PDA

View Full Version : Re: Shopping for a new computer...HELP

Albert Wagner
July 16th 03, 07:43 PM
If you have been on Apple, then you are going to be real disappointed
with PCs. If money is not a problem why not just buy a new monitor or a
new Apple?

TomTom
July 17th 03, 03:26 AM
For what you are doing there is no reason you need to spend extra money on
an Apple, because it will cost you more than a PC.

I can put together a brand new PC for $600 with everything I need and
nothing I don't and all quality components.

If you're going to buy a pre-built PC, Dell is the way to go, Gateway is ok
but should be 2nd choice.

Don't go with a Celeron processor as someone posted the link for. Go with
the Pentium 4 upgrade. The free upgrade to 15" LCD monitor ends today
unfortunately.

What are you confused about specifically?

As far as drivers go, check with the MFG website to see if they have XP
drivers available.

Scanners are VERY cheap, you could buy a $49 USB scanner and it will scan
much quicker and with better quality than your UMAX can. Donate the UMAX to
a school or something, this is what I do with all computer parts I no longer
need. I actually donate them to a teacher who builds computers for his less
fortunate students.

-Tom

"Patricia" > wrote in message
> I have been looking around on the net, reading "Consumers" and talking to
> friends. I am as confused as I have ever been on which is the best way to
> go.
>
> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.
>
> My scanner UMAX 1200 S Ultra.. is 5 years old. It works but there are no
> drivers available if I upgrade to Mac OSX, ditto with the printer Epson
800
> color.
>
> If I go PC...same thing, I guess. I haven't checked if there are drivers
> available for XP.
>
> Money is not a huge factor...but I don't want too little muscle or more
than
> I need to do Email, accounting program, photographs and word processing.
>
> The more I read the more confused I become.
>
> Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
> buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and
appreciated.

> I do know I want a LCD monitor. (G)
>
> Thank you..
> Patricia

Sue Larkin
July 17th 03, 03:34 AM
In article >, Patricia
> wrote:
[...]
:I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
:moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
:about PC's.
[...]
:Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
:buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.

A possibility is to look for a new or refurbished, slightly older Mac
model that has both OS 9.x and X installed. I know someone who
purchased one (new, not refurbished) less than 2 months ago.

Aloha...Sue

Sue Larkin
July 17th 03, 03:34 AM
In article >, Patricia
> wrote:
[...]
:I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
:moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
:about PC's.
[...]
:Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
:buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.

A possibility is to look for a new or refurbished, slightly older Mac
model that has both OS 9.x and X installed. I know someone who
purchased one (new, not refurbished) less than 2 months ago.

Aloha...Sue

Me
July 17th 03, 04:03 AM
In article >,
Patricia > wrote:

> I have been looking around on the net, reading "Consumers" and talking to
> friends. I am as confused as I have ever been on which is the best way to
> go.
>
> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.

Why not replace the monitor and keep your computer? You can get a decent
Mac compatible monitor for under $200.

Me
July 17th 03, 04:03 AM
In article >,
Patricia > wrote:

> I have been looking around on the net, reading "Consumers" and talking to
> friends. I am as confused as I have ever been on which is the best way to
> go.
>
> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.

Why not replace the monitor and keep your computer? You can get a decent
Mac compatible monitor for under $200.

Patricia
July 17th 03, 01:36 PM
Thank you ...all.

It was a great help hearing your suggestions on possible solutions to my
problem. My appreciation to all those who responded.

I will be off line for a while...I must give the loaner back this afternoon
so it's of some importance for me to do something today.

Patricia
In pursuit of a solution...(G)

Patricia
July 17th 03, 01:36 PM
Thank you ...all.

It was a great help hearing your suggestions on possible solutions to my
problem. My appreciation to all those who responded.

I will be off line for a while...I must give the loaner back this afternoon
so it's of some importance for me to do something today.

Patricia
In pursuit of a solution...(G)

MacTech
July 17th 03, 02:23 PM
I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.
>
> My scanner UMAX 1200 S Ultra.. is 5 years old. It works but there are no
> drivers available if I upgrade to Mac OSX, ditto with the printer Epson 800
> color.
>
> If I go PC...same thing, I guess. I haven't checked if there are drivers
> available for XP.
>
> Money is not a huge factor...but I don't want too little muscle or more than
> I need to do Email, accounting program, photographs and word processing.
>
> The more I read the more confused I become.
>
> Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
> buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.
>
> I do know I want a LCD monitor. (G)
>
> Thank you..
> Patricia

Patricia:

Check this out: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/

It's the new iMac - great computer, good price.

I've had Macs since 1983 but have to use PC's at work, you couldn't
pay me to have a PC at home. They have way too many problems.

Don't worry about your scanner - as someone else suggested, get a new
one and donate the old.

Randy

http://ruralroute2.com

MacTech
July 17th 03, 02:23 PM
I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.
>
> My scanner UMAX 1200 S Ultra.. is 5 years old. It works but there are no
> drivers available if I upgrade to Mac OSX, ditto with the printer Epson 800
> color.
>
> If I go PC...same thing, I guess. I haven't checked if there are drivers
> available for XP.
>
> Money is not a huge factor...but I don't want too little muscle or more than
> I need to do Email, accounting program, photographs and word processing.
>
> The more I read the more confused I become.
>
> Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
> buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.
>
> I do know I want a LCD monitor. (G)
>
> Thank you..
> Patricia

Patricia:

Check this out: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/

It's the new iMac - great computer, good price.

I've had Macs since 1983 but have to use PC's at work, you couldn't
pay me to have a PC at home. They have way too many problems.

Don't worry about your scanner - as someone else suggested, get a new
one and donate the old.

Randy

http://ruralroute2.com

Mieko
July 17th 03, 06:28 PM
In article >, (Michael Black) wrote:
>Patricia ) writes:
>>
>> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
>> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
>> about PC's.
>>
>The only way this makes sense is if this is one of those Macs that have
>the monitor built in. If the monitor is external, there's no way in the
>world that you need to buy anything but a new monitor.

Get a new monitor, a new scanner, and a new printer, and upgrade to OSX. Your
scanner and printer need to be upgraded anyways, the newer ones are SO much
better now. Don't bother with a new machine if you've got a good G3, it's
probably a great machine.

If this will last you a few more years, the G5 will have dropped in price, and
you can just replace the machine, and keep the monitor, printer and scanner.

Here's a great monitor. :)
http://www.apple.com/displays/asd17/

Mieko
July 17th 03, 06:28 PM
In article >, (Michael Black) wrote:
>Patricia ) writes:
>>
>> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
>> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
>> about PC's.
>>
>The only way this makes sense is if this is one of those Macs that have
>the monitor built in. If the monitor is external, there's no way in the
>world that you need to buy anything but a new monitor.

Get a new monitor, a new scanner, and a new printer, and upgrade to OSX. Your
scanner and printer need to be upgraded anyways, the newer ones are SO much
better now. Don't bother with a new machine if you've got a good G3, it's
probably a great machine.

If this will last you a few more years, the G5 will have dropped in price, and
you can just replace the machine, and keep the monitor, printer and scanner.

Here's a great monitor. :)
http://www.apple.com/displays/asd17/

Dorot29701
July 17th 03, 11:40 PM
I can recommend Dell. You can customize your computer - just get the things
you really want. And if you are not in a big hurry, you can wait and watch for
specials like free shipping which is a big savings...and other specials like CD
burners. I've never had an Apple but know the software for PCs is cheaper.

