PDA

View Full Version : Using water

Claire[_2_]
July 2nd 09, 12:21 PM
Hi - has anyone used one of those valves that you put on the shower
that helps keep water usage down?

There seems to be a conflict of interests hers - conserving water and
having enough flow to enjoy it!

Let me know what you think!

Al[_3_]
July 2nd 09, 03:45 PM
Claire wrote:
> Hi - has anyone used one of those valves that you put on the shower
> that helps keep water usage down?
>
> There seems to be a conflict of interests hers - conserving water and
> having enough flow to enjoy it!
>
> Let me know what you think!

To some extent it is a conflict of interest. However, the water saving
shower heads can deliver an effective spray with sufficient greater
pressure to just about duplicate the effect of the open flow shower.
When you go out in a mild rain, you get just as soaked as when the
rain is heavier. Wet is wet.

h[_6_]
July 2nd 09, 06:29 PM
> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 03:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Claire
> > wrote:
>

> Contrast that to those big flat disk-shaped showerheads that can use a
> couple of gallons per minute or more.

Those things are ridiculous. They use a ton of water yet there's not enough
pressure to rinse off long hair in a timely fashion. It's like standing
outside in the rain - yuck.

July 2nd 09, 06:45 PM
On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 03:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Claire
> wrote:

>Hi - has anyone used one of those valves that you put on the shower
>that helps keep water usage down?
>
>There seems to be a conflict of interests hers - conserving water and
>having enough flow to enjoy it!
>
>Let me know what you think!

There are valves, and then there are flow restrictors. The valves
allow you to cut off the water while lathering. The flow restrictors
minimize the stream of water. The key is to get a showerhead that
works well. In our travle trailer, with its diminutive shower, there
is a showerhead with both, making it possible to take a nice shower
using only 3 to 5 gallons of water, and a sponge bath with about a
gallon.

Contrast that to those big flat disk-shaped showerheads that can use a
couple of gallons per minute or more.

hoser1605
July 2nd 09, 11:04 PM
On Jul 2, 12:29 pm, "h" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 03:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Claire
> > > wrote:
>
> > Contrast that to those big flat disk-shaped showerheads that can use a
> > couple of gallons per minute or more.
>
> Those things are ridiculous. They use a ton of water yet there's not enough
> pressure to rinse off long hair in a timely fashion. It's like standing
> outside in the rain - yuck.

They work very well indeed. Water usage is much less and pressure is
more than adequate. Time for you to install a better one.

phil scott
July 2nd 09, 11:08 PM
On Jul 2, 3:21*am, Claire > wrote:
> Hi - has anyone used one of those valves that you put on the shower
> that helps keep water usage down?
>
> There seems to be a conflict of interests hers - conserving water and
> having enough flow to enjoy it!
>
> Let me know what you think!

phil scott
July 2nd 09, 11:14 PM
On Jul 2, 3:21*am, Claire > wrote:
> Hi - has anyone used one of those valves that you put on the shower
> that helps keep water usage down?
>
> There seems to be a conflict of interests hers - conserving water and
> having enough flow to enjoy it!
>
> Let me know what you think!

smartst move.. get a shower head you can slow to a crawl or open wide
when you want
the hard blast.

then lather up without it on at all.

then next time yer water heater fails or a year before it fails get an
instantaneous water heater.
that will cult hot water costs in half, more in cold climates.

between pre lathering, and instananeous water heating you should be
able to cut yer hot water/ water
costs to a fourth of current levels.... if you wanted to get super
frugal you could use some of the shower
water to flush der toilet with.... you could brush yer teeth when
visting neigbors and wait until you buy gas or go to the
grocery store to use the toilet.

Phil scott

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_]
July 4th 09, 06:15 AM
I went through a ton of showerheads that were lousy and/or didn't last
long until I found a Speakman one, and this one has lasted for years.

Claire wrote:
> Hi - has anyone used one of those valves that you put on the shower
> that helps keep water usage down?
>
> There seems to be a conflict of interests hers - conserving water and
> having enough flow to enjoy it!
>
> Let me know what you think!

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_]
July 4th 09, 06:17 AM
hoser1605 wrote:

> They work very well indeed. Water usage is much less and pressure is
> more than adequate. Time for you to install a better one.

You obviously don't have long, thick hair. It is tons harder for me to
get my hair thoroughly rinsed since we have to have low-flow shower
heads. I have been sorely tempted to take the shower head off to rinse
my hair. It would go faster and I would probably use less water.

The Real Bev[_7_]
July 4th 09, 07:05 AM
Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply wrote:

> hoser1605 wrote:
>>
>> They work very well indeed. Water usage is much less and pressure is
>> more than adequate. Time for you to install a better one.
>
> You obviously don't have long, thick hair. It is tons harder for me to
> get my hair thoroughly rinsed since we have to have low-flow shower
> heads. I have been sorely tempted to take the shower head off to rinse
> my hair. It would go faster and I would probably use less water.

The low-flow shower heads Sharper Image sold give you a hard blast, easily
rinsing hair. A 5-minute shower uses maybe 2 gallons of water -- I plugged the
tub, and there was only an inch of water in the bottom when I was done.

Don't know the brand, but it worked fine.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'm pretty sure omnipotent entities don't need

Bob F
July 4th 09, 04:51 PM
Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply wrote:
> hoser1605 wrote:
>>
>> They work very well indeed. Water usage is much less and pressure is
>> more than adequate. Time for you to install a better one.
>
> You obviously don't have long, thick hair. It is tons harder for me
> to get my hair thoroughly rinsed since we have to have low-flow shower
> heads. I have been sorely tempted to take the shower head off to
> rinse my hair. It would go faster and I would probably use less
> water.

There are good low-flow heads, and bad ones. The good ones can be very
effective. My guess is that the big flat ones spread out the water through too
many streams to have the rinsing power you want.

Restrictors in a high flow head are unlikely to work well.

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_]
July 5th 09, 05:26 AM
The Real Bev wrote:

> The low-flow shower heads Sharper Image sold give you a hard blast,
> easily rinsing hair. A 5-minute shower uses maybe 2 gallons of water --
> I plugged the tub, and there was only an inch of water in the bottom
> when I was done.
>
> Don't know the brand, but it worked fine.

Well, the Speakman one works tolerably well, but not as good as flushing
my hair with full-force water.

tmclone
July 5th 09, 02:59 PM
On Jul 4, 11:26*pm, Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply
> wrote:
>
> Well, the Speakman one works tolerably well, but not as good as flushing
> my hair with full-force water.

We have very hard water and before we finally got a softener we had to
replace the shower head once a year (after 10-11 cleanings the holes
refused to unblock). Being frugal, we bought the same $5 shower head
every time. That sucker is fantastic! It's not low-flow, but it has
several stream settings, and one of them is perfect for showering and
it actually rinses hair quickly! DH, whose hair is down to his thighs,
takes longer showers than do I (even though I have to wash my waist
length hair AND shave my legs) so we used him for a water use test
when we got the first one. He took a 6 minute shower, and it only used
2 gallons of water.

Google