PDA

View Full Version : Down the tubes

The Real Bev[_7_]
August 8th 09, 07:42 PM
This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers rot
in hell.

ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.

--
Cheers, Bev
"In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has

Annie Woughman
August 8th 09, 08:14 PM
"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers
> rot in hell.

I agree. Usenet used to be a great place for discussion, instruction and
just plain fun. Now it has been totally taken over by mindless spam-bots.
The people reponsible for that have no idea that they have destroyed such a
treasure--and what have they gained? Do they really think anyone is stupid
enough to respond to their idiotic postings?

> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> ================================================== ===============
> "In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has
> had to worry about where the next meal would come from."
> -- Peter S. Drucker, who invented management

Al[_3_]
August 9th 09, 01:23 AM
On Aug 8, 1:42 pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers rot
> in hell.
>
> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> ================================================== ===============
> "In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has
> had to worry about where the next meal would come from."
> -- Peter S. Drucker, who invented management

If it's not spam sellers, it's Indian kids trying to learn English. I
just Google the first few pages and don't look at anything in caps and
screwy catch fonts. MCFL has become the worst of what I look at.

My garage sales had been rather unproductive this year. I did find a
brand new 200GB USB for $20 early in the season. Then in the last week
I found XP Pro for $8 in the original package and a Canon i950 barely
used with new carts for $2. My confidence is restored.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 9th 09, 05:58 AM
Al wrote:
> On Aug 8, 1:42 pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
>> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the
>> spammers rot in hell.
>>
>> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.

> If it's not spam sellers, it's Indian kids trying to learn English. I
> just Google the first few pages and don't look at anything in caps and
> screwy catch fonts. MCFL has become the worst of what I look at.

Some of the quite specific tech groups have even lower volume than MCFL.

I dont see most of the spam, my news server strips most of it.

> My garage sales had been rather unproductive this year.

Mine havent been too bad at all. Rather quiet thru our winter, but thats not unusual.

> I did find a brand new 200GB USB for $20 early in the season. Then in the
> last week I found XP Pro for $8 in the original package and a Canon i950
> barely used with new carts for $2. My confidence is restored.

I did find a DSL voip router for peanuts, my preferred brand, Billion, for peanuts.
Unfortunately not wifi tho. I cant really justify the cost of a wifi voip router, so keep
using the voip ata that cost only $5 brand new instead. Not ideal since a proper
voip router with PSTN fallback handles my config of almost all incoming calls on
the PSTN and almost all of the outgoing calls using voip rather more elegantly
with just a single cordless system for the physical handsets.

Just got a virtually unused aluminum extension ladder for $5 yesterday.

And a Sunbeam Mixmaster, identical model to the to the one I had from
the 50s for less than the cost of new beaters alone on ebay, rather earlier.

NT[_2_]
August 9th 09, 12:59 PM
On Aug 8, 6:42*pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. *May the spammers rot
> in hell.
>
> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.

> "In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has
> * had to worry about where the next meal would come from."
> * * * * * * * * * * * -- Peter S. Drucker, who invented management

Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.

NT

Al[_3_]
August 9th 09, 04:23 PM
On Aug 9, 6:59 am, NT > wrote:
> On Aug 8, 6:42 pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
>
> > This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers rot
> > in hell.
>
> > ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.
> > "In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has
> > had to worry about where the next meal would come from."
> > -- Peter S. Drucker, who invented management
>
> Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.
>
> NT

The moderation would be easy. Just filter the spam and don't censor
anything else.

The Real Bev[_7_]
August 9th 09, 07:08 PM
Al wrote:

> On Aug 8, 1:42 pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
>> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers rot
>> in hell.
>>
>> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.
>
> If it's not spam sellers, it's Indian kids trying to learn English. I
> just Google the first few pages and don't look at anything in caps and
> screwy catch fonts. MCFL has become the worst of what I look at.
>
> My garage sales had been rather unproductive this year. I did find a
> brand new 200GB USB for $20 early in the season. Then in the last week
> I found XP Pro for $8 in the original package and a Canon i950 barely
> used with new carts for $2. My confidence is restored.

I'm still pretty happy about the $5 Volant skis/Marker M41 bindings/Goode poles
I got two weeks ago.

BTW, the former owners ended up paying us $1.50 to haul away their 88 DVDs for
$40 -- we sold a few of them (duplicates or really unwanted) to a used-DVD
store for $41.50.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

The Real Bev[_7_]
August 9th 09, 07:12 PM
Rod Speed wrote:

> Al wrote:
>> On Aug 8, 1:42 pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
>>> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the
>>> spammers rot in hell.
>>>
>>> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.
>
>> If it's not spam sellers, it's Indian kids trying to learn English. I
>> just Google the first few pages and don't look at anything in caps and
>> screwy catch fonts. MCFL has become the worst of what I look at.
>
> Some of the quite specific tech groups have even lower volume than MCFL.