Dorothy

Dorot29701
July 17th 03, 11:40 PM
I can recommend Dell. You can customize your computer - just get the things
you really want. And if you are not in a big hurry, you can wait and watch for
specials like free shipping which is a big savings...and other specials like CD
burners. I've never had an Apple but know the software for PCs is cheaper.

Dorothy

Patricia
July 18th 03, 12:26 AM
Thanks, Dorothy...

I'm shopping around. Did lots of time on the internet today just learning
all the new things that are being offered.

I hear Dell is a very good brand.

Patricia
--------

> From: (Dorot29701)
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: 17 Jul 2003 21:40:59 GMT
> Subject: Re: Shopping for a new computer...HELP
>
> I can recommend Dell. You can customize your computer - just get the things
> you really want. And if you are not in a big hurry, you can wait and watch
> for
> specials like free shipping which is a big savings...and other specials like
> CD
> burners. I've never had an Apple but know the software for PCs is cheaper.
>
> Dorothy

Patricia
July 18th 03, 12:26 AM
Thanks, Dorothy...

I'm shopping around. Did lots of time on the internet today just learning
all the new things that are being offered.

I hear Dell is a very good brand.

Patricia
--------

> From: (Dorot29701)
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: 17 Jul 2003 21:40:59 GMT
> Subject: Re: Shopping for a new computer...HELP
>
> I can recommend Dell. You can customize your computer - just get the things
> you really want. And if you are not in a big hurry, you can wait and watch
> for
> specials like free shipping which is a big savings...and other specials like
> CD
> burners. I've never had an Apple but know the software for PCs is cheaper.
>
> Dorothy

Dave Bonar
July 18th 03, 02:27 AM
Mieko > wrote:

> Get a new monitor, a new scanner, and a new printer, and upgrade to OSX. Your
> scanner and printer need to be upgraded anyways, the newer ones are SO much
> better now. Don't bother with a new machine if you've got a good G3, it's
> probably a great machine.
>
> If this will last you a few more years, the G5 will have dropped in price, and
> you can just replace the machine, and keep the monitor, printer and scanner.

I don't understand your logic. You say to ditch the old scanner and
printer (even though they currently work fine) and buy new
replacements. Yet in a "few more years" you expect the original poster
to be able to completely change computers (almost certainly changing
operating systems and very possibly changing tye types of available
connections) without having to change printer or scanner.

My own personal feeling is that ink jet printers haven't advanced much
in years unless you are really interested in printing digital photos.
Scanners though have improved. I'd buy a new one unless you settle on
just buying a new monitor.

Dave

Dave Bonar
July 18th 03, 02:27 AM
Mieko > wrote:

> Get a new monitor, a new scanner, and a new printer, and upgrade to OSX. Your
> scanner and printer need to be upgraded anyways, the newer ones are SO much
> better now. Don't bother with a new machine if you've got a good G3, it's
> probably a great machine.
>
> If this will last you a few more years, the G5 will have dropped in price, and
> you can just replace the machine, and keep the monitor, printer and scanner.

I don't understand your logic. You say to ditch the old scanner and
printer (even though they currently work fine) and buy new
replacements. Yet in a "few more years" you expect the original poster
to be able to completely change computers (almost certainly changing
operating systems and very possibly changing tye types of available
connections) without having to change printer or scanner.

My own personal feeling is that ink jet printers haven't advanced much
in years unless you are really interested in printing digital photos.
Scanners though have improved. I'd buy a new one unless you settle on
just buying a new monitor.

Dave

Duran
July 18th 03, 05:24 AM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message

> If you have been on Apple, then you are going to be real disappointed
> with PCs.

She won't be disappointed with the price difference, that's for sure.

Duran
July 18th 03, 05:24 AM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message

> If you have been on Apple, then you are going to be real disappointed
> with PCs.

She won't be disappointed with the price difference, that's for sure.

Karen Wheless
July 18th 03, 07:25 AM
> It's the new iMac - great computer, good price.

You should also consider the emac. I just read an article comparing the
two in Mac Addict and except for the size, they liked the emac better.
I think it's a little bit cheaper than the iMac.

However, with a G3, there's no reason not to just buy a new monitor.
They're very cheap and you can use a standard PC monitor - you just need
an adapter. I always upgrade my computer in parts. I just upgraded my
monitor - the next thing will be a printer, then maybe in a couple of
years, a new computer.

I would stick with the Mac. I'm biased, but I use a PC at work and the
more I use it, the more I appreciate my Mac. The only two benefits to
the PC are cheap prices and compatibility with business applications. I
don't think it's worth buying a computer just because it's cheap,
especially if you're used to using a Mac.

Upgrading to X is the way of the future, but check to see how much it
will cost to upgrade your software. I have reluctantly decided against
X for now since I have several important applications that are not X
compatible, and it will probably cost quite a lot to upgrade the rest.
But staying with 9 will become more and more difficult.

There are some generic drivers that work with printers and scanners that
aren't X compatible. I haven't done a lot of research on this, but
don't give up on them just yet. Check out the comp.sys.mac.* newsgroups
and you may find a way to keep them going for a while even if you
upgrade to X.

Karen

Karen Wheless
July 18th 03, 07:25 AM
> It's the new iMac - great computer, good price.

You should also consider the emac. I just read an article comparing the
two in Mac Addict and except for the size, they liked the emac better.
I think it's a little bit cheaper than the iMac.

However, with a G3, there's no reason not to just buy a new monitor.
They're very cheap and you can use a standard PC monitor - you just need
an adapter. I always upgrade my computer in parts. I just upgraded my
monitor - the next thing will be a printer, then maybe in a couple of
years, a new computer.

I would stick with the Mac. I'm biased, but I use a PC at work and the
more I use it, the more I appreciate my Mac. The only two benefits to
the PC are cheap prices and compatibility with business applications. I
don't think it's worth buying a computer just because it's cheap,
especially if you're used to using a Mac.

Upgrading to X is the way of the future, but check to see how much it
will cost to upgrade your software. I have reluctantly decided against
X for now since I have several important applications that are not X
compatible, and it will probably cost quite a lot to upgrade the rest.
But staying with 9 will become more and more difficult.

There are some generic drivers that work with printers and scanners that
aren't X compatible. I haven't done a lot of research on this, but
don't give up on them just yet. Check out the comp.sys.mac.* newsgroups
and you may find a way to keep them going for a while even if you
upgrade to X.

Karen

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:48 PM
Hi, Tom...
> From: "TomTom" >
>
> For what you are doing there is no reason you need to spend extra money on
> an Apple, because it will cost you more than a PC.

You're right. it will cost more. This is my second Mac in 10 years and I am
happy with what I can do with it...I have never had to take it in to be
"straightened out" as many of my friends have with their PC's and I'm a
little reticent to change.

I know I CAN...I use pc's when visiting our children, etc.

> I can put together a brand new PC for $600 with everything I need and
> nothing I don't and all quality components.
>
> If you're going to buy a pre-built PC, Dell is the way to go, Gateway is ok
> but should be 2nd choice.

I have checked out both on the net....

> Don't go with a Celeron processor as someone posted the link for. Go with
> the Pentium 4 upgrade. The free upgrade to 15" LCD monitor ends today
> unfortunately.
>
> What are you confused about specifically?

