PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Lexus ES300 - needs new driver-side headlight - please help

Anna
August 17th 09, 01:07 PM
What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts?
Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.

Hachiroku[_2_]
August 17th 09, 03:40 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:07:47 -0700, Anna wrote:

> What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts?
> Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.

$90, including $20 for a HEADLIGHT?!?!

Replacement Headlight Assembly - Right - Passenger Side

Your Price: $190.95

Quantity:
Part Number: 7524-02019983
Notes: w/o high intensity discharge

$90 is a bargain!

JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]
August 17th 09, 03:45 PM
"Anna" > wrote in message
> What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts?
> Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.

Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?

Anna
August 17th 09, 04:20 PM
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Anna" > wrote in message
> > What's the most economical way to replace with
> > quality/factory parts or better?
> > Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.
> >

> Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?

The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).

Jeff[_11_]
August 17th 09, 04:22 PM
On Aug 17, 10:20*am, "Anna" > wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

> > "Anna" > wrote in message
> > > What's the most economical way to replace with
> > > quality/factory parts or better?
> > > Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.
>
> > Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?
>
> The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).

You might just get the new bulb and have a local (i.e., non-dealer)
shop change the bulb. You can look in the owner's manual. It may tell
you how big of a job it is.

Jeff

JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]
August 17th 09, 04:27 PM
"Anna" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Anna" > wrote in message
>> > What's the most economical way to replace with
>> > quality/factory parts or better?
>> > Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.
>> >

>> Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?
>>

> The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).

I agree with Jeff. Ask everyone you know if they've got an independent
mechanic they've been happy with. If anyone says "Jiffy Lube", "Firestone",
etc., ignore those suggestions because those places are a crap shoot. You're
looking for someplace like "Scotty's Auto Repair", and when you get the
right kind of recommendation, the person you're talking to will go on
forever about why they like the place. That's how you know you've got a good
one, usually.

Got any friends who are good at this kind of stuff? If you see it done once,
you'll probably remember how to do it the next time.

Fatter Than Ever Moe
August 17th 09, 04:44 PM
Anna wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Anna" > wrote in message
>>> What's the most economical way to replace with
>>> quality/factory parts or better?
>>> Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.
>>>
>> Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?
>>

> The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).

Bring it by and I'll change it for 15 bucks, you buy the bulb of course....
Or, this is how it's done,
remember to use gloves or a rag when handling the bulbs....never touch
them unless you want to replace them in a month or so.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6862

Anna
August 17th 09, 04:57 PM
"Fatter Than Ever Moe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Anna wrote:
> >>>
> >> Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?
> >>

> > The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).
> >

> Bring it by and I'll change it for 15 bucks, you buy the bulb of course....
> Or, this is how it's done,
> remember to use gloves or a rag when handling the bulbs....never touch
> them unless you want to replace them in a month or so.
> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6862

Nice!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Where's a good place to buy the bulb?
I want quality/factory parts or better at a reasonable price.

JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]
August 17th 09, 05:13 PM
"Anna" > wrote in message

> "Fatter Than Ever Moe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Anna wrote:

>> > The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).
>> >

>> Bring it by and I'll change it for 15 bucks, you buy the bulb of
>> course....
>> Or, this is how it's done,
>> remember to use gloves or a rag when handling the bulbs....never touch
>> them unless you want to replace them in a month or so.
>> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6862
>
> Nice!!! Exactly what I was looking for.
>
> Where's a good place to buy the bulb?
> I want quality/factory parts or better at a reasonable price.

Any decent auto parts store is fine. You'll see brand names that you'll
recognize. But please - don't buy those stupid cold blue bulbs which make
other drivers want to send a bullet through your windshield.

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 17th 09, 05:44 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:20:36 -0700, Anna wrote:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Anna" > wrote in message
>> > What's the most economical way to replace with
>> > quality/factory parts or better?
>> > Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.
>> >

>> Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?
>>

> The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).

OH! In that case, $90 is *WAY* too much.

