PDA

View Full Version : My latest find

Nina
July 18th 03, 07:22 AM
I can never spell basinett right. Anyway, I found one for a mere $10 at the
thrift store. It doesnt even need painting. Great because they only last a
few weeks and I cant see myself spending big bucks on one. Now the key is to
NOT ruin the frugality of it all by spending lots of money making it all
pretty.
I saw some basinett thingies online for over 2 grand. TWO GRAND!! I guess
if you can spend 2 grand on a wedding dress to wear for an hour, you can
spend it on crib bedding to last for 3 months.
Hmm, what a good heirloom idea. Use moms wedding gown to make baby's
christening gown, basinett cover and 1st communion dress.
Of course I got married in polka dots one time and lilac the other......

--
A bride in June, a slave in September.

Bonita and/or William F. Kale
July 18th 03, 02:07 PM
Two grand, oh my dear Lord. My "hungry people in the world" tape
is running.

Sounds like you paid the right price--and not even having to
paint it is a real bonus. Congratulations.

By the way, cute baby things are fun and all, but really,
-anything- you put on a baby can only detract, because a baby,
all by itself, is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Bonita

Nina wrote:

> I can never spell basinett right. Anyway, I found one for a mere $10 at the
> thrift store. It doesnt even need painting. Great because they only last a
> few weeks and I cant see myself spending big bucks on one. Now the key is to
> NOT ruin the frugality of it all by spending lots of money making it all
> pretty.
> I saw some basinett thingies online for over 2 grand. TWO GRAND!! I guess
> if you can spend 2 grand on a wedding dress to wear for an hour, you can
> spend it on crib bedding to last for 3 months.
> Hmm, what a good heirloom idea. Use moms wedding gown to make baby's
> christening gown, basinett cover and 1st communion dress.
> Of course I got married in polka dots one time and lilac the other......
>
> --
> A bride in June, a slave in September.

silvasurfa
July 18th 03, 05:44 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message

> By the way, cute baby things are fun and all, but really,
> -anything- you put on a baby can only detract, because a baby,
> all by itself, is the most beautiful thing in the world.
>
> Bonita

Yes, but cute or no, they gets cold in winter without clothes... so you
might as well get cute clothes.

silvasurfa
July 18th 03, 05:44 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message

> By the way, cute baby things are fun and all, but really,
> -anything- you put on a baby can only detract, because a baby,
> all by itself, is the most beautiful thing in the world.
>
> Bonita

Yes, but cute or no, they gets cold in winter without clothes... so you
might as well get cute clothes.

Nina
July 18th 03, 05:51 PM
Sadly, said baby will appear in November or so. I'm betting that blue tinge
to the skin might make nakedness a little less beautiful, so I will have to
dress it! ;)
Now I am on the hunt for a cheap chest of drawers, this is the baby I
intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2) but I
can't make myself spend all sorts of money on it! Oh well.

> [...]

> Nina wrote:
> >
> > I can never spell basinett right. Anyway, I found one for a mere $10 at
the
> > thrift store. It doesnt even need painting. Great because they only last
> > few weeks and I cant see myself spending big bucks on one. Now the key
is to
> > NOT ruin the frugality of it all by spending lots of money making it all
> > pretty.
> > I saw some basinett thingies online for over 2 grand. TWO GRAND!! I
guess
> > if you can spend 2 grand on a wedding dress to wear for an hour, you can
> > spend it on crib bedding to last for 3 months.
> > Hmm, what a good heirloom idea. Use moms wedding gown to make baby's
> > christening gown, basinett cover and 1st communion dress.
> > Of course I got married in polka dots one time and lilac the other......

July 18th 03, 07:00 PM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message

> We painted my daughter's furniture when she was a child - we
> bought used furniture - two bookcases, a desk, a bureau, and
> a toy chest.
>
> We stripped all the pieces and painted them blue, white, and
> green - the body of the furniture was white, with alternate
> shelves (bookcase) or drawers (chest of drawers) of bright
> blue or bright green.
>
> They really all came out looking very good indeed. Her
> room was very attractive.
>
> There was quite a bit of work stripping all the furniture
> though. I think that there are strippers now that work
> better and faster - this was more than 30 years ago.
>
> Pat

Y'know, sometimes I reckon I must be broken, because I'm just about the only
mother I know who didn't renovate a chest of drawers or a wardrobe for her
baby. I used an old chest of drawers and that was that.

