PDA

View Full Version : Already unfrugal ducks become moreso

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 04:40 PM
Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has officially
been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
bird. I paid $50 to be told this and to be told that the bird will probably
be dead within six months if not sooner. Oh, and he recommended I change
their base foodstuff from 8% gamebird costing $8 per 50# bag to layer ration
which costs $15 per 40# bag. Apparently now that my ducks are "grownups"
they can handle more protein without developing slouch and angelwing and
other problems Runners are prone to having when fed too much protein as
ducklings.

silvasurfa
July 18th 03, 05:01 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has officially
> been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> bird. I paid $50 to be told this and to be told that the bird will
probably
> be dead within six months if not sooner.

Mmmm. Duck soup. Duck al a Orange. Peking duck. Time to make like nature
does and cull the runt.

silvasurfa
July 18th 03, 05:01 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has officially
> been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> bird. I paid $50 to be told this and to be told that the bird will
probably
> be dead within six months if not sooner.

Mmmm. Duck soup. Duck al a Orange. Peking duck. Time to make like nature
does and cull the runt.

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 05:41 PM
Not enough to bother with or I would. Would probably be enough there to
make duck stock but not much else...

"silvasurfa" > wrote in message

> "SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has
officially
> > been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> > bird. I paid $50 to be told this and to be told that the bird will
> probably
> > be dead within six months if not sooner.
>
> Mmmm. Duck soup. Duck al a Orange. Peking duck. Time to make like nature
> does and cull the runt.

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 05:41 PM
Not enough to bother with or I would. Would probably be enough there to
make duck stock but not much else...

"silvasurfa" > wrote in message

> "SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has
officially
> > been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> > bird. I paid $50 to be told this and to be told that the bird will
> probably
> > be dead within six months if not sooner.
>
> Mmmm. Duck soup. Duck al a Orange. Peking duck. Time to make like nature
> does and cull the runt.

L. Maurer
July 18th 03, 05:43 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:40:41 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> wrote:

>Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has officially
>been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
>bird.

Remind me why you wanted ducks.

mama

L. Maurer
July 18th 03, 05:43 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:40:41 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> wrote:

>Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has officially
>been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
>bird.

Remind me why you wanted ducks.

mama

Nina
July 18th 03, 05:47 PM
Time to roast Mr. Ducky!

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has officially
> been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> bird. I paid $50 to be told this and to be told that the bird will
probably
> be dead within six months if not sooner. Oh, and he recommended I change
> their base foodstuff from 8% gamebird costing $8 per 50# bag to layer
ration
> which costs $15 per 40# bag. Apparently now that my ducks are "grownups"
> they can handle more protein without developing slouch and angelwing and
> other problems Runners are prone to having when fed too much protein as
> ducklings.

Nina
July 18th 03, 05:47 PM
Time to roast Mr. Ducky!

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has officially
> been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> bird. I paid $50 to be told this and to be told that the bird will
probably
> be dead within six months if not sooner. Oh, and he recommended I change
> their base foodstuff from 8% gamebird costing $8 per 50# bag to layer
ration
> which costs $15 per 40# bag. Apparently now that my ducks are "grownups"
> they can handle more protein without developing slouch and angelwing and
> other problems Runners are prone to having when fed too much protein as
> ducklings.

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 06:03 PM
Eggs.

"L. Maurer" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:40:41 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> > wrote:
>
> >Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has
officially
> >been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> >bird.
>
> Remind me why you wanted ducks.
>
> mama

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 06:03 PM
Eggs.

"L. Maurer" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:40:41 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> > wrote:
>
> >Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has
officially
> >been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> >bird.
>
> Remind me why you wanted ducks.
>
> mama

Nina
July 18th 03, 06:17 PM
Just because you wanted duck eggs, or because it seemed frugal?

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Eggs.
>
> "L. Maurer" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:40:41 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has
> officially
> > >been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> > >bird.
> >
> > Remind me why you wanted ducks.
> >
> > mama

Nina
July 18th 03, 06:17 PM
Just because you wanted duck eggs, or because it seemed frugal?

