PDA

View Full Version : Re: Yellow jacket nest-removal?

Don K
July 14th 03, 05:58 AM
Get a can of wasp/hornet spray and empty it into the entrance after dusk.

See a doctor about the swelling and get some kind of shot.

Don

"Ray" > wrote in message thlink.net...
Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I would rather do it myself.

Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid of the swelling and the pain?

Frank White
July 14th 03, 02:49 PM
In article k.net>,
says...
>Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
=
>tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that =
>the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to =
>remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I =
>would rather do it myself.

Get a couple or three of those high pressure hornet spray pesicide
cans from your local hardware/grogery/garden supply store.
Locate where the wasps are flying in and out of the stump (do
this at a distance). At dusk when the majority of the wasps
will be inside settled down for the night, take up position
10-15-20 feet away, take aim at the nest entrance, and blast away.
The wasps may start boiling out of the nest but as long as you
keep the spray stream aimed at the hole all of them will get
hit with the poison and dropped. After the wasps stop trying
to get out, get close to the hole (wear shoes so if you step
on any dying but not yet dead wasps you don't get stung) and
empty the rest of the can (or a whole new one) into the hole
from every possible angle to be sure the whole nest is finished.

>Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
=
>is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
=
>of the swelling and the pain?

If it's just a little swollen and those are your only symptoms,
ice the swelling and it should go away in 24 hours. If it
doesn't, or if the swelling is considerable or is spreading
up your arm or you're having trouble breathing or swallowing,
get to a doctor. NOW.

People can die from stings...

FW

Frank White
July 14th 03, 02:49 PM
In article k.net>,
says...
>Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
=
>tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that =
>the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to =
>remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I =
>would rather do it myself.

Get a couple or three of those high pressure hornet spray pesicide
cans from your local hardware/grogery/garden supply store.
Locate where the wasps are flying in and out of the stump (do
this at a distance). At dusk when the majority of the wasps
will be inside settled down for the night, take up position
10-15-20 feet away, take aim at the nest entrance, and blast away.
The wasps may start boiling out of the nest but as long as you
keep the spray stream aimed at the hole all of them will get
hit with the poison and dropped. After the wasps stop trying
to get out, get close to the hole (wear shoes so if you step
on any dying but not yet dead wasps you don't get stung) and
empty the rest of the can (or a whole new one) into the hole
from every possible angle to be sure the whole nest is finished.

>Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
=
>is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
=
>of the swelling and the pain?

If it's just a little swollen and those are your only symptoms,
ice the swelling and it should go away in 24 hours. If it
doesn't, or if the swelling is considerable or is spreading
up your arm or you're having trouble breathing or swallowing,
get to a doctor. NOW.

People can die from stings...

FW

Ned Flanders
July 14th 03, 08:50 PM
"Ray" > wrote in message k.net>...
> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.
>
> Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> of the swelling and the pain?
>

> --
> Ray
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> --

Try making a paste of meat tenderizer [papaya extract] and put it on
the sting, it will speed up the effect of the poison and bring relief
sooner. It may be to late now, works best if you put it on as soon as
you get stung. Take some aspirin and an antihistamine.

As for the stump, some gas and safely light it on fire.

Cheers,

Ned

Ned Flanders
July 14th 03, 08:50 PM
"Ray" > wrote in message k.net>...
> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.
>
> Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> of the swelling and the pain?
>

> --
> Ray
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> --

Try making a paste of meat tenderizer [papaya extract] and put it on
the sting, it will speed up the effect of the poison and bring relief
sooner. It may be to late now, works best if you put it on as soon as
you get stung. Take some aspirin and an antihistamine.

As for the stump, some gas and safely light it on fire.

Cheers,

Ned

Colt
July 14th 03, 11:28 PM
Ray wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a
> dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think
> that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want
> to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.
>
> Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My
> hand is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to
> get rid of the swelling and the pain?
>

> --
> Ray
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

I don't know about the yellow jackets, but our tree surgeon says you
can pour bleach into a stump and the stump will dissolve over a few
weeks. I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly kill
any wildlife, but I'm curious if it would work.