I did repaint an wooden stool I bought at a garage sale, so that I could
have a stool for the bathroom to help little people reach the sink etc. The
stool was AU$2, and I couldn't get away without painting it because someone
had sanded the layered top and the surface had gone all to shards, so it
needed a good 5 or so thick coats from a leftover sample pot to seal it all
up and make it safe.

And I did buy 2 matching wardrobes a while back that needed painting due to
being vile colours, but MIL came round and painted them in a sneak attack,
so that was that. :)

Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in their
early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour in
their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.

silvasurfa
July 18th 03, 07:00 PM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message

> We painted my daughter's furniture when she was a child - we
> bought used furniture - two bookcases, a desk, a bureau, and
> a toy chest.
>
> We stripped all the pieces and painted them blue, white, and
> green - the body of the furniture was white, with alternate
> shelves (bookcase) or drawers (chest of drawers) of bright
> blue or bright green.
>
> They really all came out looking very good indeed. Her
> room was very attractive.
>
> There was quite a bit of work stripping all the furniture
> though. I think that there are strippers now that work
> better and faster - this was more than 30 years ago.
>
> Pat

Y'know, sometimes I reckon I must be broken, because I'm just about the only
mother I know who didn't renovate a chest of drawers or a wardrobe for her
baby. I used an old chest of drawers and that was that.

I did repaint an wooden stool I bought at a garage sale, so that I could
have a stool for the bathroom to help little people reach the sink etc. The
stool was AU$2, and I couldn't get away without painting it because someone
had sanded the layered top and the surface had gone all to shards, so it
needed a good 5 or so thick coats from a leftover sample pot to seal it all
up and make it safe.

And I did buy 2 matching wardrobes a while back that needed painting due to
being vile colours, but MIL came round and painted them in a sneak attack,
so that was that. :)

Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in their
early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour in
their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.

Karen Wheless
July 18th 03, 07:06 PM
> Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
> with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
> angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in their
> early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour in
> their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.

My parents bought unfinished furniture for my room when I was born, and
I still have the chest of drawers in my bedroom now, 33 years later.
It's beginning to break at the bottom from being pushed and pulled out
from the wall over the years, but it's still in nice shape for being so
old. It was even used as a changing table when I was a baby, since it
was just the right size and shape.

Karen

Karen Wheless
July 18th 03, 07:06 PM
> Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
> with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
> angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in their
> early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour in
> their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.

My parents bought unfinished furniture for my room when I was born, and
I still have the chest of drawers in my bedroom now, 33 years later.
It's beginning to break at the bottom from being pushed and pulled out
from the wall over the years, but it's still in nice shape for being so
old. It was even used as a changing table when I was a baby, since it
was just the right size and shape.

Karen

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:03 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT
> "Nina" > wrote:
> <snip>
> > this is the baby I
> > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
> <snip>
>
> Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."

There is an 8 year gap between the youngest, I suspect this won't be an
issue.

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:03 PM
"Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT
> "Nina" > wrote:
> <snip>
> > this is the baby I
> > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
> <snip>
>
> Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."

There is an 8 year gap between the youngest, I suspect this won't be an
issue.

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:09 PM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT, "Nina"
> > wrote:
>
> >Sadly, said baby will appear in November or so. I'm betting that blue
tinge
> >to the skin might make nakedness a little less beautiful, so I will have
> >dress it! ;)
> >Now I am on the hunt for a cheap chest of drawers, this is the baby I
> >intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
but I
> >can't make myself spend all sorts of money on it! Oh well.
> >

