PDA

View Full Version : Single Malt Whisky

Doug Ramage
January 2nd 04, 08:32 PM
Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
birthday.

Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Círdan Falassion
January 2nd 04, 08:37 PM
On 02 Jan 2004 "Doug Ramage" > wrote in
:

> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> ***Watch Spam Trap***

Ardbeg. Check it out at: http://whisky.com/brands/Ardbeg_brand.html
or Jamesons for someething a little smoother.

:: Virus Database 349, Release Date 30/12/2003

Círdan Falassion
January 2nd 04, 08:37 PM
On 02 Jan 2004 "Doug Ramage" > wrote in
:

> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> ***Watch Spam Trap***

Ardbeg. Check it out at: http://whisky.com/brands/Ardbeg_brand.html
or Jamesons for someething a little smoother.

:: Virus Database 349, Release Date 30/12/2003

Círdan Falassion
January 2nd 04, 08:37 PM
On 02 Jan 2004 "Doug Ramage" > wrote in
:

> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> ***Watch Spam Trap***

Ardbeg. Check it out at: http://whisky.com/brands/Ardbeg_brand.html
or Jamesons for someething a little smoother.

:: Virus Database 349, Release Date 30/12/2003

tox
January 2nd 04, 08:41 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.

Do you want it cheap or good?

Aldi do a very nice malt, about a tenner, IIRC.

HTH
tox

tox
January 2nd 04, 08:41 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.

Do you want it cheap or good?

Aldi do a very nice malt, about a tenner, IIRC.

HTH
tox

tox
January 2nd 04, 08:41 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.

Do you want it cheap or good?

Aldi do a very nice malt, about a tenner, IIRC.

HTH
tox

Doug Ramage
January 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
"tox" <The Human > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> > Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> > birthday.
>
> Do you want it cheap or good?
>
> Aldi do a very nice malt, about a tenner, IIRC.
>
> HTH
> tox

Both. :)

Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
"tox" <The Human > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> > Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> > birthday.
>
> Do you want it cheap or good?
>
> Aldi do a very nice malt, about a tenner, IIRC.
>
> HTH
> tox

Both. :)

Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
"tox" <The Human > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> > Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> > birthday.
>
> Do you want it cheap or good?
>
> Aldi do a very nice malt, about a tenner, IIRC.
>
> HTH
> tox

Both. :)

Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Big Mc
January 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?

try Highland Park really smooth around £20 to £25 depending where purchased
was on offer in Safeway before xmas at £19.99.

Big Mc
January 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?

try Highland Park really smooth around £20 to £25 depending where purchased
was on offer in Safeway before xmas at £19.99.

Big Mc
January 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?

try Highland Park really smooth around £20 to £25 depending where purchased
was on offer in Safeway before xmas at £19.99.

tox
January 2nd 04, 09:00 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

> Both. :)
>
> Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> --

For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a superb
selection of Whiskies

Have one in your area?

Regards
tox

tox
January 2nd 04, 09:00 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

> Both. :)
>
> Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> --

For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a superb
selection of Whiskies

Have one in your area?

Regards
tox

tox
January 2nd 04, 09:00 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

> Both. :)
>
> Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> --

For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a superb
selection of Whiskies

Have one in your area?

Regards
tox

Reestit Mutton
January 2nd 04, 09:07 PM
tox wrote:
> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
>

>>Both. :)
>>
>>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
>>--
>

> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a superb
> selection of Whiskies
>
> Have one in your area?
>
> Regards
> tox

Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.

However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.

I suspect he's after something more unusual...

RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Reestit Mutton
January 2nd 04, 09:07 PM

tox wrote:
> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
>

>>Both. :)
>>
>>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
>>--
>

> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a superb
> selection of Whiskies
>
> Have one in your area?
>
> Regards
> tox

Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.

However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.

I suspect he's after something more unusual...

RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Doug Ramage
January 2nd 04, 09:34 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> tox wrote:
> > "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Both. :)
> >>
> >>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> >>--
> >

> > For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
superb
> > selection of Whiskies
> >
> > Have one in your area?
> >
> > Regards
> > tox
> >

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>
> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
>
> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>
> RM
> --

Edinburgh?