Colt
July 14th 03, 11:28 PM
Ray wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a
> dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think
> that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want
> to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.
>
> Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My
> hand is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to
> get rid of the swelling and the pain?
>

> --
> Ray
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

I don't know about the yellow jackets, but our tree surgeon says you
can pour bleach into a stump and the stump will dissolve over a few
weeks. I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly kill
any wildlife, but I'm curious if it would work.

Christopher Green
July 15th 03, 12:24 AM
"Ray" > wrote in message k.net>...
> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.
>
> Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> of the swelling and the pain?

Ice and antihistamines (such as Benadryl) are your friends. In a
pinch, a bag of frozen peas makes a really good ice pack. If it gets
any worse than a local reaction, see a doctor, right away.

From a safe distance, nail the buggers with one or more cans of wasp
spray.

Then read or watch Agatha Christie's "Wasp's Nest".

--
Chris Green

Christopher Green
July 15th 03, 12:24 AM
"Ray" > wrote in message k.net>...
> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.
>
> Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> of the swelling and the pain?

Ice and antihistamines (such as Benadryl) are your friends. In a
pinch, a bag of frozen peas makes a really good ice pack. If it gets
any worse than a local reaction, see a doctor, right away.

From a safe distance, nail the buggers with one or more cans of wasp
spray.

Then read or watch Agatha Christie's "Wasp's Nest".

--
Chris Green

JazzMan
July 15th 03, 02:06 AM
Ray wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a
> dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think
> that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want
> to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.

And if you don't want to use pesticides out of fear
of poisoning the local insectivorous birds, you can
use a can of 3-M Spray Adhesive. Instantly tacky,
the little buggers are immediately immobilized upon
contact, and if you spray the nest well, any of
them that return later will instantly become stuck
to the nest.

JazzMan
--
***************************************
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.

JazzMan
July 15th 03, 02:06 AM
Ray wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a
> dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think
> that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want
> to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> would rather do it myself.

And if you don't want to use pesticides out of fear
of poisoning the local insectivorous birds, you can
use a can of 3-M Spray Adhesive. Instantly tacky,
the little buggers are immediately immobilized upon
contact, and if you spray the nest well, any of
them that return later will instantly become stuck
to the nest.

JazzMan
--
***************************************
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
***************************************

Ray
July 15th 03, 03:28 AM
Thank you.

--

"Don K" > wrote in message ...
Get a can of wasp/hornet spray and empty it into the entrance after dusk.

See a doctor about the swelling and get some kind of shot.

Don

"Ray" > wrote in message thlink.net...
Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I would rather do it myself.

Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid of the swelling and the pain?

Ray
July 15th 03, 03:28 AM
Thanx. My wife just talked her friend who is also a nurse. She said to take
some antihistamine and use diesel fuel on the stump. So your answer is right
on key. Do you need a burning permit to burn a stump in your yard? I asked
my wife's friend, but she did not know.

--
Ray

Special phone rates for special people!
http://LD.net/?obtech

All-things Business:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

"Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > of the swelling and the pain?
> >

> > --
> > Ray
> > Special phone rates for special people!
> > http://LD.net/?obtech
> >
> > All-things Business:
> > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> >
> > --
> > Ray
> >
> > Special phone rates for special people!
> > http://LD.net/?obtech
> >
> > All-things Business:
> > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> > --
>

> Try making a paste of meat tenderizer [papaya extract] and put it on
> the sting, it will speed up the effect of the poison and bring relief
> sooner. It may be to late now, works best if you put it on as soon as
> you get stung. Take some aspirin and an antihistamine.
>
> As for the stump, some gas and safely light it on fire.

Ray
July 15th 03, 03:31 AM
I never thought about the tarp deal. That is a smart suggestion. However, I
can't wait until fall, because my kids play in the yard.

--
Ray

Special phone rates for special people!
http://LD.net/?obtech

All-things Business:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
om...