Even $10 would be too much, and even the most expensive bulb is $19, and
I'm sure your mechanic is not using that (SilverStar)

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 17th 09, 05:45 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:11:48 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> You can also find the same thing at WalMart and
> Target.

I buy a lot of stuff at Mall-Wart except bulbs. The *Pilots* I bought
burned out in *DAYS*! And of course I used a clean paper towel to aid in
handling the bulb.

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 17th 09, 05:46 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:13:47 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Anna" > wrote in message

>>> Bring it by and I'll change it for 15 bucks, you buy the bulb of
>>> course....
>>> Or, this is how it's done,
>>> remember to use gloves or a rag when handling the bulbs....never touch
>>> them unless you want to replace them in a month or so.
>>> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6862
>>
>> Nice!!! Exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>> Where's a good place to buy the bulb?
>> I want quality/factory parts or better at a reasonable price.
>>

> Any decent auto parts store is fine. You'll see brand names that you'll
> recognize. But please - don't buy those stupid cold blue bulbs which make
> other drivers want to send a bullet through your windshield.

Why?

That's what I use. Actually, that's what came with the Scion.

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 17th 09, 05:47 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:07:32 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Hachiroku" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:07:47 -0700, Anna wrote:
>>
>>> What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts?
>>> Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.
>>

>> $90, including $20 for a HEADLIGHT?!?!
>>

> Hachi, all she needs is the bulb, not the entire lamp assembly.

I realize that now. But when I saw "Headlight" for $20...

I should have been a little suspicious...

Jeff Strickland
August 17th 09, 06:06 PM
Your car takes one of several different types of standard bulbs.

Lift the hood, unscrew the lamp from the headlight assembly, buy a new lamp
and screw it in. There is a connector that has to be unplugged and plugged
back in, but otherwise this is a job that can be done by pretty much
anybody. The automaker works very hard to make this a job that can be done
at home and not require the services of yoru local garage.

The lamps ought to be replaced in pairs, one for each side of the car --
save the lamp that still works for an emergency spare to be used at a later
date.

Lamps are numbered, 9006, 9007, and others. Once you determine the model
number, there are various qualities of light that are available from
standard to ultra bright. (Part of the reason to replace in pairs is so that
both sides of the car produce the same quality of light.) You are required
to use the same number, 9006, 9007, and so on, but you can select from any
of the light spectrums (light qualities) that you think you prefer. Logic
would suggest that you want the brightest/whitest possible option.

Lamps are available at the autoparts department of such places as Target and
WalMart, as well as at auto parts stores. If yo are not comfortable
replacing the light youself, yoiu might have a neighbor or friend that can
handle the task with ease, or you might consider asking WalMart to install
them.

"Anna" > wrote in message
> What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts?
> Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.

Jeff Strickland
August 17th 09, 06:07 PM
"Hachiroku" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:07:47 -0700, Anna wrote:
>
>> What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts?
>> Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.
>

> $90, including $20 for a HEADLIGHT?!?!

Hachi, all she needs is the bulb, not the entire lamp assembly.

Jeff Strickland
August 17th 09, 06:11 PM
"Anna" > wrote in message

> "Fatter Than Ever Moe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Anna wrote:

>> > The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).
>> >

>> Bring it by and I'll change it for 15 bucks, you buy the bulb of
>> course....
>> Or, this is how it's done,
>> remember to use gloves or a rag when handling the bulbs....never touch
>> them unless you want to replace them in a month or so.
>> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6862
>
> Nice!!! Exactly what I was looking for.
>
> Where's a good place to buy the bulb?
> I want quality/factory parts or better at a reasonable price.

Your car takes a model <whatever> (typically expressed as 9004, 9006, 9007,
H1, H7, or others) that is widely available at the autoparts store on the
corner by your house. You can also find the same thing at WalMart and
Target. Once you identify the number, there are vairious selections of it
that define the brightness of the light that comes out. Bright = higher
cost, as a general rule. You should find bulbs in the $20 range.

