PDA

View Full Version : efax changes

July 15th 03, 05:56 PM
I have a free efax account that I have used for years. The promo on it was
that it was an ad supported service. I didn't mind the ads and faxed ads, so it
was a good deal for me and I sometimes received as many as thirty or forty
faxes a month.

Within the past few months I've noticed a push from efax to sell fax accounts.
They even showed up on ebay. Seems like the business model at efax has changed
and become more aggressive.

I just got a fax today saying I had gone over the 20 faxes per month limit on
the free fax account and would have to upgrade to an account that cost $13 per
month. With my low usage, that would make each incoming fax page cost about 50
cents.

The only reason I would consider continuing the service is the convenience of
being able to keep the efax emails filed neatly on the computer, never losing a
fax, and the absence of a ringing phone line at night.

Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like winfax. Too
bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted longer than
some of the dotcom goodies.

Sue Larkin
July 16th 03, 08:46 AM
In article >,
wrote:
[...]
:Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like winfax. Too
:bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted longer than
:some of the dotcom goodies.

FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
in any way 'cept as a happy customer!

Aloha...Sue

Sue Larkin
July 16th 03, 08:46 AM
In article >,
wrote:
[...]
:Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like winfax. Too
:bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted longer than
:some of the dotcom goodies.

FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
in any way 'cept as a happy customer!

Aloha...Sue

George
July 16th 03, 02:49 PM
"Sue Larkin" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
> [...]
> :Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like winfax.
Too
> :bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted longer
than
> :some of the dotcom goodies.
>
> FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
> However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
> use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
> a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
> happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
> in any way 'cept as a happy customer!
>
> Aloha...Sue

I agree with with using maxemail and also for another reason. Efax uses a
proprietary graphics format which requires their software to view. So if you
are using another computer and want to see a fax you need to install
software.

Another thing you might do is to encourage people to use email instead of
fax. The first thing I ask when someone says "what is your fax #" is "can
you email it?" From my experience the answer is "yes we can do that" (almost
as if they are happy to not fax something).

George
July 16th 03, 02:49 PM
"Sue Larkin" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
> [...]
> :Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like winfax.
Too
> :bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted longer
than
> :some of the dotcom goodies.
>
> FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
> However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
> use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
> a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
> happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
> in any way 'cept as a happy customer!
>
> Aloha...Sue

I agree with with using maxemail and also for another reason. Efax uses a
proprietary graphics format which requires their software to view. So if you
are using another computer and want to see a fax you need to install
software.

Another thing you might do is to encourage people to use email instead of
fax. The first thing I ask when someone says "what is your fax #" is "can
you email it?" From my experience the answer is "yes we can do that" (almost
as if they are happy to not fax something).

July 16th 03, 04:34 PM
"George" > wrote:

>"Sue Larkin" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>> [...]
>> :Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like winfax.
>Too
>> :bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted longer
>than
>> :some of the dotcom goodies.
>>
>> FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
>> However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
>> use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
>> a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
>> happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
>> in any way 'cept as a happy customer!
>>
>> Aloha...Sue
>
>I agree with with using maxemail and also for another reason. Efax uses a
>proprietary graphics format which requires their software to view. So if you
>are using another computer and want to see a fax you need to install
>software.

Actually, the faxes come as a tiff with non-square pixels. The faxes can be
read if you have a photo or graphics program that reads tiffs and allows
stretching.

>Another thing you might do is to encourage people to use email instead of
>fax. The first thing I ask when someone says "what is your fax #" is "can
>you email it?" From my experience the answer is "yes we can do that" (almost
>as if they are happy to not fax something).

I already do that. Some of my customers just aren't capable of scanning and
sending stuff as an email attachment. I'll look into maxemail as a
possibility.

July 16th 03, 04:34 PM
"George" > wrote:

>"Sue Larkin" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>> [...]
>> :Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like winfax.
>Too
>> :bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted longer
>than
>> :some of the dotcom goodies.
>>
>> FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
>> However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
>> use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
>> a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
>> happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
>> in any way 'cept as a happy customer!
>>
>> Aloha...Sue
>
>I agree with with using maxemail and also for another reason. Efax uses a
>proprietary graphics format which requires their software to view. So if you
>are using another computer and want to see a fax you need to install
>software.

Actually, the faxes come as a tiff with non-square pixels. The faxes can be
read if you have a photo or graphics program that reads tiffs and allows
stretching.

