PDA

View Full Version : Re: Poultry and Water?

JonquilJan
July 20th 03, 10:48 PM
Sounds like it was frozen then defrosted. Might be an anomoly - I haven't
had the problem - but I mostly bake or boil chicken.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
Ed Clarke > wrote in message
om...
> So I'm home trying to cook dinner; it calls for a pound of cut
> up chicken breasts to be browned before you add the sauce. Put
> two tablespoons of oil in a pan and brown the chicken. Sounds
> simple and quick.
>
> So I put the chicken in a hot pan... and it starts to leak water
> like crazy. I'm ten minutes trying to evaporate the damn water
> while my chicken is steaming instead of browning (Murry's
> "Organic" chicken, not cheap). Eventually it gets evaporated
> and the chicken browns.
>
> What the heck is going on here? This isn't blood; it isn't
> frozen chicken and it IS anoying. I just remembered that little
> note on frozen turkey ("contains 7% injected solution" - just
> looked at a frozen butterball) and wonder if the same thing is
> done to chicken?
>
> I don't have this problem with pork/beef/lamb, so what's with
> poultry? Do the processors pump them full of water to increase
> the weight? If I'd put this into a deep fryer the water would
> have splattered oil all over the place.

Ed Clarke
July 21st 03, 04:09 AM
In article >, Pat Meadows wrote:

> I just noticed you said 'organic chicken' - the
> injection-business shouldn't have been done to organic
> chicken, but maybe it was. Do you still have the label?

So I got curious about meat at the A&P and read the labels
this evening. It turns out that "Murry's Organic Chicken"
has about 4% water but "Purdue" only has 1%. On the other
hand, those little ham steaks have about 24% water added!
Generally pork runs about 7% water on those labeled.

How irritating. Beef doesn't seem to have added water (yet).
I think I'm going to check out my local butcher and see
what he can do for me.

George
July 21st 03, 02:44 PM
om...
wrote:

> > I just noticed you said 'organic chicken' - the
> > injection-business shouldn't have been done to organic
> > chicken, but maybe it was. Do you still have the label?
>
> So I got curious about meat at the A&P and read the labels
> this evening. It turns out that "Murry's Organic Chicken"
> has about 4% water but "Purdue" only has 1%. On the other
> hand, those little ham steaks have about 24% water added!
> Generally pork runs about 7% water on those labeled.
>
> How irritating. Beef doesn't seem to have added water (yet).
> I think I'm going to check out my local butcher and see
> what he can do for me.

Your local butcher might not be able to help you but the big guys will. My
neighbor owns a meat packing plant. He said the current packaging concept
with water and preservative added was driven by walmart. They want a
standardized product that has a long shelf life. Since they are now the
biggest food store in the US suppliers don't have much of a choice.

GatrGrad68
July 21st 03, 05:25 PM
>("contains 7% injected solution" - just
>looked at a frozen butterball)

I just took a look at a package of Butterball chicken I bought yesterday.
Package says "Enhanced with up to 12% of seasoned chicken broth." Had I noticed
this would not have bought it. Damned if I'll willingly pay a premium for what
essentially is watered down chicken. I'll be more careful reading packaging
labels in the future. Thanks for the post.

Deadend
July 21st 03, 08:16 PM
"George" > wrote in message >...
> "Ed Clarke" > wrote in message
> om...
> > In article >, Pat Meadows
> wrote:
> >
> > > I just noticed you said 'organic chicken' - the
> > > injection-business shouldn't have been done to organic
> > > chicken, but maybe it was. Do you still have the label?
> >
> > So I got curious about meat at the A&P and read the labels
> > this evening. It turns out that "Murry's Organic Chicken"
> > has about 4% water but "Purdue" only has 1%. On the other
> > hand, those little ham steaks have about 24% water added!
> > Generally pork runs about 7% water on those labeled.
> >
> > How irritating. Beef doesn't seem to have added water (yet).
> > I think I'm going to check out my local butcher and see
> > what he can do for me.
>
> Your local butcher might not be able to help you but the big guys will. My
> neighbor owns a meat packing plant. He said the current packaging concept
> with water and preservative added was driven by walmart. They want a
> standardized product that has a long shelf life. Since they are now the
> biggest food store in the US suppliers don't have much of a choice.