It's hard to decide which are worse -- the spam or the posts by compulsive
loons that people seem to feel they have to refute. Either is extremely damaging.

> I dont see most of the spam, my news server strips most of it.

So does mine -- the bodies get eliminated immediately but the headers survive
until a later cleanup.

>> My garage sales had been rather unproductive this year.
>
> Mine havent been too bad at all. Rather quiet thru our winter, but thats not unusual.

The problem now is that we already have one each of everything :-(

>> I did find a brand new 200GB USB for $20 early in the season. Then in the
>> last week I found XP Pro for $8 in the original package and a Canon i950
>> barely used with new carts for $2. My confidence is restored.
>
> I did find a DSL voip router for peanuts, my preferred brand, Billion, for peanuts.
> Unfortunately not wifi tho. I cant really justify the cost of a wifi voip router, so keep
> using the voip ata that cost only $5 brand new instead. Not ideal since a proper
> voip router with PSTN fallback handles my config of almost all incoming calls on
> the PSTN and almost all of the outgoing calls using voip rather more elegantly
> with just a single cordless system for the physical handsets.
>
> Just got a virtually unused aluminum extension ladder for $5 yesterday.
>
> And a Sunbeam Mixmaster, identical model to the to the one I had from
> the 50s for less than the cost of new beaters alone on ebay, rather earlier.

Long ago we got my mom a GOOD Kitchen Aid mixer for $3. She loved that thing,
buying new beaters for it for $12.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
Why is it so hot and what am I doing in this handbasket?

The Real Bev[_7_]
August 9th 09, 07:21 PM
NT wrote:

> On Aug 8, 6:42 pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
>> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers rot
>> in hell.
>>
>> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.

Linksys for $2.50. Sorry, my error.

>> "In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has
>> had to worry about where the next meal would come from."
>> -- Peter S. Drucker, who invented management
>
> Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.

Bite your tongue. If you haven't participated in the process you really don't
know how difficult it is from beginning to end. Moreover, it kills the group
deader than the spam and loons. Adding a moderated version isn't as bad as
replacing the original with a moderated version. Examples:
rec.bicycles.off-road which replaced the original to avoid one particular loon
and which never really got off the ground because of the technical difficulties
in running a moderated group (you have to find a specific ISP host who will do
it for free, which is not all that common) and rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
which was added for a similar reason but which is rarely used.

PLEASE trust me on this.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
Why is it so hot and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 9th 09, 09:34 PM
The Real Bev wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Al wrote
>>> The Real Bev > wrote

>>> If it's not spam sellers, it's Indian kids trying to learn English.
>>> I just Google the first few pages and don't look at anything in
>>> caps and screwy catch fonts. MCFL has become the worst of what I
>>> look at.

>> Some of the quite specific tech groups have even lower volume than MCFL.

> It's hard to decide which are worse -- the spam or the posts by compulsive loons that people seem to feel they have to
> refute. Either is extremely damaging.

Cant agree about that last. Some of the groups I use do have a
number of completely barking mad rabid loons, including one rabid
holocaust denier. Everyone with even half a clue just ignores them.

Even easier to not even see the spam, use a decent cheap
news server that kills the spam before you even see it at all.

>> I dont see most of the spam, my news server strips most of it.

> So does mine -- the bodies get eliminated immediately but the headers survive until a later cleanup.

I dont even get the headers.

>>> My garage sales had been rather unproductive this year.

>> Mine havent been too bad at all. Rather quiet thru our winter, but thats not unusual.

> The problem now is that we already have one each of everything :-(

I've gone WAY past that now, have spares of all the stuff that matters.
MUCH more convenient to just reach for the spare when one dies.

The original bread machine suffered from a seal failure where the shaft
goes into the bottom of the mixing can. It was vastly cheaper to buy an
unused replacement at a garage sale than to buy a new can or seal.

I've since found two more in case the replacement fails as well. Looks like it isnt going to tho.

>>> I did find a brand new 200GB USB for $20 early in the season. Then in the last week I found XP Pro for $8 in the
>>> original package and a Canon i950 barely used with new carts for $2. My confidence is restored.

>> I did find a DSL voip router for peanuts, my preferred brand,
>> Billion, for peanuts. Unfortunately not wifi tho. I cant really
>> justify the cost of a wifi voip router, so keep using the voip ata
>> that cost only $5 brand new instead. Not ideal since a proper voip router with PSTN fallback handles my config of
>> almost all
>> incoming calls on the PSTN and almost all of the outgoing calls using voip rather more elegantly with just a single
>> cordless system for the physical handsets.