I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)

But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
"connoisseur".
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 2nd 04, 09:34 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> tox wrote:
> > "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Both. :)
> >>
> >>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> >>--
> >

> > For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
superb
> > selection of Whiskies
> >
> > Have one in your area?
> >
> > Regards
> > tox
> >

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>
> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
>
> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>
> RM
> --

Edinburgh?

I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)

But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
"connoisseur".
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 2nd 04, 09:34 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> tox wrote:
> > "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Both. :)
> >>
> >>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> >>--
> >

> > For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
superb
> > selection of Whiskies
> >
> > Have one in your area?
> >
> > Regards
> > tox
> >

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>
> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
>
> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>
> RM
> --

Edinburgh?

I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)

But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
"connoisseur".
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

tox
January 2nd 04, 10:05 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.

Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
around.
It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.

Regards
tox

tox
January 2nd 04, 10:05 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.

Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
around.
It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.

Regards
tox

tox
January 2nd 04, 10:05 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.

Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
around.
It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.

Regards
tox

Mike Watson
January 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:34:07 -0000, "Doug Ramage"
> wrote:

>Edinburgh?
>
>I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>
>But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
>"connoisseur".
How about springbank then. Not sure where you will find it in
cambridge though.

Mike Watson
January 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:34:07 -0000, "Doug Ramage"
> wrote:

>Edinburgh?
>
>I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>
>But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
>"connoisseur".
How about springbank then. Not sure where you will find it in
cambridge though.

Mike Watson
January 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:34:07 -0000, "Doug Ramage"
> wrote:

>Edinburgh?
>
>I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>
>But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
>"connoisseur".
How about springbank then. Not sure where you will find it in
cambridge though.

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:31 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

> "Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
>> tox wrote:

>>> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry
>>> a superb selection of Whiskies
>>>
>>> Have one in your area?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> tox
>>>

>> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>>
>> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
>> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
>>
>> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>>
>> RM
>> --
>>

> Edinburgh?
>
> I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>
> But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
> "connoisseur".

http://www.balvenie.com/club/shop/cask191.html
;)

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:31 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

> "Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
>> tox wrote:

>>> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry
>>> a superb selection of Whiskies
>>>
>>> Have one in your area?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> tox
>>>

>> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>>
>> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
>> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
>>
>> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>>
>> RM
>> --
>>

> Edinburgh?
>
> I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>
> But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
> "connoisseur".

http://www.balvenie.com/club/shop/cask191.html
;)

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:31 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

> "Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
>> tox wrote:

>>> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry
>>> a superb selection of Whiskies
>>>
>>> Have one in your area?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> tox
>>>

>> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>>
>> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
>> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
>>
>> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>>
>> RM
>> --
>>

> Edinburgh?
>
> I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>
> But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
> "connoisseur".

http://www.balvenie.com/club/shop/cask191.html
;)

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:35 PM
"Bryan" > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

>>> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>>>
>>> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with
>>> the usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>>>
>>> RM
>>> --
>>>

>> Edinburgh?
>>
>> I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>>
>> But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
>> "connoisseur".
>
> http://www.balvenie.com/club/shop/cask191.html
> ;)

Just realised it wont direct you to the page, but it's
http://www.balvenie.com/range/vintagecask.html
at £6000 per bottle :)

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:35 PM

"Bryan" > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message

>>> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>>>
>>> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with
>>> the usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> I suspect he's after something more unusual...
>>>
>>> RM
>>> --
>>>

>> Edinburgh?
>>
>> I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
>>
>> But yes, something unusual is what I am seeking, as B-I-L is bit of a
>> "connoisseur".
>
> http://www.balvenie.com/club/shop/cask191.html
> ;)

Just realised it wont direct you to the page, but it's
http://www.balvenie.com/range/vintagecask.html
at £6000 per bottle :)

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:41 PM
"tox" <The Human > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
>>

>> Both. :)
>>
>> Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something
>> "special". --
>
> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
> superb selection of Whiskies
>
> Have one in your area?
>
> Regards
> tox

Balvenie Doublewood £25

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:41 PM
"tox" <The Human > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
>>

>> Both. :)
>>
>> Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something
>> "special". --
>
> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
> superb selection of Whiskies
>
> Have one in your area?
>
> Regards
> tox

Balvenie Doublewood £25

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:41 PM
"tox" <The Human > wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
>>

>> Both. :)
>>
>> Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something
>> "special". --
>
> For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
> superb selection of Whiskies
>
> Have one in your area?
>
> Regards
> tox

Balvenie Doublewood £25

Paul Ockenden
January 2nd 04, 10:50 PM
I can't understand why anyone would look at 'cheapness'
as a determining factor when selecting a single malt. It's
a far more personal and emotional thing than that.