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 17th 09, 06:29 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:57:48 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> Any decent auto parts store is fine. You'll see brand names that you'll
>>> recognize. But please - don't buy those stupid cold blue bulbs which make
>>> other drivers want to send a bullet through your windshield.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> That's what I use.
>
> That's as good a reason as "As Seen On TV". :-)

I like them. And ANY coating on any optic CUTS the amount of light
transmitted.

>> Actually, that's what came with the Scion.
>
> So? It's still a lousy reason.

JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]
August 17th 09, 09:57 PM
"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:13:47 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Nice!!! Exactly what I was looking for.
>>>
>>> Where's a good place to buy the bulb?
>>> I want quality/factory parts or better at a reasonable price.
>>>

>> Any decent auto parts store is fine. You'll see brand names that you'll
>> recognize. But please - don't buy those stupid cold blue bulbs which make
>> other drivers want to send a bullet through your windshield.
>
> Why?
>
> That's what I use.

That's as good a reason as "As Seen On TV". :-)

> Actually, that's what came with the Scion.

So? It's still a lousy reason.

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 17th 09, 11:45 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:57:35 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>> Your car takes a model <whatever> (typically expressed as 9004, 9006,
>>> 9007,
>>> H1, H7, or others) that is widely available at the autoparts store on the
>>> corner by your house. You can also find the same thing at WalMart and
>>> Target. Once you identify the number, there are vairious selections of it
>>> that define the brightness of the light that comes out. Bright = higher
>>> cost, as a general rule.
>>
>> Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
>> types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
>> tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.
>>
>> Dave
>

> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They have
> SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.

DAMN! Now I know who has the MONEY in this group!

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 17th 09, 11:46 PM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:59:03 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
>>> types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
>>> tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>

>> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They
>> have SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.
>>

> I did not take into account the "projector type" lamps. I'm not sure what
> the light source is in those, but I'm sure it can be replaced.

High-Intensity Discharge, for most high end systems.

In others, it's just a plain bulb with a focusing lens.

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 18th 09, 12:43 AM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:13:18 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:57:35 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>

>>> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They
>>> have
>>> SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.
>>
>> DAMN! Now I know who has the MONEY in this group!
>>

> The lights or the car gave me away?

The headlight bulb! $19-24 a pop for bulbs?!?!?

They must be pretty freakin' good...

> The car is a '94 that I bought used 4 years ago and have put something like
> 14,000 miles on it since I bought it.

Dave Garland
August 18th 09, 01:56 AM
Jeff Strickland wrote:

> Your car takes a model <whatever> (typically expressed as 9004, 9006, 9007,
> H1, H7, or others) that is widely available at the autoparts store on the
> corner by your house. You can also find the same thing at WalMart and
> Target. Once you identify the number, there are vairious selections of it
> that define the brightness of the light that comes out. Bright = higher
> cost, as a general rule.

Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.

Dave

Jeff Strickland
August 18th 09, 01:57 AM
"Dave Garland" > wrote in message
. ..
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>> Your car takes a model <whatever> (typically expressed as 9004, 9006,
>> 9007,
>> H1, H7, or others) that is widely available at the autoparts store on the
>> corner by your house. You can also find the same thing at WalMart and
>> Target. Once you identify the number, there are vairious selections of it
>> that define the brightness of the light that comes out. Bright = higher
>> cost, as a general rule.
>
> Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
> types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
> tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.
>
> Dave

I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They have
SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.

Jeff Strickland
August 18th 09, 01:59 AM
"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>> Your car takes a model <whatever> (typically expressed as 9004, 9006,
>>> 9007,
>>> H1, H7, or others) that is widely available at the autoparts store on
>>> the
>>> corner by your house. You can also find the same thing at WalMart and
>>> Target. Once you identify the number, there are vairious selections of
>>> it
>>> that define the brightness of the light that comes out. Bright = higher
>>> cost, as a general rule.
>>
>> Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
>> types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
>> tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.
>>
>> Dave
>

> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They
> have SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.