Well....I am hesitating because of mixed feelings (G). I am weighing the
cost of a new PC outfit against a new Mac outfit....OR just replacing the
monitor (the most frugal way to go). The wild card is my "lust" for a
bigger, speedier, fancier machine. LOL

> As far as drivers go, check with the MFG website to see if they have XP
> drivers available.

I did...no luck with OSX drivers or XP drivers for my scanner and printer.

> Scanners are VERY cheap, you could buy a $49 USB scanner and it will scan
> much quicker and with better quality than your UMAX can. Donate the UMAX to
> a school or something, this is what I do with all computer parts I no longer
> need. I actually donate them to a teacher who builds computers for his less
> fortunate students.
>
> -Tom

Right again ! I had no idea they had come down so much in price. Ditto with
printers.

Again....thanks for all the good information and advice.

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:48 PM
Hi, Tom...
> From: "TomTom" >
>
> For what you are doing there is no reason you need to spend extra money on
> an Apple, because it will cost you more than a PC.

You're right. it will cost more. This is my second Mac in 10 years and I am
happy with what I can do with it...I have never had to take it in to be
"straightened out" as many of my friends have with their PC's and I'm a
little reticent to change.

I know I CAN...I use pc's when visiting our children, etc.

> I can put together a brand new PC for $600 with everything I need and
> nothing I don't and all quality components.
>
> If you're going to buy a pre-built PC, Dell is the way to go, Gateway is ok
> but should be 2nd choice.

I have checked out both on the net....

> Don't go with a Celeron processor as someone posted the link for. Go with
> the Pentium 4 upgrade. The free upgrade to 15" LCD monitor ends today
> unfortunately.
>
> What are you confused about specifically?

Well....I am hesitating because of mixed feelings (G). I am weighing the
cost of a new PC outfit against a new Mac outfit....OR just replacing the
monitor (the most frugal way to go). The wild card is my "lust" for a
bigger, speedier, fancier machine. LOL

> As far as drivers go, check with the MFG website to see if they have XP
> drivers available.

I did...no luck with OSX drivers or XP drivers for my scanner and printer.

> Scanners are VERY cheap, you could buy a $49 USB scanner and it will scan
> much quicker and with better quality than your UMAX can. Donate the UMAX to
> a school or something, this is what I do with all computer parts I no longer
> need. I actually donate them to a teacher who builds computers for his less
> fortunate students.
>
> -Tom

Right again ! I had no idea they had come down so much in price. Ditto with
printers.

Again....thanks for all the good information and advice.

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:55 PM
> From: Me >

> Why not replace the monitor and keep your computer? You can get a decent
> Mac compatible monitor for under $200.

---------

Checked on it.....and this is the most frugal way to go. (G) Monitor was 400
and adapter cable 39.00.

Way less than a whole new outfit..

Patricia
Thanks you

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:55 PM
> From: Me >

> Why not replace the monitor and keep your computer? You can get a decent
> Mac compatible monitor for under $200.

---------

Checked on it.....and this is the most frugal way to go. (G) Monitor was 400
and adapter cable 39.00.

Way less than a whole new outfit..

Patricia
Thanks you

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:56 PM
> From: (MacTech)

> Patricia:
>
> Check this out: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/
>
> It's the new iMac - great computer, good price.
>
> I've had Macs since 1983 but have to use PC's at work, you couldn't
> pay me to have a PC at home. They have way too many problems.
>
> Don't worry about your scanner - as someone else suggested, get a new
> one and donate the old.
>
> Randy
=======

Thanks for taking the time to find that URL. It's helpful to hear what you
all have to say.

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:56 PM

=======

Thanks for taking the time to find that URL. It's helpful to hear what you
all have to say.

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:58 PM
> From: (Mieko)
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:28:14 GMT
> Subject: Re: Shopping for a new computer...HELP
>
> http://www.apple.com/displays/asd17/

That is nice.... and would do the job. (G)

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 01:58 PM
> From: (Mieko)
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:28:14 GMT
> Subject: Re: Shopping for a new computer...HELP
>
> http://www.apple.com/displays/asd17/

That is nice.... and would do the job. (G)

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:05 PM
> From: Albert Wagner >

> That would, of course, be a good argument for a PC if she could run
> Apple's OS on it. As it is, she doesn't want to learn how to be her own
> sysadmin on Linux. If she buys a PC she will have to run Micro**** OS
> and software. That's where the disappointment comes in.
> -----------

I think that's part of the problem. Whether to be frugal and just buy a new
PC set up or to go the "heart's desire" route and stick with Mac. I have
heard so many people complain about their Pc problems that I'm a little
uneasy with that.

I have heard people say that Mac software is limited.... but I have always
been able to find what ever I needed in the way of a WP program, graphics,
accounting and working with photos. None of them were any more expensive
than the comparable PC items.

No one here is a "gamer" so that's not a factor...

Patricia
Still working the problem....LOL

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:05 PM
> From: Albert Wagner >

> That would, of course, be a good argument for a PC if she could run
> Apple's OS on it. As it is, she doesn't want to learn how to be her own
> sysadmin on Linux. If she buys a PC she will have to run Micro**** OS
> and software. That's where the disappointment comes in.
> -----------

I think that's part of the problem. Whether to be frugal and just buy a new
PC set up or to go the "heart's desire" route and stick with Mac. I have
heard so many people complain about their Pc problems that I'm a little
uneasy with that.

I have heard people say that Mac software is limited.... but I have always
been able to find what ever I needed in the way of a WP program, graphics,
accounting and working with photos. None of them were any more expensive
than the comparable PC items.

No one here is a "gamer" so that's not a factor...

Patricia
Still working the problem....LOL

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:06 PM
> From: (Dorot29701)
> I can recommend Dell. You can customize your computer - just get the things
> you really want. And if you are not in a big hurry, you can wait and watch
> for
> specials like free shipping which is a big savings...and other specials like
> CD
> burners. I've never had an Apple but know the software for PCs is cheaper.
>
> Dorothy
-----
Thanks, Dorothy. I used a Dell at my SIL's house and it is a nice machine.
Hers is attractive to look at, quite fast and was not a problem for me to
use.

Their stock is rising too...

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:06 PM

-----
Thanks, Dorothy. I used a Dell at my SIL's house and it is a nice machine.
Hers is attractive to look at, quite fast and was not a problem for me to
use.

Their stock is rising too...

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:07 PM
> From: (Dave Bonar)
> I don't understand your logic. You say to ditch the old scanner and
> printer (even though they currently work fine) and buy new
> replacements. Yet in a "few more years" you expect the original poster
> to be able to completely change computers (almost certainly changing
> operating systems and very possibly changing tye types of available
> connections) without having to change printer or scanner.
>
> My own personal feeling is that ink jet printers haven't advanced much
> in years unless you are really interested in printing digital photos.
> Scanners though have improved. I'd buy a new one unless you settle on
> just buying a new monitor.
>
> Dave
-----------
The Epson printer works well but leaves something to be desired in printing
photos. It could be me ..

A "photo printer" may be in my future. (G)

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:07 PM

-----------
The Epson printer works well but leaves something to be desired in printing
photos. It could be me ..

A "photo printer" may be in my future. (G)

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:13 PM
> From: (Karen Wheless)
> You should also consider the emac. I just read an article comparing the
> two in Mac Addict and except for the size, they liked the emac better.
> I think it's a little bit cheaper than the iMac.

I found one for 794.00 and that's not bad. In fact my other SIL is in the
market too and that may be just the right machine for her. I will show it to
her later today. Thanks.

