PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy new glasses . . .

July 15th 03, 03:48 AM
Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
Trifocals.
Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
"Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything. Both
places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
10,000 thanks,
--Tock

Bear
July 15th 03, 04:36 AM
> wrote in message
> Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> Trifocals.
> Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
> the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
> "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
> cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
Both
> places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> 10,000 thanks,
> --Tock

www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
They are in Florida and excellent. I have been dealing with them for many
years.
Bear

Bear
July 15th 03, 04:36 AM
> wrote in message
> Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> Trifocals.
> Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
> the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
> "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
> cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
Both
> places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> 10,000 thanks,
> --Tock

www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
They are in Florida and excellent. I have been dealing with them for many
years.
Bear

Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)
July 15th 03, 06:34 AM
I second that. The local, independent small shops have a better selection,
better quality, better opticians, and they are usually significantly cheaper
as well.

Thanks,

Mike

--
To reply via email remove the X's from my email address:

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'd recommend that you NOT buy glasses online. You won't be able to get
the
> frames fitted, and you have zero guarantee that the focal points of the
> various Rxs will be where they need to be in relation to your eye and its
> various positions.
>
> Try both Sams and Costco - find a friend who is a member if you aren't
> yourself. Ask people you see on the street who are wearing frames that
> don't fall into the "klunky" category what optician they use. Post on
your
> local *.general group asking for optician recommendations.
>
> Glasses are not cheap, but you can do better than mall glasses by spending
> some time to find a good local optician.
>
> > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > Trifocals.
> > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both
> > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> > 10,000 thanks,
> > --Tock

Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)
July 15th 03, 06:34 AM
I second that. The local, independent small shops have a better selection,
better quality, better opticians, and they are usually significantly cheaper
as well.

Thanks,

Mike

--
To reply via email remove the X's from my email address:

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'd recommend that you NOT buy glasses online. You won't be able to get
the
> frames fitted, and you have zero guarantee that the focal points of the
> various Rxs will be where they need to be in relation to your eye and its
> various positions.
>
> Try both Sams and Costco - find a friend who is a member if you aren't
> yourself. Ask people you see on the street who are wearing frames that
> don't fall into the "klunky" category what optician they use. Post on
your
> local *.general group asking for optician recommendations.
>
> Glasses are not cheap, but you can do better than mall glasses by spending
> some time to find a good local optician.
>
> > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > Trifocals.
> > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both
> > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> > 10,000 thanks,
> > --Tock

July 15th 03, 06:58 AM
if I recall CU and bay area checkbook summarized:
local optometrist for prescription (about $50 plus checkup cost)

then Costco for lowest cost and good quality. (but not best quality)

the chains were the worst in general
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'd recommend that you NOT buy glasses online. You won't be able to get
the
> frames fitted, and you have zero guarantee that the focal points of the
> various Rxs will be where they need to be in relation to your eye and its
> various positions.
>
> Try both Sams and Costco - find a friend who is a member if you aren't
> yourself. Ask people you see on the street who are wearing frames that
> don't fall into the "klunky" category what optician they use. Post on
your
> local *.general group asking for optician recommendations.
>
> Glasses are not cheap, but you can do better than mall glasses by spending
> some time to find a good local optician.
>
> > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > Trifocals.
> > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both
> > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> > 10,000 thanks,
> > --Tock

July 15th 03, 06:58 AM
if I recall CU and bay area checkbook summarized:
local optometrist for prescription (about $50 plus checkup cost)

then Costco for lowest cost and good quality. (but not best quality)

the chains were the worst in general
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'd recommend that you NOT buy glasses online. You won't be able to get
the
> frames fitted, and you have zero guarantee that the focal points of the
> various Rxs will be where they need to be in relation to your eye and its
> various positions.
>
> Try both Sams and Costco - find a friend who is a member if you aren't
> yourself. Ask people you see on the street who are wearing frames that
> don't fall into the "klunky" category what optician they use. Post on
your
> local *.general group asking for optician recommendations.
>
> Glasses are not cheap, but you can do better than mall glasses by spending
> some time to find a good local optician.
>
> > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > Trifocals.
> > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both
> > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> > 10,000 thanks,
> > --Tock