> I absolutely guarantee that the baby won't care at all
> whether the chest of drawers cost $5 at Goodwill or
> thousands of dollars at a very upscale furniture store.
>
> We painted my daughter's furniture when she was a child - we
> bought used furniture - two bookcases, a desk, a bureau, and
> a toy chest.
>
> We stripped all the pieces and painted them blue, white, and
> green - the body of the furniture was white, with alternate
> shelves (bookcase) or drawers (chest of drawers) of bright
> blue or bright green.
>
> They really all came out looking very good indeed. Her
> room was very attractive.
>
> There was quite a bit of work stripping all the furniture
> though. I think that there are strippers now that work
> better and faster - this was more than 30 years ago.
>
> Pat

I was intending to spoil it for my benefit. :) My sister and I always talk
of having our "money baby", meaning the one we have when we can afford to
buy nice things and make everything all pretty and fluffy. My husband didnt
seem to have those plans, but he does intend to spoil this one rotten (his
next oldest is 15), just to enjoy doing the things he couldnt afford w/the
other 3.

My daughters furniture is used, I take great pleasure in hunting down old
(nice) stuff and redoing it. To be honest, I prefer old stuff because for me
the fun is in the recreating, not the shopping. To take 5 pieces of ugly
stuff and make a delightful new set, is great. Its like being God on a
smaller scale. I bore everyone with all my before and after pictures of all
my projects.
I found a chest for $25 at the thrift store, it was nice and 50% off the
normal $50. Sadly, they forgot to put the Sold sticker on it and sold it
again. so I got a refund. Hopefully I will find a better one soon!

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:09 PM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT, "Nina"
> > wrote:
>
> >Sadly, said baby will appear in November or so. I'm betting that blue
tinge
> >to the skin might make nakedness a little less beautiful, so I will have
> >dress it! ;)
> >Now I am on the hunt for a cheap chest of drawers, this is the baby I
> >intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
but I
> >can't make myself spend all sorts of money on it! Oh well.
> >

> I absolutely guarantee that the baby won't care at all
> whether the chest of drawers cost $5 at Goodwill or
> thousands of dollars at a very upscale furniture store.
>
> We painted my daughter's furniture when she was a child - we
> bought used furniture - two bookcases, a desk, a bureau, and
> a toy chest.
>
> We stripped all the pieces and painted them blue, white, and
> green - the body of the furniture was white, with alternate
> shelves (bookcase) or drawers (chest of drawers) of bright
> blue or bright green.
>
> They really all came out looking very good indeed. Her
> room was very attractive.
>
> There was quite a bit of work stripping all the furniture
> though. I think that there are strippers now that work
> better and faster - this was more than 30 years ago.
>
> Pat

I was intending to spoil it for my benefit. :) My sister and I always talk
of having our "money baby", meaning the one we have when we can afford to
buy nice things and make everything all pretty and fluffy. My husband didnt
seem to have those plans, but he does intend to spoil this one rotten (his
next oldest is 15), just to enjoy doing the things he couldnt afford w/the
other 3.

My daughters furniture is used, I take great pleasure in hunting down old
(nice) stuff and redoing it. To be honest, I prefer old stuff because for me
the fun is in the recreating, not the shopping. To take 5 pieces of ugly
stuff and make a delightful new set, is great. Its like being God on a
smaller scale. I bore everyone with all my before and after pictures of all
my projects.
I found a chest for $25 at the thrift store, it was nice and 50% off the
normal $50. Sadly, they forgot to put the Sold sticker on it and sold it
again. so I got a refund. Hopefully I will find a better one soon!

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:15 PM
"silvasurfa" > wrote
> Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
> with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
> angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in
their
> early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour
in
> their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.

I buy my stuff w/the intention of keeping it forever and perhaps passing
down/over to other kids. My daughters chest was $80 used, but it would have
been $400 or so if I'd gotten a new one of similar quality so I didnt mind
paying the $80. When she outgrows the design I can strip it and redo it for
her and when she leaves, I can strip it and redo it and use it for something
else. The same with the desk I bought, it will last eons and when she is
done, all I need to do is repaint it for the next child or use it as a
sewing table or something.

If they need cheap furniture when they leave, we will get it then. I cant
imagine it lasting from now till they turn 18 anyway.

