PDA

View Full Version : crazy idea for cheap cottage rental

mike
July 20th 03, 05:46 AM
I have this crazy idea that there may be a way to get access to
seaside rental homes for weekend getaways at a cheap or zero
cost...I'm hoping somebody can help me answer some questions that will
make this idea a reality.

Here goes: it seems to me that the owners of these houses might have a
need for some relatively easy to do service on the homes that might
take me just a day or half day and would be worth several free nights
in the home in exchange.

This would make most sense just after the high season is over.

Or maybe it would be a service I could perform in just a couple of
hours and then stay for half price in the home in exchange.

Does anybody who owns a rental cottage see any merit in this
half-baked idea?

Does anybody have any thoughts on what the service could be?

If I came up with the right one I would then contact rental agents in
the countryside areas I would like to spend the weekend in.

Most grateful for any ideas.

Mike

Joe Agro
July 20th 03, 06:59 AM
What good is being down there if you have to work during the daylight hours
unless you are a night person? And then... If you are a night person, how
good is your daytime work?

....All that being said, might just work!

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 26: http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

$0.03 bargain: http://tinyurl.com/9sz6

"mike" > wrote in message
m...
> I have this crazy idea that there may be a way to get access to
> seaside rental homes for weekend getaways at a cheap or zero
> cost...I'm hoping somebody can help me answer some questions that will
> make this idea a reality.
>
> Here goes: it seems to me that the owners of these houses might have a
> need for some relatively easy to do service on the homes that might
> take me just a day or half day and would be worth several free nights
> in the home in exchange.
>
> This would make most sense just after the high season is over.
>
> Or maybe it would be a service I could perform in just a couple of
> hours and then stay for half price in the home in exchange.
>
> Does anybody who owns a rental cottage see any merit in this
> half-baked idea?
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on what the service could be?
>
> If I came up with the right one I would then contact rental agents in
> the countryside areas I would like to spend the weekend in.
>
> Most grateful for any ideas.
>
> Mike

dennis
July 20th 03, 07:28 AM
My brother and myself own a cabin on the oregon coast and in the last few
years have started renting it out on weekends but mainly to people we
already know, either to co-workers or family/friends. Many of these people
have helped us do painting, carpentry, concrete work. etc so we have given
them several free weekends.

What comes to my mind as far as possible projects:
yardwork/ tree trimming
gutter/downspout/drain clearing
painting
major cleaning (including fridge,oven, etc)
chimney cleaning
Maybe supply a half pickup load of wood for fireplace.
roof repairing

One thing we did was had a fire ring put in our backyard... makes nice
family nights in the backyard with the ocean noise for background. Many
enjoyable evenings spent out there!

the possibilities are endless.

Probably the hard part is to ascertain which homes in an area are actual
primary residences and what are rental cabins. In my area they all look
like regular homes so in that case seeking a rental agent may be advisable.
In some locations the cabins need to be registered so you might check with
city/county records and make contact with those people.

good luck
Dennis

"mike" > wrote in message
m...
> I have this crazy idea that there may be a way to get access to
> seaside rental homes for weekend getaways at a cheap or zero
> cost...I'm hoping somebody can help me answer some questions that will
> make this idea a reality.
>
> Here goes: it seems to me that the owners of these houses might have a
> need for some relatively easy to do service on the homes that might
> take me just a day or half day and would be worth several free nights
> in the home in exchange.
>
> This would make most sense just after the high season is over.
>
> Or maybe it would be a service I could perform in just a couple of
> hours and then stay for half price in the home in exchange.
>
> Does anybody who owns a rental cottage see any merit in this
> half-baked idea?
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on what the service could be?
>
> If I came up with the right one I would then contact rental agents in
> the countryside areas I would like to spend the weekend in.
>
> Most grateful for any ideas.
>
> Mike

Bob Ward
July 22nd 03, 05:08 AM
On 21 Jul 2003 18:54:33 -0700, (Edgar S.) wrote:

>It's really a very GOOD idea. Even better would be to contact owners
>of property and arrange to stay there WITHOUT having to labor to do
>so.
>
>Bet LOTS of owners would like to have a nice, dependable person on
>site to watch over it, provide security.
>
>Laboring at construction should pay a bit more than the cost of a few
>night's stay.

Posting without thinking again, Elaine? What would be the incentive
for someone who has recreational property for rent to allow someone to
stay for free to "provide security"?