David Zeit
July 15th 03, 09:50 AM
x-no-archive: yes

Usually we get what we pay for.

wrote:

> Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> Trifocals.
> Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
> the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
> "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
> cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything. Both
> places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> 10,000 thanks,
> --Tock

Me
July 15th 03, 01:08 PM
In article >,
> wrote:

> Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> Trifocals.
> Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
> the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
> "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
> cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything. Both
> places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> 10,000 thanks,

Talk with your optician to discuss your concern about the high cost.
Depending on your prescription and your needs, it might be cheaper for
you to get a set of bifocals AND a second set of glasses for the rest of
your prescription, or three separate pairs of glasses.

That is kind of what I did when I got prescribed for new glasses a few
months ago. My optician recommended bifocals that included a portion of
the lenses for reading. For the reading part, I had the option of simply
buying a cheap pair of generic reading glasses from a drug store and
just getting the near sighted portion of my prescription filled. This
saved me a lot of money, esp. since I never bothered to buy the reading
glasses (although I did try on a few pairs). I couldn't see much of an
improvement with the reading glasses vs. without them so I never bought
them. The down side is that you will probably need to carry multiple
sets of glasses with you and switch them several times a day.

Buying prescription glasses online doesn't strike me as a good idea. The
reason is that you'll need to get the glasses fitted properly and you
certainly can't do the fitting online.

Me
July 15th 03, 01:08 PM
In article >,
> wrote:

> Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> Trifocals.
> Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
> the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
> "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
> cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything. Both
> places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> 10,000 thanks,

Talk with your optician to discuss your concern about the high cost.
Depending on your prescription and your needs, it might be cheaper for
you to get a set of bifocals AND a second set of glasses for the rest of
your prescription, or three separate pairs of glasses.

That is kind of what I did when I got prescribed for new glasses a few
months ago. My optician recommended bifocals that included a portion of
the lenses for reading. For the reading part, I had the option of simply
buying a cheap pair of generic reading glasses from a drug store and
just getting the near sighted portion of my prescription filled. This
saved me a lot of money, esp. since I never bothered to buy the reading
glasses (although I did try on a few pairs). I couldn't see much of an
improvement with the reading glasses vs. without them so I never bought
them. The down side is that you will probably need to carry multiple
sets of glasses with you and switch them several times a day.

Buying prescription glasses online doesn't strike me as a good idea. The
reason is that you'll need to get the glasses fitted properly and you
certainly can't do the fitting online.

Lurker Steve
July 15th 03, 04:56 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Try both Sams and Costco - find a friend who is a member if you aren't
> yourself. Ask people you see on the street who are wearing frames that
> don't fall into the "klunky" category what optician they use. Post on
your
> local *.general group asking for optician recommendations.

I went to my local optometrist who I am very happy with - as an
optometrist - but her frames were very expensive ($160 for some decent
ones.)

Costco had very similar frames for only $40 or so. The lenses weren't very
much either.

I've been wearing them for about a year now and have been very happy with
them - just as happy as the pair I had gotten completely through the
optometrist.

Lurker Steve
July 15th 03, 04:56 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Try both Sams and Costco - find a friend who is a member if you aren't
> yourself. Ask people you see on the street who are wearing frames that
> don't fall into the "klunky" category what optician they use. Post on
your
> local *.general group asking for optician recommendations.

I went to my local optometrist who I am very happy with - as an
optometrist - but her frames were very expensive ($160 for some decent
ones.)

Costco had very similar frames for only $40 or so. The lenses weren't very
much either.

I've been wearing them for about a year now and have been very happy with
them - just as happy as the pair I had gotten completely through the
optometrist.

Linda M. Young
July 15th 03, 06:32 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:48:04 GMT, > wrote:

> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
>10,000 thanks,

Try Sears Optical if they have the $99 glasses coupon in your paper.
It doesn't actually come out to $99, but it is cheaper than most other
places.

