PDA

View Full Version : some nice websites

Twilightboy
July 14th 03, 08:39 PM
Greetings Frugal-living readers,

Here are some websites that I myself like. As opposed to sites which list
free samples, or other free sites, these sites are actually just directly
what they claim to be. The internet has so many nice things on it, so I
thought I might pass some of them along. Hopefully this post won't be too
long or off-topic ;) . Enjoy!

* consumer info :

http://www.epinions.com

easy price comparisons and user reviews on everything from washers to books.

http://froogle.google.com

Google's lesser-known project which is an enormous price-comparison database.

(one of the many nice sites Google offers to the general public - here is
their current list : http://www.google.com/options/)

http://www.half.com

Owned by EBay and very similiar, only the prices are pre-set. Wonderful
for finding good deals on items ; especially books.

* other websites :

http://www.randomwebsite.com

Not really frugal per se', however if one finds one's self always visiting
the same websites, give it a click! I've always found interesting new places.

http://www.mindspring.com/~davleib/daysease.html

For Windows users, design your own calendar! You can even insert adjustable
.bmp picture files into it. Very nice.
For Mac users, check out the 'calendar' template under Appleworks. You are
all set!

http://www.cdkitchen.com

Quite possibly the best recipe source on the web. Free. Over 200,000 +
recipes (even Food Network doesn't have 1/3 of this). Several copy-cat
ones (make your own Olive Garden salad dressing!). Searchable, too!

http://www.memolink.com

While several places offer free items for doing surveys, etc. memolink
offers many options - you can buy things, do surveys or simply literally
visit a website each day - even answer trivia. If you gather up enough
points (e.g. bookmark it and quickly visit it each day ;) ) you can get
items such as gift certificates to Red Lobster, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

http://mail.yahoo.com

A popular e-mail provider. Yahoo! offers a very nice feature - block
entire e-mail domain addresses. In other words, if you are getting mail
from :

,
, and
,

simply type *.freeoffers.com in the 'block address' section and never
read an e-mail from them again! Yahoo offers in their basic accounts up
to 100 different domains blocked. Blocking the literal address will, of
course, work from the main page. Head to "Mail Options" (upper-right-hand
corner, once logging in) and then to the "Block Addresses" page to manage
the current ones you have. Very nice.

"best of CitySearch" - free attractions
(misc. websites)

If one lives near or in a large city, many of the US ones listed through
the Citysearch website have a great list - top 10 free attractions. It is
updated each year. Archives from 2001 are often available, as are editor
picks, user comments etc. I found out about a 121-acre park, literally 4
minutes from where I live, thanks to this list! (The Columbus, Ohio one)
A Google search can help narrow it down. While many cities fall under
Citysearch, not all of them are large enough, etc. to have a 'free
attraction' section.

Misc. on-line magazines, periodicals, etc.

There are many great news sources on the internet. Here are some of the
ones which I feel are good deals and can save one money from having to buy
the print version.

http://www.foodandwine.com - Food and Wine magazine.
http://www.nytimes.com - NY Times. So much info! Free but registration.
http://www.utne.com - best of Alternative Press. Noteworthy news.
http://www.advocate.com - The Advocate. well-known gay-themed magazine.
http://www.almanac.com - the original Farmer's Almanac. Very nice!
http://www.wired.com - Wired. well-known computer / tech magazine
http://www.cosmopolitan.com - well-known fashion magazine Cosmopolitian.

There are many others, and some common / generic magazines (Time, etc.)
here! : http://www.magatopia.com/ , in many catagories.

http://www.archive.org

Remember that website from 1998? Archive.org has it - still in that form!
Fascinating, enormous site which saves as much as it can from the web of
days (, sometimes literally) gone by. In addition some archival material.
From the 60's - old ads! ("you'll wonder where the yellow went, when you
brush your teeth with Pepso-Dent!") Even a funny "Your name here" satire
("Yes, 'your name here', you're on your way to success!" - and the guy
actually says the phrase, 'your name here'. lol). Check out the "Books"
and "Moving Images" sections as well.
Because of the sheer volume of material, there is a short delay while
the information (, search etc.) is being processed.

Okay. Have a good day!

Take care,
* Geoff

Elana
July 14th 03, 10:14 PM
Twilightboy > wrote:

> Check out the "Books"
> and "Moving Images" sections as well.

Okay, thanks so much for that! The show I used to work on is in there,
so now I can go find when my hubby was on in '93 :-).

Elana
July 14th 03, 10:14 PM
Twilightboy > wrote:

> Check out the "Books"
> and "Moving Images" sections as well.

Okay, thanks so much for that! The show I used to work on is in there,
so now I can go find when my hubby was on in '93 :-).

Valerie Whitmore
July 19th 03, 01:44 AM
(Twilightboy) wrote in message >...
> Greetings Frugal-living readers,

> http://www.cdkitchen.com
>
> Quite possibly the best recipe source on the web. Free. Over 200,000 +
> recipes (even Food Network doesn't have 1/3 of this). Several copy-cat
> ones (make your own Olive Garden salad dressing!). Searchable, too!

I just wanted to personally say thanks for this nice review of
CDKitchen! I mean, *I* think it's the best - but of course, there's a
chance I might be just a little biased. :)

-valerie
CDKitchen.com

Valerie Whitmore
July 19th 03, 01:44 AM
(Twilightboy) wrote in message >...
> Greetings Frugal-living readers,

> http://www.cdkitchen.com
>
> Quite possibly the best recipe source on the web. Free. Over 200,000 +
> recipes (even Food Network doesn't have 1/3 of this). Several copy-cat
> ones (make your own Olive Garden salad dressing!). Searchable, too!

I just wanted to personally say thanks for this nice review of
CDKitchen! I mean, *I* think it's the best - but of course, there's a
chance I might be just a little biased. :)

-valerie
CDKitchen.com

Twilightboy
July 19th 03, 11:01 PM
Greetings Frugal-living readers,

Just a quick note to say "you're welcome!" to Elana and Valerie (and anyone
else who read this e-mail ;) ). I was just taking a break from playing some
Pogo games (at www.pogo.com). From EA Games, they are one of many fun
websites where you can 'win things' just by visiting them and clicking.
Pogo.com is particularly neat as you can play games for free, and if you hit
the jackpot, you win real money! Now, the jackpots are not all that high
(they go up to, I read, $5,000, no more, before stopping until someone wins),
but never the less, to get (possible) *money, to say nothing of tokens, just
for playing a game of solitaire on your computer, is just too good to be
true. You can even chat with people! (during the 30 second breaks between
games, heh).

Okay. Take care!
* Geoff

Twilightboy
[...]