PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Optical

Paul
July 17th 03, 04:12 PM
It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
any comments.

Jarkat2002
July 17th 03, 06:28 PM
>It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
>are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
>the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
>any comments.

I have bought Wal*Mart script glasses. They were fine. I used them for about
2 years. My script is very simple though and I don't know if I would buy a
complex prescription there.
~Kat

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head

Jarkat2002
July 17th 03, 06:28 PM
>It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
>are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
>the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
>any comments.

I have bought Wal*Mart script glasses. They were fine. I used them for about
2 years. My script is very simple though and I don't know if I would buy a
complex prescription there.
~Kat

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head

July 17th 03, 07:46 PM
"Paul" > wrote in message
om...
> It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
> are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
> the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
> any comments.

My current (2 year old) trifocals came from the ever-expanding evil empire
of Wal-Mart . . . they're actually pretty good, the only place I was able to
get round frames. Went back to see about getting a second pair, they said
they couldn't get 'em, but could replace the lenses.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I've been happy with 'em, can recommend
'em, even for lightweight trifocals.
-Tock

July 17th 03, 07:46 PM
"Paul" > wrote in message
om...
> It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
> are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
> the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
> any comments.

My current (2 year old) trifocals came from the ever-expanding evil empire
of Wal-Mart . . . they're actually pretty good, the only place I was able to
get round frames. Went back to see about getting a second pair, they said
they couldn't get 'em, but could replace the lenses.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I've been happy with 'em, can recommend
'em, even for lightweight trifocals.
-Tock

R.White
July 17th 03, 10:01 PM
(Paul) wrote in message >...
> It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
> are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
> the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
> any comments.

As one of the most outspoken critics of Wal-Mart, I will say
they have replaced broken frames free of charge on a co-workers
glasses twice in the last year. No questions asked.

Other than that, Wal-Mart sucks!

R.White
July 17th 03, 10:01 PM
(Paul) wrote in message >...
> It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
> are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
> the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
> any comments.

As one of the most outspoken critics of Wal-Mart, I will say
they have replaced broken frames free of charge on a co-workers
glasses twice in the last year. No questions asked.

Other than that, Wal-Mart sucks!

Dorot29701
July 17th 03, 11:36 PM
I bought the glasses I am wearing now from Wal-mart, a little more than a year
ago. I've been satisfied with them. They are bi-focals, very strong because I
am very near sighted. The frames were less expensive there than at some other
stores...same frame just different price. I would go there again.

Dorothy

Dorot29701
July 17th 03, 11:36 PM
I bought the glasses I am wearing now from Wal-mart, a little more than a year
ago. I've been satisfied with them. They are bi-focals, very strong because I
am very near sighted. The frames were less expensive there than at some other
stores...same frame just different price. I would go there again.

Dorothy

Bubbalicious

>came from the ever-expanding evil empire
>of Wal-Mart . . . they're actually pretty good, the only place I was able to
>get round frames.

That doesn't sound "EVIL" if you enjoyed their services...............?

"actually pretty good" sounds like a honest endorsement of a company who knows
how to fill the needs of the public at a fair price and you were satisfied with
the transaction.

Bubbalicious

>came from the ever-expanding evil empire
>of Wal-Mart . . . they're actually pretty good, the only place I was able to
>get round frames.

That doesn't sound "EVIL" if you enjoyed their services...............?

"actually pretty good" sounds like a honest endorsement of a company who knows
how to fill the needs of the public at a fair price and you were satisfied with
the transaction.

July 18th 03, 01:20 AM
"Bubbalicious" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
>
> >came from the ever-expanding evil empire
> >of Wal-Mart . . . they're actually pretty good, the only place I was able
> >get round frames.
>

> That doesn't sound "EVIL" if you enjoyed their services...............?
>
> "actually pretty good" sounds like a honest endorsement of a company who
knows
> how to fill the needs of the public at a fair price and you were satisfied
with
> the transaction.