Linda
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
"...What they say, don't believe;
Every hope needs room to breathe.
Show me where it says
I can't keep dreamin'.
Ain't no law that says
I can't keep dreamin'..."
......Rupert Holmes, "Show Me Where It Says"

Linda M. Young
July 15th 03, 06:32 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:48:04 GMT, > wrote:

> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
>10,000 thanks,

Try Sears Optical if they have the $99 glasses coupon in your paper.
It doesn't actually come out to $99, but it is cheaper than most other
places.

Linda
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
"...What they say, don't believe;
Every hope needs room to breathe.
Show me where it says
I can't keep dreamin'.
Ain't no law that says
I can't keep dreamin'..."
......Rupert Holmes, "Show Me Where It Says"

Tsu Dho Poster
July 15th 03, 10:52 PM
"Bear" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > Trifocals.
> > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both
> > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> > 10,000 thanks,
> > --Tock
> >
> www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
> They are in Florida and excellent. I have been dealing with them for many
> years.

That looks like the place our radio consumer-guy (ClarkHoward dot com)
recommends.

He also sez to avoid the chain stores at malls, they have minimum-wage types
grinding the lenses, under "supervison" by an optican. (the optician may not
even be on the premises)

ps: Did you hear of the optician who made a complete spectacle of
himself.......he fell into the grinder.....

Tsu Dho Poster
July 15th 03, 10:52 PM
"Bear" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > Trifocals.
> > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both
> > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> > 10,000 thanks,
> > --Tock
> >
> www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
> They are in Florida and excellent. I have been dealing with them for many
> years.

That looks like the place our radio consumer-guy (ClarkHoward dot com)
recommends.

He also sez to avoid the chain stores at malls, they have minimum-wage types
grinding the lenses, under "supervison" by an optican. (the optician may not
even be on the premises)

ps: Did you hear of the optician who made a complete spectacle of
himself.......he fell into the grinder.....

July 16th 03, 01:40 AM
> > www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
> > They are in Florida and excellent. I have been dealing with them for
many
> > years.

Anyone know anything about www.eyeglasses.com ? They're the only people
I've been able to find that have the frames I want (duplicates of what I've
got now--round, silver, 46-24-165) for $118. Three year warranty on the
frames.
I went to the evil Wal-Mart empire where I got my present round glasses 2
years ago, and they don't have the frames, but can get replacement lenses
for reasonable $$$ (compared to the other places). So I figure I can get
the frames I want on the Internet, give 'em to the evil Wal-Mart empire to
put lenses in, do the frame tweaking. Whatcha'll think?
10,000 Texas-sized thanks to y'all, and to the surprisingly numerous folks
who e-mailed me privately with handy info . . .

July 16th 03, 01:40 AM
> > www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
> > They are in Florida and excellent. I have been dealing with them for
many
> > years.

Anyone know anything about www.eyeglasses.com ? They're the only people
I've been able to find that have the frames I want (duplicates of what I've
got now--round, silver, 46-24-165) for $118. Three year warranty on the
frames.
I went to the evil Wal-Mart empire where I got my present round glasses 2
years ago, and they don't have the frames, but can get replacement lenses
for reasonable $$$ (compared to the other places). So I figure I can get
the frames I want on the Internet, give 'em to the evil Wal-Mart empire to
put lenses in, do the frame tweaking. Whatcha'll think?
10,000 Texas-sized thanks to y'all, and to the surprisingly numerous folks
who e-mailed me privately with handy info . . .

SoCalMike
July 16th 03, 01:44 AM
"David Zeit" > wrote in message
m...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Usually we get what we pay for.

sometimes you get more

SoCalMike
July 16th 03, 01:44 AM
"David Zeit" > wrote in message
m...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Usually we get what we pay for.

sometimes you get more

John Intrepid
July 17th 03, 05:01 PM
Check out www.39dollarGlasses.com
I measured up with thier online guide which lets you print the glasses
to try on. Wearing them now - look ok and rx is fine.

