PDA

View Full Version : Walmaet Douglas ( hosue brand ) Tires ?

July 19th 03, 02:01 PM
I was look at buy some Douglas tires ( the "80,000 mi warranty model -
hasah ) at Walmart because of tire price , convenience, low mounting
balancing and road hazard warranty cost . Are these a good value ?

Christopher Green
July 19th 03, 10:45 PM
wrote in message >...
> I was look at buy some Douglas tires ( the "80,000 mi warranty model -
> hasah ) at Walmart because of tire price , convenience, low mounting
> balancing and road hazard warranty cost . Are these a good value ?

Douglas is a Kelly-Springfield (now part of Goodyear) brand. Whether
they are a good value depends on whether Wal-Mart's price (and the
quality of service you can expect from Wal-Mart, which varies greatly
depending on the individual store) is better or worse than local tire
dealers. Kelly-Springfield's off brands (Lee, Monarch, Hallmark, and
Star are the others) are generally good value, but don't compete with
high-performance tires.

--
Chris Green

Christopher Green
July 19th 03, 10:45 PM
wrote in message >...
> I was look at buy some Douglas tires ( the "80,000 mi warranty model -
> hasah ) at Walmart because of tire price , convenience, low mounting
> balancing and road hazard warranty cost . Are these a good value ?

Douglas is a Kelly-Springfield (now part of Goodyear) brand. Whether
they are a good value depends on whether Wal-Mart's price (and the
quality of service you can expect from Wal-Mart, which varies greatly
depending on the individual store) is better or worse than local tire
dealers. Kelly-Springfield's off brands (Lee, Monarch, Hallmark, and
Star are the others) are generally good value, but don't compete with
high-performance tires.

--
Chris Green

Peale
July 21st 03, 05:06 PM
scribbled furiously in news:3f193222.38165579
@news.myjoi.net:

> I was look at buy some Douglas tires ( the "80,000 mi warranty model -
> hasah ) at Walmart because of tire price , convenience, low mounting
> balancing and road hazard warranty cost . Are these a good value ?

I don't think I'll ever go to Wal-Mart for tires again.

I bought the Douglas brand tires once. After about 20,000 miles, the
whole car was shaking like mad at high speeds (55 mph). So I brought the
car to Wal-Mart, and said I'd like them rebalanced/rotated.

They said to me that the tires had worn thru in the inside, and the belts
had broken, and that it was caused by an improper alignment. That killed
any chance at warranty replacement. I really wasn't thinking, and had
them replace the tires with some new Goodyears. I had checked the tires
a couple days before, and hadn't noticed any wear in them at all (with
the exception of normal wear, of course).

The guy said I should get an alignment immediately, or suffer the same
fate on these tires as the first.

And you know what? I never did get around to that alignment. 45,000
miles later, all four tires have worn evenly. Not sure why an employee
of Wal-Mart would want to screw me like that, but I'm guessing warranty
work must effect his bonus, or something.

--
MAME - It's what's for dinner!
http://www.tombstones.org.uk - meet the alt.games.mame regulars!

Google