PDA

View Full Version : Re: ***CHEAP*** Certificate/Award Holders?

July 16th 03, 08:31 PM
(Deadend) wrote:

>Hello my frugal bretheren (and sistheren? what is the feminine
>equivalent for "bretheren?" Hell, I'm already OT on my own damn
>post!),
>
>I'm looking for certificate holders and of course I am looking for the
>best quality or the best looking holders I can find, but I want to pay
>as little for them as I can. Here's the criteria:
>
>1) This stype of certificate holder would be made out of card stock or
>some sturdy (80lb?) paper or something.
>
>2) It should have little tabs so I can insert a 8 1/2 x 11"
>certificate into it.

Show a link to an example, please. There are gift certificates, award
certificates, certificates of lunacy, etc. What is the purpose of the holder?

July 16th 03, 11:23 PM
On 16 Jul 2003 11:26:56 -0700, (Deadend)
wrote:

>I'm looking for certificate holders and of course I am looking for the
>best quality or the best looking holders I can find, but I want to pay
>as little for them as I can. Here's the criteria:
>
>1) This stype of certificate holder would be made out of card stock or
>some sturdy (80lb?) paper or something.

>Much thanks, as always,
>
>Deadend

Why not laminate the certificate?

wrote:

>I'm looking for certificate holders and of course I am looking for the
>best quality or the best looking holders I can find, but I want to pay
>as little for them as I can. Here's the criteria:
>
>1) This stype of certificate holder would be made out of card stock or
>some sturdy (80lb?) paper or something.

>Much thanks, as always,
>
>Deadend

Why not laminate the certificate?

Pete Romfh
July 17th 03, 01:30 AM
Deadend wrote:
> Hello my frugal bretheren (and sistheren? what is the
> feminine equivalent for "bretheren?" Hell, I'm already OT
> on my own damn post!),
>
> I'm looking for certificate holders and of course I am
> looking for the best quality or the best looking holders
> I can find, but I want to pay as little for them as I
> can. Here's the criteria:
>
> 1) This stype of certificate holder would be made out of
> card stock or some sturdy (80lb?) paper or something.
>
> 2) It should have little tabs so I can insert a 8 1/2 x
> 11" certificate into it.
>
> 3) I have no problem ordering in quantity, if that would
> help reduce cost. Say, ordering 100-250 at a time is no
> problem.
>
> 4) I am currently buying these things from standard major
> office supply chains, and they seem too damn expensive
> for what they are. They are like $1.25-1.50 each, and we
> buy them ususally in a 5 pack.
>
> 5) I know someone will check in with "make your own" or
> another great frugal homespun sugestion, and if I was
> doing one or two at home, that'd be great, but with the
> time I have available at work, and my needs of 100
> holders every 3 months, making them is not an option.
>
> 6) I have searched to no avail online, finding equivalent
> prices, or even more expensive prices than the damn
> chains.
>
> So, I just KNOW that someone out here in MCFL-land will
> know. So, lay it on me, folks! Wahoo!
>
> Much thanks, as always,
>
> Deadend

Look up Printing Supplies in your yellow pages. A chain that I've found
helpful is Xpedx . They sell both wholesale and retail. They are a warehouse
operation but you can wander around and look for what you need. They've
always been helpful to me.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at Texas dot net

