PDA

View Full Version : How can I shred newsprint??

Jim
July 19th 03, 07:01 PM
The lawn/yard of my new (to me) house is very uneven (due to apparent lack of proper care).

A lawn service wants $1,500 to tear it out, spread some topsoil and resod to 'renovate' it.
Sure, that would get it over and done in one week... but certainly not the most frugal way to
go.

I've done some research and read that worms are great natural soil conditioners. I also read
that they like decomposing newsprint (w/ veg/ based inks) so I've sorted the plain newsprint
from all the glossy stuff and saved it up.

Now I need to shred it so it wil decompose faster... but I don't know how.

Is there a way to do this w/ wearing out my hands w/ scissors or renting an actual shredder??

Jim

L. Maurer
July 19th 03, 07:24 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:01:30 -0500, Jim > wrote:

>I also read
>that they like decomposing newsprint (w/ veg/ based inks) so I've sorted the plain newsprint
>from all the glossy stuff and saved it up.

Just because it's not "the glossy stuff" doesn't mean it's printed
with a vegetable based ink. Buy a truck load of topsoil, spread it
yourself, then plant plugs of whatever grass you want.

mama

L. Maurer
July 19th 03, 07:24 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:01:30 -0500, Jim > wrote:

>I also read
>that they like decomposing newsprint (w/ veg/ based inks) so I've sorted the plain newsprint
>from all the glossy stuff and saved it up.

Just because it's not "the glossy stuff" doesn't mean it's printed
with a vegetable based ink. Buy a truck load of topsoil, spread it
yourself, then plant plugs of whatever grass you want.

mama

Ned Flanders
July 19th 03, 11:19 PM
Jim > wrote in message >...
> The lawn/yard of my new (to me) house is very uneven (due to apparent lack of proper care).
>
> A lawn service wants $1,500 to tear it out, spread some topsoil and resod to 'renovate' it.
> Sure, that would get it over and done in one week... but certainly not the most frugal way to
> go.
>
> I've done some research and read that worms are great natural soil conditioners. I also read
> that they like decomposing newsprint (w/ veg/ based inks) so I've sorted the plain newsprint
> from all the glossy stuff and saved it up.
>
> Now I need to shred it so it wil decompose faster... but I don't know how.
>
> Is there a way to do this w/ wearing out my hands w/ scissors or renting an actual shredder??
>
> Jim

Also get your soil tested. Worms prefer and thrive in slightly acid soil.

Good luck with the worm farm,

Ned

Ned Flanders
July 19th 03, 11:19 PM
Jim > wrote in message >...
> The lawn/yard of my new (to me) house is very uneven (due to apparent lack of proper care).
>
> A lawn service wants $1,500 to tear it out, spread some topsoil and resod to 'renovate' it.
> Sure, that would get it over and done in one week... but certainly not the most frugal way to
> go.
>
> I've done some research and read that worms are great natural soil conditioners. I also read
> that they like decomposing newsprint (w/ veg/ based inks) so I've sorted the plain newsprint
> from all the glossy stuff and saved it up.
>
> Now I need to shred it so it wil decompose faster... but I don't know how.
>
> Is there a way to do this w/ wearing out my hands w/ scissors or renting an actual shredder??
>
> Jim

Also get your soil tested. Worms prefer and thrive in slightly acid soil.

Good luck with the worm farm,

Ned

July 20th 03, 11:39 PM
Shred newsprint . . .
Hah . . . one time when I was disposing of some branches I had trimmed from
bushes and a few crepe myrtles, I had the idea to simplify the task (the
customary method was to bundle 'em up in 4' sections and lay 'em out for the
trash truck) by running the lawnmower over 'em. Worked like a charm. Had
to sharpen the blade after that, but it needed sharpening anyway.
I'd guess you could lay the newsprint on your lawn (backyard, if your
neighbors might object) in 6 page thick sections or so and mow 'em into
smithereens. Might not come out in half inch squares, but it'd be
something. Try a few pages and see what happens.
Just a thought . . .
Or, you might could call someone who works with large amounts of paper
mache, and see how they chop up their newspaper . . .
--Tock

[...]

Tish Wolfe
July 21st 03, 12:46 AM
You can easily shred newsprint with an ordinary paper shredder, available at
office supply and discount stores at prices starting around $20. Look for
sales; you might also check local consignment stores. I've seen some
light-duty shredders for just $5 or $10. Sure, you can't do many sheets at a
time, but you can do it during commercials while watching tv. Every few
months I shred several sheets of newspaper; I keep a bag of it next to the
compost bucket under my sink and toss in a handful when I dump in something
wet, to keep it from getting quite so goopy and disgusting before I take it
to the compost pile outside.

Tish Wolfe
July 21st 03, 12:46 AM
You can easily shred newsprint with an ordinary paper shredder, available at
office supply and discount stores at prices starting around $20. Look for
sales; you might also check local consignment stores. I've seen some
light-duty shredders for just $5 or $10. Sure, you can't do many sheets at a
time, but you can do it during commercials while watching tv. Every few
months I shred several sheets of newspaper; I keep a bag of it next to the
compost bucket under my sink and toss in a handful when I dump in something
wet, to keep it from getting quite so goopy and disgusting before I take it
to the compost pile outside.

Dennis P. Harris
July 21st 03, 04:27 AM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:46:40 GMT in misc.consumers.frugal-living,
"Tish Wolfe" > wrote:

> ou can easily shred newsprint with an ordinary paper shredder, available at
> office supply and discount stores at prices starting around $20.

i got one for $10 at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago.
handles about 5-6 sheets at once.

July 22nd 03, 02:30 AM
"Chris Jung" > wrote
. . . s n i p . . .
> I do a ridiculous amount of papier mache (strange sculpture and even
> furniture).

Really? Is it a frugal way to make furniture?
--Tock

Google