PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jacket Update!

Ray
July 19th 03, 02:32 AM
Fellow Frugal-ers:

First of all, thank you all that offered suggestions to me for getting rid of the yellow jacket nest and the yellow jacket sting. First of all, the swelling and pain has gone away on my hand. I tried a variety of suggestions that you all offered. The one that helped the most was the ice and Benadryl. Those two together took away the pain and kept the swelling down. However, the Benadryl made it hard for me to wake up in the mornings. It made me very drowsy.

Now about the stump. I called the fire department to see if I could burn the stump. They told me that I was not allowed to burn anything in this city. So, I had to go to plan "B". I brought 3 cans of yellow jacket spray, got dressed in my old military combat gear with a net over my head and went to fight. I first sprayed the stump down and then I aimed directly for the holes where I saw the yellow jackets emerging from. After the first two cans were empty, I got the 3rd bottle and hit the holes up-close. The yellow jackets didn't have a chance. I retreated without being stung and didn't see one for the rest of the day. I think I got them all. In a few days, I will grab a shovel and make sure they are dead.

Thanx again. I really do appreciate it.
--
Ray

Need a cell phone, fast internet service, or to register a domain name?
http://LD.net/?obtech

Create your own biz and have it up and running in less than two hours:
http://www.virtualheavenwebcenter.com

TomTom
July 19th 03, 03:34 AM
At home improvement stores you should be able to buy some "organic" stuff that basically will eat the stump (or cause it to rot quickly I think). All you need to do is drill a bunch of holes in the stump, pour this powder in them, and I think water it down and let it do it's thing. I've never used it personally but I've seen it work.

Might be good to look into.

"Ray" > wrote in message rthlink.net...
[...]

Gary Heston
July 19th 03, 04:14 AM
In article <[email protected]>, TomTom > wrote:

>At home improvement stores you should be able to buy some "organic"
>stuff that basically will eat the stump (or cause it to rot quickly I
>think). All you need to do is drill a bunch of holes in the stump, pour
>this powder in them, and I think water it down and let it do it's thing.
>I've never used it personally but I've seen it work.
[ ... ]

That's potassium nitrate, a.k.a. saltpeter, which someone else already
mentioned. I've used it; it doesn't work nearly as fast as the ads say
it will.

There's no easy solution; grind it at some expense, dig it out at the
cost of a lot of sweat, or let it rot at the cost of time and rough
ground. I need to work on my back yard, were some large pine trees were
for 40 years; the roots are still rotting out, and I have several holes
easily 6" deep from surface roots. This is after 10 years, and packing
the five locations with 14 bags of topsoil two years ago.

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."

Gary Heston
July 19th 03, 04:14 AM
In article <[email protected]>, TomTom > wrote:

>At home improvement stores you should be able to buy some "organic"
>stuff that basically will eat the stump (or cause it to rot quickly I
>think). All you need to do is drill a bunch of holes in the stump, pour
>this powder in them, and I think water it down and let it do it's thing.
>I've never used it personally but I've seen it work.
[ ... ]

That's potassium nitrate, a.k.a. saltpeter, which someone else already
mentioned. I've used it; it doesn't work nearly as fast as the ads say
it will.

There's no easy solution; grind it at some expense, dig it out at the
cost of a lot of sweat, or let it rot at the cost of time and rough
ground. I need to work on my back yard, were some large pine trees were
for 40 years; the roots are still rotting out, and I have several holes
easily 6" deep from surface roots. This is after 10 years, and packing
the five locations with 14 bags of topsoil two years ago.

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."
Wally: "Were we doing well?"
Dilbert, 5/23/3

Google