PDA

View Full Version : Can you freeze ricotta?

Bonita and/or William F. Kale
July 21st 03, 12:58 PM
I want to buy some next time it's on sale and keep it around,
since our usual shopping venue, Aldi's, doesn't sell it.

Does it freeze? Mostly I'd use it for lasagne.

Bonita

The Real Bev
July 22nd 03, 04:09 AM
Deadend wrote:

> "Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message >...
> > I want to buy some next time it's on sale and keep it around,
> > since our usual shopping venue, Aldi's, doesn't sell it.
> >
> > Does it freeze? Mostly I'd use it for lasagne.
> >
> > Bonita
>
> I've frozen it in a pinch, and I use it for the same reason. It does
> seem to separate a little, and produces some liquid when thawed. But I
> just drained the liquid, and used as normal, and it was fine.

Long ago somebody suggested using cottage cheese + lemon juice whirled in
a blender as a ricotta substitute. That's what I always used when I made
lasagne, and it seemed to work fine.

If you're in a hurry, use raw flour tortillas instead of boiled lasagne
noodles and nuke until done. Makes the world's heaviest lasagne, but it's
pretty good.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Albert Wagner
July 22nd 03, 04:13 AM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:09 -0700
The Real Bev > wrote:
<snip>
> Long ago somebody suggested using cottage cheese + lemon juice whirled
> in a blender as a ricotta substitute. That's what I always used when
> I made lasagne, and it seemed to work fine.
>
> If you're in a hurry, use raw flour tortillas instead of boiled
> lasagne noodles and nuke until done. Makes the world's heaviest
> lasagne, but it's pretty good.

I like to experiment like this too. Some ideas work and some don't.
You learn either way.

Deadend
July 28th 03, 08:29 PM
Albert Wagner > wrote in message >...
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:09 -0700
> The Real Bev > wrote:
> <snip>
> > Long ago somebody suggested using cottage cheese + lemon juice whirled
> > in a blender as a ricotta substitute. That's what I always used when
> > I made lasagne, and it seemed to work fine.
> >
> > If you're in a hurry, use raw flour tortillas instead of boiled
> > lasagne noodles and nuke until done. Makes the world's heaviest
> > lasagne, but it's pretty good.
>
> I like to experiment like this too. Some ideas work and some don't.
> You learn either way.

Or maybe use good corn tortillas and that'd be good for someone who is Celiac.

Sounds tasty to me, and a hell of a lot faster than the traditional method!

Thanks,

Deadend

Google