I did not take into account the "projector type" lamps. I'm not sure what
the light source is in those, but I'm sure it can be replaced.

Jeff Strickland
August 18th 09, 04:13 AM
"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:57:35 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>

>> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
>>> types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
>>> tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>

>> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They
>> have
>> SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.
>
> DAMN! Now I know who has the MONEY in this group!

The lights or the car gave me away?

The car is a '94 that I bought used 4 years ago and have put something like
14,000 miles on it since I bought it.

Anna
August 18th 09, 04:54 AM
Thanks!!! This is really good information.
I'm learning so much. I was thinking about
replacing both lamps. The good explanation confirms it.

Really appreciate all the guidance EVERYONE ...

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:13:18 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

>>> DAMN! Now I know who has the MONEY in this group!
>>>

>> The lights or the car gave me away?
>
> The headlight bulb! $19-24 a pop for bulbs?!?!?
>
> They must be pretty freakin' good...

My car takes 4 ...

Anna
August 18th 09, 04:58 AM
"Hachiroku *" > wrote in message

> >> I'll bet she could do the replacement herself. The gal at the auto
> >> parts store near my house, showed me how to do it.
> >>
> >> --
> >

> > I'm certain she could do it by herself, UNLESS there was some physical
> > obstruction that required some level of skills to remove and reinstall.
> > Having said that, my experience is that they try to not put stuff in the way
> > of the headlamp removal and installation path.
>
> Sometimes they place the battery in the way, usually on the dirver's side
> on Toyotas...

Yes, that's my case. The battery is slightly in the way.

Jeff Strickland
August 18th 09, 05:06 AM
This is really an easy job.

ONE RULE
Do NOT touch the glass of the new bulb with your fingers. These bulbs get
very hot as a normal function of their operation. The oils on your fingers
will make a hot spot on the glass that will cause it to explode. If you
happen to touch the glass, you _must_ clean it with alcohol and a catton
wipe (the type you use to remove makeup works well, a tissue works too, but
the cotton is better) before you install it.

The bulb has a connector on the back, the shape of the connector is part of
what designates the bulb as 9004, 9006, and so on.

The bulb is held in place inside the lamp assembly by a spring clip or by a
nut that you simply twist counterclockwise to remove. It should turn about
1/3 of a turn.

You would do well to actually buy the new bulbs first, but you could remove
the defective bulb and carry it to the store and match it up. I would not
hesitate to recommend the Silver Star (Sylvania, I think) or the Silver Star
Ultra. I'd encourage you to resist the temptation for the blue bulbs that
the "ricers" like to use. Having said that, I've not actually sat behind
blue lights, they might work very well, but I think they look hokey when
they are coming at me. All of these options are available as a 9004, 9006,
and so on.

"Anna" > wrote in message
> Thanks!!! This is really good information.
> I'm learning so much. I was thinking about
> replacing both lamps. The good explanation confirms it.
>
> Really appreciate all the guidance EVERYONE ...
>

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> Your car takes one of several different types of standard bulbs.
>>
>> Lift the hood, unscrew the lamp from the headlight assembly, buy a new
>> lamp
>> and screw it in. There is a connector that has to be unplugged and
>> plugged
>> back in, but otherwise this is a job that can be done by pretty much
>> anybody. The automaker works very hard to make this a job that can be
>> done
>> at home and not require the services of yoru local garage.
>>
>> The lamps ought to be replaced in pairs, one for each side of the car --
>> save the lamp that still works for an emergency spare to be used at a
>> later
>> date.
>>
>> Lamps are numbered, 9006, 9007, and others. Once you determine the model
>> number, there are various qualities of light that are available from
>> standard to ultra bright. (Part of the reason to replace in pairs is so
>> that
>> both sides of the car produce the same quality of light.) You are
>> required
>> to use the same number, 9006, 9007, and so on, but you can select from
>> any
>> of the light spectrums (light qualities) that you think you prefer. Logic
>> would suggest that you want the brightest/whitest possible option.
>>
>> Lamps are available at the autoparts department of such places as Target
>> and
>> WalMart, as well as at auto parts stores. If yo are not comfortable
>> replacing the light youself, yoiu might have a neighbor or friend that
>> can
>> handle the task with ease, or you might consider asking WalMart to
>> install
>> them.
>>

