! There's a store called "Babys R Us" ?? Darn...never heard of it!
> Ask them to prove the mfg date. Some of this water's been sitting in
plastic
> a _Loong time.
> No need to ask the ped, just learn to read labels yourself.
>
> Here's what I would think of next:
> I'd market a "brain food" drink for pregnant moms, containing DHA. (a
> component of fish oil)

Ugh, if u take cod liver oil, it makes your burps taste fishy. *just musing*
Babys R Us used to be Baby Superstore, I love browsing there. I may go today
just to be awed at their inventory. They dont have cloth diapers though,
hmmph!

Nina
July 14th 03, 10:07 PM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "Ben" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
This
> > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
price...

> LOL! There's a store called "Babys R Us" ?? Darn...never heard of it!
> Ask them to prove the mfg date. Some of this water's been sitting in
plastic
> a _Loong time.
> No need to ask the ped, just learn to read labels yourself.
>
> Here's what I would think of next:
> I'd market a "brain food" drink for pregnant moms, containing DHA. (a
> component of fish oil)

Ugh, if u take cod liver oil, it makes your burps taste fishy. *just musing*
Babys R Us used to be Baby Superstore, I love browsing there. I may go today
just to be awed at their inventory. They dont have cloth diapers though,
hmmph!

Elana
July 14th 03, 10:14 PM
JoelnCaryn > wrote:

> The children I know who've nursed for several years always have gorgeous adult
> teeth -- broad, evenly spaced, and *strong*. It's hard to do a study on it,
> though, because it's been hard to find people who will voluntarily admit that
> they're breastfeeding toddlers...

<raises hand> He's almost 19 months now and I'll shout it from the
rooftops :-). And he does have nice, white teeth :-). Only juice he
gets is watered down oj for breakfast. Rest of the time it's water,
breastmilk or, just recently, Rice Dream.

Elana
July 14th 03, 10:14 PM
JoelnCaryn > wrote:

> The children I know who've nursed for several years always have gorgeous adult
> teeth -- broad, evenly spaced, and *strong*. It's hard to do a study on it,
> though, because it's been hard to find people who will voluntarily admit that
> they're breastfeeding toddlers...

<raises hand> He's almost 19 months now and I'll shout it from the
rooftops :-). And he does have nice, white teeth :-). Only juice he
gets is watered down oj for breakfast. Rest of the time it's water,
breastmilk or, just recently, Rice Dream.

SlinkyToy
July 14th 03, 10:26 PM
Hm, I can't see that being a problem either, given the mechanics of it. A
kid who latches on such that milk has a chance to pool in his oral cavity
isn't latched on properly - and ain't no momma putting up with that for long
:)

SlinkyToy
July 14th 03, 10:26 PM
Hm, I can't see that being a problem either, given the mechanics of it. A
kid who latches on such that milk has a chance to pool in his oral cavity
isn't latched on properly - and ain't no momma putting up with that for long
:)

SlinkyToy
July 14th 03, 10:27 PM
No, I simply read the post differently than it was intended. I guess I
don't count as "experienced" - I only nursed the one, and him for only 45
months :)

"JoelnCaryn" > wrote in message
> >but
> >would
> >>
> >> I just read something in Mothering about ECC and not to blame bf. I'm
> >> sure it's on their site somewhere, I just can't find it.
> >
> >There's nothing "improper" about breastfeeding, and it is difficult to do
> >improperly - ask any woman who has had trouble getting a correct latch if
> >she'd keep doing it if it always hurt that badly.
>
> We're talking about Early Childhood Caries, and how they are *not*
associated
> with nursing to sleep, but rather with bottles.
>
> You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
> quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

SlinkyToy
July 14th 03, 10:27 PM
No, I simply read the post differently than it was intended. I guess I
don't count as "experienced" - I only nursed the one, and him for only 45
months :)

> >but
> >would
> >>
> >> I just read something in Mothering about ECC and not to blame bf. I'm
> >> sure it's on their site somewhere, I just can't find it.
> >
> >There's nothing "improper" about breastfeeding, and it is difficult to do
> >improperly - ask any woman who has had trouble getting a correct latch if
> >she'd keep doing it if it always hurt that badly.
>
> We're talking about Early Childhood Caries, and how they are *not*
associated
> with nursing to sleep, but rather with bottles.
>
> You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
> quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

Nina
July 14th 03, 11:01 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hm, I can't see that being a problem either, given the mechanics of it. A
> kid who latches on such that milk has a chance to pool in his oral cavity
> isn't latched on properly - and ain't no momma putting up with that for
long
> :)

When they get older they will sometimes lie with the nipple just kinda
sitting in their mouth, it doesnt hurt. By the time they get 15 months or
so, they know how to make it easy on you! If u have one that sleeps with
you it can be a problem. I dont know if it is so much that the milk is
pooling in the mouth as that there is a steady trickle of it that never gets
washed away,so the teeth are being bathed constantly in milk.