I *adore* laphroaig (I can even spell it!), and wouldn't be
tempted away by some no-name supermarket own-label
brand, or some bargain basement spirit from a lower
division distillery.

P.

[...]

January 2nd 04, 10:55 PM
"Paul Ockenden" > wrote in
message
> I can't understand why anyone would look at 'cheapness'
> as a determining factor when selecting a single malt. It's
> a far more personal and emotional thing than that.
>
> I *adore* laphroaig (I can even spell it!), and wouldn't be
> tempted away by some no-name supermarket own-label
> brand, or some bargain basement spirit from a lower
> division distillery.
>
> P.

*Lower* - Balvenie?
Bwahahahahaha

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:55 PM
"Paul Ockenden" > wrote in
message
> I can't understand why anyone would look at 'cheapness'
> as a determining factor when selecting a single malt. It's
> a far more personal and emotional thing than that.
>
> I *adore* laphroaig (I can even spell it!), and wouldn't be
> tempted away by some no-name supermarket own-label
> brand, or some bargain basement spirit from a lower
> division distillery.
>
> P.

*Lower* - Balvenie?
Bwahahahahaha

Bryan
January 2nd 04, 10:55 PM
"Paul Ockenden" > wrote in
message
> I can't understand why anyone would look at 'cheapness'
> as a determining factor when selecting a single malt. It's
> a far more personal and emotional thing than that.
>
> I *adore* laphroaig (I can even spell it!), and wouldn't be
> tempted away by some no-name supermarket own-label
> brand, or some bargain basement spirit from a lower
> division distillery.
>
> P.

*Lower* - Balvenie?
Bwahahahahaha

Dr. Compynei
January 2nd 04, 10:58 PM
"tox" wrote
> Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
> around.
> It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.

I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very 80s.
I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a dam'.

Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and worth
it.

Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Dr. Compynei
January 2nd 04, 10:58 PM
"tox" wrote
> Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
> around.
> It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.

I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very 80s.
I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a dam'.

Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and worth
it.

Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Dr. Compynei
January 2nd 04, 10:58 PM
"tox" wrote
> Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
> around.
> It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.

I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very 80s.
I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a dam'.

Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and worth
it.

Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Graham
January 3rd 04, 12:02 AM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> tox wrote:
> > "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Both. :)
> >>
> >>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> >>--
> >

> > For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
superb
> > selection of Whiskies
> >
> > Have one in your area?
> >
> > Regards
> > tox
> >

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>
> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.

Seconded for the Lagavulin, my favourite closely followed by Highland Park,
or Scapa.

Graham

Graham
January 3rd 04, 12:02 AM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> tox wrote:
> > "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Both. :)
> >>
> >>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> >>--
> >

> > For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
superb
> > selection of Whiskies
> >
> > Have one in your area?
> >
> > Regards
> > tox
> >

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>
> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.

Seconded for the Lagavulin, my favourite closely followed by Highland Park,
or Scapa.

Graham

Graham
January 3rd 04, 12:02 AM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> tox wrote:
> > "Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Both. :)
> >>
> >>Budget is around £20 -£25. But might go higher for something "special".
> >>--
> >

> > For £20 you'll get an excellent malt. Morrisons Supermarket, carry a
superb
> > selection of Whiskies
> >
> > Have one in your area?
> >
> > Regards
> > tox
> >

> Soon will...when the Safeway takeover is over.
>
> However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.

Seconded for the Lagavulin, my favourite closely followed by Highland Park,
or Scapa.

Graham

JohnB
January 3rd 04, 12:17 AM
Doug Ramage wrote:
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> ***Watch Spam Trap***

Oddbins have a "Buy 2 get £10 off" christmas offer on all their malts.
they have a good range too. One for the brother-in-law and one for you.
The Glenmorangie's aged in sherry or port or madeira casks are pretty good.