"Edgar S." > wrote in message
om...
> Throw a black tarp over it. Seal the bottom so they can't get in our
> out. Leave the yard. Go inside.
>
> U need to make the stump useless as a nest. If they can't go in and
> out, they will either die of leave. If the stump is in direct
> sunlight, it will get hot enuf under it to kill the hornets.
>
> Stop thinking about it until fall when they go dormant and u can
> remove the stump.
>

> "Ray" > wrote in message
k.net>...
> > Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> > tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> > the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> > remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> > would rather do it myself.
> >
> > Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> > is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> > of the swelling and the pain?
> >

> > --
> > Ray
> > Special phone rates for special people!
> > http://LD.net/?obtech
> >
> > All-things Business:
> > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> >
> > --
> > Ray
> >
> > Special phone rates for special people!
> > http://LD.net/?obtech
> >
> > All-things Business:
> > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> > --

Ray
July 15th 03, 03:32 AM
Thanx. I will ask around about the bleach thing.

--

"Colt" > wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a
> > dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think
> > that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want
> > to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> > would rather do it myself.
> >
> > Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My
> > hand is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to
> > get rid of the swelling and the pain?
> >

> > --
> > Ray
> > Special phone rates for special people!
> > http://LD.net/?obtech
> >
> > All-things Business:
> > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> >
> > --
> > Ray
> >
> > Special phone rates for special people!
> > http://LD.net/?obtech
> >
> > All-things Business:
> > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
>

> I don't know about the yellow jackets, but our tree surgeon says you
> can pour bleach into a stump and the stump will dissolve over a few
> weeks. I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly kill
> any wildlife, but I'm curious if it would work.

Ray
July 15th 03, 03:34 AM
Thanx. But I don't know about the "Wasp's Nest" movie. I don't want to see a
wasp again.

--
Ray

Special phone rates for special people!
http://LD.net/?obtech

All-things Business:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

"Christopher Green" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ray" > wrote in message
k.net>...
> > Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> > tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> > the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> > remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> > would rather do it myself.
> >
> > Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> > is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> > of the swelling and the pain?
>
> Ice and antihistamines (such as Benadryl) are your friends. In a
> pinch, a bag of frozen peas makes a really good ice pack. If it gets
> any worse than a local reaction, see a doctor, right away.
>
> From a safe distance, nail the buggers with one or more cans of wasp
> spray.
>
> Then read or watch Agatha Christie's "Wasp's Nest".
>
> --
> Chris Green

Ray
July 15th 03, 03:34 AM
Thanx. But I don't know about the "Wasp's Nest" movie. I don't want to see a
wasp again.

--
Ray

Special phone rates for special people!
http://LD.net/?obtech

All-things Business:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

"Christopher Green" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ray" > wrote in message
k.net>...
> > Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> > tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> > the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> > remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> > would rather do it myself.
> >
> > Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> > is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> > of the swelling and the pain?
>
> Ice and antihistamines (such as Benadryl) are your friends. In a
> pinch, a bag of frozen peas makes a really good ice pack. If it gets
> any worse than a local reaction, see a doctor, right away.
>
> From a safe distance, nail the buggers with one or more cans of wasp
> spray.
>
> Then read or watch Agatha Christie's "Wasp's Nest".
>
> --
> Chris Green

The Real Bev
July 15th 03, 03:35 AM
Dennis wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:28:46 -0400, Colt >
> wrote:
>
> >I don't know about the yellow jackets, but our tree surgeon says you
> >can pour bleach into a stump and the stump will dissolve over a few
> >weeks. I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly kill
> >any wildlife, but I'm curious if it would work.
>
> Hmm, sounds cheap and easy to try, maybe I'll give it a shot.

The "few weeks" thing sounds impossible, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

The guy who left the stumps (cost a lot more to remove them) when he took
out some trees said to drill a mess of half-inch holes down the stump,
fill them with salt and add water occasionally. Chinese elms spurt
thousands of sprouts, but they eventually died. Haven't tried to remove
them because they aren't in the way, but it might be interesting.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 15th 03, 03:35 AM
Dennis wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:28:46 -0400, Colt >
> wrote:
>
> >I don't know about the yellow jackets, but our tree surgeon says you
> >can pour bleach into a stump and the stump will dissolve over a few
> >weeks. I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly kill
> >any wildlife, but I'm curious if it would work.
>
> Hmm, sounds cheap and easy to try, maybe I'll give it a shot.

The "few weeks" thing sounds impossible, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

The guy who left the stumps (cost a lot more to remove them) when he took
out some trees said to drill a mess of half-inch holes down the stump,
fill them with salt and add water occasionally. Chinese elms spurt
thousands of sprouts, but they eventually died. Haven't tried to remove
them because they aren't in the way, but it might be interesting.