Pete Romfh
July 17th 03, 01:30 AM
Deadend wrote:
> Hello my frugal bretheren (and sistheren? what is the
> feminine equivalent for "bretheren?" Hell, I'm already OT
> on my own damn post!),
>
> I'm looking for certificate holders and of course I am
> looking for the best quality or the best looking holders
> I can find, but I want to pay as little for them as I
> can. Here's the criteria:
>
> 1) This stype of certificate holder would be made out of
> card stock or some sturdy (80lb?) paper or something.
>
> 2) It should have little tabs so I can insert a 8 1/2 x
> 11" certificate into it.
>
> 3) I have no problem ordering in quantity, if that would
> help reduce cost. Say, ordering 100-250 at a time is no
> problem.
>
> 4) I am currently buying these things from standard major
> office supply chains, and they seem too damn expensive
> for what they are. They are like $1.25-1.50 each, and we
> buy them ususally in a 5 pack.
>
> 5) I know someone will check in with "make your own" or
> another great frugal homespun sugestion, and if I was
> doing one or two at home, that'd be great, but with the
> time I have available at work, and my needs of 100
> holders every 3 months, making them is not an option.
>
> 6) I have searched to no avail online, finding equivalent
> prices, or even more expensive prices than the damn
> chains.
>
> So, I just KNOW that someone out here in MCFL-land will
> know. So, lay it on me, folks! Wahoo!
>
> Much thanks, as always,
>
> Deadend

Look up Printing Supplies in your yellow pages. A chain that I've found
helpful is Xpedx . They sell both wholesale and retail. They are a warehouse
operation but you can wander around and look for what you need. They've
always been helpful to me.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at Texas dot net

July 17th 03, 03:35 AM
>Are you sure that the recipients of the
> certificates actually want a holder? I
> used to crank out graduation certificates
> for a course given by my company, and
> I can't imagine that anybody would have
> wanted to actually preserve the damn
> things no matter how nice they looked.

And if I did get a certificate I was proud enough of to display, I'd put
it in a *real* picture frame (doesn't have to be expensive) rather than
a cardboard holder.

Diva

July 17th 03, 03:35 AM
>Are you sure that the recipients of the
> certificates actually want a holder? I
> used to crank out graduation certificates
> for a course given by my company, and
> I can't imagine that anybody would have
> wanted to actually preserve the damn
> things no matter how nice they looked.

And if I did get a certificate I was proud enough of to display, I'd put
it in a *real* picture frame (doesn't have to be expensive) rather than
a cardboard holder.

Diva

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:01 PM
wrote in message >...
> (Deadend) wrote:

> Show a link to an example, please. There are gift certificates, award
> certificates, certificates of lunacy, etc. What is the purpose of the holder?

Hello hchickpea. These are pretty common, as described, but if it
helps, this is a typical example of what we use:

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=MEI29900055BGD

Thanks,

Deadend

Oh yeah, please reply to the group. My e-mail is a dead end.

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:01 PM
wrote in message >...
> (Deadend) wrote:

> Show a link to an example, please. There are gift certificates, award
> certificates, certificates of lunacy, etc. What is the purpose of the holder?

Hello hchickpea. These are pretty common, as described, but if it
helps, this is a typical example of what we use:

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=MEI29900055BGD

Thanks,

Deadend

Oh yeah, please reply to the group. My e-mail is a dead end.

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:02 PM
[email protected] wrote in message >...
> On 16 Jul 2003 11:26:56 -0700, (Deadend)
> wrote:
>

> Why not laminate the certificate?

Because purchasing a laminating machine and supplies would be more
expensive and more time consuming.

Thanks,

Deadend

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:02 PM
[email protected] wrote in message >...
> On 16 Jul 2003 11:26:56 -0700, (Deadend)
> wrote:
>

> Why not laminate the certificate?

Because purchasing a laminating machine and supplies would be more
expensive and more time consuming.

Thanks,

Deadend

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:02 PM
[email protected] wrote in message >...
> On 16 Jul 2003 11:26:56 -0700, (Deadend)
> wrote:
>

> Why not laminate the certificate?

Because purchasing a laminating machine and supplies would be more
expensive and more time consuming.

Thanks,

Deadend

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:02 PM
[email protected] wrote in message >...
> On 16 Jul 2003 11:26:56 -0700, (Deadend)
> wrote:
>

> Why not laminate the certificate?

Because purchasing a laminating machine and supplies would be more
expensive and more time consuming.

Thanks,

Deadend

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:03 PM
"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message >...

> Look up Printing Supplies in your yellow pages. A chain that I've found
> helpful is Xpedx . They sell both wholesale and retail. They are a warehouse
> operation but you can wander around and look for what you need. They've
> always been helpful to me.