--
JB

JohnB
January 3rd 04, 12:17 AM

Doug Ramage wrote:
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> ***Watch Spam Trap***

Oddbins have a "Buy 2 get £10 off" christmas offer on all their malts.
they have a good range too. One for the brother-in-law and one for you.
The Glenmorangie's aged in sherry or port or madeira casks are pretty good.

--
JB

steeler
January 3rd 04, 01:53 AM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage

sainsburys were doing £10 off 1 litre of 10 year old Glenmorangie and
Glenfiddich. tesco have a selection of single malts at £5 off (inc. my fave
leapfrog).

steeler
January 3rd 04, 01:53 AM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage

sainsburys were doing £10 off 1 litre of 10 year old Glenmorangie and
Glenfiddich. tesco have a selection of single malts at £5 off (inc. my fave
leapfrog).

steeler
January 3rd 04, 01:53 AM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --
> Doug Ramage

sainsburys were doing £10 off 1 litre of 10 year old Glenmorangie and
Glenfiddich. tesco have a selection of single malts at £5 off (inc. my fave
leapfrog).

steeler
January 3rd 04, 01:55 AM
"Dr. Compynei" > wrote in message
> "tox" wrote
> > Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF
deals
> > around.
> > It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.
>
> I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
> attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very
80s.
> I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a
dam'.

> Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
> pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
> you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
> attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and
worth
> it.
>
> Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
> Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Its not a reflection on morrisons or safeway - it is just like that for
different areas. Near us we have three out of town brand new morrisons
superstores and a dirty roach infested safeways.

steeler
January 3rd 04, 01:55 AM
"Dr. Compynei" > wrote in message
> "tox" wrote
> > Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF
deals
> > around.
> > It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.
>
> I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
> attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very
80s.
> I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a
dam'.

> Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
> pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
> you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
> attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and
worth
> it.
>
> Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
> Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Its not a reflection on morrisons or safeway - it is just like that for
different areas. Near us we have three out of town brand new morrisons
superstores and a dirty roach infested safeways.

steeler
January 3rd 04, 01:55 AM
"Dr. Compynei" > wrote in message
> "tox" wrote
> > Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF
deals
> > around.
> > It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.
>
> I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
> attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very
80s.
> I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a
dam'.

> Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
> pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
> you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
> attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and
worth
> it.
>
> Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
> Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Its not a reflection on morrisons or safeway - it is just like that for
different areas. Near us we have three out of town brand new morrisons
superstores and a dirty roach infested safeways.

Tosh
January 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
Dr. Compynei spoke thusly:

> "tox" wrote
>> Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
>> around.
>> It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.
>
> I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
> attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very 80s.
> I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a dam'.

> Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
> pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
> you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
> attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and worth
> it.
>
> Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
> Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Maybe Morrisons is better off without customers like you

Tosh
January 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
Dr. Compynei spoke thusly:

> "tox" wrote
>> Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
>> around.
>> It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.
>
> I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
> attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very 80s.
> I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a dam'.

> Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
> pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
> you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
> attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and worth
> it.
>
> Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
> Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Maybe Morrisons is better off without customers like you

Tosh
January 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
Dr. Compynei spoke thusly:

> "tox" wrote
>> Ah, you're in for a treat, extremely competitive and the best BOGOF deals
>> around.
>> It's the only place I shop these days, huge variety of lines.
>
> I wouldnt say that. Our local Morrisons is in the town centre and tends to
> attract the rouges. The supermarket is dirty, badly designed, and very 80s.
> I find the staff arrogant and the attitude is that 'they don't give a dam'.

> Going to our Safeway is a 2 minute drive down the road where the staff are
> pleasent, the store is modern and clean and the local community shop here,
> you don't have to put up with the rabble that the less affluent areas
> attract. Maybe it is slightly more expensive but it is convienient and worth
> it.
>
> Thats not meant to sound snobby but still it will be a sad day when our
> Safeway turns into a Tacky-Morrisons. I think we'll be off down to Tesco.

Maybe Morrisons is better off without customers like you

The Man With No Idea
January 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --

Why not have a look here:

http://www.lfw.co.uk/

the shop is superb, if you give them a call I'm sure they'll give you some
excellent advice.

Or - as a real break from tradition - how about a single grain whisky, they
are much harder to get hold of.
lfw do this one:

"Invergordon C 13yo 67.8%alc.
I don't recall seeing a whisky as stong as this one!
A Cadenhead independent single cask strength bottling.
See 'label explanations' above for more information.
Price: £34.47 £40.50 Including VAT at 17.5% "

The Man With No Idea
January 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --

Why not have a look here:

http://www.lfw.co.uk/

the shop is superb, if you give them a call I'm sure they'll give you some
excellent advice.