>> "Anna" > wrote in message
>> > What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts?
>> > Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.

Dave Garland
August 18th 09, 06:50 AM
Anna wrote:
> Thanks!!! This is really good information.
> I'm learning so much. I was thinking about
> replacing both lamps. The good explanation confirms it.

It's a good idea, but...

my preference is for replacing the dead one and carrying having a
spare to replace the other when it dies. I've seen more than one
person online bemoaning that they replaced both (usually with a
variety that was bright but shorter life) and they were so evenly
matched that when one burned out, the other promptly did so as well.

I'd rather have a little more inconvenience but less risk of losing
them both, the thought of losing both on a backwoods Wisconsin road at
midnight is a little unsettling. Besides, I'm frugal, and if it ain't
burned out, I'm not going to replace it.

If you mostly drive in lit areas, it wouldn't make much difference.

As someone else said, it's important with halogens not to get
fingerprints on the glass, it's not hard but you have to remember.

Dave

Jeff Strickland
August 18th 09, 06:58 AM
"Dave Garland" > wrote in message
> Anna wrote:
>> Thanks!!! This is really good information.
>> I'm learning so much. I was thinking about
>> replacing both lamps. The good explanation confirms it.
>
> It's a good idea, but...
>
> my preference is for replacing the dead one and carrying having a
> spare to replace the other when it dies. I've seen more than one
> person online bemoaning that they replaced both (usually with a
> variety that was bright but shorter life) and they were so evenly
> matched that when one burned out, the other promptly did so as well.
>
> I'd rather have a little more inconvenience but less risk of losing
> them both, the thought of losing both on a backwoods Wisconsin road at
> midnight is a little unsettling. Besides, I'm frugal, and if it ain't
> burned out, I'm not going to replace it.
>
> If you mostly drive in lit areas, it wouldn't make much difference.
>
> As someone else said, it's important with halogens not to get
> fingerprints on the glass, it's not hard but you have to remember.
>
> Dave

There is no correlation to two new bulbs affecting each other. Indeed, there
is no correlation to the new bulb affecting the old one. The only
correlation is that if one old bulb has burned out, the other old bulb is
not far behind.

Headlamps should be replaced in pairs, one on each side of the car.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 18th 09, 07:01 AM
Dave Garland wrote:
> Anna wrote:
>> Thanks!!! This is really good information.
>> I'm learning so much. I was thinking about
>> replacing both lamps. The good explanation confirms it.
>
> It's a good idea, but...
>
> my preference is for replacing the dead one and carrying having a
> spare to replace the other when it dies. I've seen more than one
> person online bemoaning that they replaced both (usually with a
> variety that was bright but shorter life) and they were so evenly
> matched that when one burned out, the other promptly did so as well.

> I'd rather have a little more inconvenience but less risk of losing
> them both, the thought of losing both on a backwoods Wisconsin
> road at midnight is a little unsettling.

Trivially handled by having a new pair as spares.

> Besides, I'm frugal, and if it ain't burned out, I'm not going to replace it.

Tight is the word, not frugal.

> If you mostly drive in lit areas, it wouldn't make much difference.

You're unlikely to lose both high and low beam on the one trip.

> As someone else said, it's important with halogens not to get
> fingerprints on the glass, it's not hard but you have to remember.

