PDA

View Full Version : Cheap PDA alert! (Palm Zire - $44.99)

Slugbug
July 18th 03, 04:38 PM
Hi! Just thought I would pass along the word. I found a website,
overstock.com, selling the Palm Zire PDA (personal digital assistant) for
$45. Shipping is also very reasonable, less than $3.

My Father-in-law bought an entertainment system a couple of months back,
and they threw this in to sweeten (and close) the deal. He didn't really
want it, but he knows that I write product reviews for a local trade
magazine (Dayton Microcomputer Association), so he gave it to me to play
with.

I have to say, I've been pretty impressed with it. It has a built in
Lithium-ion battery, so you never have to mess with batteries at all.
After charging it once, I have used it for about an hour and a half each
day for the past week, and yet the battery indicator barely showed any
usage. After hooking it up to the USB cable to transfer some programs
from the Internet to it, it had actually recharged itself enough to be
back to a full charge. Here are the specs, if you are interested:

160x160 pixel monochrome display
2MB internal memory
infrared port (you can use this as a remote control 4 almost anything!)
USB hotsync cable
Palm OS 4.1

built in functions include:
Address book
Date book
Clock
To-do list
Memo pad
Expense records
Note pad
Calculator
Mine Hunt, Puzzle, Giraffe, and other games

Also has AC charging cable. Unit can charge fully in 3 hours from either
the USB cable or the AC adapter.

I was able to find hundreds of shareware and freeware programs online.
One of these is an excellent mortgage program that shows how much interest
you will pay on a home mortgage, and allows you to play with the interest
rate, down payment, loan length (months), etc. We are house hunting, so
this comes in handy when we think about the various ways to finance a
house. There was also a great selection of scientific, financial and
other calculators to download, many for free, which gave the unit the
capabilities of some of the calculators I've seen selling for $50 by
themselves.

I also found free ebook reader software. Since there are hundreds,
perhaps thousands of free ebooks available online, this means you could
always have a book to read. There was also a good genealogy program that
you could use to update your family tree information when you go to visit
relatives.

I have to admit, the main draw that I found with the unit is the ability
to play games on the road. There are literally hundreds of good freeware
and shareware games out there. On long cross country drives, it is great
to be able to play a few games of Othello, chess, minesweeper, hangman,
hexwar, and others. My wife and I switch driving duties every couple of
hours, and a few times it seemed like I had just gotten started playing
when it was time for me to drive again.

Sure, it doesn't have the flashy color screen of some of the newer
PDA's, but it also doesn't have a short battery life. It would probably
make a great gift for someone who forgets appointments, since it has a
built in alarm to remind the user of birthdays, business appointments, or
whatever. Just thought I would pass this along, since it seems like a
very good deal.

Slugbug

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 05:57 PM
I have a Handspring Treo 90 (color, keypad, no phone). Its onboard LiO
battery is rated for 10 days. In reality I can use it regularly and get
about 30 hours of uptime. It recharges in under an hour unless the battery
is absolutely flat. I rarely have a flat battery, as I synch daily to
protect my data, and the handheld charges on the cable during data transfer.

"George" > wrote in message

> I like and use a Palm device that is monochrome and I do not consider it a
> problem. I think a portable device is useless unless it has good battery
> life. I don't think any current portable color devices have good battery
> life.

J. Bruce Fields
July 18th 03, 06:00 PM
>"Slugbug" > wrote in message
>> Hi! Just thought I would pass along the word. I found a website,
>> overstock.com, selling the Palm Zire PDA (personal digital assistant) for
>> $45. Shipping is also very reasonable, less than $3.

That sounds like a good deal, but note that these aren't really new (for
example, they don't come with a warranty from Palm).

>> Sure, it doesn't have the flashy color screen of some of the newer
>> PDA's, but it also doesn't have a short battery life. It would probably
>> make a great gift for someone who forgets appointments, since it has a
>> built in alarm to remind the user of birthdays, business appointments, or
>> whatever. Just thought I would pass this along, since it seems like a
>> very good deal.

In article >,
George > wrote:
>I like and use a Palm device that is monochrome and I do not consider it a
>problem.

Does the Zire screen have a backlight? My impression was that it
doesn't, which makes it considerably less useful.

--Bruce Fields

J. Bruce Fields
July 18th 03, 06:00 PM
>"Slugbug" > wrote in message
>> Hi! Just thought I would pass along the word. I found a website,
>> overstock.com, selling the Palm Zire PDA (personal digital assistant) for
>> $45. Shipping is also very reasonable, less than $3.

That sounds like a good deal, but note that these aren't really new (for
example, they don't come with a warranty from Palm).

>> Sure, it doesn't have the flashy color screen of some of the newer
>> PDA's, but it also doesn't have a short battery life. It would probably
>> make a great gift for someone who forgets appointments, since it has a
>> built in alarm to remind the user of birthdays, business appointments, or
>> whatever. Just thought I would pass this along, since it seems like a
>> very good deal.

In article >,
George > wrote:
>I like and use a Palm device that is monochrome and I do not consider it a
>problem.

Does the Zire screen have a backlight? My impression was that it
doesn't, which makes it considerably less useful.

--Bruce Fields

Google