Or - as a real break from tradition - how about a single grain whisky, they
are much harder to get hold of.
lfw do this one:

"Invergordon C 13yo 67.8%alc.
I don't recall seeing a whisky as stong as this one!
A Cadenhead independent single cask strength bottling.
See 'label explanations' above for more information.
Price: £34.47 £40.50 Including VAT at 17.5% "

The Man With No Idea
January 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> --

Why not have a look here:

http://www.lfw.co.uk/

the shop is superb, if you give them a call I'm sure they'll give you some
excellent advice.

Or - as a real break from tradition - how about a single grain whisky, they
are much harder to get hold of.
lfw do this one:

"Invergordon C 13yo 67.8%alc.
I don't recall seeing a whisky as stong as this one!
A Cadenhead independent single cask strength bottling.
See 'label explanations' above for more information.
Price: £34.47 £40.50 Including VAT at 17.5% "

Doug Ramage
January 3rd 04, 03:38 PM
"The Man With No Idea" > wrote in message
> > Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> > birthday.
> >
> > Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> > --
>
> Why not have a look here:
>
> http://www.lfw.co.uk/
>
> the shop is superb, if you give them a call I'm sure they'll give you some
> excellent advice.
>

> Or - as a real break from tradition - how about a single grain whisky,
they
> are much harder to get hold of.
> lfw do this one:
>
> "Invergordon C 13yo 67.8%alc.
> I don't recall seeing a whisky as stong as this one!
> A Cadenhead independent single cask strength bottling.
> See 'label explanations' above for more information.
> Price: £34.47 £40.50 Including VAT at 17.5% "

Thanks, Man - and others for your suggestions.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 3rd 04, 03:38 PM
"The Man With No Idea" > wrote in message
> > Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> > birthday.
> >
> > Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> > --
>
> Why not have a look here:
>
> http://www.lfw.co.uk/
>
> the shop is superb, if you give them a call I'm sure they'll give you some
> excellent advice.
>

> Or - as a real break from tradition - how about a single grain whisky,
they
> are much harder to get hold of.
> lfw do this one:
>
> "Invergordon C 13yo 67.8%alc.
> I don't recall seeing a whisky as stong as this one!
> A Cadenhead independent single cask strength bottling.
> See 'label explanations' above for more information.
> Price: £34.47 £40.50 Including VAT at 17.5% "

Thanks, Man - and others for your suggestions.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 3rd 04, 03:38 PM
"The Man With No Idea" > wrote in message
> > Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> > birthday.
> >
> > Anybody got any suggestions/deals?
> > --
>
> Why not have a look here:
>
> http://www.lfw.co.uk/
>
> the shop is superb, if you give them a call I'm sure they'll give you some
> excellent advice.
>

> Or - as a real break from tradition - how about a single grain whisky,
they
> are much harder to get hold of.
> lfw do this one:
>
> "Invergordon C 13yo 67.8%alc.
> I don't recall seeing a whisky as stong as this one!
> A Cadenhead independent single cask strength bottling.
> See 'label explanations' above for more information.
> Price: £34.47 £40.50 Including VAT at 17.5% "

Thanks, Man - and others for your suggestions.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Dr. Compynei
January 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
"Tosh" wrote:

> Maybe Morrisons is better off without customers like you

Maybe...

Dr. Compynei
January 3rd 04, 08:26 PM

"Tosh" wrote:

> Maybe Morrisons is better off without customers like you

Maybe...

Dr. Compynei
January 3rd 04, 08:27 PM
"steeler" wrote

> Its not a reflection on morrisons or safeway - it is just like that for
> different areas. Near us we have three out of town brand new morrisons
> superstores and a dirty roach infested safeways.

Perhaps, but after the 'experience' of both our Morrisons' stores I wouldn't

Dr. Compynei
January 3rd 04, 08:27 PM
"steeler" wrote

> Its not a reflection on morrisons or safeway - it is just like that for
> different areas. Near us we have three out of town brand new morrisons
> superstores and a dirty roach infested safeways.