My mother has done some really nice pieces, she should open a shop. I have
seen people sell ones that werent half as nice as hers, for $600 or so. She
made nice wardrobes for my nieces, she found them at estate sales and/or
auctions. She used a china cabinet for my nephews stuff when he was born,
then when he and my sister moved, she used it for china.

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:15 PM
"silvasurfa" > wrote
> Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
> with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
> angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in
their
> early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour
in
> their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.

I buy my stuff w/the intention of keeping it forever and perhaps passing
down/over to other kids. My daughters chest was $80 used, but it would have
been $400 or so if I'd gotten a new one of similar quality so I didnt mind
paying the $80. When she outgrows the design I can strip it and redo it for
her and when she leaves, I can strip it and redo it and use it for something
else. The same with the desk I bought, it will last eons and when she is
done, all I need to do is repaint it for the next child or use it as a
sewing table or something.

If they need cheap furniture when they leave, we will get it then. I cant
imagine it lasting from now till they turn 18 anyway.

My mother has done some really nice pieces, she should open a shop. I have
seen people sell ones that werent half as nice as hers, for $600 or so. She
made nice wardrobes for my nieces, she found them at estate sales and/or
auctions. She used a china cabinet for my nephews stuff when he was born,
then when he and my sister moved, she used it for china.

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:19 PM
"silvasurfa" > wrote in message

> "Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT
> > "Nina" > wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > this is the baby I
> > > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
> > <snip>
> >
> > Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."
>
> Nah. So long as you are treating them the same by age 18 months or so,
they
> won't notice at all. Kids don't remember much before then, so an older
child
> is unlikely to think "hey hang on... I never had a change table, they
> changed me on the bed! Unfair!" . While the baby is still a baby she can
> wallow to her heart's content in designer onesies or whatever else it is
an
> indulged baby gets given nowadays.

Sadly, my cheap gene is taking over. My indulgence will be that I am able to
spend more money sewing and decorating, because I STILL am not going out
there spending money. *sigh* My one indulgence is that we own the house, so
I can paint to my hearts content and have been working hard at converting
the kids rooms to Nice Places. (the teenagers resist, but at least I can get
the little ones to comply)

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:19 PM
"silvasurfa" > wrote in message

> "Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT
> > "Nina" > wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > this is the baby I
> > > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
> > <snip>
> >
> > Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."
>
> Nah. So long as you are treating them the same by age 18 months or so,
they
> won't notice at all. Kids don't remember much before then, so an older
child
> is unlikely to think "hey hang on... I never had a change table, they
> changed me on the bed! Unfair!" . While the baby is still a baby she can
> wallow to her heart's content in designer onesies or whatever else it is
an
> indulged baby gets given nowadays.

Sadly, my cheap gene is taking over. My indulgence will be that I am able to
spend more money sewing and decorating, because I STILL am not going out
there spending money. *sigh* My one indulgence is that we own the house, so
I can paint to my hearts content and have been working hard at converting
the kids rooms to Nice Places. (the teenagers resist, but at least I can get
the little ones to comply)

Heather Jones
July 18th 03, 09:52 PM
Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
: "Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
: ...
:> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT
:> "Nina" > wrote:
:> <snip>
:> > this is the baby I
:> > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
:> <snip>
:> Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."
: There is an 8 year gap between the youngest, I suspect this won't be an
: issue.

There's an almost 6 year gap between me and the next-youngest (I'm the
youngest), and there was still tons of sibling rivalry, even when she
was in college and I was in high school. "If you buy her a car, I'll
hate you forever!"

--heather

--
Heather Jones heather_jones(at)pobox(dot)com
http://www.haphazard.org http://hap.livejournal.com

:> "Nina" > wrote:
:> <snip>
:> > this is the baby I
:> > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other 2)
:> <snip>
:> Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."
: There is an 8 year gap between the youngest, I suspect this won't be an
: issue.

There's an almost 6 year gap between me and the next-youngest (I'm the
youngest), and there was still tons of sibling rivalry, even when she
was in college and I was in high school. "If you buy her a car, I'll
hate you forever!"