--
Cheers,
Bev
"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Tell him that the
government will give him lots of fish and he will vote for you forever.
When he doesn't get any fish, blame the other guys." --A Taxpayer

Ray
July 15th 03, 03:36 AM
Wow, that is a great suggestion. I never thought of that. I did try the
wasp's spray the other day and that's why I got stung. Some of them got
away. But the 3M spray sound like a winner.

--

"JazzMan" > wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a
> > dead tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think
> > that the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want
> > to remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> > would rather do it myself.
> >

> And if you don't want to use pesticides out of fear
> of poisoning the local insectivorous birds, you can
> use a can of 3-M Spray Adhesive. Instantly tacky,
> the little buggers are immediately immobilized upon
> contact, and if you spray the nest well, any of
> them that return later will instantly become stuck
> to the nest.
>
> JazzMan
> Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
> Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!

I wouldn't use an aerosol spray . . . it would give the little boogers too
much opportunity to retaliate. I'd make up 5 or 10 gallons of some potent
water-based stuff (diazanon, whatever) and pour it on top after sunset, when
they're all home napping. Then throw a big tarp on top, and run for your
life . . .

Dunno about the sting . . . I got stung while riding my motorcycle once, and
a nice lady in Arkansas recommended Benedryl. I made a bee-line to the
nearest pharmacy, took a pill, and lived happily ever after. Have no idea
why it worked, but it did for me.
Good luck,
--Tock

By the way, Happy Bastille Day!

July 15th 03, 03:59 AM
I wouldn't use an aerosol spray . . . it would give the little boogers too
much opportunity to retaliate. I'd make up 5 or 10 gallons of some potent
water-based stuff (diazanon, whatever) and pour it on top after sunset, when
they're all home napping. Then throw a big tarp on top, and run for your
life . . .

Dunno about the sting . . . I got stung while riding my motorcycle once, and
a nice lady in Arkansas recommended Benedryl. I made a bee-line to the
nearest pharmacy, took a pill, and lived happily ever after. Have no idea
why it worked, but it did for me.
Good luck,
--Tock

By the way, Happy Bastille Day!

The Real Bev

> I wouldn't use an aerosol spray . . . it would give the little boogers too
> much opportunity to retaliate. I'd make up 5 or 10 gallons of some potent
> water-based stuff (diazanon, whatever) and pour it on top after sunset, when
> they're all home napping. Then throw a big tarp on top, and run for your
> life . . .
>
> Dunno about the sting . . . I got stung while riding my motorcycle once, and
> a nice lady in Arkansas recommended Benedryl. I made a bee-line to the
> nearest pharmacy, took a pill, and lived happily ever after. Have no idea
> why it worked, but it did for me.

4 of them make an excellent sleeping pill, according to Dr. Gott. He's
right.

> By the way, Happy Bastille Day!

Le jour de gloire est arrivee! Aux armes, frugalistes!

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

> I wouldn't use an aerosol spray . . . it would give the little boogers too
> much opportunity to retaliate. I'd make up 5 or 10 gallons of some potent
> water-based stuff (diazanon, whatever) and pour it on top after sunset, when
> they're all home napping. Then throw a big tarp on top, and run for your
> life . . .
>
> Dunno about the sting . . . I got stung while riding my motorcycle once, and
> a nice lady in Arkansas recommended Benedryl. I made a bee-line to the
> nearest pharmacy, took a pill, and lived happily ever after. Have no idea
> why it worked, but it did for me.

4 of them make an excellent sleeping pill, according to Dr. Gott. He's
right.

> By the way, Happy Bastille Day!

Le jour de gloire est arrivee! Aux armes, frugalistes!

--
Cheers,
Bev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
While you can't fool all the people all the time, you can fool
enough of them most of the time to make the rest impotent.