After losing a pair of frameless which cost me $200+ dollars I had a
good look around.

wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]

> Lenscrafters offers 30% discount if you show your AAA card. This usually
> ends up being a better deal than any of the other stores I've found.
>
> I have two pieces of advice:
> Don't fall for their Featherweight (Polycarbonate)/scratch resistant
> coating/UV resistant/polarized/antiglare sales pitch. The Featherweights
> are thinner, but have more optical distortion than the Duralens (plastic
> lens with antiscratch/UV protection factory applied - no need for store
> added "coatings" at an additional cost).
>
> I've never had bi/tri focals, but I can tell you that my glasses for an
> astigmatism give me a lot less trouble I make them mark, the center of
> my pupils on the temporary lenses in the frames I'm buying and take their
> measurements off that rather than use their magic machine to figure out
> the distance between my pupils and then put both eyes off center to one side.

Tracey

> Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> Trifocals.
> Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
> the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
> "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
> cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> 10,000 thanks,
> --Tock

Try walmart (see thread above)

Tracey

> Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> Trifocals.
> Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered from
> the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that said
> "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames and
> cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
> Both places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> 10,000 thanks,
> --Tock

Try walmart (see thread above)

Kathy
July 17th 03, 08:03 PM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> Excellant question. I need to get my eyes exaimed and new glasses too. Was
> wondering if you can go to the eye doctor and get the perscription and
then
> to to a cheapie place to get the glasses. Anyone have any experience with
> places where you can get 2 pair of glasses for $49?

I've been to several and I won't use them any more. It's no bargain when you
have to throw the glasses away, and I wasted at least 4 pairs that I
couldn't stand to wear for a whole week. They'll tell you that your glasses
are guaranteed and you can bring them back for any problem. But if the
prescription isn't ground right they'll take them in back and then tell you
that the guy checked and the glasses are okay. You just need more time to
get used to them. I wore one passable cheap pair for a year, after which my
own optometrist checked them and said they were pretty far off, so you can
only guess how bad the unwearable ones were. I wouldn't waste the money
again.

Lenscrafters is another matter. They're not cheap but they're quick and
good. If anything is wrong they will fix it (really). In the long run that's
cheaper for my difficult prescription. I prefer Lenscrafters to traditional
opticians because they fix glasses free in an hour. The optician at the
optometrist will fix them free in a week, but I can't even drive home
without my glasses, much less go a week without.

Kathy
July 17th 03, 08:03 PM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> Excellant question. I need to get my eyes exaimed and new glasses too. Was
> wondering if you can go to the eye doctor and get the perscription and
then
> to to a cheapie place to get the glasses. Anyone have any experience with
> places where you can get 2 pair of glasses for $49?

I've been to several and I won't use them any more. It's no bargain when you
have to throw the glasses away, and I wasted at least 4 pairs that I
couldn't stand to wear for a whole week. They'll tell you that your glasses
are guaranteed and you can bring them back for any problem. But if the
prescription isn't ground right they'll take them in back and then tell you
that the guy checked and the glasses are okay. You just need more time to
get used to them. I wore one passable cheap pair for a year, after which my
own optometrist checked them and said they were pretty far off, so you can
only guess how bad the unwearable ones were. I wouldn't waste the money
again.

Lenscrafters is another matter. They're not cheap but they're quick and
good. If anything is wrong they will fix it (really). In the long run that's
cheaper for my difficult prescription. I prefer Lenscrafters to traditional
opticians because they fix glasses free in an hour. The optician at the
optometrist will fix them free in a week, but I can't even drive home
without my glasses, much less go a week without.

July 17th 03, 08:38 PM
> > Excellant question. I need to get my eyes exaimed and new glasses too.
Was
> > wondering if you can go to the eye doctor and get the perscription and
> then
> > to to a cheapie place to get the glasses.

Sure, happens every day . . .

> > Anyone have any experience with
> > places where you can get 2 pair of glasses for $49?