OK, I'll check that one out, thanks.

Deadend

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:03 PM
"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message >...

> Look up Printing Supplies in your yellow pages. A chain that I've found
> helpful is Xpedx . They sell both wholesale and retail. They are a warehouse
> operation but you can wander around and look for what you need. They've
> always been helpful to me.

OK, I'll check that one out, thanks.

Deadend

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:09 PM
wrote in message >...

> And if I did get a certificate I was proud enough of to display, I'd put
> it in a *real* picture frame (doesn't have to be expensive) rather than
> a cardboard holder.
>
> Diva

Some do actually frame their certificates. I am a program manager, and
among many, many other things, I run a variety of vocational training
programs across a wide geographic area. People come to the programs
and work hard to get a certificate and it means a lot to them. Not
everyone gets one. Some folks don't complete the required
fundamentals, and they are thanked for their participation. So the
folks that do get the certificate seem to appreciate them. We have a
variety of employers that like to hire our grauates, so people hold
onto these certificates and seem to value them.

Regards,

Deadend

Deadend
July 17th 03, 10:09 PM
wrote in message >...

> And if I did get a certificate I was proud enough of to display, I'd put
> it in a *real* picture frame (doesn't have to be expensive) rather than
> a cardboard holder.
>
> Diva

Some do actually frame their certificates. I am a program manager, and
among many, many other things, I run a variety of vocational training
programs across a wide geographic area. People come to the programs
and work hard to get a certificate and it means a lot to them. Not
everyone gets one. Some folks don't complete the required
fundamentals, and they are thanked for their participation. So the
folks that do get the certificate seem to appreciate them. We have a
variety of employers that like to hire our grauates, so people hold
onto these certificates and seem to value them.

Regards,

Deadend

The Real Bev
July 17th 03, 11:23 PM
Deadend wrote:

> The Real Bev > wrote in message >...
>
> > Are you sure that the recipients of the certificates actually want a
> > holder? I used to crank out graduation certificates for a course given by
> > my company, and I can't imagine that anybody would have wanted to actually
> > preserve the damn things no matter how nice they looked.
>
> Yes I know they want a holder, and I want to present it to them in a
> professional way. But thanks for your cynical filter, Bev. But folks
> seem to want to keep these certificates. They have even called and
> asked for replacements when they have lost thier original, to my
> surprise.

My cynicism is probably caused by the nature of the program I was involved
with -- a total waste of time and money from beginning to end, unless you
believe that both the presidents of small companies and non-English-fluent
assemblers can profit from "learning" statistical process control. But
hey, who cares? After all, the state's paying for it...

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 17th 03, 11:23 PM
Deadend wrote:

> The Real Bev > wrote in message >...
>
> > Are you sure that the recipients of the certificates actually want a
> > holder? I used to crank out graduation certificates for a course given by
> > my company, and I can't imagine that anybody would have wanted to actually
> > preserve the damn things no matter how nice they looked.
>
> Yes I know they want a holder, and I want to present it to them in a
> professional way. But thanks for your cynical filter, Bev. But folks
> seem to want to keep these certificates. They have even called and
> asked for replacements when they have lost thier original, to my
> surprise.

My cynicism is probably caused by the nature of the program I was involved
with -- a total waste of time and money from beginning to end, unless you
believe that both the presidents of small companies and non-English-fluent
assemblers can profit from "learning" statistical process control. But
hey, who cares? After all, the state's paying for it...

--
Cheers,
Bev
*Are you *sure* there's a hyphen in "anal-retentive?"*

July 18th 03, 12:16 AM
>Yes I know they want a holder, and I
> want to present it to them in a
> professional way.

What about presenting them as many diplomas are given out, neatly rolled
up and tied with a piece of ribbon?

Diva

July 18th 03, 12:16 AM
>Yes I know they want a holder, and I
> want to present it to them in a
> professional way.

What about presenting them as many diplomas are given out, neatly rolled
up and tied with a piece of ribbon?

Diva

Google