Nina
July 14th 03, 11:01 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hm, I can't see that being a problem either, given the mechanics of it. A
> kid who latches on such that milk has a chance to pool in his oral cavity
> isn't latched on properly - and ain't no momma putting up with that for
long
> :)

When they get older they will sometimes lie with the nipple just kinda
sitting in their mouth, it doesnt hurt. By the time they get 15 months or
so, they know how to make it easy on you! If u have one that sleeps with
you it can be a problem. I dont know if it is so much that the milk is
pooling in the mouth as that there is a steady trickle of it that never gets
washed away,so the teeth are being bathed constantly in milk.

Nina
July 14th 03, 11:02 PM
"JoelnCaryn" > wrote in message
> >> You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are
both
> >> quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)
> >>
> >*sigh* And it shows. :)
>
> Tell me about it. :-)
>
> I think that's more from pregnancy than from breastfeeding though...

Some of the damage was pregnancy damage, some seems to be from lots of
suckling and tugging. Oh well. At least they are plump again now. :)

Nina
July 14th 03, 11:02 PM
"JoelnCaryn" > wrote in message
> >> You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are
both
> >> quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)
> >>
> >*sigh* And it shows. :)
>
> Tell me about it. :-)
>
> I think that's more from pregnancy than from breastfeeding though...

Some of the damage was pregnancy damage, some seems to be from lots of
suckling and tugging. Oh well. At least they are plump again now. :)

Nina
July 14th 03, 11:03 PM
Yikes! :)

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> No, I simply read the post differently than it was intended. I guess I
> don't count as "experienced" - I only nursed the one, and him for only 45
> months :)

> feeding,
> > >but
> > >would

I'm

> > >There's nothing "improper" about breastfeeding, and it is difficult to
do
> > >improperly - ask any woman who has had trouble getting a correct latch
if
> > >she'd keep doing it if it always hurt that badly.
> >
> > We're talking about Early Childhood Caries, and how they are *not*
> associated
> > with nursing to sleep, but rather with bottles.
> >
> > You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are
both
> > quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

Nina
July 14th 03, 11:03 PM
Yikes! :)

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> No, I simply read the post differently than it was intended. I guess I
> don't count as "experienced" - I only nursed the one, and him for only 45
> months :)

> feeding,
> > >but
> > >would

I'm

> > >There's nothing "improper" about breastfeeding, and it is difficult to
do
> > >improperly - ask any woman who has had trouble getting a correct latch
if
> > >she'd keep doing it if it always hurt that badly.
> >
> > We're talking about Early Childhood Caries, and how they are *not*
> associated
> > with nursing to sleep, but rather with bottles.
> >
> > You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are
both
> > quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)

Dennis
July 14th 03, 11:18 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:14:17 +0100, (Elana) wrote:

>Nina > wrote:
>
>> "JoelnCaryn" > wrote.
>> >
>> > You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
>> > quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)
>> >
>> *sigh* And it shows. :)
>
>Yeah, bugs me a little. :-) But then I hear him giggle and I don't care
>:-).

Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 14th 03, 11:18 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:14:17 +0100, (Elana) wrote:

>Nina > wrote:
>
>> "JoelnCaryn" > wrote.
>> >
>> > You're a little bit quick on the trigger, there -- Elana and Nina are both
>> > quite experienced breastfeeders. :-)
>> >
>> *sigh* And it shows. :)
>
>Yeah, bugs me a little. :-) But then I hear him giggle and I don't care
>:-).

Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 11:40 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ben" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
> This
> > > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
> when
> > > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
> that
> > > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
> price...
> > >
> > LOL! There's a store called "Babys R Us" ?? Darn...never heard of it!
> > Ask them to prove the mfg date. Some of this water's been sitting in
> plastic
> > a _Loong time.
> > No need to ask the ped, just learn to read labels yourself.
> >
> > Here's what I would think of next:
> > I'd market a "brain food" drink for pregnant moms, containing DHA. (a
> > component of fish oil)
> >
> Ugh, if u take cod liver oil, it makes your burps taste fishy. *just
musing*
> Babys R Us used to be Baby Superstore, I love browsing there. I may go
today
> just to be awed at their inventory. They dont have cloth diapers though,
> hmmph!

They say US wimmen are low in Dha. If yer pregnant you'd only need to eat a
small can sardines 3x per week (cheap at Walmart)
The Dha-only capsules are kinda pricey.
The Japanese were so convinced this is brain food they add it to formulas &
popular baby foods.Nothing new, been known for years.
(when they deprive pregnant rats of Dha, they make dumb baby rats)

Cod trivia: (as an ex-mariner, I picked up a lot of info in the waterfront
bars...some of which may be true) :-)

North Atlantic cod livers tends to be wormy (from eating whale poop) when
harvested in the warm water months.
Coastal cod liver from Norway is always worm-infested (from eating seal
poop)
enjoy

Tsu Dho Poster
July 14th 03, 11:40 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ben" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> > > containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon.
> This
> > > really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
> when
> > > we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
> that
> > > it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
> price...
> > >
> > LOL! There's a store called "Babys R Us" ?? Darn...never heard of it!
> > Ask them to prove the mfg date. Some of this water's been sitting in
> plastic
> > a _Loong time.
> > No need to ask the ped, just learn to read labels yourself.
> >
> > Here's what I would think of next:
> > I'd market a "brain food" drink for pregnant moms, containing DHA. (a
> > component of fish oil)
> >
> Ugh, if u take cod liver oil, it makes your burps taste fishy. *just
musing*
> Babys R Us used to be Baby Superstore, I love browsing there. I may go
today
> just to be awed at their inventory. They dont have cloth diapers though,
> hmmph!

They say US wimmen are low in Dha. If yer pregnant you'd only need to eat a
small can sardines 3x per week (cheap at Walmart)
The Dha-only capsules are kinda pricey.
The Japanese were so convinced this is brain food they add it to formulas &
popular baby foods.Nothing new, been known for years.
(when they deprive pregnant rats of Dha, they make dumb baby rats)

Cod trivia: (as an ex-mariner, I picked up a lot of info in the waterfront
bars...some of which may be true) :-)

North Atlantic cod livers tends to be wormy (from eating whale poop) when
harvested in the warm water months.
Coastal cod liver from Norway is always worm-infested (from eating seal
poop)
enjoy

Nina
July 15th 03, 03:23 AM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:14:17 +0100, (Elana) wrote:
>
> >Nina > wrote:
> >
> >> "JoelnCaryn" > wrote.

> >> *sigh* And it shows. :)
> >
> >Yeah, bugs me a little. :-) But then I hear him giggle and I don't care
> >:-).
>
> Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)

Heh heh,thats what I was wondering.

Nina
July 15th 03, 03:23 AM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:14:17 +0100, (Elana) wrote:
>
> >Nina > wrote:
> >
> >> "JoelnCaryn" > wrote.

> >> *sigh* And it shows. :)
> >
> >Yeah, bugs me a little. :-) But then I hear him giggle and I don't care
> >:-).
>
> Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)

Heh heh,thats what I was wondering.

Elana
July 15th 03, 09:42 AM
Nina > wrote:

> "Dennis" > wrote in message

> both

> > >Yeah, bugs me a little. :-) But then I hear him giggle and I don't care
> > >:-).
> >
> > Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)
> >

> Heh heh,thats what I was wondering.

Oh... ppffftttt :-p

:-)

Elana
July 15th 03, 09:42 AM
Nina > wrote:

> "Dennis" > wrote in message

> both

> > >Yeah, bugs me a little. :-) But then I hear him giggle and I don't care
> > >:-).
> >
> > Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)
> >

> Heh heh,thats what I was wondering.

Oh... ppffftttt :-p

:-)

Chloe
July 15th 03, 01:22 PM
"Elana" > wrote in message
> Nina > wrote:

> > both

> > > Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)
> > >

> > Heh heh,thats what I was wondering.
>
> Oh... ppffftttt :-p
>
> :-)

Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody needs his little bottom powdered and diapered
before mommy puts him back in his playpen.