I bought some from a cheapie place for $29 once . . . they were as heavy as
if they had made 'em out of cast iron. A few months after I got 'em, I
was cleaning the lenses, and the weld between a lens and the nose thingy
snapped, and it was out of commission. Took it back, and they were gone.
Lucky I had safety glasses (for free) from work, so I wasn't blind . . .
I'd use 'em only if $$$ was a real issue . . .

July 17th 03, 08:38 PM
> > Excellant question. I need to get my eyes exaimed and new glasses too.
Was
> > wondering if you can go to the eye doctor and get the perscription and
> then
> > to to a cheapie place to get the glasses.

Sure, happens every day . . .

> > Anyone have any experience with
> > places where you can get 2 pair of glasses for $49?

I bought some from a cheapie place for $29 once . . . they were as heavy as
if they had made 'em out of cast iron. A few months after I got 'em, I
was cleaning the lenses, and the weld between a lens and the nose thingy
snapped, and it was out of commission. Took it back, and they were gone.
Lucky I had safety glasses (for free) from work, so I wasn't blind . . .
I'd use 'em only if $$$ was a real issue . . .

July 17th 03, 08:45 PM
"lpogoda" > wrote
. . . s n i p . . .
> Maybe you could use a monocle instead. I'd expect it to cost half as
much,
> or less, and it looks particularly dashing when accessorize with an
eyepatch
> (on the other eye) and a pipe.

I did consider pince-nez, figured it ought to be cheaper 'cause they don't
have the things that go over the ears. But, they're way more expensive . .
..

> The other alternative that comes to mind is corrective surgery. It's more
> expensive than a $400 pair of glasses, but depending on how often you need
> new pair, it might work out cheaper in the long run.

I asked the optomotrist about that . . . he said he recommends surgery only
for folks who are frustrated with glasses and contacts. Sez after10, 15, 20
years, the surgery will likely have to be re-done, and there's a slim chance
of unpleasant problems.
I kinda like my round trifocals, gives me a reason to look down my nose at
people when I'm so inclined.
--Tock

July 17th 03, 08:45 PM
"lpogoda" > wrote
. . . s n i p . . .
> Maybe you could use a monocle instead. I'd expect it to cost half as
much,
> or less, and it looks particularly dashing when accessorize with an
eyepatch
> (on the other eye) and a pipe.

I did consider pince-nez, figured it ought to be cheaper 'cause they don't
have the things that go over the ears. But, they're way more expensive . .
..

> The other alternative that comes to mind is corrective surgery. It's more
> expensive than a $400 pair of glasses, but depending on how often you need
> new pair, it might work out cheaper in the long run.

I asked the optomotrist about that . . . he said he recommends surgery only
for folks who are frustrated with glasses and contacts. Sez after10, 15, 20
years, the surgery will likely have to be re-done, and there's a slim chance
of unpleasant problems.
I kinda like my round trifocals, gives me a reason to look down my nose at
people when I'm so inclined.
--Tock

SJF
July 17th 03, 09:41 PM
"lpogoda" > wrote in message

But if you wear glasses already and
> like the frames you have, you can re-use the frames with the new
> prescription - I've done that a couple of times. That way, you only have
> pay for the lenses themselves, not another frame.
======================
If you try to do this at Lenscrafters, be aware that they will likely find a
reason the frames are unacceptable. I have had this experience twice
although the frames were purchased from them somewhat earlier. The last
time, the only excuse offered was that the frames were over two years old
(they keep a record). Just after cataract surgery, I felt that I needed the
one-hour service and accepted their requirement. Now I have two identical,
well liked, frames. So, next time I can shop around and it won't matter if
it takes a week to get the new lenses ground and installed.

Interestingly, in prior years when I used optometrists who provided the
frames and lenses, the plastic frames were refitted with new lenses many
times but the existing lenses were never found to be satisfactory. Now that
my wife and I use non-dispensing ophthalmologists for diagnoses, the old
prescription is usually found to be satisfactory.

It seems quite obvious that cosmetic considerations are a very large part of
the buyer's needs, and the pricing is structured to take advantage of that
fact. Vanity is expensive!

