PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 'update' causing me grief...

Slugbug
July 18th 03, 03:42 PM
Recently, I installed Windows ME on this computer system, since XP was
simply running too slow. Everything sped up, and the system worked quite
well. However, I made the mistake of letting windows download and install
the windows update. This updated Internet Explorer, among other things.

Now I've noticed that every time I go to Yahoo email and I try to delete
a page of spam, it always comes up and prompts me. "Are you sure you want
to delete all the selected items?" You can imagine how much spam I get,
so I now have to go through this extra step about half a dozen times each
time I check my email. I have looked through internet options, but can't
seem to find a way to disable this.

I know that this doesn't pertain directly to frugality, but after all,
time is money, right? I'm trying to save time in this instance, and it
really bugs me when they make you go through an extra step to do something
that used to be easier. I am hoping that someone out there knows how to
disable this 'feature' that someone at Microsoft thought we would all
like.

Thanks,

Slugbug

SJF
July 19th 03, 12:15 AM
"Slugbug" > wrote in message
> Recently, I installed Windows ME on this computer system, since XP was
> simply running too slow. Everything sped up, and the system worked quite
> well. However, I made the mistake of letting windows download and install
> the windows update. This updated Internet Explorer, among other things.
>
> Now I've noticed that every time I go to Yahoo email and I try to delete
> a page of spam, it always comes up and prompts me. "Are you sure you want
> to delete all the selected items?" You can imagine how much spam I get,
> so I now have to go through this extra step about half a dozen times each
> time I check my email. I have looked through internet options, but can't
> seem to find a way to disable this.
>
> I know that this doesn't pertain directly to frugality, but after all,
> time is money, right? I'm trying to save time in this instance, and it
> really bugs me when they make you go through an extra step to do something
> that used to be easier. I am hoping that someone out there knows how to
> disable this 'feature' that someone at Microsoft thought we would all
> like.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Slugbug
======================
1. Right click on Recycle Bin
2. Click Properties
3. Click Global
4. Enter check mark at "Do not move files to Recycle Bin.........."

I don't use this but it should solve your need.

SJF

SJF
July 19th 03, 12:15 AM

======================
1. Right click on Recycle Bin
2. Click Properties
3. Click Global
4. Enter check mark at "Do not move files to Recycle Bin.........."

I don't use this but it should solve your need.

SJF

July 19th 03, 01:40 AM
On 18 Jul 2003 16:15:23 -0700, (Mike W. Goos) wrote:

>Slugbug > wrote in message >...
>> Recently, I installed Windows ME on this computer system, since XP was
>> simply running too slow. Everything sped up, and the system worked quite
>> well. However, I made the mistake of letting windows download and install
>> the windows update. This updated Internet Explorer, among other things.
>>
>> Now I've noticed that every time I go to Yahoo email and I try to delete
>> a page of spam, it always comes up and prompts me. "Are you sure you want
>> to delete all the selected items?" You can imagine how much spam I get,
>> so I now have to go through this extra step about half a dozen times each
>> time I check my email. I have looked through internet options, but can't
>> seem to find a way to disable this.

Check the options you have selected under "general preferences" for
your Yahoo account? There is a section at the bottom of the page
(under "message actions") to "warn" you about deleting ALL messages.

>> I know that this doesn't pertain directly to frugality, but after all,
>> time is money, right? I'm trying to save time in this instance, and it
>> really bugs me when they make you go through an extra step to do something
>> that used to be easier. I am hoping that someone out there knows how to
>> disable this 'feature' that someone at Microsoft thought we would all
>> like.

If you really want to save time, instead of deleting the "spam" a page
at a time, try moving the messages you want to keep into another
folder, then delete the entire contents of the inbox.

>Apparently, this is something added by Yahoo. I started getting it
>last week, and I access via two different computers, both running
>Netscape, and it started happening on both at the same time. Ah, the
>joys of javascript/active scripting..........

July 19th 03, 01:40 AM
On 18 Jul 2003 16:15:23 -0700, (Mike W. Goos) wrote:

>Slugbug > wrote in message >...
>> Recently, I installed Windows ME on this computer system, since XP was
>> simply running too slow. Everything sped up, and the system worked quite
>> well. However, I made the mistake of letting windows download and install
>> the windows update. This updated Internet Explorer, among other things.
>>
>> Now I've noticed that every time I go to Yahoo email and I try to delete
>> a page of spam, it always comes up and prompts me. "Are you sure you want
>> to delete all the selected items?" You can imagine how much spam I get,
>> so I now have to go through this extra step about half a dozen times each
>> time I check my email. I have looked through internet options, but can't
>> seem to find a way to disable this.

Check the options you have selected under "general preferences" for
your Yahoo account? There is a section at the bottom of the page
(under "message actions") to "warn" you about deleting ALL messages.

>> I know that this doesn't pertain directly to frugality, but after all,
>> time is money, right? I'm trying to save time in this instance, and it
>> really bugs me when they make you go through an extra step to do something
>> that used to be easier. I am hoping that someone out there knows how to
>> disable this 'feature' that someone at Microsoft thought we would all
>> like.

If you really want to save time, instead of deleting the "spam" a page
at a time, try moving the messages you want to keep into another
folder, then delete the entire contents of the inbox.

>Apparently, this is something added by Yahoo. I started getting it
>last week, and I access via two different computers, both running
>Netscape, and it started happening on both at the same time. Ah, the
>joys of javascript/active scripting..........

Google