PDA

View Full Version : Under Cabinet Toaster Oven

July 15th 03, 06:12 AM
It appears well known that the Black and Decker small appliance brand has
gone down the drain. We have had their "classic" under cabinet toaster oven
mounted in their under cabinet bracket. And have had them last approx. ten
years. Recent new version is missing broil feature and timer, and cooks
unevenly. Brand new garbage, but too old to return for refund.

Any suggestions experiences with satisfactory under cabinet toaster ovens?

July 16th 03, 12:42 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:12:32 -0700, > wrote:

>It appears well known that the Black and Decker small appliance brand has
>gone down the drain. We have had their "classic" under cabinet toaster oven
>mounted in their under cabinet bracket. And have had them last approx. ten
>years. Recent new version is missing broil feature and timer, and cooks
>unevenly. Brand new garbage, but too old to return for refund.
>
>Any suggestions experiences with satisfactory under cabinet toaster ovens?

Have you checked the "thermal" fuse inside that Black & Decker?

It's very easy to replace, but you might have a little bit of trouble
finding the replacement.

July 16th 03, 12:42 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:12:32 -0700, > wrote:

>It appears well known that the Black and Decker small appliance brand has
>gone down the drain. We have had their "classic" under cabinet toaster oven
>mounted in their under cabinet bracket. And have had them last approx. ten
>years. Recent new version is missing broil feature and timer, and cooks
>unevenly. Brand new garbage, but too old to return for refund.
>
>Any suggestions experiences with satisfactory under cabinet toaster ovens?

Have you checked the "thermal" fuse inside that Black & Decker?

It's very easy to replace, but you might have a little bit of trouble
finding the replacement.

Deadend
July 19th 03, 12:31 AM
> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> It appears well known that the Black and Decker small appliance brand has
> gone down the drain. We have had their "classic" under cabinet toaster oven
> mounted in their under cabinet bracket. And have had them last approx. ten
> years. Recent new version is missing broil feature and timer, and cooks
> unevenly. Brand new garbage, but too old to return for refund.
>
> Any suggestions experiences with satisfactory under cabinet toaster ovens?

I would try consumer reports. I should do the same. Years ago I had
purchased B&D brand which had a former (idiot) roommate let an item
press up against the "feather touch" start switch and pressed it down
and kept it down (a medium sized bowl) which had no kind of failsafe
whatsoever and heated up like the sun in a short period of time and
nearly burned my house down.

I bought some other brand (can't remember) at Costco, and it looked
good, looked solid, had a KNOB instead of a "feather touch" switch,
and so it looke a little safer against accidental catastrophes but the
damned glass door hinge broke and now it falls open and won't stay
closed unless we put this big eathenware jar in front of it to keep it
closed.

I like having toaster ovens, but the next time I will check Consumer
Reports. And I will get sick of this broken door gig soon, and throw
that into the landfill where it will take up more space. F***ing
crappy knock-off junk! Argh!

Regards,

Deadend

Deadend
July 19th 03, 12:31 AM
> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> It appears well known that the Black and Decker small appliance brand has
> gone down the drain. We have had their "classic" under cabinet toaster oven
> mounted in their under cabinet bracket. And have had them last approx. ten
> years. Recent new version is missing broil feature and timer, and cooks
> unevenly. Brand new garbage, but too old to return for refund.
>
> Any suggestions experiences with satisfactory under cabinet toaster ovens?

I would try consumer reports. I should do the same. Years ago I had
purchased B&D brand which had a former (idiot) roommate let an item
press up against the "feather touch" start switch and pressed it down
and kept it down (a medium sized bowl) which had no kind of failsafe
whatsoever and heated up like the sun in a short period of time and
nearly burned my house down.

I bought some other brand (can't remember) at Costco, and it looked
good, looked solid, had a KNOB instead of a "feather touch" switch,
and so it looke a little safer against accidental catastrophes but the
damned glass door hinge broke and now it falls open and won't stay
closed unless we put this big eathenware jar in front of it to keep it
closed.

I like having toaster ovens, but the next time I will check Consumer
Reports. And I will get sick of this broken door gig soon, and throw
that into the landfill where it will take up more space. F***ing
crappy knock-off junk! Argh!

Regards,

Deadend

SoCalMike
July 19th 03, 03:02 AM

> I bought some other brand (can't remember) at Costco, and it looked
> good, looked solid, had a KNOB instead of a "feather touch" switch,
> and so it looke a little safer against accidental catastrophes but the
> damned glass door hinge broke and now it falls open and won't stay

bring it back. worth a shot?

SoCalMike
July 19th 03, 03:02 AM

> I bought some other brand (can't remember) at Costco, and it looked
> good, looked solid, had a KNOB instead of a "feather touch" switch,
> and so it looke a little safer against accidental catastrophes but the
> damned glass door hinge broke and now it falls open and won't stay

bring it back. worth a shot?

Deadend
July 21st 03, 07:39 PM
"SoCalMike" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > I bought some other brand (can't remember) at Costco, and it looked
> > good, looked solid, had a KNOB instead of a "feather touch" switch,
> > and so it looke a little safer against accidental catastrophes but the
> > damned glass door hinge broke and now it falls open and won't stay
>
> bring it back. worth a shot?

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I don't know where the damn
reciept is, and I have the box but not the packaging. They'd likely
just be jerks and say that I must be kidding. Plus, now it has been
like months, if not a year. Procrastination is *definitely* unfrugal,
and a big problem for me at times.

Thanks, though.

Deadend

SoCalMike
July 21st 03, 10:57 PM
"Deadend" > wrote in message
om...
> "SoCalMike" > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > I bought some other brand (can't remember) at Costco, and it looked
> > > good, looked solid, had a KNOB instead of a "feather touch" switch,
> > > and so it looke a little safer against accidental catastrophes but the
> > > damned glass door hinge broke and now it falls open and won't stay
> >
> > bring it back. worth a shot?
>
> Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I don't know where the damn
> reciept is, and I have the box but not the packaging.

theyre usually pretty good about that. better than most places ive been to.

>They'd likely
> just be jerks and say that I must be kidding. Plus, now it has been
> like months, if not a year.

still worth a shot, especially if they still carry it. even if they dont,
they should be able to find the info they need on the box.

>Procrastination is *definitely* unfrugal,
> and a big problem for me at times.
>
> Thanks, though.
>
> Deadend

Google