PDA

View Full Version : Re: How Do You Chop Chicken Feathers?

dogsnus
July 20th 03, 02:04 PM
(Edgar S.) wrote in
om:

> Does anyone know how chicken feathers are used in pillow making?
> Feather beds use these, and chopped feathers are commonly mixed with
> down to make sofa cusions.
Only the cheap ones.

> They add the feather to give the down firmness and body. Does anyone
> know how the feathers are commerically chopped?

google.com is your friend.

Edgar S.
July 21st 03, 06:31 PM
(Elana) wrote in message >...
> Edgar S. > wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how chicken feathers are used in pillow making?
> > Feather beds use these, and chopped feathers are commonly mixed with
> > down to make sofa cusions.
> >
> > They add the feather to give the down firmness and body. Does anyone
> > know how the feathers are commerically chopped?
>
> I believe it's goosedown for use in beds and pillows, not chickens...

Actually, feathers have a use in some forms of pillows and furniture.
If the pad is going to be weight bearing, the feathers have the
function of preventing the down from bottoming out.

There's even a formula of feather / down in a good pillow. The pillow
actually functions better if it's not ALL down stuffing.

Featherbeds where u sleep on top are the same way: chopped feathers
are firm and support body weight. Down works it's way between the
feathers, makes it soft and cushy.

Google