> However, with a G3, there's no reason not to just buy a new monitor.
> They're very cheap and you can use a standard PC monitor - you just need
> an adapter. I always upgrade my computer in parts. I just upgraded my
> monitor - the next thing will be a printer, then maybe in a couple of
> years, a new computer.

Another way to go and in the long run, the most practical from a financial
standpoint.

> I would stick with the Mac. I'm biased, but I use a PC at work and the
> more I use it, the more I appreciate my Mac. The only two benefits to
> the PC are cheap prices and compatibility with business applications. I
> don't think it's worth buying a computer just because it's cheap,
> especially if you're used to using a Mac.

A friend, a Mac fan, says "One you go Mac, you never go back".....LOL

> Upgrading to X is the way of the future, but check to see how much it
> will cost to upgrade your software. I have reluctantly decided against
> X for now since I have several important applications that are not X
> compatible, and it will probably cost quite a lot to upgrade the rest.
> But staying with 9 will become more and more difficult.

No specific drivers available for the printer and scanner if I up grade to
X.

> There are some generic drivers that work with printers and scanners that
> aren't X compatible. I haven't done a lot of research on this, but
> don't give up on them just yet. Check out the comp.sys.mac.* newsgroups
> and you may find a way to keep them going for a while even if you
> upgrade to X.
>
> Karen

Thanks for the news group idea...I have subscribed.

Best,
Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:13 PM
> From: (Karen Wheless)
> You should also consider the emac. I just read an article comparing the
> two in Mac Addict and except for the size, they liked the emac better.
> I think it's a little bit cheaper than the iMac.

I found one for 794.00 and that's not bad. In fact my other SIL is in the
market too and that may be just the right machine for her. I will show it to
her later today. Thanks.

> However, with a G3, there's no reason not to just buy a new monitor.
> They're very cheap and you can use a standard PC monitor - you just need
> an adapter. I always upgrade my computer in parts. I just upgraded my
> monitor - the next thing will be a printer, then maybe in a couple of
> years, a new computer.

Another way to go and in the long run, the most practical from a financial
standpoint.

> I would stick with the Mac. I'm biased, but I use a PC at work and the
> more I use it, the more I appreciate my Mac. The only two benefits to
> the PC are cheap prices and compatibility with business applications. I
> don't think it's worth buying a computer just because it's cheap,
> especially if you're used to using a Mac.

A friend, a Mac fan, says "One you go Mac, you never go back".....LOL

> Upgrading to X is the way of the future, but check to see how much it
> will cost to upgrade your software. I have reluctantly decided against
> X for now since I have several important applications that are not X
> compatible, and it will probably cost quite a lot to upgrade the rest.
> But staying with 9 will become more and more difficult.

No specific drivers available for the printer and scanner if I up grade to
X.

> There are some generic drivers that work with printers and scanners that
> aren't X compatible. I haven't done a lot of research on this, but
> don't give up on them just yet. Check out the comp.sys.mac.* newsgroups
> and you may find a way to keep them going for a while even if you
> upgrade to X.
>
> Karen

Thanks for the news group idea...I have subscribed.

Best,
Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:17 PM
> From: "Joe Agro" <joe @ yunx . com>

>> Their stock is rising too...
>
> What did you say!?! Stock & Rising in the same sentence? Call the press!
> It's a miracle regardless of company. :)

Yes..hard to believe but I saw a chart the other day in our newspaper and it
shows a steady climb.....LOL

One of the few....the rest of my stuff has either fallen like a rock or
stayed stagnent. In desperation with bank interest rates...I bought some big
government bonds over the last few months...they are paying 4% plus and it's
a little better place for temporary storage of minor amounts than in a
savings account.

> Dell makes some good machines. Anyone know if they stopped putting
> proprietary parts in though? Older machines were a problem to fix because
> you couldn't just go out and buy an aftermarket power supply, etc.

Thanks, Joe..

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 02:17 PM
> From: "Joe Agro" <joe @ yunx . com>

>> Their stock is rising too...
>
> What did you say!?! Stock & Rising in the same sentence? Call the press!
> It's a miracle regardless of company. :)

Yes..hard to believe but I saw a chart the other day in our newspaper and it
shows a steady climb.....LOL

One of the few....the rest of my stuff has either fallen like a rock or
stayed stagnent. In desperation with bank interest rates...I bought some big
government bonds over the last few months...they are paying 4% plus and it's
a little better place for temporary storage of minor amounts than in a
savings account.

> Dell makes some good machines. Anyone know if they stopped putting
> proprietary parts in though? Older machines were a problem to fix because
> you couldn't just go out and buy an aftermarket power supply, etc.

Thanks, Joe..

Patricia

Anthony Matonak
July 18th 03, 02:46 PM
Patricia wrote:
> I think that's part of the problem. Whether to be frugal and just buy a new
> PC set up or to go the "heart's desire" route and stick with Mac. I have
> heard so many people complain about their Pc problems that I'm a little
> uneasy with that.

The most frugal is to buy a PC setup without an operating system and
install Linux. All the software most people need is already available
for Linux at zero cost and the newest versions of Linux are as easy
to install, use and configure as any version of Windows or MAC OS.

Anthony

Anthony Matonak
July 18th 03, 02:46 PM
Patricia wrote:
> I think that's part of the problem. Whether to be frugal and just buy a new
> PC set up or to go the "heart's desire" route and stick with Mac. I have
> heard so many people complain about their Pc problems that I'm a little
> uneasy with that.

The most frugal is to buy a PC setup without an operating system and
install Linux. All the software most people need is already available
for Linux at zero cost and the newest versions of Linux are as easy
to install, use and configure as any version of Windows or MAC OS.

Anthony

Patricia
July 18th 03, 03:10 PM
>> I love the way Mac users try to talk smack about Microsoft when Apple
>> can't even build a stable OS on their own, the only way they could do
>> it was to build it on top of UNIX, then they released it too early
>> with way too many bugs and ****ed alot of people off.
===

NOT ME !

I spoke from MY personal experience with Macs only and DID NOT bad mouth
anything.

What ever makes you happy (and isn't against the law) is fine with me.

Don't be so touchy.....

Patricia
Live and let live...

Patricia
July 18th 03, 03:10 PM
>> I love the way Mac users try to talk smack about Microsoft when Apple
>> can't even build a stable OS on their own, the only way they could do
>> it was to build it on top of UNIX, then they released it too early
>> with way too many bugs and ****ed alot of people off.
===

NOT ME !

I spoke from MY personal experience with Macs only and DID NOT bad mouth
anything.

What ever makes you happy (and isn't against the law) is fine with me.

Don't be so touchy.....

Patricia
Live and let live...

July 18th 03, 05:10 PM
"TomTom" > wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
> I love the way Mac users try to talk smack about Microsoft when Apple can't
> even build a stable OS on their own, the only way they could do it was to
> build it on top of UNIX, then they released it too early with way too many
> bugs and ****ed alot of people off.
>
> I work in the web/it dept. of a graphic design firm (for 3 years now).. 8
> macs for the print designers and 4 pc's for the web/it guys. I can't tell
> you how many problems the macs have had, whether it is crashing, locking up,
> poor performance, font problems, extension conflicts, etc.. heh. The ratio
> of lockups alone has to be 100 (mac) to 1 (pc). And everyone wonders why
> work progresses so slowly on the print side. Because the Apples are so
> expensive that the business owners can't justify spending $$$$ on new ones
> so everyone's forced to work on old Apples while I'm building decked out
> 3ghz pentium 4 boxes for less than $800 a pop. I can say without a doubt
> that there is not ONE reason to buy an Apple, unless you're one of those
> quirky Mac loving types who needs to feel special and spend way too much $
> to own one. It's like some kind of disease or addiction that someone needs
> to design a 12 step program for.
>
> I say let Apple have their little insignificant 4% market share, if they can
> con computer users into spending twice the $ for the same hardware then more
> power to them.