SJF

SJF
July 17th 03, 09:41 PM
"lpogoda" > wrote in message

But if you wear glasses already and
> like the frames you have, you can re-use the frames with the new
> prescription - I've done that a couple of times. That way, you only have
> pay for the lenses themselves, not another frame.
======================
If you try to do this at Lenscrafters, be aware that they will likely find a
reason the frames are unacceptable. I have had this experience twice
although the frames were purchased from them somewhat earlier. The last
time, the only excuse offered was that the frames were over two years old
(they keep a record). Just after cataract surgery, I felt that I needed the
one-hour service and accepted their requirement. Now I have two identical,
well liked, frames. So, next time I can shop around and it won't matter if
it takes a week to get the new lenses ground and installed.

Interestingly, in prior years when I used optometrists who provided the
frames and lenses, the plastic frames were refitted with new lenses many
times but the existing lenses were never found to be satisfactory. Now that
my wife and I use non-dispensing ophthalmologists for diagnoses, the old
prescription is usually found to be satisfactory.

It seems quite obvious that cosmetic considerations are a very large part of
the buyer's needs, and the pricing is structured to take advantage of that
fact. Vanity is expensive!

SJF

The Real Bev

> "lpogoda" > wrote
> . . . s n i p . . .
> > Maybe you could use a monocle instead. I'd expect it to cost half as
> much,
> > or less, and it looks particularly dashing when accessorize with an
> eyepatch
> > (on the other eye) and a pipe.
>
> I did consider pince-nez, figured it ought to be cheaper 'cause they don't
> have the things that go over the ears. But, they're way more expensive . .
> .
> > The other alternative that comes to mind is corrective surgery. It's more
> > expensive than a $400 pair of glasses, but depending on how often you need
> > a new pair, it might work out cheaper in the long run.
>
> I asked the optomotrist about that . . . he said he recommends surgery only
> for folks who are frustrated with glasses and contacts. Sez after10, 15, 20
> years, the surgery will likely have to be re-done, and there's a slim chance
> of unpleasant problems.
> I kinda like my round trifocals, gives me a reason to look down my nose at
> people when I'm so inclined.
> --Tock

If you're seriously interested in lasik, read sci.med.vision and
alt.lasik-eyes for a while. They'll admit to MAYBE 5% unhappy customers.
Lots of problems with glare from headlights at night, making driving
impossible, and in some cases your vision can't be corrected back to what
it was (with glasses) before the surgery, even if you wear glasses. I'm
really hard to fit with contacts, but I wouldn't EVER consider lasik.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

> "lpogoda" > wrote
> . . . s n i p . . .
> > Maybe you could use a monocle instead. I'd expect it to cost half as
> much,
> > or less, and it looks particularly dashing when accessorize with an
> eyepatch
> > (on the other eye) and a pipe.
>
> I did consider pince-nez, figured it ought to be cheaper 'cause they don't
> have the things that go over the ears. But, they're way more expensive . .
> .
> > The other alternative that comes to mind is corrective surgery. It's more
> > expensive than a $400 pair of glasses, but depending on how often you need
> > a new pair, it might work out cheaper in the long run.
>
> I asked the optomotrist about that . . . he said he recommends surgery only
> for folks who are frustrated with glasses and contacts. Sez after10, 15, 20
> years, the surgery will likely have to be re-done, and there's a slim chance
> of unpleasant problems.
> I kinda like my round trifocals, gives me a reason to look down my nose at
> people when I'm so inclined.
> --Tock

If you're seriously interested in lasik, read sci.med.vision and
alt.lasik-eyes for a while. They'll admit to MAYBE 5% unhappy customers.
Lots of problems with glare from headlights at night, making driving
impossible, and in some cases your vision can't be corrected back to what
it was (with glasses) before the surgery, even if you wear glasses. I'm
really hard to fit with contacts, but I wouldn't EVER consider lasik.

--
Cheers,
Bev
*Are you *sure* there's a hyphen in "anal-retentive?"*

lpogoda
July 18th 03, 02:57 AM
SJF wrote in message ...