July 15th 03, 07:19 AM
"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> Dennis wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:28:46 -0400, Colt >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I don't know about the yellow jackets, but our tree surgeon says you
> > >can pour bleach into a stump and the stump will dissolve over a few
> > >weeks. I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly
kill
> > >any wildlife, but I'm curious if it would work.

salt peter is labeled and sold for this purpose in garden supply (or used to
be avail)

> > Hmm, sounds cheap and easy to try, maybe I'll give it a shot.
>
> The "few weeks" thing sounds impossible, but maybe I'll give it a shot.
>
> The guy who left the stumps (cost a lot more to remove them) when he took
> out some trees said to drill a mess of half-inch holes down the stump,
> fill them with salt and add water occasionally. Chinese elms spurt
> thousands of sprouts, but they eventually died. Haven't tried to remove
> them because they aren't in the way, but it might be interesting.

Rot stump. Drilling holes is good, can add media, and plant with succulents.
(Infrequent irrigation requirement) Requires HUGE bit and brace and bit
(muscle) or high powered (not cordless) drill.

Set low pots of succulents on top to rot the stump. If top not level, set
pot drain hole over large nail or screw in the stump

July 15th 03, 07:19 AM
"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> Dennis wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:28:46 -0400, Colt >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I don't know about the yellow jackets, but our tree surgeon says you
> > >can pour bleach into a stump and the stump will dissolve over a few
> > >weeks. I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly
kill
> > >any wildlife, but I'm curious if it would work.

salt peter is labeled and sold for this purpose in garden supply (or used to
be avail)

> > Hmm, sounds cheap and easy to try, maybe I'll give it a shot.
>
> The "few weeks" thing sounds impossible, but maybe I'll give it a shot.
>
> The guy who left the stumps (cost a lot more to remove them) when he took
> out some trees said to drill a mess of half-inch holes down the stump,
> fill them with salt and add water occasionally. Chinese elms spurt
> thousands of sprouts, but they eventually died. Haven't tried to remove
> them because they aren't in the way, but it might be interesting.

Rot stump. Drilling holes is good, can add media, and plant with succulents.
(Infrequent irrigation requirement) Requires HUGE bit and brace and bit
(muscle) or high powered (not cordless) drill.

Set low pots of succulents on top to rot the stump. If top not level, set
pot drain hole over large nail or screw in the stump

Ned Flanders
July 15th 03, 07:55 AM
"Ray" > wrote in message nk.net>...
> Thanx. My wife just talked her friend who is also a nurse. She said to take
> some antihistamine and use diesel fuel on the stump. So your answer is right
> on key. Do you need a burning permit to burn a stump in your yard? I asked
> my wife's friend, but she did not know.
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
>

> "Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Ray" > wrote in message
> k.net>...
> > > Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> > > tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> > > the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> > > remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> > > would rather do it myself.
> > >
> > > Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> > > is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> > > of the swelling and the pain?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Ray
> > > Special phone rates for special people!
> > > http://LD.net/?obtech
> > >
> > > All-things Business:
> > > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ray
> > >
> > > Special phone rates for special people!
> > > http://LD.net/?obtech
> > >
> > > All-things Business:
> > > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> > > --
> >

> > Try making a paste of meat tenderizer [papaya extract] and put it on
> > the sting, it will speed up the effect of the poison and bring relief
> > sooner. It may be to late now, works best if you put it on as soon as
> > you get stung. Take some aspirin and an antihistamine.
> >
> > As for the stump, some gas and safely light it on fire.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ned

Call the Fire Marshal and ask; our community has a designated burning
day each month, have a hose turned on and handy. Also it never hurts
to tell the neighbors that you will be having a controlled fire, in
case they see smoke.

Cheers,

Ned

Ned Flanders
July 15th 03, 07:55 AM
"Ray" > wrote in message nk.net>...
> Thanx. My wife just talked her friend who is also a nurse. She said to take
> some antihistamine and use diesel fuel on the stump. So your answer is right
> on key. Do you need a burning permit to burn a stump in your yard? I asked
> my wife's friend, but she did not know.
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Special phone rates for special people!
> http://LD.net/?obtech
>
> All-things Business:
> http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
>

