PDA

View Full Version : computer program to track spending

I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!

Steve

Joe Agro
July 18th 03, 12:49 PM
Microsoft Excel - Almost every Windows based PC has it these days, don't
they?

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 26: http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

$0.03 bargain: http://tinyurl.com/9sz6
"X" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
> income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
> being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
> expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
> amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
> angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
> sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!
>
> Steve

Joe Agro
July 18th 03, 12:49 PM
Microsoft Excel - Almost every Windows based PC has it these days, don't
they?

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 26: http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

$0.03 bargain: http://tinyurl.com/9sz6
"X" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
> income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
> being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
> expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
> amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
> angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
> sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!
>
> Steve

Kirby
July 18th 03, 08:32 PM
"X" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
> income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
> being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
> expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
> amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
> angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
> sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!
>
> Steve

I got Microsoft Money 98 for $3 at a dollar store once

Kirby
July 18th 03, 08:32 PM
"X" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
> income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
> being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
> expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
> amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
> angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
> sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!
>
> Steve

I got Microsoft Money 98 for $3 at a dollar store once

timeOday
July 21st 03, 01:35 AM
Pat Meadows wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2003 01:55:52 -0700, (X)
> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
>>income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
>>being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
>>expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
>>amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
>>angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
>>sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!
>>

> This isn't exactly responsive to your question, but I'd
> recommend you get Quicken. I think it's very good software
> for this purpose.

.... and although it's not quite free, you can get it extremely cheap soon
before they release the new one. Though if you want it to help with taxes
that might not be such a bargain.

timeOday
July 21st 03, 01:35 AM
Pat Meadows wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2003 01:55:52 -0700, (X)
> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
>>income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
>>being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
>>expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
>>amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
>>angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
>>sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!
>>

> This isn't exactly responsive to your question, but I'd
> recommend you get Quicken. I think it's very good software
> for this purpose.

.... and although it's not quite free, you can get it extremely cheap soon
before they release the new one. Though if you want it to help with taxes
that might not be such a bargain.

Karen Wheless
July 21st 03, 03:45 AM
> >>I'm looking for a freeware, or nagware computer program to track my
> >>income, and spending. I'd like to be able to see where my money is
> >>being spent, and see if there is any way to use it to itemize some
> >>expenses for tax credits this fall. I'd also like to keep track of the
> >>amount of taxes that I pay, but that would probably only make me
> >>angry. Federal tax, State Tax, County tax, City tax, home/school tax,
> >>sales tax, gas tax, cell phone tax, capital gains tax. Argh!!!
> >>

> > This isn't exactly responsive to your question, but I'd
> > recommend you get Quicken. I think it's very good software
> > for this purpose.
>
> ... and although it's not quite free, you can get it extremely cheap soon
> before they release the new one. Though if you want it to help with taxes
> that might not be such a bargain.

Any version of Quicken will allow you to keep track of items for tax
purposes. And as far as I know, none of them really deal with the
specifics of tax eligibility - for that, you need a specific tax program
(like TaxCut, TurboTax, etc.) although you can usually export Quicken
files directly to the tax program.

Personally, I'd be wary of using a freeware or shareware program for
financial records unless it's been around a long time. A few years down
the road, you may find that the program has been discontinued, and if
you upgrade your computer, you can't run it any more. Then you will
have all your records in an obsolete format. At least, I would want to
get a program that can export records in a format that's compatible with
Quicken and/or Money.

An older version of Quicken will be just as cheap as shareware and
you'll always be able to get your records out.

Karen

J. Bruce Fields
July 21st 03, 03:14 PM
In article >,
Karen Wheless > wrote:
>Personally, I'd be wary of using a freeware or shareware program for
>financial records unless it's been around a long time. A few years down
>the road, you may find that the program has been discontinued, and if
>you upgrade your computer, you can't run it any more. Then you will
>have all your records in an obsolete format.

A guy named Richard Stallman makes what I think is an important
distinction between software that is "free as in beer" and software that
is "free as in freedom". (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).
Software that is free in the latter sense gives users the freedom to
use, modify, and redistribute it as they please. Such software has the
advantage that your license to use it can never be taken away, and that
the software may continue to be maintained even if every author who
originally developed it drops off the face of the earth, as long as
there are still a few users with the time and skill necessary to
maintain it.

(But, obviously, much "freeware", and all "shareware", fails to be free
in this sense. One example of a decent financial program that is free
is gnucash (http://www.gnucash.org/. Alas, there seems to be no Windows
port, so you need Mac OS X, linux, BSD, or something unix-like to run it
on).)

>At least, I would want to get a program that can export records in a
>format that's compatible with Quicken and/or Money.

The disadvantages to keeping all your financial records in a proprietary
format that is controlled by a single company should also be obvious.

--Bruce Fields

Google