PDA

View Full Version : ack! what happened to my candy?

Wendy
July 16th 03, 08:02 AM
Any candy makers out there? I had a toffee recipe I've used several
times before go horribly wrong. In the last stages of cooking, butter
started to separate out; the end result, with the butter poured off, is
much softer and granier than toffee. And far too sweet. :-P

I made this exactly the same as always, except used unsalted butter; I
don't see how that could make such a large difference, since the
recipe has salt in it. I'd think something was wrong with my
thermometer, except the mix seemed different to me from the very
start.

--

"The thing about homebodies is that they can usually be found at
home." -- Laurie Colwin, _Home Cooking_

Google