Chloe
July 15th 03, 01:22 PM
"Elana" > wrote in message
> Nina > wrote:

> > both

> > > Are you talking about your son or your husband? :-)
> > >

> > Heh heh,thats what I was wondering.
>
> Oh... ppffftttt :-p
>
> :-)

Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody needs his little bottom powdered and diapered
before mommy puts him back in his playpen.

Elana
July 15th 03, 02:37 PM
Chloe > wrote:

> Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody needs his little bottom powdered and diapered
> before mommy puts him back in his playpen.

Powdered?!?! No, no, no, this is mcf-l, we use cornstarch!!!

Elana
July 15th 03, 02:37 PM
Chloe > wrote:

> Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody needs his little bottom powdered and diapered
> before mommy puts him back in his playpen.

Powdered?!?! No, no, no, this is mcf-l, we use cornstarch!!!

Tsu Dho Poster
July 15th 03, 10:23 PM
"liv" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:14:50 -0400, "Ben" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> >containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
> >really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> >we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> >it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...
> -----------------
> Sadly, tap water is often not good, depending on your area,
> particularly for children. I think the baby water adds fluorides,
> which usually aren't in bottled water. This makes sense,
> unfortunately.

from my reading I'd have to conclude it makes no sense. Just last week
another country, Sweden voted to end this fluoride experiment.
The Swedish Nobel Prize winner in Medicine in 2000 was a strong oppponent of
fluoridation.

http://www.redflagsweekly.com/connett/2002_nov28.html

THE ABSURDITIES OF WATER FLUORIDATION
This Practice Is Unethical, Unnecessary, Ineffective, Unsafe, And
Inequitable.
by Paul Connett, PhD

<snipped>
Fluoridation is UNNECESSARY because:

1) Children can have perfectly good teeth without being exposed to fluoride.

2) The promoters (CDC, 1999, 2001) admit that the benefits are topical not
systemic, so fluoridated toothpaste, which is universally available, is a
more rational approach to delivering fluoride to the target organ (teeth)
while minimizing exposure to the rest of the body.

3) The vast majority of western Europe has rejected water fluoridation, but
has been equally successful as the US, if not more so, in tackling tooth
decay.

4) If fluoride was necessary for strong teeth one would expect to find it in
breast milk, but the level there is 0.01 ppm , which is 100 times LESS than
in fluoridated tap water (IOM, 1997).

5) Children in non-fluoridated communities are already getting the so-called
"optimal" doses from other sources (Heller et al, 1997). In fact, many are
already being over-exposed to fluoride.

> liv
>
> take out the garbage to reply...
>
> If you can't beat your computer at chess try kickboxing.

Tsu Dho Poster
July 15th 03, 10:23 PM
"liv" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:14:50 -0400, "Ben" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
> >containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
> >really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
when
> >we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us
that
> >it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...
> -----------------
> Sadly, tap water is often not good, depending on your area,
> particularly for children. I think the baby water adds fluorides,
> which usually aren't in bottled water. This makes sense,
> unfortunately.

from my reading I'd have to conclude it makes no sense. Just last week
another country, Sweden voted to end this fluoride experiment.
The Swedish Nobel Prize winner in Medicine in 2000 was a strong oppponent of
fluoridation.

http://www.redflagsweekly.com/connett/2002_nov28.html

THE ABSURDITIES OF WATER FLUORIDATION
This Practice Is Unethical, Unnecessary, Ineffective, Unsafe, And
Inequitable.
by Paul Connett, PhD

<snipped>
Fluoridation is UNNECESSARY because:

1) Children can have perfectly good teeth without being exposed to fluoride.

2) The promoters (CDC, 1999, 2001) admit that the benefits are topical not
systemic, so fluoridated toothpaste, which is universally available, is a
more rational approach to delivering fluoride to the target organ (teeth)
while minimizing exposure to the rest of the body.

3) The vast majority of western Europe has rejected water fluoridation, but
has been equally successful as the US, if not more so, in tackling tooth
decay.

4) If fluoride was necessary for strong teeth one would expect to find it in
breast milk, but the level there is 0.01 ppm , which is 100 times LESS than
in fluoridated tap water (IOM, 1997).

5) Children in non-fluoridated communities are already getting the so-called
"optimal" doses from other sources (Heller et al, 1997). In fact, many are
already being over-exposed to fluoride.