>> Just got a virtually unused aluminum extension ladder for $5 yesterday.

>> And a Sunbeam Mixmaster, identical model to the to the one I had from
>> the 50s for less than the cost of new beaters alone on ebay, rather earlier.

> Long ago we got my mom a GOOD Kitchen Aid mixer for $3. She loved that thing, buying new beaters for it for $12.

Yeah, I was stupid enough to use a metal knife as a scraper and managed
to bend my originals a tad. Still perfectly usable, but since the full mixmaster
and ceramic bowls was so cheap, I bought it in case I ever needed it. The
bowls are beautifual translucent ceramic like the Corelle plates etc and I
always did wonder about when I would drop one, hard floors. Havent yet tho.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 9th 09, 09:36 PM
Al wrote
> NT > wrote
>> The Real Bev > wrote

>>> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers rot in hell.

>>> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.

>> Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.

> The moderation would be easy. Just filter the spam and don't censor anything else.

No point, just use a news server that filters that spam auto. Mine costs peanuts.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 9th 09, 09:37 PM
NT wrote
> The Real Bev > wrote

>> This is the second day with no real messages, just spam. May the spammers rot in hell.

>> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.

> Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.

Newsgroups dont work like that. You're always welcome to
start another moderated one and watch almost no one use it.

NT[_2_]
August 10th 09, 11:59 AM
On Aug 9, 8:36*pm, "Rod Speed" > wrote:
> Al wrote
>
> > NT > wrote
> >> The Real Bev > wrote
> >> Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.
> > The moderation would be easy. Just filter the spam and don't censor anything else.
>
> No point, just use a news server that filters that spam auto. Mine costs peanuts.

that way the newcomers see a sea of spam and few join, and the group
slowly dies out

NT

h[_6_]
August 10th 09, 05:06 PM
"NT" > wrote in message
On Aug 9, 8:36 pm, "Rod Speed" > wrote:
> Al wrote
>
> > NT > wrote
> >> The Real Bev > wrote
> >> Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.
> > The moderation would be easy. Just filter the spam and don't censor
> > anything else.
>
> No point, just use a news server that filters that spam auto. Mine costs
> peanuts.

>that way the newcomers see a sea of spam and few join, and the group
>slowly dies out

How do you figure? Just because they're newcomers to a group doesn't mean
that they don't have spam filters themselves. What you wrote makes no sense.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 10th 09, 08:05 PM
NT wrote
> Rod Speed > wrote
>> Al wrote
>>> NT > wrote

>>> The moderation would be easy. Just filter the spam and don't censor anything else.

>> No point, just use a news server that filters that spam auto. Mine costs peanuts.

> that way the newcomers see a sea of spam

Not if they have enough of a clue to use a news server that filters the spam.

> and few join, and the group slowly dies out

That happens even with groups that dont get any spam.

And yes, my ISP's news server doesnt filter the spam and I can see which groups those are.

Usenet is dying, essentially because almost no one has even heard of it.

Even groups.google didnt stop that.

Dennis
August 10th 09, 10:01 PM
On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:21:07 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>NT wrote:
>> Perhaps time to vote to make the group moderated, and pick moderators.
>
>Bite your tongue. If you haven't participated in the process you really don't
>know how difficult it is from beginning to end. Moreover, it kills the group
>deader than the spam and loons. Adding a moderated version isn't as bad as
>replacing the original with a moderated version. Examples:
>rec.bicycles.off-road which replaced the original to avoid one particular loon
>and which never really got off the ground because of the technical difficulties
>in running a moderated group (you have to find a specific ISP host who will do
>it for free, which is not all that common) and rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
>which was added for a similar reason but which is rarely used.
>
>PLEASE trust me on this.

For a counter example of a very successful moderated newsgroup, see
rec.guns. Lively discussions, no spam, few off-topic posts or flame
wars. Particularly amazing given the topic. I don't know what it
takes, but it definitely works in at least this one case.
Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

JRWeiss
August 11th 09, 04:01 AM
Dennis wrote:

> For a counter example of a very successful moderated newsgroup, see
> rec.guns. Lively discussions, no spam, few off-topic posts or flame
> wars. Particularly amazing given the topic. I don't know what it
> takes, but it definitely works in at least this one case.

Now you did it... A rodless infestation will soon arrive! :(

The Real Bev[_7_]
August 13th 09, 10:33 PM
Dan Birchall wrote:

> (The Real Bev) wrote:
>> ObFrugal -- Today's yardsale find: A standard cablemodem for a buck.
>
> Overpriced. :)

Always handy to have a spare...

--
Cheers, Bev