"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Eggs.
>
> "L. Maurer" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:40:41 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Well, the runt duck about which I posted sometime last week has
> officially
> > >been diagnosed with "the worst heart murmur" my vet has ever heard in a
> > >bird.
> >
> > Remind me why you wanted ducks.
> >
> > mama

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 07:05 PM
Because I want FRESH eggs, and I hate chickens :) We established several
weeks ago that DIY eggs aren't very frugal, I'm simply commenting that it
can (and did) get worse.

"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just because you wanted duck eggs, or because it seemed frugal?
>
> "SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Eggs.

SlinkyToy
July 18th 03, 07:05 PM
Because I want FRESH eggs, and I hate chickens :) We established several
weeks ago that DIY eggs aren't very frugal, I'm simply commenting that it
can (and did) get worse.

"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just because you wanted duck eggs, or because it seemed frugal?
>
> "SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Eggs.

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:01 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Because I want FRESH eggs, and I hate chickens :) We established several
> weeks ago that DIY eggs aren't very frugal, I'm simply commenting that it
> can (and did) get worse.

I didn't read that, so wasn't sure of your reasons for raising ducks for
eggs. Sometimes we do things for the helluvit, frugal or not, wasn't sure if
this was the case.

Nina
July 18th 03, 09:01 PM
"SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
. ..
> Because I want FRESH eggs, and I hate chickens :) We established several
> weeks ago that DIY eggs aren't very frugal, I'm simply commenting that it
> can (and did) get worse.

I didn't read that, so wasn't sure of your reasons for raising ducks for
eggs. Sometimes we do things for the helluvit, frugal or not, wasn't sure if
this was the case.

Dennis
July 19th 03, 07:01 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:39:00 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> wrote:

>(frugal) Inquiring Minds want to know:
>Why would you even bother taking this runt to the vet, knowing you'd have to
>pay for advice/treatment.....???

Must be more pet than livestock. I certainly would never take one of
our chickens to the vet -- Dr. Chopping Block doesn't charge anything
and clucks are easily replacable.

BTW, we lost our first chicken to a predator a couple days ago. A
pile of feathers in the yard and one beak short at bedcheck. Don't
know if it was an eagle, coyote, stray dog or what. As near as we can
tell, the crime occured in broad daylight (while everyone was away and
our Doberman was locked in the house). Fortunately, it was a rooster
-- one less for me to butcher.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 19th 03, 07:01 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:39:00 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> wrote:

>(frugal) Inquiring Minds want to know:
>Why would you even bother taking this runt to the vet, knowing you'd have to
>pay for advice/treatment.....???

Must be more pet than livestock. I certainly would never take one of
our chickens to the vet -- Dr. Chopping Block doesn't charge anything
and clucks are easily replacable.

BTW, we lost our first chicken to a predator a couple days ago. A
pile of feathers in the yard and one beak short at bedcheck. Don't
know if it was an eagle, coyote, stray dog or what. As near as we can
tell, the crime occured in broad daylight (while everyone was away and
our Doberman was locked in the house). Fortunately, it was a rooster
-- one less for me to butcher.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

rigby4
July 20th 03, 04:22 PM
Ok, here's a serious question. If you get double-yolk eggs, do you ever get
twin chicks hatched out of the same shell?

"Dennis" > wrote in message
Fortunately, it was a rooster
> -- one less for me to butcher.
>
> the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

Tsu Dho Poster
July 20th 03, 04:53 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message news:uqtihv4d9i5o05vmkm
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:39:00 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
>

> BTW, we lost our first chicken to a predator a couple days ago. A
> pile of feathers in the yard and one beak short at bedcheck. Don't
> know if it was an eagle, coyote, stray dog or what. As near as we can
> tell, the crime occured in broad daylight (while everyone was away and
> our Doberman was locked in the house). Fortunately, it was a rooster
> -- one less for me to butcher.

Is it a crime if the predator didn't know it was against the law ??
Fascinating stuff.....to a city slicker....do you actually ever see eagles
or coyotes or just know they're around that neck of the woods...?
cudda been a desperate unemployed IT worker.....

Tsu Dho Poster
July 20th 03, 04:53 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message news:uqtihv4d9i5o05vmkm
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:39:00 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
>

> BTW, we lost our first chicken to a predator a couple days ago. A
> pile of feathers in the yard and one beak short at bedcheck. Don't
> know if it was an eagle, coyote, stray dog or what. As near as we can
> tell, the crime occured in broad daylight (while everyone was away and
> our Doberman was locked in the house). Fortunately, it was a rooster
> -- one less for me to butcher.