Carol Cohen
July 22nd 03, 04:19 PM
Bob Ward > wrote in message >...
> On 21 Jul 2003 18:54:33 -0700, (Edgar S.) wrote:
>

> >It's really a very GOOD idea. Even better would be to contact owners
> >of property and arrange to stay there WITHOUT having to labor to do
> >so.
> >
> >Bet LOTS of owners would like to have a nice, dependable person on
> >site to watch over it, provide security.
> >
> >Laboring at construction should pay a bit more than the cost of a few
> >night's stay.
>

> Posting without thinking again, Elaine? What would be the incentive
> for someone who has recreational property for rent to allow someone to
> stay for free to "provide security"?

I'm afraid I must agree with Bob Ward, snide though his comment be.
In my experience (RI and MA) seaside or oceanview property is at a
premium, even if it's a miserable unrepaired shack. Owners can get a
good rent from the property in season (which is July and August) and
then find a local person to rent it for the other 10 months for at
least $800/mo. Lending your property to a friend for a weekend or a
week and asking for some help painting it or weeding the garden, is
one thing. Renting it out for "free" in return for specific work
could involve liability issues, problems of the tenant not performing
the work to your satisfaction but no recourse on your part, and
worries about how else they might be using it, since there would be no
lease agreement. It would be cheaper for the "free" tenant to find
work elsewhere, and pay rent. If they are totally unskilled and
inexperienced hence can't find decent paying seasonal work, do you
really want them doing your carpentry and painting?

Carol

silvasurfa
July 22nd 03, 06:00 PM
"Carol Cohen" > wrote in message
om...

Renting it out for "free" in return for specific work
> could involve liability issues, problems of the tenant not performing
> the work to your satisfaction but no recourse on your part, and
> worries about how else they might be using it, since there would be no
> lease agreement. It would be cheaper for the "free" tenant to find
> work elsewhere, and pay rent. If they are totally unskilled and
> inexperienced hence can't find decent paying seasonal work, do you
> really want them doing your carpentry and painting?
>
> Carol

Maybe the OP should consider one of those barter schemes where you earn
barter points? How advantageous these are can very depending on the scheme,
your country's tax regime etc.

Edgar S.
July 22nd 03, 10:35 PM
(Carol Cohen) wrote in message >...
> Bob Ward > wrote in message >...
> > On 21 Jul 2003 18:54:33 -0700, (Edgar S.) wrote:
> >

> > >It's really a very GOOD idea. Even better would be to contact owners
> > >of property and arrange to stay there WITHOUT having to labor to do
> > >so.
> > >
> > >Bet LOTS of owners would like to have a nice, dependable person on
> > >site to watch over it, provide security.
> > >
> > >Laboring at construction should pay a bit more than the cost of a few
> > >night's stay.

> I'm afraid I must agree with Bob Ward

Ha ha... bob ward is just a nay sayer, as you are apparently a nay
sayer in training under him.

, snide though his comment be.
> In my experience (RI and MA) seaside or oceanview property is at a
> premium, even if it's a miserable unrepaired shack. Owners can get a
> good rent from the property in season (which is July and August) and
> then find a local person to rent it for the other 10 months for at
> least $800/mo. Lending your property to a friend for a weekend or a
> week and asking for some help painting it or weeding the garden, is
> one thing. Renting it out for "free" in return for specific work
> could involve liability issues, problems of the tenant not performing
> the work to your satisfaction but no recourse on your part, and
> worries about how else they might be using it, since there would be no
> lease agreement.

How hum drum. Compare your complaints with the vandalism on week end
properties. Or vandals who become assailants, or arsonists.

Any vacation community will have a few positions for a good security
guard, or assistant. Ppl work so hard these days, the cabins or
vacation houses stay empty most week ends. When in use, there is
always something to do: shopping, loading and unloading the cars,
parking, pet care.

> It would be cheaper for the "free" tenant to find
> work elsewhere, and pay rent.

The idea is to avoid labor as much as possible on a vacation house
deal. If the owner is asking too much, go somewhere else. In a lot of
cases, the owners are only there once a month. They mite want the
guard to split and let them have the house for what...two days a
month?

If they are totally unskilled and
> inexperienced hence can't find decent paying seasonal work, do you
> really want them doing your carpentry and painting?

NO. As I said before, getting some dependable guy to help out at the
cabin is NOT the same as paying for a skilled craftsperson. SOMETIMES
just having a part time assistant on the property is all they want.

Someone could maintain several part time security / assistance jobs
there during the season. Plus the possibility of wintering over with
one of their clients.

Google