> "Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Ray" > wrote in message
> k.net>...
> > > Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
> > > tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that
> > > the nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to
> > > remove the whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I
> > > would rather do it myself.
> > >
> > > Also, one of the yellow jackets stung me on the hand yesterday. My hand
> > > is swollen and, at times, it burns and itches. What can I do to get rid
> > > of the swelling and the pain?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Ray
> > > Special phone rates for special people!
> > > http://LD.net/?obtech
> > >
> > > All-things Business:
> > > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ray
> > >
> > > Special phone rates for special people!
> > > http://LD.net/?obtech
> > >
> > > All-things Business:
> > > http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com
> > > --
> >

> > Try making a paste of meat tenderizer [papaya extract] and put it on
> > the sting, it will speed up the effect of the poison and bring relief
> > sooner. It may be to late now, works best if you put it on as soon as
> > you get stung. Take some aspirin and an antihistamine.
> >
> > As for the stump, some gas and safely light it on fire.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ned

Call the Fire Marshal and ask; our community has a designated burning
day each month, have a hose turned on and handy. Also it never hurts
to tell the neighbors that you will be having a controlled fire, in
case they see smoke.

Cheers,

Ned

Bob
July 15th 03, 06:19 PM
"Ray" > wrote in message news:%OpQa.99882
Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that the
nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to remove the
whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I would rather do it
myself.

If the nest has just one "exit", just set the hose of your shop vac very
close to it, turn it on, and wait till you stop hearing "thunks". Then turn
off the vac, spray a little insecticide into it as it winds down, and plug
the tube with a paper towel for awhile. Best done in the evening or early
morning when they are all home.

Bob

Bob
July 15th 03, 06:19 PM
"Ray" > wrote in message news:%OpQa.99882
Does anyone know how I can remove a yellow jacket nest located in a dead
tree stump in my backyard? The tree stump is decaying and I think that the
nest is in one of the pockets inside the tree stump. I want to remove the
whole stump, but I don't want to pay someone to do it. I would rather do it
myself.

If the nest has just one "exit", just set the hose of your shop vac very
close to it, turn it on, and wait till you stop hearing "thunks". Then turn
off the vac, spray a little insecticide into it as it winds down, and plug
the tube with a paper towel for awhile. Best done in the evening or early
morning when they are all home.

Bob

Ray
July 16th 03, 06:32 AM
Thanx. I put some ice on it and the Epsom salt has brought the swelling down
drastically. I will remember the "run for your life part".

Thanx.
--
Ray

Special phone rates for special people!
http://LD.net/?obtech

All-things Business:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

> wrote in message
. ..
> I wouldn't use an aerosol spray . . . it would give the little boogers too
> much opportunity to retaliate. I'd make up 5 or 10 gallons of some
potent
> water-based stuff (diazanon, whatever) and pour it on top after sunset,
when
> they're all home napping. Then throw a big tarp on top, and run for your
> life . . .
>
> Dunno about the sting . . . I got stung while riding my motorcycle once,
and
> a nice lady in Arkansas recommended Benedryl. I made a bee-line to the
> nearest pharmacy, took a pill, and lived happily ever after. Have no
idea
> why it worked, but it did for me.
> Good luck,
> --Tock
>
> By the way, Happy Bastille Day!

Ray
July 16th 03, 06:32 AM
Thanx. I put some ice on it and the Epsom salt has brought the swelling down
drastically. I will remember the "run for your life part".

Thanx.
--
Ray

Special phone rates for special people!
http://LD.net/?obtech

All-things Business:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

> wrote in message
. ..
> I wouldn't use an aerosol spray . . . it would give the little boogers too
> much opportunity to retaliate. I'd make up 5 or 10 gallons of some
potent
> water-based stuff (diazanon, whatever) and pour it on top after sunset,
when
> they're all home napping. Then throw a big tarp on top, and run for your
> life . . .
>
> Dunno about the sting . . . I got stung while riding my motorcycle once,
and
> a nice lady in Arkansas recommended Benedryl. I made a bee-line to the
> nearest pharmacy, took a pill, and lived happily ever after. Have no
idea
> why it worked, but it did for me.
> Good luck,
> --Tock
>
> By the way, Happy Bastille Day!

Edgar S.
July 16th 03, 09:41 PM
"Ray" > wrote in message nk.net>...
> I never thought about the tarp deal. That is a smart suggestion. However, I
> can't wait until fall, because my kids play in the yard.