>"lpogoda" > wrote in message
>>
>But if you wear glasses already and
>> like the frames you have, you can re-use the frames with the new
>> prescription - I've done that a couple of times. That way, you only have
>> pay for the lenses themselves, not another frame.
[[snipped]]>
>It seems quite obvious that cosmetic considerations are a very large part
of
>the buyer's needs, and the pricing is structured to take advantage of that
>fact. Vanity is expensive!

"Cosmetic" considerations are a big one for me - the way my bridge is
formed, most glasses sit so high I end up looking out from under the
lenses - maybe useful if I held a book or a newspaper above my head to read,
but a computer monitor gets heavy real fast - and anyway it looks real
stupid.

So after an hour or two of trying everything on in the store, and then doing
it again someplace else next weekend, I end up reusing the same frames.
They look OK, but I'm getting tired of them, and would like a change.

lpogoda
July 18th 03, 02:57 AM
SJF wrote in message ...

>"lpogoda" > wrote in message
>>
>But if you wear glasses already and
>> like the frames you have, you can re-use the frames with the new
>> prescription - I've done that a couple of times. That way, you only have
>> pay for the lenses themselves, not another frame.
[[snipped]]>
>It seems quite obvious that cosmetic considerations are a very large part
of
>the buyer's needs, and the pricing is structured to take advantage of that
>fact. Vanity is expensive!

"Cosmetic" considerations are a big one for me - the way my bridge is
formed, most glasses sit so high I end up looking out from under the
lenses - maybe useful if I held a book or a newspaper above my head to read,
but a computer monitor gets heavy real fast - and anyway it looks real
stupid.

So after an hour or two of trying everything on in the store, and then doing
it again someplace else next weekend, I end up reusing the same frames.
They look OK, but I'm getting tired of them, and would like a change.

Tracey
July 18th 03, 04:46 AM
Chloe wrote:

> One word of warning: I fell for the sales pitch once for the
> non-reflective coating that supposedly makes night vision better for us
> middle-aged folks. They didn't bother to tell me the coating scratches
> extremely easily. Because I didn't always use a very soft cleaning cloth
> reserved only for my glasses, I ended up with so many scratches I had to
> get rid of those lenses sooner than I would have otherwise. I don't get
> the coating anymore and I haven't missed it that much.

I made the same mistake once, and had the same results: scratched up lenses
that I could hardly see out of. I've never gotten the anti-reflective
coating again.

Tracey
July 18th 03, 04:46 AM
Chloe wrote:

> One word of warning: I fell for the sales pitch once for the
> non-reflective coating that supposedly makes night vision better for us
> middle-aged folks. They didn't bother to tell me the coating scratches
> extremely easily. Because I didn't always use a very soft cleaning cloth
> reserved only for my glasses, I ended up with so many scratches I had to
> get rid of those lenses sooner than I would have otherwise. I don't get
> the coating anymore and I haven't missed it that much.

I made the same mistake once, and had the same results: scratched up lenses
that I could hardly see out of. I've never gotten the anti-reflective
coating again.

Mogie
July 18th 03, 07:20 PM
Excellant question. I need to get my eyes exaimed and new glasses too. Was
wondering if you can go to the eye doctor and get the perscription and then
to to a cheapie place to get the glasses. Anyone have any experience with
places where you can get 2 pair of glasses for $49?

John Intrepid > wrote in message
om...
> Check out www.39dollarGlasses.com
> I measured up with thier online guide which lets you print the glasses
> to try on. Wearing them now - look ok and rx is fine.
>
> After losing a pair of frameless which cost me $200+ dollars I had a
> good look around.
>

> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > wrote:
> > > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > > Trifocals.
> > > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
Both
> > > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > Lenscrafters offers 30% discount if you show your AAA card. This
usually
> > ends up being a better deal than any of the other stores I've found.
> >
> > I have two pieces of advice:
> > Don't fall for their Featherweight (Polycarbonate)/scratch resistant
> > coating/UV resistant/polarized/antiglare sales pitch. The
Featherweights
> > are thinner, but have more optical distortion than the Duralens (plastic
> > lens with antiscratch/UV protection factory applied - no need for store
> > added "coatings" at an additional cost).
> >
> > I've never had bi/tri focals, but I can tell you that my glasses for an
> > astigmatism give me a lot less trouble I make them mark, the center of
> > my pupils on the temporary lenses in the frames I'm buying and take
their
> > measurements off that rather than use their magic machine to figure out
> > the distance between my pupils and then put both eyes off center to one
side.