> liv
>
> take out the garbage to reply...
>
> If you can't beat your computer at chess try kickboxing.

Nina
July 16th 03, 02:45 AM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:19:59 GMT, "Nina"
> > wrote:
>

> >Once the kids sneaked the small dog in the car and I had to buy some
water,
> >but it was PEOPLE water and I just fed it to her from a paper cup. Those
> >collapsible dog bowls are a good idea, but I'm gonna still have to rush
into
> >the 7-11 bathroom for some tap water to fill it. Ratdog is NOT getting
> >Evian!!
>
> We carry a couple of (empty) Kool-Whip containers in the car
> for the dogs to drink from, and plastic coffee mugs for us
> to drink from.
>
> We also carry water bottles (filled at home from the tap -
> we bought bottled water only to get the bottles).

I will have to get something, the rat dog likes to jump in the car and
ride,so I need to keep a dish in the car for her.

Nina
July 16th 03, 02:45 AM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:19:59 GMT, "Nina"
> > wrote:
>

> >Once the kids sneaked the small dog in the car and I had to buy some
water,
> >but it was PEOPLE water and I just fed it to her from a paper cup. Those
> >collapsible dog bowls are a good idea, but I'm gonna still have to rush
into
> >the 7-11 bathroom for some tap water to fill it. Ratdog is NOT getting
> >Evian!!
>
> We carry a couple of (empty) Kool-Whip containers in the car
> for the dogs to drink from, and plastic coffee mugs for us
> to drink from.
>
> We also carry water bottles (filled at home from the tap -
> we bought bottled water only to get the bottles).

I will have to get something, the rat dog likes to jump in the car and
ride,so I need to keep a dish in the car for her.

Nina
July 16th 03, 02:48 AM
"liv" > wrote > Sadly, tap water is often not good,
depending on your area,
> particularly for children. I think the baby water adds fluorides,
> which usually aren't in bottled water. This makes sense,
> unfortunately.

I dont know anyone in Houston or New Orleans who will drink the stuff that
comes from the tap. That stuff is NASTY, I hear its bad in Oklahoma as well.

Nina
July 16th 03, 02:48 AM
"liv" > wrote > Sadly, tap water is often not good,
depending on your area,
> particularly for children. I think the baby water adds fluorides,
> which usually aren't in bottled water. This makes sense,
> unfortunately.

I dont know anyone in Houston or New Orleans who will drink the stuff that
comes from the tap. That stuff is NASTY, I hear its bad in Oklahoma as well.

timeOday
July 21st 03, 01:39 AM
liv wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:14:50 -0400, "Ben" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
>>containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
>>really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
>>we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
>>it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...
> -----------------
> Sadly, tap water is often not good, depending on your area,
> particularly for children. I think the baby water adds fluorides,
> which usually aren't in bottled water. This makes sense,
> unfortunately.

I don't think any of the normal bottled waters have flouridation.

Baby water? Give me a break.

BTW, bottled water is being blamed for increase in cavities among kids -
lacking the flouride. But it seems such things can never be proven for
sure.

timeOday
July 21st 03, 01:39 AM
liv wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:14:50 -0400, "Ben" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
>>containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
>>really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was when
>>we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told us that
>>it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the price...
> -----------------
> Sadly, tap water is often not good, depending on your area,
> particularly for children. I think the baby water adds fluorides,
> which usually aren't in bottled water. This makes sense,
> unfortunately.

I don't think any of the normal bottled waters have flouridation.

Baby water? Give me a break.

BTW, bottled water is being blamed for increase in cavities among kids -
lacking the flouride. But it seems such things can never be proven for
sure.

timeOday
July 21st 03, 01:40 AM
Nina wrote:

> "Ben" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
>> containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
>> really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
>> when we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told
>> us that it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
>> price...
>>

> And baby food is water w/a little pureed food thrown in. When my son was a
> baby a jar of sweet potatoes was 50 cents for 2 oz, meanwhile sweet
> potatoes were 39 cents/lb. Yikes!
> Apple juice isnt really good for babies, not BAD for them, but pretty much
> empty calories. I prefer to let my kids eat their fruit and drink water. I
> tried very hard to NOT get them accustomed to drinking sweet beverages,
> kids suck that stuff down like hummingbirds!