Is it a crime if the predator didn't know it was against the law ??
Fascinating stuff.....to a city slicker....do you actually ever see eagles
or coyotes or just know they're around that neck of the woods...?
cudda been a desperate unemployed IT worker.....

JonquilJan
July 20th 03, 05:51 PM
One of the reasons extra large eggs are not incubated. Eggs are checked for
double yolks before being incubated (at least by companies in the business).
Don't know if there would be two chicks or not but the chances of
deformities would be more so they just aren't used.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
rigby4 > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ok, here's a serious question. If you get double-yolk eggs, do you ever
get
> twin chicks hatched out of the same shell?
>

> "Dennis" > wrote in message
> Fortunately, it was a rooster
> > -- one less for me to butcher.
> >
> > the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> > --
> > "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

JonquilJan
July 20th 03, 05:51 PM
One of the reasons extra large eggs are not incubated. Eggs are checked for
double yolks before being incubated (at least by companies in the business).
Don't know if there would be two chicks or not but the chances of
deformities would be more so they just aren't used.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
rigby4 > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ok, here's a serious question. If you get double-yolk eggs, do you ever
get
> twin chicks hatched out of the same shell?
>

> "Dennis" > wrote in message
> Fortunately, it was a rooster
> > -- one less for me to butcher.
> >
> > the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> > --
> > "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

Dennis
July 21st 03, 03:26 AM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:53:05 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> wrote:

>"Dennis" > wrote in message news:uqtihv4d9i5o05vmkm
>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:39:00 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
>>

>> BTW, we lost our first chicken to a predator a couple days ago. A
>> pile of feathers in the yard and one beak short at bedcheck. Don't
>> know if it was an eagle, coyote, stray dog or what. As near as we can
>> tell, the crime occured in broad daylight (while everyone was away and
>> our Doberman was locked in the house). Fortunately, it was a rooster
>> -- one less for me to butcher.
>>
>Is it a crime if the predator didn't know it was against the law ??

Ignorance of the law is no excuse! :-)
Let's just say that if I caught a raccoon, coyote or stray dog in the
act, the sentence would be death by firing squad. I'd give an eagle a
pardon, since they are protected and I like to watch them.

>Fascinating stuff.....to a city slicker....do you actually ever see eagles
>or coyotes or just know they're around that neck of the woods...?

Yep, I was watching a couple of golden eagles circling around just
before I came in and logged on. I am still struck when they pass low
and I realize that their wingspan is as wide as I am tall. I've seen
a few coyotes, but mostly hear them at night. I've twice seen a
bobcat, once in my backyard and once crossing the road as I drove to
work. There have been reports of cougars within a few miles on either
side of me, but I've not heard of any sightings in my neighborhood.
Same with black bears.

>cudda been a desperate unemployed IT worker.....

Nope, no weasels around here. :-)

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 22nd 03, 03:28 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message news:9bfmhv
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:53:05 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Dennis" > wrote in message news:uqtihv4d9i5o05vmkm
> >> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:39:00 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"

> >Is it a crime if the predator didn't know it was against the law ??
>
> Ignorance of the law is no excuse! :-)

LOL!

> >Fascinating stuff.....to a city slicker....do you actually ever see
eagles
> >or coyotes or just know they're around that neck of the woods...?
>
> Yep, I was watching a couple of golden eagles circling around just
> before I came in and logged on. I am still struck when they pass low
> and I realize that their wingspan is as wide as I am tall. I've seen
> a few coyotes, but mostly hear them at night. I've twice seen a
> bobcat, once in my backyard and once crossing the road as I drove to
> work. There have been reports of cougars within a few miles on either
> side of me, but I've not heard of any sightings in my neighborhood.
> Same with black bears.

Holy Schmoly! Sounds like yer in the boonies of Alaska..... I don't suppose
you ever got any pics of those monsterous eagles....I heard they look huge
....can't imagine a 6-foot wingspan. I never lived around wildlife...just
deer in N. Wisc....and 2-legged wildcats in bars....

Google