Perhaps, but after the 'experience' of both our Morrisons' stores I wouldn't

Dr. Compynei
January 3rd 04, 08:27 PM
"steeler" wrote

> Its not a reflection on morrisons or safeway - it is just like that for
> different areas. Near us we have three out of town brand new morrisons
> superstores and a dirty roach infested safeways.

Perhaps, but after the 'experience' of both our Morrisons' stores I wouldn't

Rufus A
January 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message >...
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?

If he really loves his wisky, and isn't based too far away from
London, rather than buying him a bottle, buy him some tickets to
Whisky Live:

http://www.whiskylive.com/

I went there last year, and it's stand upon stand of all the big
[malt] whisky names, and some specialists with bottles upon bottles of
all their wares all open ready for you to taste. Hefty drams of 40 yr
old malts from every corner of Scotland (and the odd Japanese and
American offering). Also a great place to meet like minded individuals
and talk about whisky! You even get a goody bag of drinkable things to
take home.

HTH - Rufus.

Rufus A
January 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message >...
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?

If he really loves his wisky, and isn't based too far away from
London, rather than buying him a bottle, buy him some tickets to
Whisky Live:

http://www.whiskylive.com/

I went there last year, and it's stand upon stand of all the big
[malt] whisky names, and some specialists with bottles upon bottles of
all their wares all open ready for you to taste. Hefty drams of 40 yr
old malts from every corner of Scotland (and the odd Japanese and
American offering). Also a great place to meet like minded individuals
and talk about whisky! You even get a goody bag of drinkable things to
take home.

HTH - Rufus.

Rufus A
January 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
"Doug Ramage" > wrote in message >...
> Looking for something different at a good price for brother in law's
> birthday.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions/deals?

If he really loves his wisky, and isn't based too far away from
London, rather than buying him a bottle, buy him some tickets to
Whisky Live:

http://www.whiskylive.com/

I went there last year, and it's stand upon stand of all the big
[malt] whisky names, and some specialists with bottles upon bottles of
all their wares all open ready for you to taste. Hefty drams of 40 yr
old malts from every corner of Scotland (and the odd Japanese and
American offering). Also a great place to meet like minded individuals
and talk about whisky! You even get a goody bag of drinkable things to
take home.

HTH - Rufus.

Doug Ramage
January 5th 04, 09:22 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> Doug Ramage wrote:
> > "Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> >>
> >>However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> >>usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
> >>
> >>I suspect he's after something more unusual...
> >>

> > Edinburgh?
> >
> > I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
> >

> My mistake Doug - thought I'd come across you on ed.general but, in
> retrospect, it looks like it was another newsgroup entirely. ;o)
>
> RM
> --

Thanks for all the suggestions and links - I might start drinking whisky
again myself. :)

Anyway, a bit of as cop-out, as Sainsburys had £5 off, I bought a 12 year
old Glenmorangie for my brother in law.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 5th 04, 09:22 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> Doug Ramage wrote:
> > "Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> >>
> >>However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> >>usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
> >>
> >>I suspect he's after something more unusual...
> >>

> > Edinburgh?
> >
> > I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
> >

> My mistake Doug - thought I'd come across you on ed.general but, in
> retrospect, it looks like it was another newsgroup entirely. ;o)
>
> RM
> --

Thanks for all the suggestions and links - I might start drinking whisky
again myself. :)

Anyway, a bit of as cop-out, as Sainsburys had £5 off, I bought a 12 year
old Glenmorangie for my brother in law.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***

Doug Ramage
January 5th 04, 09:22 PM
"Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> Doug Ramage wrote:
> > "Reestit Mutton" > wrote in message
> >>
> >>However, Doug is based in Edinburgh so I guess he's familiar with the
> >>usual range of Whiskies...otherwise I'd recommend Lagavulin myself.
> >>
> >>I suspect he's after something more unusual...
> >>

> > Edinburgh?
> >
> > I am about 5 miles south east of Cambridge. :)
> >

> My mistake Doug - thought I'd come across you on ed.general but, in
> retrospect, it looks like it was another newsgroup entirely. ;o)
>
> RM
> --

Thanks for all the suggestions and links - I might start drinking whisky
again myself. :)

Anyway, a bit of as cop-out, as Sainsburys had £5 off, I bought a 12 year
old Glenmorangie for my brother in law.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***