PDA

View Full Version : Re: Washing the House?

Carol
July 20th 03, 04:02 AM
http://tinyurl.com/hgl0

Gives the following. Also has a stain removal guide and suggested cleaners
on the page.

HTH

Carol

Vinyl Siding Cleaning and Maintenance Guide

Vinyl siding is durable, attractive, and easy to maintain. Like any outdoor
product, however, even low-maintenance vinyl siding will need attention from
time to time. Don't worry! Simply follow the cleaning and maintenance tips
in this brochure and your vinyl siding will always look its best.

CLEANING

How do I wash vinyl siding?

Wash vinyl siding with a soft cloth or ordinary long-handled, soft bristle
brush. For textured surfaces, use only a soft bristle brush to avoid
smearing stains into the grooves of the texture. To prevent streaking from
soap and water running down the house during cleaning, start at the bottom
of the house and work up. Rinse the cleaning solution with water before it
dries. If your house has brick facing, cover the brick so that it is not
affected by the runoff.

Can I use a power washer?

Yes, though you should read the washer instructions thoroughly before use.
When cleaning, hold the power washer straight at eye level. Do not aim the
power washer upward, as the water may collect behind the siding, leak later,
and produce streaks or could remain and cause decay.

How do I remove mold and mildew?

Small spots of mold and mildew can be handled with cleaners such as
Fantastik® or Windex®. For larger sections, a solution of vinegar (30%) and
water (70%) has proven successful. Alternatively, you also could try the
following solution: 1/3 cup (2 2/3 ounces) powdered laundry detergent (e.g.,
Tide®, Fab®, or equivalent), 2/3 cup (5 1/3 ounces) powdered household
cleaner (e.g., Spic & Span®, Soilax®, or equivalent), 1 quart (32 fluid
ounces) liquid laundry bleach, and 1 gallon (128 fluid ounces) of water.

What types of cleaners should I use for other stains?

A list of commonly accepted cleaners is provided in the box below. Be sure
to spot check any general or stain specific cleaner before using it on a
large section of siding. After removing the stain, rinse thoroughly with
water. Do not use cleaners containing organic solvents, undiluted chlorine
bleach, liquid grease remover, nail polish remover, or furniture polish or
cleaners. They can affect the surface of the siding.

"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message

> Our house has vinyl siding - this is the first time either
> of us has lived in a house with vinyl siding.
>
> I think it would be good to wash it sometimes - and I'm
> figuring on using a mild soap and long-handled scrubbing
> brush (or one those brush affairs that you fasten to the
> hose), then rinsing it off with the hose.
>
> We will be able to reach most (not all) of the house with
> the scrubbing brush in that manner. All of it can be
> reached by a spray from the house.
>
> Comments? Advice? Tips?
>
> Thanks!
> Pat

dogsnus
July 20th 03, 02:07 PM
Pat Meadows > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:10:01 -0400, Pat Meadows
> wrote:
>
>> All of it can be
>>reached by a spray from the house.
>
> AAAARRRGGGGHHH. Make that 'spray from the hose'.

Sorry,Pat.
I can't help you. When we at the farm wash the house,
we use the airless paint sprayer and stand wayyy back
so as not to "abuse" the paint.
To date, we've repainted once in almost 8 years.
We see no reason to stand out there and handscrub
in temps that are in the 100F marks when one can do
it quickly and easily with mechanical means.

:)

Terri

dogsnus
July 20th 03, 02:07 PM
Pat Meadows > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:10:01 -0400, Pat Meadows
> wrote:
>
>> All of it can be
>>reached by a spray from the house.
>
> AAAARRRGGGGHHH. Make that 'spray from the hose'.

Sorry,Pat.
I can't help you. When we at the farm wash the house,
we use the airless paint sprayer and stand wayyy back
so as not to "abuse" the paint.
To date, we've repainted once in almost 8 years.
We see no reason to stand out there and handscrub
in temps that are in the 100F marks when one can do
it quickly and easily with mechanical means.

:)

Terri

Dorot29701
July 22nd 03, 12:01 AM
Before I painted my house, and in between paintings, I have washed mine. I
usually start by spraying it with a mixture of Clorox and water - use one of
those plastic pressure spray bottles like you use for pesticides - and then
rinse it real good. If your sprayer has had pesticides in it you can still use
it if you clean it first. My house is stucco.

Dorothy

Google