One more reason not to shop at WalMart. Sounds like they're worse than McDonald's.

Deadend

Arri London
July 22nd 03, 01:34 AM
Ed Clarke wrote:

> In article >, Pat Meadows wrote:
>
> > I just noticed you said 'organic chicken' - the
> > injection-business shouldn't have been done to organic
> > chicken, but maybe it was. Do you still have the label?
>
> So I got curious about meat at the A&P and read the labels
> this evening. It turns out that "Murry's Organic Chicken"
> has about 4% water but "Purdue" only has 1%. On the other
> hand, those little ham steaks have about 24% water added!
> Generally pork runs about 7% water on those labeled.
>
> How irritating. Beef doesn't seem to have added water (yet).
> I think I'm going to check out my local butcher and see
> what he can do for me.

Keep in mind that any company can label a product organic as
long as they don't say 'certified' anywhere. The last time I
looked at Purdue chicken, the label said up to 3% retained
water.

Don K
July 22nd 03, 02:20 AM
"GatrGrad68" > wrote in message
> I just took a look at a package of Butterball chicken I bought yesterday.
> Package says "Enhanced with up to 12% of seasoned chicken broth." Had I
noticed
> this would not have bought it. Damned if I'll willingly pay a premium for
what
> essentially is watered down chicken. I'll be more careful reading
packaging
> labels in the future. Thanks for the post.

Oh they call it a broth?

I saw a TV documentary showing how all poultry went through
this communal "broth" seasoned with the contents of spilled guts,
etc. and that this was the reason you really wanted to make sure
you washed the meat and thoroughly cooked it.

Don

George
July 22nd 03, 02:41 AM
"Don K" > wrote in message
> "GatrGrad68" > wrote in message
> > I just took a look at a package of Butterball chicken I bought
yesterday.
> > Package says "Enhanced with up to 12% of seasoned chicken broth." Had I
> noticed
> > this would not have bought it. Damned if I'll willingly pay a premium
for
> what
> > essentially is watered down chicken. I'll be more careful reading
> packaging
> > labels in the future. Thanks for the post.
>
> Oh they call it a broth?
>
> I saw a TV documentary showing how all poultry went through
> this communal "broth" seasoned with the contents of spilled guts,
> etc. and that this was the reason you really wanted to make sure
> you washed the meat and thoroughly cooked it.
>
> Don

I saw a similar program where they described why processed turkey does not
have salmonella issues because the dressed turkeys are never comingled. They
showed chicken processing as a contrast and as you described all of the
processed birds slid into a big vat. The turkey processors realized they
needed to be better to promote turkey consumption.

Arri London
July 22nd 03, 02:47 AM
Karen Wheless wrote:

> > I looked up Murry's
> > (http://www.murrys.com/inside/product_chick.html). There's
> > no mention of organic anywhere. Are there two companies
> > called Murry's?
>
> It's a different Murry's. I see Murry's Organic chicken in the grocery
> store, but have never bought it or looked closely at the label. Too
> pricey for me. But the label is completely different, and they sell
> fresh chicken in styrofoam packages, just like Purdue, not frozen.
>
> Actually, I think it's Murray's, not Murry's.
>
> http://www.murrayschicken.com
>
> Or who knows, there may be a third Murry's out there somewhere.
>
> Karen

Just had a look. It doesn't say 'organic' anywhere there
either. 'All Natural' has no legal meaning at all. Plus they
are wrong about their products being the only 100%
vegetarian chickens around.

Bubbalicious
July 22nd 03, 02:35 PM
Pat Meadows > wrote:

>I hope a lot of people will refuse to buy water at $2.99/lb
>- or whatever.

But they won't give a second though to buy a bottle of Evian (notice spelled
backwards is NAIVE?, and pay 16.00 per gallon! <vbg>

Google