Any corporation that big is by definition, IMHO, evil . . . too much of a
good thing, don'tcha know . . .
--Tock

July 18th 03, 01:20 AM
"Bubbalicious" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
>
> >came from the ever-expanding evil empire
> >of Wal-Mart . . . they're actually pretty good, the only place I was able
> >get round frames.
>

> That doesn't sound "EVIL" if you enjoyed their services...............?
>
> "actually pretty good" sounds like a honest endorsement of a company who
knows
> how to fill the needs of the public at a fair price and you were satisfied
with
> the transaction.

Any corporation that big is by definition, IMHO, evil . . . too much of a
good thing, don'tcha know . . .
--Tock

Arri London
July 18th 03, 03:55 AM
Paul wrote:

> It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
> are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
> the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
> any comments.

I had my eyes checked there at the associated optometrist
and bought a pair of Rx reading glasses.
The lenses were just cheap plastic with no special
treatments and the frame was the cheapest wire frame I could
get: USD40 for the glasses and about that for the exam.

No idea what the warranty is, as I've always had to change
RX before any warranty ran out anyway.

Arri London
July 18th 03, 03:55 AM
Paul wrote:

> It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
> are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
> the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
> any comments.

I had my eyes checked there at the associated optometrist
and bought a pair of Rx reading glasses.
The lenses were just cheap plastic with no special
treatments and the frame was the cheapest wire frame I could
get: USD40 for the glasses and about that for the exam.

No idea what the warranty is, as I've always had to change
RX before any warranty ran out anyway.

Bubbalicious

>Any corporation that big is by definition, IMHO, evil . . . too much of a
>good thing, don'tcha know . . .

Why did you perpetuate the evil and endorse their service? <vbg>

Bubbalicious

>Any corporation that big is by definition, IMHO, evil . . . too much of a
>good thing, don'tcha know . . .

Why did you perpetuate the evil and endorse their service? <vbg>

Bonita and/or William F. Kale
July 18th 03, 02:22 PM
I've been using them for the last three prescriptions or so. I
get no-line bifocals, and I've been happy with them. The frames
do fine as long as I don't sit on them, and if I do, they'll
replace the broken earpieces.

I don't get the most expensive frames, either. I start looking
at the cheap end and work my way up.

However, the glasses I got last time were $254.00 (just the
glasses, not an eye exam or anything).

I was kind of surprised, and thought about trying other places.
But maybe it's just normal inflation--anyone know? Is that a
high price for no-line bifocals?

No coating of any kind, but I think I needed a thinner-than
standard plastic to get my prescription in these frames (they
don't have a bottom, only a top, and really thick lenses won't
work).

Bonita

S SAM wrote:

> I have wore glasses for 23 years. I gave WalMart Optical a shot. I
> purchased a pair of frames at their high end. $100 I think. I have
> the same pair of glasses now for 3 years and the frame has not flaked
> off paint like some of the cheaper ones I have purchased elsewhere.
>
> I am curious if their lower priced frames hold up very well?
>
> In my experience, cheap frames last less than a year before needing
> replaced. Mind you that I haven't tried them yet.
>
> On 17 Jul 2003 07:12:46 -0700, (Paul) wrote:
>
> >It's time for me to change glasses and I have a new prescription. What
> >are the current thoughts on Walmart glasses? Are you satisfied? How's
> >the lens and frame quality? Do they have a good warranty? Thanks for
> >any comments.

Bonita and/or William F. Kale
July 18th 03, 02:24 PM
P.S. Don't get the no-glare coating; it scratches something awful
(or at least, it did when I got it several years ago). I came in
to have it removed and was told that's a common request.

Bonita

Bonita and/or William F. Kale
July 18th 03, 02:24 PM
P.S. Don't get the no-glare coating; it scratches something awful
(or at least, it did when I got it several years ago). I came in
to have it removed and was told that's a common request.

Bonita

July 18th 03, 03:09 PM
"Bubbalicious" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
>
> >Any corporation that big is by definition, IMHO, evil . . . too much of a
> >good thing, don'tcha know . . .
>
> Why did you perpetuate the evil and endorse their service? <vbg>

Desperation . . . I was working nights, and they had hours that worked for
my schedule. Plus, they were right down the street at the time . . . (I've
moved since then) . . .

