PDA

View Full Version : Re: Improvised root cellar? Any ideas?

July 20th 03, 07:49 PM
IIRC, The Tightwad Gazette mentioned storing fruits and veggies in
insulated coolers/ice chests to keep them cool but not frozen in the
ice-cold garage.

Diva

Don K
July 20th 03, 08:27 PM
> wrote in message
> IIRC, The Tightwad Gazette mentioned storing fruits and veggies in
> insulated coolers/ice chests to keep them cool but not frozen in the
> ice-cold garage.
>
> Diva

Whether that works will depend on whether and how long the
temperature in your garage goes below 32 degrees F.

Don

Don K
July 20th 03, 08:27 PM
> wrote in message
> IIRC, The Tightwad Gazette mentioned storing fruits and veggies in
> insulated coolers/ice chests to keep them cool but not frozen in the
> ice-cold garage.
>
> Diva

Whether that works will depend on whether and how long the
temperature in your garage goes below 32 degrees F.

Don

Kathy
July 23rd 03, 04:20 PM
> wrote in message
> IIRC, The Tightwad Gazette mentioned storing fruits and veggies in
> insulated coolers/ice chests to keep them cool but not frozen in the
> ice-cold garage.
>
> Diva

My husband had the same idea. We stored carrots in a cold chest from a
second hand store, left in the garage through a mild winter (hovering around
freezing all winter this year). The ones in the box stayed fresher longer
than the ones in the refrigerator crisper.

Mogie
July 26th 03, 12:55 AM
If you don't want to do the work yourself and don't want to hire someone to
do it for you try contacting your church and ask for volunteers. What about
your family? Friends? Neighbors? Consider bartering if you can't afford to
hire out the labor. You might find some young person willing to do the
digging for something that you have laying around.