--heather

--
Heather Jones heather_jones(at)pobox(dot)com
http://www.haphazard.org http://hap.livejournal.com

Nina
July 18th 03, 10:09 PM
"Heather Jones" > wrote in message
rg...
> Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> : "Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT
> :> "Nina" > wrote:
> :> <snip>
> :> > this is the baby I
> :> > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other
2)
> :> <snip>
> :> Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."
> : There is an 8 year gap between the youngest, I suspect this won't be an
> : issue.
>
> There's an almost 6 year gap between me and the next-youngest (I'm the
> youngest), and there was still tons of sibling rivalry, even when she
> was in college and I was in high school. "If you buy her a car, I'll
> hate you forever!"

I'm sure we will have some, it simply won't be over who was more spoiled and
indulged as an infant. Maybe when the baby is 10 and the current baby is 18,
we will have some ,"why cant i have car just cuz you have to pay her
private school tuition" fights. Or "Hey, when I was 16 you didnt buy me a
*fill in the blank*", but I think the differences in ages will prevent tooo
much of that from happening, just because they wont REMEMBER what it was
like "to be able to compare.
Nina
hoping!

Nina
July 18th 03, 10:09 PM
"Heather Jones" > wrote in message
rg...
> Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> : "Albert Wagner" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:51:02 GMT
> :> "Nina" > wrote:
> :> <snip>
> :> > this is the baby I
> :> > intended to spoil (being older and not BROKE like I was w/the other
2)
> :> <snip>
> :> Uh Oh. I smell sibling rivalry: "Mom loved you best."
> : There is an 8 year gap between the youngest, I suspect this won't be an
> : issue.
>
> There's an almost 6 year gap between me and the next-youngest (I'm the
> youngest), and there was still tons of sibling rivalry, even when she
> was in college and I was in high school. "If you buy her a car, I'll
> hate you forever!"

I'm sure we will have some, it simply won't be over who was more spoiled and
indulged as an infant. Maybe when the baby is 10 and the current baby is 18,
we will have some ,"why cant i have car just cuz you have to pay her
private school tuition" fights. Or "Hey, when I was 16 you didnt buy me a
*fill in the blank*", but I think the differences in ages will prevent tooo
much of that from happening, just because they wont REMEMBER what it was
like "to be able to compare.
Nina
hoping!

Heather Jones
July 18th 03, 11:21 PM
Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
: "Heather Jones" > wrote in message
: rg...
:> There's an almost 6 year gap between me and the next-youngest (I'm the
:> youngest), and there was still tons of sibling rivalry, even when she
:> was in college and I was in high school. "If you buy her a car, I'll
:> hate you forever!"
: I'm sure we will have some, it simply won't be over who was more spoiled and
: indulged as an infant. Maybe when the baby is 10 and the current baby is 18,
: we will have some ,"why cant i have car just cuz you have to pay her
: private school tuition" fights. Or "Hey, when I was 16 you didnt buy me a
: *fill in the blank*", but I think the differences in ages will prevent tooo
: much of that from happening, just because they wont REMEMBER what it was
: like "to be able to compare.

I hear that my sister was jealous of me from the time I was a baby, and
it continued for a long time, and we had at least normal (maybe more)
sibling rivalry going on for quite a while. The other kids and I got
along just fine, so the theory is that she got used to being "the baby"
(for almost 6 years) and that's why she didn't like me so much.

I'm not saying that will happen with your children, it's just the way it
was for us. You could probably do a lot to make sure that it doesn't
happen, even.

Oh, but now that we're both adults, we get along just fine.

--heather

--
[...]