Perhaps you don't know how to support Macs. I have a mixed Mac/PC
environment and have fewer problems with the Macs, in fact, virtually
none since OS X came out. I don't even know the names of most of our
Mac users because they seldom need my support. However, I can't list
all the problems we had with W95 and W98, two completely useless OS's,
or do you disagree? I had problems with these OS's that resulted in
reformatting of many HDs, and when you talk about security problems
forget it. I have never had a Mac experience a problem caused by a
virus. Several years ago I spent more than 1/4 of my time repairing
problems caused by viruses on the Win boxes, despite using NAV and
other antivirus programs. It was the only time that I was working
weekends to repair the damage. Of course we replaced all the W95/98 OS
with W2K and NT but even they have security problems, especially for
those who use Outlook. I can easily document maintenance expenses
between the Winboxes and the Macs because I document every problem
that takes more than one hour to resolve. In the past 18 months, I've
had exactly two involving one of our Macs and more than 153 involving
the PCs, mostly having to do with hard OS crashes, and viruses. Cost
wise, most of our Dells are tower systems, not the cheap mini-boxes,
making the Macs competitive on price. Obviously, you just don't like
Macs, but at least stick to facts. I doubt very much you have any
"extension" problems in OS X.

> [...]

problems caused by viruses on the Win boxes, despite using NAV and
other antivirus programs. It was the only time that I was working
weekends to repair the damage. Of course we replaced all the W95/98 OS
with W2K and NT but even they have security problems, especially for
those who use Outlook. I can easily document maintenance expenses
between the Winboxes and the Macs because I document every problem
that takes more than one hour to resolve. In the past 18 months, I've
had exactly two involving one of our Macs and more than 153 involving
the PCs, mostly having to do with hard OS crashes, and viruses. Cost
wise, most of our Dells are tower systems, not the cheap mini-boxes,
making the Macs competitive on price. Obviously, you just don't like
Macs, but at least stick to facts. I doubt very much you have any

July 18th 03, 05:18 PM
> From:
> Perhaps you don't know how to support Macs. I have a mixed Mac/PC
> environment and have fewer problems with the Macs, in fact, virtually
> none since OS X came out. I don't even know the names of most of our
> Mac users because they seldom need my support. However, I can't list
> all the problems we had with W95 and W98, two completely useless OS's,
> or do you disagree? I had problems with these OS's that resulted in
> reformatting of many HDs, and when you talk about security problems
> forget it. I have never had a Mac experience a problem caused by a
> virus. Several years ago I spent more than 1/4 of my time repairing
> problems caused by viruses on the Win boxes, despite using NAV and
> other antivirus programs. It was the only time that I was working
> weekends to repair the damage. Of course we replaced all the W95/98 OS
> with W2K and NT but even they have security problems, especially for
> those who use Outlook. I can easily document maintenance expenses
> between the Winboxes and the Macs because I document every problem
> that takes more than one hour to resolve. In the past 18 months, I've
> had exactly two involving one of our Macs and more than 153 involving
> the PCs, mostly having to do with hard OS crashes, and viruses. Cost
> wise, most of our Dells are tower systems, not the cheap mini-boxes,
> making the Macs competitive on price. Obviously, you just don't like
> Macs, but at least stick to facts. I doubt very much you have any
> "extension" problems in OS X.
=============

Thanks, Fatman...

This is very comforting to read........especially from someone that has had
"hands on" experience with more than one system.

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 05:18 PM
=============

Thanks, Fatman...

This is very comforting to read........especially from someone that has had
"hands on" experience with more than one system.

Patricia

Neil
July 18th 03, 09:12 PM
Patricia > wrote in message >...

If you're comfortable with the Mac and it does everything you need,
then I suggest you stick with it.

I haven't shopped for a scanner or printer for a Mac, but those
peripherals are so cheap now (at least for PCs) that it might make
sense just to buy a new scanner and printer.

> I have been looking around on the net, reading "Consumers"

If you mean Consumer Reports, they are doing ongoing tests of personal
computers both in the magazine and online at:

www.consumerreports.com

>and talking to
> friends. I am as confused as I have ever been on which is the best way to
> go.
>
> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.
>
> My scanner UMAX 1200 S Ultra.. is 5 years old. It works but there are no
> drivers available if I upgrade to Mac OSX, ditto with the printer Epson 800
> color.
>
> If I go PC...same thing, I guess. I haven't checked if there are drivers
> available for XP.
>
> Money is not a huge factor...but I don't want too little muscle or more than
> I need to do Email, accounting program, photographs and word processing.
>
> The more I read the more confused I become.

It sounds to me like you've already got a computer that you know and
that does what you need, you just need a new monitor.

> Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
> buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.
>
> I do know I want a LCD monitor. (G)
>
> Thank you..
> Patricia

Neil
July 18th 03, 09:12 PM
Patricia > wrote in message >...

If you're comfortable with the Mac and it does everything you need,
then I suggest you stick with it.

I haven't shopped for a scanner or printer for a Mac, but those
peripherals are so cheap now (at least for PCs) that it might make
sense just to buy a new scanner and printer.

> I have been looking around on the net, reading "Consumers"

If you mean Consumer Reports, they are doing ongoing tests of personal
computers both in the magazine and online at:

www.consumerreports.com

>and talking to
> friends. I am as confused as I have ever been on which is the best way to
> go.
>
> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.
>
> My scanner UMAX 1200 S Ultra.. is 5 years old. It works but there are no
> drivers available if I upgrade to Mac OSX, ditto with the printer Epson 800
> color.
>
> If I go PC...same thing, I guess. I haven't checked if there are drivers
> available for XP.
>
> Money is not a huge factor...but I don't want too little muscle or more than
> I need to do Email, accounting program, photographs and word processing.
>
> The more I read the more confused I become.

It sounds to me like you've already got a computer that you know and
that does what you need, you just need a new monitor.

> Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
> buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.
>
> I do know I want a LCD monitor. (G)
>
> Thank you..
> Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 10:18 PM
Hi, Neil...

> From: (Neil)
> If you're comfortable with the Mac and it does everything you need,
> then I suggest you stick with it.

I do like it....I am sometimes overwhelmed with the desire for bigger,
faster, fancier.....LOL

It's sort of like the yen for a car and the lovely "new car smell".

> I haven't shopped for a scanner or printer for a Mac, but those
> peripherals are so cheap now (at least for PCs) that it might make
> sense just to buy a new scanner and printer.

It's true..I've been checking and it's easy to buy either for aroun 100.

> If you mean Consumer Reports, they are doing ongoing tests of personal
> computers both in the magazine and online at:
>
> www.consumerreports.com

Thanks, I will check it out.

> It sounds to me like you've already got a computer that you know and
> that does what you need, you just need a new monitor.

Oh, dear.....that's so "frugal"....(G)

I know you are right. I keep thinking of the process of getting the new one,
getting rid of the old one, new extras with the installation, etc., perhaps
another steep learning curve.....

Thank you for your note.

Patricia

Patricia
July 18th 03, 10:18 PM
Hi, Neil...

