PDA

View Full Version : follow up to cheap laser printer

j647
July 19th 03, 07:56 PM
I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser 5L
on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes of
using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp and
dark.

Ink Cartridges for this are $26.00 US. For the price of 3 cartridges, I got
a billion times more prints. (OK, so maybe not a billion, but no smeary
prints either.

Thanks to all for thier advice!

dennis
July 19th 03, 09:07 PM
speaking of toner...
At my office we use quite a few laser printers (5si's and 8100's). We have
found that the toner settles in the cartridge causing the printer to report
a premature toner low indication. You can merely remove the cartridge and
briefly it up and get considerable additional prints before replacement is
needed.

Dennis

"j647" > wrote in message
. com...
> I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser
5L
> on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes of
> using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp and
> dark.
>
> Ink Cartridges for this are $26.00 US. For the price of 3 cartridges, I
got
> a billion times more prints. (OK, so maybe not a billion, but no smeary
> prints either.
>

> Thanks to all for thier advice!
>

> ---

dennis
July 19th 03, 09:07 PM
speaking of toner...
At my office we use quite a few laser printers (5si's and 8100's). We have
found that the toner settles in the cartridge causing the printer to report
a premature toner low indication. You can merely remove the cartridge and
briefly it up and get considerable additional prints before replacement is
needed.

Dennis

"j647" > wrote in message
. com...
> I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser
5L
> on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes of
> using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp and
> dark.
>
> Ink Cartridges for this are $26.00 US. For the price of 3 cartridges, I
got
> a billion times more prints. (OK, so maybe not a billion, but no smeary
> prints either.
>

> Thanks to all for thier advice!
>

> ---

dennis
July 19th 03, 09:19 PM
Should be "briefly shake it up"

sorry, was just reading Pat Meadow's post and thought of the importance of
proofing prior to hitting the 'send' button.

Dennis

"dennis" > wrote in message
> speaking of toner...
> At my office we use quite a few laser printers (5si's and 8100's). We
have
> found that the toner settles in the cartridge causing the printer to
report
> a premature toner low indication. You can merely remove the cartridge and
> briefly it up and get considerable additional prints before replacement is
> needed.
>
> Dennis
>
> "j647" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser
> 5L
> > on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes
of
> > using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> > both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp
and
> > dark.
> >
> > Ink Cartridges for this are $26.00 US. For the price of 3 cartridges, I
> got
> > a billion times more prints. (OK, so maybe not a billion, but no smeary
> > prints either.
> >

> > Thanks to all for thier advice!
> >

> > ---

Warren Block
July 20th 03, 05:04 AM
j647 > wrote:
> I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser 5L
> on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes of
> using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp and
> dark.

When it starts feeding multiple pages, see the repair kit at

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com

Warren Block
July 20th 03, 05:04 AM
j647 > wrote:
> I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser 5L
> on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes of
> using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp and
> dark.

When it starts feeding multiple pages, see the repair kit at

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com

Don K
July 20th 03, 03:37 PM
"Gene Wirchenko" > wrote in message
> "dennis" > wrote:
>
> >Should be "briefly shake it up"
> >
> >sorry, was just reading Pat Meadow's post and thought of the importance
of
> >proofing prior to hitting the 'send' button.
>
> It is traditional to proof afterwards.

Oh yeah, writer's remorse.
Sometimes it's more fun for the reader to just fill in the blanks
and try to guess what the might be trying to say.

Don

Don K
July 20th 03, 03:37 PM
"Gene Wirchenko" > wrote in message
> "dennis" > wrote:
>
> >Should be "briefly shake it up"
> >
> >sorry, was just reading Pat Meadow's post and thought of the importance
of
> >proofing prior to hitting the 'send' button.
>
> It is traditional to proof afterwards.

Oh yeah, writer's remorse.
Sometimes it's more fun for the reader to just fill in the blanks
and try to guess what the might be trying to say.

Don

Bob
July 21st 03, 05:33 PM
"Warren Block" > wrote in message
> When it starts feeding multiple pages, see the repair kit at
>
> http://www.fixyourownprinter.com

Or, get the free repair kit from HP (It is listed for the 6L). Not the best
solution, but it does work.

Bob

Jeeters
August 5th 03, 09:43 PM
"Warren Block" > wrote in message
> j647 > wrote:
> > I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser
5L
> > on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes
of
> > using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> > both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp
and
> > dark.
>
> When it starts feeding multiple pages, see the repair kit at
>
> http://www.fixyourownprinter.com

And as a former owner of a 5L, I too can attest that it *will* start feeding
multiple pages through.

JimL
August 8th 03, 10:53 PM
"Jeeters" > wrote in message >...
> "Warren Block" > wrote in message
> > j647 > wrote:
> > > I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser
> 5L
> > > on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes
> of
> > > using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> > > both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp
> and
> > > dark.
> >
> > When it starts feeding multiple pages, see the repair kit at
> >
> > http://www.fixyourownprinter.com
>
> And as a former owner of a 5L, I too can attest that it *will* start feeding
> multiple pages through.

Don't get ANY of the printer models that have the paper feed vertical,
from the top. Room dust, and paper pulp dust, quickly coat the rubber
feed rollers, and very soon it is grabbing several sheets of paper at
a time, sometimes causing fatal permanent paper jams. And the design
of the printer is such that you cannot take it apart to clean the
rollers or clear out bad paper jams.

Our university has junked hundreds of these models and replaced them
all wit the newer, mid or high level HP's with the flat paper tray at
the bottom, and which open at three different places so you can easily
access and still occasional paper jams.

JimL
August 8th 03, 10:53 PM
"Jeeters" > wrote in message >...
> "Warren Block" > wrote in message
> > j647 > wrote:
> > > I took the advice of the astute members of this ng and bought a HP Laser
> 5L
> > > on ebay for $81.00 US (including shipping and toner). After 30 minutes
> of
> > > using this, I can highly recommend it to anyone. It set up in 5 minutes,
> > > both on my main maching and my home network, and the prints are crisp
> and
> > > dark.
> >
> > When it starts feeding multiple pages, see the repair kit at
> >
> > http://www.fixyourownprinter.com
>
> And as a former owner of a 5L, I too can attest that it *will* start feeding
> multiple pages through.

Don't get ANY of the printer models that have the paper feed vertical,
from the top. Room dust, and paper pulp dust, quickly coat the rubber
feed rollers, and very soon it is grabbing several sheets of paper at
a time, sometimes causing fatal permanent paper jams. And the design
of the printer is such that you cannot take it apart to clean the
rollers or clear out bad paper jams.

Our university has junked hundreds of these models and replaced them
all wit the newer, mid or high level HP's with the flat paper tray at
the bottom, and which open at three different places so you can easily
access and still occasional paper jams.

Google