July 19th 03, 02:01 AM
"Heather Jones" > wrote in message
rg...
> Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> : "Heather Jones" > wrote in message
> : rg...
> :> There's an almost 6 year gap between me and the next-youngest (I'm the
> :> youngest), and there was still tons of sibling rivalry, even when she
> :> was in college and I was in high school. "If you buy her a car, I'll
> :> hate you forever!"
> : I'm sure we will have some, it simply won't be over who was more spoiled
and
> : indulged as an infant. Maybe when the baby is 10 and the current baby is
18,
> : we will have some ,"why cant i have car just cuz you have to pay her
> : private school tuition" fights. Or "Hey, when I was 16 you didnt buy me
> : *fill in the blank*", but I think the differences in ages will prevent
tooo
> : much of that from happening, just because they wont REMEMBER what it was
> : like "to be able to compare.
>
> I hear that my sister was jealous of me from the time I was a baby, and
> it continued for a long time, and we had at least normal (maybe more)
> sibling rivalry going on for quite a while. The other kids and I got
> along just fine, so the theory is that she got used to being "the baby"
> (for almost 6 years) and that's why she didn't like me so much.
>
> I'm not saying that will happen with your children, it's just the way it
> was for us. You could probably do a lot to make sure that it doesn't
> happen, even.

Interesting. I suspect that an 8 year old is at a different stage than a 6
year old and would probably react differently. Plus, this one isnt at all
the baby, she is quite bossy and cant wait to have a baby to boss around.
My 10 year old is autistic, so the 8 year old has taken on the role of his
protector/caretaker. sometimes she thinks SHE Is the oldest. I have a
feeling she will be one of the rest of the doting older people trying to
spoil this creature rotten, already she points out things in the store that
the baby needs and tries to make sure I am doing my job!!

Nina
July 19th 03, 02:01 AM
"Heather Jones" > wrote in message
rg...
> Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> : "Heather Jones" > wrote in message
> : rg...
> :> There's an almost 6 year gap between me and the next-youngest (I'm the
> :> youngest), and there was still tons of sibling rivalry, even when she
> :> was in college and I was in high school. "If you buy her a car, I'll
> :> hate you forever!"
> : I'm sure we will have some, it simply won't be over who was more spoiled
and
> : indulged as an infant. Maybe when the baby is 10 and the current baby is
18,
> : we will have some ,"why cant i have car just cuz you have to pay her
> : private school tuition" fights. Or "Hey, when I was 16 you didnt buy me
> : *fill in the blank*", but I think the differences in ages will prevent
tooo
> : much of that from happening, just because they wont REMEMBER what it was
> : like "to be able to compare.
>
> I hear that my sister was jealous of me from the time I was a baby, and
> it continued for a long time, and we had at least normal (maybe more)
> sibling rivalry going on for quite a while. The other kids and I got
> along just fine, so the theory is that she got used to being "the baby"
> (for almost 6 years) and that's why she didn't like me so much.
>
> I'm not saying that will happen with your children, it's just the way it
> was for us. You could probably do a lot to make sure that it doesn't
> happen, even.

Interesting. I suspect that an 8 year old is at a different stage than a 6
year old and would probably react differently. Plus, this one isnt at all
the baby, she is quite bossy and cant wait to have a baby to boss around.
My 10 year old is autistic, so the 8 year old has taken on the role of his
protector/caretaker. sometimes she thinks SHE Is the oldest. I have a
feeling she will be one of the rest of the doting older people trying to
spoil this creature rotten, already she points out things in the store that
the baby needs and tries to make sure I am doing my job!!

Nina
July 19th 03, 07:19 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:09:05 GMT, "Nina" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm sure we will have some, it simply won't be over who was more spoiled
and
> >indulged as an infant. Maybe when the baby is 10 and the current baby is
18,
> >we will have some ,"why cant i have car just cuz you have to pay her
> >private school tuition" fights. Or "Hey, when I was 16 you didnt buy me a
> >*fill in the blank*", but I think the differences in ages will prevent
tooo
> >much of that from happening, just because they wont REMEMBER what it was
> >like "to be able to compare.
>
> There is an 8 year difference between my oldest and her next younger
> sibling. There was some rivalry/jealousy over the extra attention
> paid to the younger ones at the same time that we were expecting the
> oldest to become more independent and helpful. But that mostly went
> away when she turned 13 and started babysitting the little ones (and
> getting paid for it). Then she started being almost like a junior
> parent. Now, my oldest is 18, learning about being an adult and will
> be off to college in the fall. We are losing our most dependable
> babysitter!