> From: (Neil)
> If you're comfortable with the Mac and it does everything you need,
> then I suggest you stick with it.

I do like it....I am sometimes overwhelmed with the desire for bigger,
faster, fancier.....LOL

It's sort of like the yen for a car and the lovely "new car smell".

> I haven't shopped for a scanner or printer for a Mac, but those
> peripherals are so cheap now (at least for PCs) that it might make
> sense just to buy a new scanner and printer.

It's true..I've been checking and it's easy to buy either for aroun 100.

> If you mean Consumer Reports, they are doing ongoing tests of personal
> computers both in the magazine and online at:
>
> www.consumerreports.com

Thanks, I will check it out.

> It sounds to me like you've already got a computer that you know and
> that does what you need, you just need a new monitor.

Oh, dear.....that's so "frugal"....(G)

I know you are right. I keep thinking of the process of getting the new one,
getting rid of the old one, new extras with the installation, etc., perhaps
another steep learning curve.....

Thank you for your note.

Patricia

Ned Flanders
July 18th 03, 11:28 PM
Patricia > wrote in message >...
> I have been looking around on the net, reading "Consumers" and talking to
> friends. I am as confused as I have ever been on which is the best way to
> go.
>
> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.
>
> My scanner UMAX 1200 S Ultra.. is 5 years old. It works but there are no
> drivers available if I upgrade to Mac OSX, ditto with the printer Epson 800
> color.
>
> If I go PC...same thing, I guess. I haven't checked if there are drivers
> available for XP.
>
> Money is not a huge factor...but I don't want too little muscle or more than
> I need to do Email, accounting program, photographs and word processing.
>
> The more I read the more confused I become.
>
> Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
> buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.
>
> I do know I want a LCD monitor. (G)
>
> Thank you..
> Patricia

A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
order the part after you get your computer and put it in
yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.

Cheers,

Ned

Ned Flanders
July 18th 03, 11:28 PM
Patricia > wrote in message >...
> I have been looking around on the net, reading "Consumers" and talking to
> friends. I am as confused as I have ever been on which is the best way to
> go.
>
> I have an Apple G3 now but the monitor died. I'm using a loaner at the
> moment. I need to either buy another Apple which I like or start learning
> about PC's.
>
> My scanner UMAX 1200 S Ultra.. is 5 years old. It works but there are no
> drivers available if I upgrade to Mac OSX, ditto with the printer Epson 800
> color.
>
> If I go PC...same thing, I guess. I haven't checked if there are drivers
> available for XP.
>
> Money is not a huge factor...but I don't want too little muscle or more than
> I need to do Email, accounting program, photographs and word processing.
>
> The more I read the more confused I become.
>
> Any suggestions or guidance....especially based on personal experience in
> buying a computer in the last few months would be wonderful and appreciated.
>
> I do know I want a LCD monitor. (G)
>
> Thank you..
> Patricia

A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
order the part after you get your computer and put it in
yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.

Cheers,

Ned

Tsu Dho Poster
July 18th 03, 11:39 PM
"Patricia" > wrote in message news:BB3D5

> Part of it is needing more from a machine than I once did. Especially
since
> I got the digital camera and started playing with images the current
machine
> seems limited.....
>
> Part of it is needing a new monitor and admiring the Imac/soccer ball
> configuration....
>
> Part of it is speed...the newer ones blaze along compared to mine.
>
> Part of it is that in 5 years all my additional equipment is dated even
> though it still works.....
>
> Part of it is the "human" desire for new toys......LOL
>
> Patricia
> Knows her failings....(G)

That imac/soccer ball looks Kewl....but for your limited purposes, don't
know why you'd want to spend the xtra $$.. You could buy one of the top
P-4's, & with the savings, compared to a new Mac, you could buy the lcd
monitor.

Just disregard all the horror stories of Windoz, those problems associated
with W95, W98, ME, are a thing of the past. I have Windoz 2000 Pro, & have
never had a crash. The newer Win XP is based on the same NT technology as my
W2k. Considering you don't need the Mac for work, I think I'd just get
a good P4 (with hyperthreading), maybe from Dell.
(none of these computer companies are manufacturers, they're all just "box
makers", assembling parts from (often) their cheapest suppliers)

ps: there's other ways to get new toys....might try getting a new
b/f......then drop hints of "needing" a new computer.....just a
thot........(?) :-)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 18th 03, 11:39 PM
"Patricia" > wrote in message news:BB3D5

> Part of it is needing more from a machine than I once did. Especially
since
> I got the digital camera and started playing with images the current
machine
> seems limited.....
>
> Part of it is needing a new monitor and admiring the Imac/soccer ball
> configuration....
>
> Part of it is speed...the newer ones blaze along compared to mine.
>
> Part of it is that in 5 years all my additional equipment is dated even
> though it still works.....
>
> Part of it is the "human" desire for new toys......LOL
>
> Patricia
> Knows her failings....(G)

That imac/soccer ball looks Kewl....but for your limited purposes, don't
know why you'd want to spend the xtra $$.. You could buy one of the top
P-4's, & with the savings, compared to a new Mac, you could buy the lcd
monitor.

Just disregard all the horror stories of Windoz, those problems associated
with W95, W98, ME, are a thing of the past. I have Windoz 2000 Pro, & have
never had a crash. The newer Win XP is based on the same NT technology as my
W2k. Considering you don't need the Mac for work, I think I'd just get
a good P4 (with hyperthreading), maybe from Dell.
(none of these computer companies are manufacturers, they're all just "box
makers", assembling parts from (often) their cheapest suppliers)

ps: there's other ways to get new toys....might try getting a new
b/f......then drop hints of "needing" a new computer.....just a
thot........(?) :-)

Warren Block
July 18th 03, 11:48 PM
Tsu Dho Poster > wrote:

> Considering you don't need the Mac for work, I think I'd just get
> a good P4 (with hyperthreading), maybe from Dell.
> (none of these computer companies are manufacturers, they're all just "box
> makers", assembling parts from (often) their cheapest suppliers)

That turns out not to be the case with Dell. Their motherboards, cases,
and power supplies are proprietary. They will take standard hard
drives, CD drives (provided you don't try to match the colors too
closely, or maybe at all), PCI and AGP cards.

Warren Block
July 18th 03, 11:48 PM
Tsu Dho Poster > wrote:

> Considering you don't need the Mac for work, I think I'd just get
> a good P4 (with hyperthreading), maybe from Dell.
> (none of these computer companies are manufacturers, they're all just "box
> makers", assembling parts from (often) their cheapest suppliers)

That turns out not to be the case with Dell. Their motherboards, cases,
and power supplies are proprietary. They will take standard hard
drives, CD drives (provided you don't try to match the colors too
closely, or maybe at all), PCI and AGP cards.

Patricia
July 19th 03, 01:57 AM
> From: "Tsu Dho Poster" >

> ps: there's other ways to get new toys....might try getting a new
> b/f......then drop hints of "needing" a new computer.....just a
> thot........(?) :-)
=============

Great idea...but it might **** off the current one, don't you think ? LOL

Thanks....you made me smile with that one.

Patricia

Patricia
July 19th 03, 01:57 AM

=============

Great idea...but it might **** off the current one, don't you think ? LOL

Thanks....you made me smile with that one.

Patricia

Patricia
July 19th 03, 01:59 AM
> From: (Ned Flanders)
> A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
> cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
> order the part after you get your computer and put it in
> yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
> around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.
==========

Doesn't that just make you burn !