Anna
August 18th 09, 07:10 AM
Found a link with nice pics ...
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting/78871-97-2000-es300-hid-install-everyth
ing-you-want-to-know.html

> [...]
> >> standard to ultra bright. (Part of the reason to replace in pairs is so
> >> that
> >> both sides of the car produce the same quality of light.) You are
> >> required
> >> to use the same number, 9006, 9007, and so on, but you can select from
> >> any
> >> of the light spectrums (light qualities) that you think you prefer. Logic
> >> would suggest that you want the brightest/whitest possible option.
> >>
> >> Lamps are available at the autoparts department of such places as Target
> >> and
> >> WalMart, as well as at auto parts stores. If yo are not comfortable
> >> replacing the light youself, yoiu might have a neighbor or friend that
> >> can
> >> handle the task with ease, or you might consider asking WalMart to

August 18th 09, 03:35 PM
Jeff Strickland wrote:

> There is no correlation to two new bulbs affecting each other. Indeed, there
> is no correlation to the new bulb affecting the old one.

I didn't say they affected each other.

> The only
> correlation is that if one old bulb has burned out, the other old bulb is
> not far behind.

True (unless perhaps some other electrical problem is involved). And
in the worst-case event, that both bulbs last _exactly_ their rated
life, they both burn out at the same time. I agree, it doesn't seem
probable. But I have seen people describing situations where both
went out within a few hours of each other.

> Headlamps should be replaced in pairs, one on each side of the car.

Why? Other than for convenience in replacement?

I'm currently running with one higher-output bulb (put in three months
ago) and one standard bulb (put in who knows when.. before I bought
the car two years ago). I assure you, it works just fine, although it
may offend your sense of symmetry.

Dave

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 19th 09, 12:30 AM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:54:39 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> The lights or the car gave me away?
>>
>> The headlight bulb! $19-24 a pop for bulbs?!?!?
>>
>> They must be pretty freakin' good...
>>

> My car takes 4 ...

You got the round 3-piece lights?

They used to be illegal, but we knew where to get them.

$80 for headlights?

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 19th 09, 12:32 AM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:58:50 -0700, Anna wrote:

> "Hachiroku *" > wrote in message

>> > I'm certain she could do it by herself, UNLESS there was some physical
>> > obstruction that required some level of skills to remove and reinstall.
>> > Having said that, my experience is that they try to not put stuff in the way
>> > of the headlamp removal and installation path.
>>
>> Sometimes they place the battery in the way, usually on the dirver's side
>> on Toyotas...
>>

> Yes, that's my case. The battery is slightly in the way.

You may be able to sneak around it OK. I know on one of my Yotas, I had to
move it out of the way, but on the other I was able to get it in and out,
but not too easily.

I love Toyotas, but I'd like to go to Japan once in a while and punch an
engineer in the nose. Like, you're supposed to change the oil when the
engine is warm, but WHO PUTS AN OIL FILTER RIGHT UNDER THE EXHAUST HEADER?!?!?!

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Anna
August 19th 09, 02:58 PM
"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Jeff Strickland wrote:
> >
> >> Your car takes a model <whatever> (typically expressed as 9004, 9006,
> >> 9007,
> >> H1, H7, or others) that is widely available at the autoparts store on the
> >> corner by your house. You can also find the same thing at WalMart and
> >> Target. Once you identify the number, there are vairious selections of it
> >> that define the brightness of the light that comes out. Bright = higher
> >> cost, as a general rule.
> >
> > Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
> > types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
> > tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.
> >
> > Dave
>

> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They have
> SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.

Found the following info with this link ...
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide

2000 LEXUS ES300 (With halogen capsule headlamps)

Low beam headlamp
H7
H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

The SilverStar Ultra H7 SU costs ~$20-$40 for twin pack on Amazon,
which is not bad. Does this sound right?