Mogie
July 18th 03, 07:20 PM
Excellant question. I need to get my eyes exaimed and new glasses too. Was
wondering if you can go to the eye doctor and get the perscription and then
to to a cheapie place to get the glasses. Anyone have any experience with
places where you can get 2 pair of glasses for $49?

John Intrepid > wrote in message
om...
> Check out www.39dollarGlasses.com
> I measured up with thier online guide which lets you print the glasses
> to try on. Wearing them now - look ok and rx is fine.
>
> After losing a pair of frameless which cost me $200+ dollars I had a
> good look around.
>

> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > wrote:
> > > Any ideas, maybe somplace online?
> > > I got my eyes examined today, need the dr's prescription filled.
> > > Trifocals.
> > > Stopped by several eyeglass shops in the mall while my eyes recovered
from
> > > the dr's dilation drops . . . two places had big signs out front that
said
> > > "Two Pair for $99!" and it turns out it was two pair of flimsy frames
and
> > > cheap, thick glass with no scratch-resistant treatment or anything.
Both
> > > places told me what I wanted would cost me close to $400 (nondescript
> > > frames, trifocal, lightweight, scratch resistant).
> > > There's gotta be a better alternative . . . anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > Lenscrafters offers 30% discount if you show your AAA card. This
usually
> > ends up being a better deal than any of the other stores I've found.
> >
> > I have two pieces of advice:
> > Don't fall for their Featherweight (Polycarbonate)/scratch resistant
> > coating/UV resistant/polarized/antiglare sales pitch. The
Featherweights
> > are thinner, but have more optical distortion than the Duralens (plastic
> > lens with antiscratch/UV protection factory applied - no need for store
> > added "coatings" at an additional cost).
> >
> > I've never had bi/tri focals, but I can tell you that my glasses for an
> > astigmatism give me a lot less trouble I make them mark, the center of
> > my pupils on the temporary lenses in the frames I'm buying and take
their
> > measurements off that rather than use their magic machine to figure out
> > the distance between my pupils and then put both eyes off center to one
side.

Stephan Mynarkiewicz
July 19th 03, 04:24 AM
"Chloe" > wrote in message

> The thing that was so bad is that they didn't warn me about the scratch
> factor or tell me I needed to treat those lenses differently. In fact I
only
> found out what had happened when I bought the third set of lenses and told
> the salesman how annoyed I was at how easily the second set had scratched.

Even worse, don't even THINK about getting the AR coating if you work around
chemicals either. In addition to the scratched AR coating (rendering my
last pair useless), there's several spots on the lenses that I have no idea
where they came from.

Can the coating be removed cheaply or would it be cheaper to just get the
lenses replaced? They're not a strong prescription (1.00 something), but
I'm not sure if the frame lends itself to having the lenses transplanted
(they're either glued or bonded in place...no screws)

Stephan Mynarkiewicz
July 19th 03, 04:24 AM
"Chloe" > wrote in message

> The thing that was so bad is that they didn't warn me about the scratch
> factor or tell me I needed to treat those lenses differently. In fact I
only
> found out what had happened when I bought the third set of lenses and told
> the salesman how annoyed I was at how easily the second set had scratched.

Even worse, don't even THINK about getting the AR coating if you work around
chemicals either. In addition to the scratched AR coating (rendering my
last pair useless), there's several spots on the lenses that I have no idea
where they came from.

Can the coating be removed cheaply or would it be cheaper to just get the
lenses replaced? They're not a strong prescription (1.00 something), but
I'm not sure if the frame lends itself to having the lenses transplanted
(they're either glued or bonded in place...no screws)

Google