View Full Version : ack! what happened to my candy?

July 16th 03, 08:02 AM
Any candy makers out there? I had a toffee recipe I've used several
times before go horribly wrong. In the last stages of cooking, butter
started to separate out; the end result, with the butter poured off, is
much softer and granier than toffee. And far too sweet. :-P

I made this exactly the same as always, except used unsalted butter; I
don't see how that could make such a large difference, since the
recipe has salt in it. I'd think something was wrong with my
thermometer, except the mix seemed different to me from the very

"The thing about homebodies is that they can usually be found at
home." -- Laurie Colwin, _Home Cooking_