I don't think apple juice is any better or worse than soda pop.

timeOday
July 21st 03, 01:40 AM
Nina wrote:

> "Ben" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My wife and I were in Babys R Us and noticed they were selling gallon
>> containers of water for babys at the bargain price of $3 per gallon. This
>> really takes the cake. The last thing that was this unbelievable was
>> when we asked our pediatrician about apple juice for babies and he told
>> us that it was regular apple juice with water added at several times the
>> price...
>>

> And baby food is water w/a little pureed food thrown in. When my son was a
> baby a jar of sweet potatoes was 50 cents for 2 oz, meanwhile sweet
> potatoes were 39 cents/lb. Yikes!
> Apple juice isnt really good for babies, not BAD for them, but pretty much
> empty calories. I prefer to let my kids eat their fruit and drink water. I
> tried very hard to NOT get them accustomed to drinking sweet beverages,
> kids suck that stuff down like hummingbirds!

I don't think apple juice is any better or worse than soda pop.

Nina
July 21st 03, 03:33 AM
"timeOday" > wrote

> I don't think apple juice is any better or worse than soda pop.

Not much better, it MAY have some vitamins, basically its sugar
water.WHether its BAD or not depends on your defintion of BAD, I suppose.

Tish Wolfe
July 21st 03, 04:40 PM
"Ben" > wrote in message
> Derald Martin wrote:
> > timeOday > wrote:
> >

> >>I don't think apple juice is any better or worse than soda pop.
> >
> > It isn't except, perhaps, for the absence of caffeine. As I
> > understand it, apples and juice from them directly promote dental caries
> > in children and adults. Since WWII, USAans been aggressively
> > propagandized that, if it grows on a tree, it must be "good" for us and
> > it just ain't necessarily so. Interestingly enough, some years ago
> > "Beech Nut" was discovered foisting off "apple juice" that contained no
> > juice of any kind.
>
> What was it? Did they get sued?
>
> regards,
> Ben
>

> --
> BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
> Domain:xoxy.net

Ben
July 23rd 03, 06:52 PM
liv wrote:
> That is the point. If the normal waters were fluorinated, you wouldn't
> need baby water. There is some evidence that fluoridation is a good
> thing for children's teeth, and I don't want to argue with the people
> who believe it is evidence of the government's master plan to control
> our minds. I just mean that the fluoridation is the reason why someone
> would buy the 'baby water'.

Are there pediatricians out there that recommend 'baby water' over tap
water or even a need for bottled water? If it is only flouride that is a
problem, you would think that you could anyway get bottled water cheap
and provide the flouride seaparately either through diet or some kind of
suplement much cheaper (cf. baby water at $3/gallon to regular 50c/gallon).

Ben

--
BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
Domain:xoxy.net

Nina
July 24th 03, 12:03 AM
"Ben" > wrote
> Are there pediatricians out there that recommend 'baby water' over tap
> water or even a need for bottled water? If it is only flouride that is a
> problem, you would think that you could anyway get bottled water cheap
> and provide the flouride seaparately either through diet or some kind of
> suplement much cheaper (cf. baby water at $3/gallon to regular
50c/gallon).

> Ben

I seem to remember giving my kids fluoride drops when they were breastfed. I
can imagine in an area where one doesnt use the tap water and the baby is
formula fed, that they may recommend using a bottled fluoridated water.

The Real Bev
July 24th 03, 01:57 AM
Nina wrote:

> "Ben" > wrote
> > Are there pediatricians out there that recommend 'baby water' over tap
> > water or even a need for bottled water? If it is only flouride that is a
> > problem, you would think that you could anyway get bottled water cheap
> > and provide the flouride seaparately either through diet or some kind of
> > suplement much cheaper (cf. baby water at $3/gallon to regular
> > 50c/gallon).

> I seem to remember giving my kids fluoride drops when they were breastfed. I
> can imagine in an area where one doesnt use the tap water and the baby is
> formula fed, that they may recommend using a bottled fluoridated water.

Mine were formula-fed (Enfamil + tap water + sterilizer) and I gave the
first one Tri-vi-fluor on doctor's recommendation. Then I found out that
the local water is already sufficiently high in fluoride, so I didn't do
that with the second one. Kid #1 has mottled teeth, Kid #2 doesn't.
Goddam doctor didn't know about the local water either. Plus he lost all
my kids' medical records.

--
Cheers,
Bev