>Another thing you might do is to encourage people to use email instead of
>fax. The first thing I ask when someone says "what is your fax #" is "can
>you email it?" From my experience the answer is "yes we can do that" (almost
>as if they are happy to not fax something).

I already do that. Some of my customers just aren't capable of scanning and
sending stuff as an email attachment. I'll look into maxemail as a
possibility.

George
July 16th 03, 06:50 PM
> wrote in message
> "George" > wrote:
>

> >"Sue Larkin" > wrote in message
> >> In article >,
> >> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> :Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like
winfax.
> >Too
> >> :bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted
longer
> >than
> >> :some of the dotcom goodies.
> >>
> >> FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
> >> However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
> >> use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
> >> a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
> >> happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
> >> in any way 'cept as a happy customer!
> >>
> >> Aloha...Sue
> >
> >I agree with with using maxemail and also for another reason. Efax uses a
> >proprietary graphics format which requires their software to view. So if
you
> >are using another computer and want to see a fax you need to install
> >software.
>
> Actually, the faxes come as a tiff with non-square pixels. The faxes can
be
> read if you have a photo or graphics program that reads tiffs and allows
> stretching.

I didn't realize that. If I run into that problem I will give it a try.
Maxemail sends the fax to you as a tiff.

> >Another thing you might do is to encourage people to use email instead of
> >fax. The first thing I ask when someone says "what is your fax #" is "can
> >you email it?" From my experience the answer is "yes we can do that"
(almost
> >as if they are happy to not fax something).
>
> I already do that. Some of my customers just aren't capable of scanning
and
> sending stuff as an email attachment. I'll look into maxemail as a
> possibility.

I agree that if stuff needs scanning it might not be practical for your
customers. We had a lot of cases where someone would compose something in a
word processor, print it out and then fax it to us.

George
July 16th 03, 06:50 PM
> wrote in message
> "George" > wrote:
>

> >"Sue Larkin" > wrote in message
> >> In article >,
> >> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> :Looks like I'll be going back to hardcopy faxes or something like
winfax.
> >Too
> >> :bad the ad sponsored service didn't pan out. At least it lasted
longer
> >than
> >> :some of the dotcom goodies.
> >>
> >> FWIW...I use an online fax service: maxemail.com
> >> However, I use the paid service (7.95/mo) because of where I live and I
> >> use it for business (think, toll-free number). I believe they also have
> >> a free service. I've used maxemail for approx. 13 months and am very
> >> happy with it. And, the usual disclaimer...I'm not affiliated with them
> >> in any way 'cept as a happy customer!
> >>
> >> Aloha...Sue
> >
> >I agree with with using maxemail and also for another reason. Efax uses a
> >proprietary graphics format which requires their software to view. So if
you
> >are using another computer and want to see a fax you need to install
> >software.
>
> Actually, the faxes come as a tiff with non-square pixels. The faxes can
be
> read if you have a photo or graphics program that reads tiffs and allows
> stretching.

I didn't realize that. If I run into that problem I will give it a try.
Maxemail sends the fax to you as a tiff.

> >Another thing you might do is to encourage people to use email instead of
> >fax. The first thing I ask when someone says "what is your fax #" is "can
> >you email it?" From my experience the answer is "yes we can do that"
(almost
> >as if they are happy to not fax something).
>
> I already do that. Some of my customers just aren't capable of scanning
and
> sending stuff as an email attachment. I'll look into maxemail as a
> possibility.

I agree that if stuff needs scanning it might not be practical for your
customers. We had a lot of cases where someone would compose something in a
word processor, print it out and then fax it to us.

Sue Larkin
July 16th 03, 10:13 PM
In article >, "George"
> wrote:

:I didn't realize that. If I run into that problem I will give it a try.
:Maxemail sends the fax to you as a tiff.

I receive my Maxemail faxes in .pdf format as an email attachment.
However, what I really like about it is that I can also view my faxes
on their web site from any computer. And, they have excellent customer
service/tech support.

Aloha...Sue

Sue Larkin
July 16th 03, 10:13 PM
In article >, "George"
> wrote:

:I didn't realize that. If I run into that problem I will give it a try.
:Maxemail sends the fax to you as a tiff.

I receive my Maxemail faxes in .pdf format as an email attachment.
However, what I really like about it is that I can also view my faxes
on their web site from any computer. And, they have excellent customer
service/tech support.

Aloha...Sue

Google