Thats good to know. Based on the behavior of this 8 year old, I suspect I
will have to pry her away from the baby. I rather imagine she and the 14
year old will fight over who gets to coddle it the most, despite my attempts
to keep her a child she has been very very dedicated to what she sees as her
job- taking care of her brother. The funny thing is that he is 2 years older
than her and pretty self-sufficient, but since he isnt very verbal she
bosses him and speaks for him etc. A new baby? A new PERSON TO BOSS?? I
imagine she will be in heaven.
The dog, however, will probably commit suicide.

Nina
July 19th 03, 07:19 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:09:05 GMT, "Nina" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm sure we will have some, it simply won't be over who was more spoiled
and
> >indulged as an infant. Maybe when the baby is 10 and the current baby is
18,
> >we will have some ,"why cant i have car just cuz you have to pay her
> >private school tuition" fights. Or "Hey, when I was 16 you didnt buy me a
> >*fill in the blank*", but I think the differences in ages will prevent
tooo
> >much of that from happening, just because they wont REMEMBER what it was
> >like "to be able to compare.
>
> There is an 8 year difference between my oldest and her next younger
> sibling. There was some rivalry/jealousy over the extra attention
> paid to the younger ones at the same time that we were expecting the
> oldest to become more independent and helpful. But that mostly went
> away when she turned 13 and started babysitting the little ones (and
> getting paid for it). Then she started being almost like a junior
> parent. Now, my oldest is 18, learning about being an adult and will
> be off to college in the fall. We are losing our most dependable
> babysitter!

Thats good to know. Based on the behavior of this 8 year old, I suspect I
will have to pry her away from the baby. I rather imagine she and the 14
year old will fight over who gets to coddle it the most, despite my attempts
to keep her a child she has been very very dedicated to what she sees as her
job- taking care of her brother. The funny thing is that he is 2 years older
than her and pretty self-sufficient, but since he isnt very verbal she
bosses him and speaks for him etc. A new baby? A new PERSON TO BOSS?? I
imagine she will be in heaven.
The dog, however, will probably commit suicide.

Elizabeth Jones
July 20th 03, 04:17 AM
In article >,
Karen Wheless > wrote:
>> Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
>> with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
>> angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in their
>> early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour in
>> their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.
>
>My parents bought unfinished furniture for my room when I was born, and
>I still have the chest of drawers in my bedroom now, 33 years later.
>It's beginning to break at the bottom from being pushed and pulled out
>from the wall over the years, but it's still in nice shape for being so
>old. It was even used as a changing table when I was a baby, since it
>was just the right size and shape.

I'd never even thought of this before, buying furniture for your
kids that would be something they could keep forever. It seems like
a good idea. Strangely enough, I have an ancient oak marble-top
dresser and matching mirror that my parents dug out of an uncle's
barn that I've had since I was a tot. My parents were ahead of
their time!

--
Ebeth Jones
"a ranch style imbues our next listing" -- realtor-speak

Elizabeth Jones
July 20th 03, 04:17 AM
In article >,
Karen Wheless > wrote:
>> Mostly I buy kids' furniture with an eye towards it being OK to send away
>> with kids when they grow up and leave home... which means nothing I'd get
>> angry about the kid losing if the kid abandoned it at a share house in their
>> early 20's, and nothing I'd get upset about a kid painting a weird colour in
>> their mid teens. Cheap, light, sturdy and unremarkable furniture.
>
>My parents bought unfinished furniture for my room when I was born, and
>I still have the chest of drawers in my bedroom now, 33 years later.
>It's beginning to break at the bottom from being pushed and pulled out
>from the wall over the years, but it's still in nice shape for being so
>old. It was even used as a changing table when I was a baby, since it
>was just the right size and shape.

I'd never even thought of this before, buying furniture for your
kids that would be something they could keep forever. It seems like
a good idea. Strangely enough, I have an ancient oak marble-top
dresser and matching mirror that my parents dug out of an uncle's
barn that I've had since I was a tot. My parents were ahead of
their time!

--
Ebeth Jones
"a ranch style imbues our next listing" -- realtor-speak

Google