July 18th 03, 03:09 PM
"Bubbalicious" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
>
> >Any corporation that big is by definition, IMHO, evil . . . too much of a
> >good thing, don'tcha know . . .
>
> Why did you perpetuate the evil and endorse their service? <vbg>

Desperation . . . I was working nights, and they had hours that worked for
my schedule. Plus, they were right down the street at the time . . . (I've
moved since then) . . .

Riderhood
July 18th 03, 10:41 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
> However, the glasses I got last time were $254.00 (just the
> glasses, not an eye exam or anything).
>
> I was kind of surprised, and thought about trying other places.
> But maybe it's just normal inflation--anyone know? Is that a
> high price for no-line bifocals?

They quoted me $304.00 for no-line bi-focals...and I went elsewhere.

Riderhood

Riderhood
July 18th 03, 10:41 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
> However, the glasses I got last time were $254.00 (just the
> glasses, not an eye exam or anything).
>
> I was kind of surprised, and thought about trying other places.
> But maybe it's just normal inflation--anyone know? Is that a
> high price for no-line bifocals?

They quoted me $304.00 for no-line bi-focals...and I went elsewhere.

Riderhood

The Real Bev
July 19th 03, 02:31 AM
S SAM wrote:

> I have wore glasses for 23 years. I gave WalMart Optical a shot. I
> purchased a pair of frames at their high end. $100 I think. I have
> the same pair of glasses now for 3 years and the frame has not flaked
> off paint like some of the cheaper ones I have purchased elsewhere.
>
> I am curious if their lower priced frames hold up very well?
>
> In my experience, cheap frames last less than a year before needing
> replaced. Mind you that I haven't tried them yet.

In my glasses-wearing history of over 20 years I have bought nothing but
cheap frames. The only one that has ever broken was because I did a
face-plant while skiing -- but I repaired it with some super glue and wore
it for at least another year, until I got a new prescription. The cheap
places set the price of the glasses by the price of the frame, plus
extras, of course, so there's not much point in re-using old frames unless
you hate all the new ones.

I've used Frame n Lens, For Eyes, and a local discount place that's
willing to meet the prices of other shops. I would assume that WalMart
and Costco would be similarly satisfactory.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 19th 03, 02:31 AM
S SAM wrote:

> I have wore glasses for 23 years. I gave WalMart Optical a shot. I
> purchased a pair of frames at their high end. $100 I think. I have
> the same pair of glasses now for 3 years and the frame has not flaked
> off paint like some of the cheaper ones I have purchased elsewhere.
>
> I am curious if their lower priced frames hold up very well?
>
> In my experience, cheap frames last less than a year before needing
> replaced. Mind you that I haven't tried them yet.

In my glasses-wearing history of over 20 years I have bought nothing but
cheap frames. The only one that has ever broken was because I did a
face-plant while skiing -- but I repaired it with some super glue and wore
it for at least another year, until I got a new prescription. The cheap
places set the price of the glasses by the price of the frame, plus
extras, of course, so there's not much point in re-using old frames unless
you hate all the new ones.

I've used Frame n Lens, For Eyes, and a local discount place that's
willing to meet the prices of other shops. I would assume that WalMart
and Costco would be similarly satisfactory.

--
Cheers,
Bev
If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.

R.White
July 20th 03, 01:59 PM
Bubbalicious > wrote in message >...
> (R.White) wrote:
>
> >The public*, haha. How many of the public* bought a talking Billy Bass?
>
> HA!...............aren't you just ****ed that you didn't think of Billy
> Bass??!!

No, It's easy enough getting people to buy my junk on EBay!

> > You could have retired years ago and lived like a King!

Well, I may not be retired, but I already live like a king thanks
to knowing what really matters.

R.White
July 20th 03, 01:59 PM
Bubbalicious > wrote in message >...
> (R.White) wrote:
>
> >The public*, haha. How many of the public* bought a talking Billy Bass?
>
> HA!...............aren't you just ****ed that you didn't think of Billy
> Bass??!!

No, It's easy enough getting people to buy my junk on EBay!

> > You could have retired years ago and lived like a King!

Well, I may not be retired, but I already live like a king thanks
to knowing what really matters.

Google