You don't Quite get it: Seal it with the black plastic tarp rite now.
Heat from the sun will kill every living thing under it. If u put the
tarp on at nite, and seal the bottom carefully, u will trap all the
hornets as they return to their nest for the evening.

Seal it with the black plastic. The stump should be removed, but the
removal can wait 'til fall when ur sure the insects are inactive.
Crack open the tarp too soon, and they're just going to be miffed.

Edgar S.
July 16th 03, 09:41 PM
"Ray" > wrote in message nk.net>...
> I never thought about the tarp deal. That is a smart suggestion. However, I
> can't wait until fall, because my kids play in the yard.

You don't Quite get it: Seal it with the black plastic tarp rite now.
Heat from the sun will kill every living thing under it. If u put the
tarp on at nite, and seal the bottom carefully, u will trap all the
hornets as they return to their nest for the evening.

Seal it with the black plastic. The stump should be removed, but the
removal can wait 'til fall when ur sure the insects are inactive.
Crack open the tarp too soon, and they're just going to be miffed.

John Savage
July 20th 03, 03:13 AM
(Edgar S.) writes:
>"Ray" > wrote in message nk.net>...
>> I never thought about the tarp deal. That is a smart suggestion. However, I
>> can't wait until fall, because my kids play in the yard.
>
>You don't Quite get it: Seal it with the black plastic tarp rite now.
>Heat from the sun will kill every living thing under it. If u put the
>tarp on at nite, and seal the bottom carefully, u will trap all the
>hornets as they return to their nest for the evening.

Sand poured all around the edge of the plastic should weigh it down
securely.

>Seal it with the black plastic. The stump should be removed, but the
>removal can wait 'til fall when ur sure the insects are inactive.
>Crack open the tarp too soon, and they're just going to be miffed.

Once you have it sealed, I think you could direct a spray can of
insecticide into it (through a tiny hole) and the heat of the sun
will do the rest in one day. Seal the hole with duct tape lest the
hornets see it as an exit hole they can enlarge upon. (If you plan
ahead, it probably would be possible to place the spray can under
the plastic before you cover the nest. Then press the top through
yhe later of plastic; aim is not important, the sun's heat will
vapourize it in any case.)

Not speaking from experience, we don't have yellow jackets here in
Australia. Yet.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

John Savage
July 20th 03, 03:13 AM
(Edgar S.) writes:
>"Ray" > wrote in message nk.net>...
>> I never thought about the tarp deal. That is a smart suggestion. However, I
>> can't wait until fall, because my kids play in the yard.
>
>You don't Quite get it: Seal it with the black plastic tarp rite now.
>Heat from the sun will kill every living thing under it. If u put the
>tarp on at nite, and seal the bottom carefully, u will trap all the
>hornets as they return to their nest for the evening.

Sand poured all around the edge of the plastic should weigh it down
securely.

>Seal it with the black plastic. The stump should be removed, but the
>removal can wait 'til fall when ur sure the insects are inactive.
>Crack open the tarp too soon, and they're just going to be miffed.

Once you have it sealed, I think you could direct a spray can of
insecticide into it (through a tiny hole) and the heat of the sun
will do the rest in one day. Seal the hole with duct tape lest the
hornets see it as an exit hole they can enlarge upon. (If you plan
ahead, it probably would be possible to place the spray can under
the plastic before you cover the nest. Then press the top through
yhe later of plastic; aim is not important, the sun's heat will
vapourize it in any case.)

Not speaking from experience, we don't have yellow jackets here in
Australia. Yet.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Dennis
July 20th 03, 03:57 AM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:13:44 GMT, John Savage
> wrote:

>Not speaking from experience, we don't have yellow jackets here in
>Australia. Yet.

Really? There's plenty of them in New Zealand.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 20th 03, 03:57 AM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:13:44 GMT, John Savage
> wrote:

>Not speaking from experience, we don't have yellow jackets here in
>Australia. Yet.

