PDA

View Full Version : Frugal "mini-pantry"

July 19th 03, 04:55 PM
Before my husband's sister recently moved, she gave us about three
good-sized boxes worth of food she didn't want to take with her.

After consolidating (adding the small amounts of spices into my own
jars), refrigerating/freezing the perishables, tossing iffy-looking
stuff, giving our neighbors the stuff we wouldn't use, and putting as
much into the cupboards as I could fit, I was still left with a lot of
cans, jars and boxes of food to store.

Unfortunately, we have a very small kitchen without a lot of storage
space (I know I could store it elsewhere, but there's not much extra
room *anywhere* in our apartment right now). I had no clue what to do
with it all. After thinking about it for a while, I came up with a
solution.

I took a fairly good-sized Rubbermaid storage container and put the
excess food in that, then set it where the kitchen trash can goes. The
trash can sets nicely on top of the container, and I haven't lost any
usable space at all. Since it's mainly for "extras" (duplicates of
what's already in my food cupboards), I won't have to get into it all
that often anyway.

It'll be nice even after we've used up the food we were given, because I
can stock up a bit more than I've been able to before on sale items
without worrying about where to store it. Not a perfect solution, but
it works for me. :)

Diva

gini52
July 20th 03, 03:09 AM
> wrote in message
> Before my husband's sister recently moved, she gave us about three
> good-sized boxes worth of food she didn't want to take with her.
>
> After consolidating (adding the small amounts of spices into my own
> jars), refrigerating/freezing the perishables, tossing iffy-looking
> stuff, giving our neighbors the stuff we wouldn't use, and putting as
> much into the cupboards as I could fit, I was still left with a lot of
> cans, jars and boxes of food to store.
>
> Unfortunately, we have a very small kitchen without a lot of storage
> space (I know I could store it elsewhere, but there's not much extra
> room *anywhere* in our apartment right now). I had no clue what to do
> with it all. After thinking about it for a while, I came up with a
> solution.
>
> I took a fairly good-sized Rubbermaid storage container and put the
> excess food in that, then set it where the kitchen trash can goes. The
> trash can sets nicely on top of the container, and I haven't lost any
> usable space at all. Since it's mainly for "extras" (duplicates of
> what's already in my food cupboards), I won't have to get into it all
> that often anyway.
>
> It'll be nice even after we've used up the food we were given, because I
> can stock up a bit more than I've been able to before on sale items
> without worrying about where to store it. Not a perfect solution, but
> it works for me. :)
>
> Diva
==
I painted an old wood table white, put some vintage kitchen decals on it
and made a heavily gathered skirt for it out of woven red mini-check fabric.
I put it in the middle of my small kitchen to use as an island and I store
all my baking supplies under it as well as large tins of flour and sugar on
makeshift shelves.
There is a lot of storage space under that table. An extra for this table is
that it also
has slide out leaves on either end that I pull out when I need extra food
prep space.
As it sits in my kitchen, I can just open the oven door, dishwasher and
fridge door
to clear the table. It is tight but works well. A smaller table might be
found to fit
tighter kitchen spaces.
==
==

gini52
July 20th 03, 03:09 AM
> wrote in message
> Before my husband's sister recently moved, she gave us about three
> good-sized boxes worth of food she didn't want to take with her.
>
> After consolidating (adding the small amounts of spices into my own
> jars), refrigerating/freezing the perishables, tossing iffy-looking
> stuff, giving our neighbors the stuff we wouldn't use, and putting as
> much into the cupboards as I could fit, I was still left with a lot of
> cans, jars and boxes of food to store.
>
> Unfortunately, we have a very small kitchen without a lot of storage
> space (I know I could store it elsewhere, but there's not much extra
> room *anywhere* in our apartment right now). I had no clue what to do
> with it all. After thinking about it for a while, I came up with a
> solution.
>
> I took a fairly good-sized Rubbermaid storage container and put the
> excess food in that, then set it where the kitchen trash can goes. The
> trash can sets nicely on top of the container, and I haven't lost any
> usable space at all. Since it's mainly for "extras" (duplicates of
> what's already in my food cupboards), I won't have to get into it all
> that often anyway.
>
> It'll be nice even after we've used up the food we were given, because I
> can stock up a bit more than I've been able to before on sale items
> without worrying about where to store it. Not a perfect solution, but
> it works for me. :)
>
> Diva
==
[...]

Google