Why is everything so complicated ?

Why can't a company specialize in good products and equitable treatment...?

They might just make a bazillion.....LOL

Patricia

Patricia
July 19th 03, 01:59 AM
> From: (Ned Flanders)
> A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
> cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
> order the part after you get your computer and put it in
> yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
> around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.
==========

Doesn't that just make you burn !

Why is everything so complicated ?

Why can't a company specialize in good products and equitable treatment...?

They might just make a bazillion.....LOL

Patricia

Dennis
July 19th 03, 06:10 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:59:38 GMT, Patricia >
wrote:

>> From: (Ned Flanders)
>> A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
>> cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
>> order the part after you get your computer and put it in
>> yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
>> around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.
>==========
>
>Doesn't that just make you burn !
>
>Why is everything so complicated ?
>
>Why can't a company specialize in good products and equitable treatment...?
>
>They might just make a bazillion.....LOL

Fortunately, these two sites do a pretty good job of sniffing out the
good deals from Dell for you:

http://www.bensbargains.net/
http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php

I bought my Dell PC online after watching the deals on these sites for
a while. I have been very happy with it.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

wrote:

>> From: (Ned Flanders)
>> A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
>> cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
>> order the part after you get your computer and put it in
>> yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
>> around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.
>==========
>
>Doesn't that just make you burn !
>
>Why is everything so complicated ?
>
>Why can't a company specialize in good products and equitable treatment...?
>
>They might just make a bazillion.....LOL

Fortunately, these two sites do a pretty good job of sniffing out the
good deals from Dell for you:

http://www.bensbargains.net/
http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php

I bought my Dell PC online after watching the deals on these sites for
a while. I have been very happy with it.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 19th 03, 07:44 PM
"Patricia" > wrote in message

> > From: (Ned Flanders)
> > A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
> > cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
> > order the part after you get your computer and put it in
> > yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
> > around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.
> ==========
>
> Doesn't that just make you burn !

No. It's strictly voluntary. Some ppl will pay just for the convenience.
Others, cuz they don't know any better.

> Why is everything so complicated ?

Maybe cuz they know "one size fits all" doesn't sell. Everyone has diff
needs/wants.

> Why can't a company specialize in good products and equitable
treatment...?

There's big profits in grade B merchandise, it seems. Very little demand for
the best.

Was just looking at that eMac pic (soccerball) posted by that Mactech.
That's the model this "Emulators" guy blasted last year...for having a very
low resolution monitor. That same 1000 x 760 was available on pc's 10 yrs
ago.!! Now I noticed they still have _Old, slow memory, sdram, pc133
probably. You'd think for that pricetag you'd get something
state-of-the-art.......not! (The newer DDR memory is like a 4-lane
highway, the old memory is a 2-lane road)
While I realize Macs can accomplish more per cycle, I'm not impressed with a
1ghz processor. PC's are over 3 ghz already. You can buy a mickey-mouse 1
ghz PC at Walmart for a measly $200, with no OS, or with Linux, (Lindows).

You can also run much of your Mac stuff on PC's:

SoftMac Xpress
Copy and store Mac files on your PC. Run Macintosh software on Windows.
Fast!
http://www.emulators.com/XP/index.htm

Using a Macintosh emulator, your PC can:

Run the Mac OS on x86 processors - run Mac OS on Intel and AMD processors,
and run Mac OS and Windows at the same time.

Read Macintosh disks - read your Macintosh floppy disks, CD-ROMs, Iomega ZIP
disks and other Mac disks directly.

Run most Macintosh programs - our current emulators run about 90% of all
System 6, System 7, and Mac OS 8 compatible Macintosh software.

Have faster speed and larger memory - run Macintosh applications at close to
the full clock speed of your PC with up to a gigabyte of memory.

Tsu Dho Poster
July 19th 03, 07:44 PM
"Patricia" > wrote in message

> > From: (Ned Flanders)
> > A note about Dell, watch how you configure the ADD-ONS. Some items
> > cost $200.00 when you order it as part of your computer, but if you
> > order the part after you get your computer and put it in
> > yourself--$89.00. And it works vis versa ... so you may have to play
> > around with the configuration to get the best deal from Dell.
> ==========
>
> Doesn't that just make you burn !

No. It's strictly voluntary. Some ppl will pay just for the convenience.
Others, cuz they don't know any better.

> Why is everything so complicated ?

Maybe cuz they know "one size fits all" doesn't sell. Everyone has diff
needs/wants.

> Why can't a company specialize in good products and equitable
treatment...?

There's big profits in grade B merchandise, it seems. Very little demand for
the best.

Was just looking at that eMac pic (soccerball) posted by that Mactech.
That's the model this "Emulators" guy blasted last year...for having a very
low resolution monitor. That same 1000 x 760 was available on pc's 10 yrs
ago.!! Now I noticed they still have _Old, slow memory, sdram, pc133
probably. You'd think for that pricetag you'd get something
state-of-the-art.......not! (The newer DDR memory is like a 4-lane
highway, the old memory is a 2-lane road)
While I realize Macs can accomplish more per cycle, I'm not impressed with a
1ghz processor. PC's are over 3 ghz already. You can buy a mickey-mouse 1
ghz PC at Walmart for a measly $200, with no OS, or with Linux, (Lindows).

You can also run much of your Mac stuff on PC's:

SoftMac Xpress
Copy and store Mac files on your PC. Run Macintosh software on Windows.
Fast!
http://www.emulators.com/XP/index.htm

Using a Macintosh emulator, your PC can:

Run the Mac OS on x86 processors - run Mac OS on Intel and AMD processors,
and run Mac OS and Windows at the same time.

Read Macintosh disks - read your Macintosh floppy disks, CD-ROMs, Iomega ZIP
disks and other Mac disks directly.

Run most Macintosh programs - our current emulators run about 90% of all
System 6, System 7, and Mac OS 8 compatible Macintosh software.

Have faster speed and larger memory - run Macintosh applications at close to
the full clock speed of your PC with up to a gigabyte of memory.

Patricia
July 19th 03, 09:25 PM
> From: "Tsu Dho Poster" >
> No. It's strictly voluntary. Some ppl will pay just for the convenience.
> Others, cuz they don't know any better.

> Maybe cuz they know "one size fits all" doesn't sell. Everyone has diff
> needs/wants.
>
> There's big profits in grade B merchandise, it seems. Very little demand for
> the best.
>
> Was just looking at that eMac pic (soccerball) posted by that Mactech.
> That's the model this "Emulators" guy blasted last year...for having a very
> low resolution monitor. That same 1000 x 760 was available on pc's 10 yrs
> ago.!! Now I noticed they still have _Old, slow memory, sdram, pc133
> probably. You'd think for that pricetag you'd get something
> state-of-the-art.......not! (The newer DDR memory is like a 4-lane
> highway, the old memory is a 2-lane road)
> While I realize Macs can accomplish more per cycle, I'm not impressed with a
> 1ghz processor. PC's are over 3 ghz already. You can buy a mickey-mouse 1
> ghz PC at Walmart for a measly $200, with no OS, or with Linux, (Lindows).
>
> You can also run much of your Mac stuff on PC's:
>
> SoftMac Xpress
> Copy and store Mac files on your PC. Run Macintosh software on Windows.
> Fast!
> http://www.emulators.com/XP/index.htm
>
> Using a Macintosh emulator, your PC can:
>
> Run the Mac OS on x86 processors - run Mac OS on Intel and AMD processors,
> and run Mac OS and Windows at the same time.
>
> Read Macintosh disks - read your Macintosh floppy disks, CD-ROMs, Iomega ZIP
> disks and other Mac disks directly.
>
> Run most Macintosh programs - our current emulators run about 90% of all
> System 6, System 7, and Mac OS 8 compatible Macintosh software.
>
> Have faster speed and larger memory - run Macintosh applications at close to
> the full clock speed of your PC with up to a gigabyte of memory.
=========

Thanks Tsu do...

