PDA

View Full Version : Download

Fredface
July 10th 03, 01:57 PM
Can someone suggest a good (free) spam removal program that I could
download? I've tried "Mailwasher" but it will not let me long in!

Thanks.

AbE
September 11th 03, 07:18 AM
"~Piper~" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:57:11 +0100, "Fredface" >
> scribbled in red crayon:
>
> >Can someone suggest a good (free) spam removal program that I could
> >download? I've tried "Mailwasher" but it will not let me long in!
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> Mailwasher is the one I use. You must have configured it incorrectly.
> You have to give it your ISP password and login name in order for it
> to access your account. Also, if your email account is open, your
> mail will go straight there instead of through Mailwasher first.
> Mailwasher, the free version, will not work with Hotmail. Tried that.
> I don't know of any other free removal program out there. Some will
> give you a trial period to use them but then you have to pay.
> My ISP has started doing a cool thing. They label what they consider
> to be spam with "SPAM" in the subject line so I have made a mail rule
> that directs it to a special folder. I check it now and then to be
> sure they haven't labeled any friend's address (they did it twice)
> with 'SPAM' then just delete them. I'm about ready to uninstall
> Mailwasher.
> Hope you find another one, or can figure out how to correct
> Mailwasher.
Spampal
www.spampal.org

What Is SpamPal?
SpamPal is a mail classification program that can help separate your spam
from the mail you really want to read.

What do I need to use SpamPal?
A machine running Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP.
A POP3 or IMAP4 mailbox.
A standard email program such as Outlook, Outlook Express or Eudora.
SpamPal does not work with:
AOL
Hotmail
Yahoo
Juno
MSN
Or any other proprietry mail system.
Users of Unix-based machines are advised to consider SpamAssassin.

How does SpamPal work?
SpamPal sits between your email program and your mailbox, checking your
email as you retrieve it. Any email messages that SpamPal considers to be
spam will be "tagged" with a special header; you simply configure your email
client to filter anything with this header into a separate folder and your
spam won't be mixed up with the rest of your email anymore!
But how does SpamPal know what is spam and what isn't? Well, it uses what
are called DNSBL lists. Patterned after the famous MAPS RBL, these are lists
of parts of the Internet that in one way or another facilitate spam. Any
email you get from a machine on one of these lists has an increased
probability of being spam. Some ISPs already block all email from machines
on some of these DNSBL lists, but many do not. This is where SpamPal comes
in.
You can choose to use any or all of the freely-usable DNSBL lists; SpamPal
will look at the machines each email message passed through on its way to
your mailbox, and if any of those machines is on one of the DNSBL lists you
have chosen then that message will be tagged as spam.
Because not everyone who uses a machine on a DNSBL list will be a spammer,
SpamPal has a powerful whitelisting feature that allows you to ignore DNSBL
listings for certain senders or for parts of the Internet.

AbE
September 14th 03, 09:51 PM

Google