Really? There's plenty of them in New Zealand.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Don K
July 20th 03, 04:30 AM
"John Savage" > wrote in message
om...
> (Edgar S.) writes:
> >"Ray" > wrote in message
nk.net>...
> >> I never thought about the tarp deal. That is a smart suggestion.
However, I
> >> can't wait until fall, because my kids play in the yard.
> >
> >You don't Quite get it: Seal it with the black plastic tarp rite now.
> >Heat from the sun will kill every living thing under it. If u put the
> >tarp on at nite, and seal the bottom carefully, u will trap all the
> >hornets as they return to their nest for the evening.
>
> Sand poured all around the edge of the plastic should weigh it down
> securely.

I'm trying to picture sealing the edges of a tarp laying on a
lawn of clumpy grass before the hornets start crawling
thru the clumps. No, it's not something I would want to try.

It might work if you live in the outback desert though.

> >Seal it with the black plastic. The stump should be removed, but the
> >removal can wait 'til fall when ur sure the insects are inactive.
> >Crack open the tarp too soon, and they're just going to be miffed.
>
> Once you have it sealed, I think you could direct a spray can of
> insecticide into it (through a tiny hole) and the heat of the sun
> will do the rest in one day. Seal the hole with duct tape lest the
> hornets see it as an exit hole they can enlarge upon. (If you plan
> ahead, it probably would be possible to place the spray can under
> the plastic before you cover the nest. Then press the top through
> yhe later of plastic; aim is not important, the sun's heat will
> vapourize it in any case.)

If the hornet spray disolves your tarp, you'd better have a plan B
in mind, just in case. I know the stuff disolves roofing tile!

Don

Don K
July 20th 03, 04:30 AM
"John Savage" > wrote in message
om...
> (Edgar S.) writes:
> >"Ray" > wrote in message
nk.net>...
> >> I never thought about the tarp deal. That is a smart suggestion.
However, I
> >> can't wait until fall, because my kids play in the yard.
> >
> >You don't Quite get it: Seal it with the black plastic tarp rite now.
> >Heat from the sun will kill every living thing under it. If u put the
> >tarp on at nite, and seal the bottom carefully, u will trap all the
> >hornets as they return to their nest for the evening.
>
> Sand poured all around the edge of the plastic should weigh it down
> securely.

I'm trying to picture sealing the edges of a tarp laying on a
lawn of clumpy grass before the hornets start crawling
thru the clumps. No, it's not something I would want to try.

It might work if you live in the outback desert though.

> >Seal it with the black plastic. The stump should be removed, but the
> >removal can wait 'til fall when ur sure the insects are inactive.
> >Crack open the tarp too soon, and they're just going to be miffed.
>
> Once you have it sealed, I think you could direct a spray can of
> insecticide into it (through a tiny hole) and the heat of the sun
> will do the rest in one day. Seal the hole with duct tape lest the
> hornets see it as an exit hole they can enlarge upon. (If you plan
> ahead, it probably would be possible to place the spray can under
> the plastic before you cover the nest. Then press the top through
> yhe later of plastic; aim is not important, the sun's heat will
> vapourize it in any case.)

If the hornet spray disolves your tarp, you'd better have a plan B
in mind, just in case. I know the stuff disolves roofing tile!

Don

John Savage
July 24th 03, 03:24 AM
"Don K" > writes:
>"John Savage" > wrote in message
om...
>> Sand poured all around the edge of the plastic should weigh it down
>> securely.
>
>I'm trying to picture sealing the edges of a tarp laying on a
>lawn of clumpy grass before the hornets start crawling
>thru the clumps.

Think lots of sand. Many bucketsful of it. Some weighing the edge down,
most piled up around it filling the gap and extending well out beyond and
over the border of the plastic. Tramp around it to make it secure if your
hornets carry shovels.

>It might work if you live in the outback desert though.

No, the sand needs to be damp, not powder dry. Ordinary soil will do just
as well. Have plenty of it ready.

>If the hornet spray disolves your tarp, you'd better have a plan B
>in mind, just in case. I know the stuff disolves roofing tile!

In the suffocating heat of the summer sun under sealed plastic, any
living thing will succumb to the fumes of household fly/bug insecticide,
in my experience. We don't even need hornet spray here, AFAIK. Our Aussie
hornets are gentle solitary creatures more given to flight than fight. The
few that do take up residence where they are unwanted can easily be taken
on the wing with a well-aimed tennis racquet. We live on the edge! ;-)
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Google