There was much in your letter that I didn't know. I will investigate
further. Thank you for your help.

Patricia

Patricia
July 19th 03, 09:25 PM
> From: "Tsu Dho Poster" >
> No. It's strictly voluntary. Some ppl will pay just for the convenience.
> Others, cuz they don't know any better.

> Maybe cuz they know "one size fits all" doesn't sell. Everyone has diff
> needs/wants.
>
> There's big profits in grade B merchandise, it seems. Very little demand for
> the best.
>
> Was just looking at that eMac pic (soccerball) posted by that Mactech.
> That's the model this "Emulators" guy blasted last year...for having a very
> low resolution monitor. That same 1000 x 760 was available on pc's 10 yrs
> ago.!! Now I noticed they still have _Old, slow memory, sdram, pc133
> probably. You'd think for that pricetag you'd get something
> state-of-the-art.......not! (The newer DDR memory is like a 4-lane
> highway, the old memory is a 2-lane road)
> While I realize Macs can accomplish more per cycle, I'm not impressed with a
> 1ghz processor. PC's are over 3 ghz already. You can buy a mickey-mouse 1
> ghz PC at Walmart for a measly $200, with no OS, or with Linux, (Lindows).
>
> You can also run much of your Mac stuff on PC's:
>
> SoftMac Xpress
> Copy and store Mac files on your PC. Run Macintosh software on Windows.
> Fast!
> http://www.emulators.com/XP/index.htm
>
> Using a Macintosh emulator, your PC can:
>
> Run the Mac OS on x86 processors - run Mac OS on Intel and AMD processors,
> and run Mac OS and Windows at the same time.
>
> Read Macintosh disks - read your Macintosh floppy disks, CD-ROMs, Iomega ZIP
> disks and other Mac disks directly.
>
> Run most Macintosh programs - our current emulators run about 90% of all
> System 6, System 7, and Mac OS 8 compatible Macintosh software.
>
> Have faster speed and larger memory - run Macintosh applications at close to
> the full clock speed of your PC with up to a gigabyte of memory.
=========

Thanks Tsu do...

There was much in your letter that I didn't know. I will investigate
further. Thank you for your help.

Patricia

Ray
July 20th 03, 06:17 AM
Patricia, also take a look at this site:
http://www.cognigenpc.com/default.asp?cogid=obtech

--
Ray

Create your own biz and have it up and running in less than two hours:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

Ray
July 20th 03, 06:17 AM
Patricia, also take a look at this site:
http://www.cognigenpc.com/default.asp?cogid=obtech

--
Ray

Create your own biz and have it up and running in less than two hours:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

J. Bruce Fields
July 20th 03, 06:01 PM
In article nk.net>,
Ray > wrote:
>Patricia, also take a look at this site:

You should at least mention that you have a financial interest
there.

--Bruce Fields

J. Bruce Fields
July 20th 03, 06:01 PM
In article nk.net>,
Ray > wrote:
>Patricia, also take a look at this site:

You should at least mention that you have a financial interest
there.

--Bruce Fields

Neil
July 21st 03, 04:51 PM
Patricia > wrote in message >...
> Hi, Neil...
>
> > From: (Neil)
> > If you're comfortable with the Mac and it does everything you need,
> > then I suggest you stick with it.
>
> I do like it....I am sometimes overwhelmed with the desire for bigger,
> faster, fancier.....LOL
>
> It's sort of like the yen for a car and the lovely "new car smell".

Assuming you had an old, conventional monitor, and that you now want
something new and spiffy for your computer system, why not replace
that old monitor with a new LCD monitor? That would give your computer
system a spiffy new look and give you a lot more desk space.

Or you could add a CD burner or other new peripheral or upgrade.
Something like the above would give you some new features and looks
and be a frugal compromise between getting a new computer and keeping
the old.

However, having said the above, sometimes there gets to be a point
where the old computer just seems to be over the hill and needs to be
replaced.

(snip)

> > It sounds to me like you've already got a computer that you know and
> > that does what you need, you just need a new monitor.
>

> Oh, dear.....that's so "frugal"....(G)
>
> I know you are right. I keep thinking of the process of getting the new one,
> getting rid of the old one, new extras with the installation, etc., perhaps
> another steep learning curve.....

Every few years, I upgrade to a new or new-to-me (that, is used)
computer. I always find that it's more hassle and expense than I
expect. I also find that although I don't expect the following to
happen, often I have to buy new peripherals to go with the old
computer.

> Thank you for your note.

Glad to help!

I'm all for upgrading old computers, but I realize there comes a time
when a newer computer will do so many more things that it's hard to
resist buying a new computer. Sometimes I'll buy a new computer partly
because I realize that thinking about it so much is costing me $$$, in
the form of time wasted on deciding about a new computer. Sometimes it
makes sense (IMHO) to just go ahead and buy a new computer, not think
about it too much.

MacTech
July 26th 03, 05:33 AM
> > Why is everything so complicated ?
>
> Maybe cuz they know "one size fits all" doesn't sell. Everyone has diff
> needs/wants.
>
> > Why can't a company specialize in good products and equitable
> treatment...?
>
> There's big profits in grade B merchandise, it seems. Very little demand for
> the best.
>
> Was just looking at that eMac pic (soccerball) posted by that Mactech.
> That's the model this "Emulators" guy blasted last year...for having a very
> low resolution monitor. That same 1000 x 760 was available on pc's 10 yrs
> ago.!! Now I noticed they still have _Old, slow memory, sdram, pc133
> probably. You'd think for that pricetag you'd get something
> state-of-the-art.......not! (The newer DDR memory is like a 4-lane
> highway, the old memory is a 2-lane road)
> While I realize Macs can accomplish more per cycle, I'm not impressed with a
> 1ghz processor. PC's are over 3 ghz already. You can buy a mickey-mouse 1
> ghz PC at Walmart for a measly $200, with no OS, or with Linux, (Lindows).

-- No -- I suggested the iMac, not the eMac. There's a big difference.
In my opinion eMac's are cheap machines. Apple's trying to appeal to
the people who can't or don't want to spend more money on an higher
quality computer.

Here's the iMac I suggested:
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/

Or if you want to go hog wild...here's the tech specs on Apple's new
G5:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Randy (aka, MacTech)

Patricia
July 26th 03, 02:50 PM
> From: (MacTech
> -- No -- I suggested the iMac, not the eMac. There's a big difference.
> In my opinion eMac's are cheap machines. Apple's trying to appeal to
> the people who can't or don't want to spend more money on an higher
> quality computer.
>
> Here's the iMac I suggested:
> http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/
>
> Or if you want to go hog wild...here's the tech specs on Apple's new
> G5:
> http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html
>
> Randy (aka, MacTech)
--------

Hi, Randy...

I'm wobbling between the Imac and the hog wild...G5.

I will admit I'm sorely tempted. LOL

Patricia
Tightwad in Florida

Google