Hachiroku ハチロク
August 19th 09, 05:14 PM
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:55:45 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> My car takes 4 ...
>>
>> You got the round 3-piece lights?
>>
>> They used to be illegal, but we knew where to get them.
>>
>> $80 for headlights?
>>

> ???
>
> I have the 5 1/4 inch round lamps, two low beam and two high beam. That's
> four bulbs, closer to $25 ea. when I bought them. I think the price has come
> down a few dollars since the Ultras came out.

ARE THEY WORTH $100?!?!?!?!?!

Jeff Strickland
August 19th 09, 05:55 PM
"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:54:39 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

>>> The headlight bulb! $19-24 a pop for bulbs?!?!?
>>>
>>> They must be pretty freakin' good...
>>>

>> My car takes 4 ...
>
> You got the round 3-piece lights?
>
> They used to be illegal, but we knew where to get them.
>
> $80 for headlights?

???

I have the 5 1/4 inch round lamps, two low beam and two high beam. That's
four bulbs, closer to $25 ea. when I bought them. I think the price has come
down a few dollars since the Ultras came out.

Jeff Strickland
August 19th 09, 06:01 PM
"Anna" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb
>> > types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a
>> > tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.
>> >
>> > Dave
>>

>> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They
>> have
>> SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.
>>

> Found the following info with this link ...
> http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide
>
> 2000 LEXUS ES300 (With halogen capsule headlamps)
>
> Low beam headlamp
> H7
> H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest
> Halogen
> H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
> H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
> H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
> H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
>

> The SilverStar Ultra H7 SU costs ~$20-$40 for twin pack on Amazon,
> which is not bad. Does this sound right?

Yes, it sounds about right.

But you can cruise over to WalMart and get them for the same price ~ 34
dollars for a pair. Target has them too. Not to mention all of the autoparts
chain stores. I'd not buy these on Amazon. There is no price advantage, and
there's a delay in getting them to your house.

If you have a 120 mile drive into town to go to WalMart, then perhaps Amazon
makes sense.

Jeff Strickland
August 20th 09, 02:28 AM
"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:55:45 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

>>> You got the round 3-piece lights?
>>>
>>> They used to be illegal, but we knew where to get them.
>>>
>>> $80 for headlights?
>>>

>> ???
>>
>> I have the 5 1/4 inch round lamps, two low beam and two high beam. That's
>> four bulbs, closer to $25 ea. when I bought them. I think the price has
>> come
>> down a few dollars since the Ultras came out.
>
> ARE THEY WORTH $100?!?!?!?!?!

It's hard to say. I've never had the $10 lamps, so I don't know how much
better the $25 lamps are. The $25 lamps are very nice ...

Anna
August 20th 09, 07:03 AM
"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Anna" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Dave Garland" > wrote in message
> >> . ..

> >> I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They
> >> have
> >> SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.
> >>

> > Found the following info with this link ...

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide

> > 2000 LEXUS ES300 (With halogen capsule headlamps)
> >
> > Low beam headlamp
> > H7
> > H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest
> > Halogen
> > H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
> > H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
> > H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
> > H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
> >

> > The SilverStar Ultra H7 SU costs ~$20-$40 for twin pack on Amazon,
> > which is not bad. Does this sound right?
> >

> Yes, it sounds about right.
>
> But you can cruise over to WalMart and get them for the same price ~ 34
> dollars for a pair. Target has them too. Not to mention all of the autoparts
> chain stores. I'd not buy these on Amazon. There is no price advantage, and
> there's a delay in getting them to your house.
>
> If you have a 120 mile drive into town to go to WalMart, then perhaps Amazon
> makes sense.

I was just checking online/amazon to get an idea of pricing.
The Wal-Mart that I visited stocked the standard SilverStar (not Ultra).
The Target that I went to didn't have anything close. Then,
I later found out by taking the bad headlamp out that
it was actually an HID (not halogen) headlamp,
which Kragen wanted to charge over $120 for "one". Ouch!
At that price, I don't think I will be getting a pair.

Ray O
August 20th 09, 06:40 PM
"Anna" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

>> > Found the following info with this link ...
>> >
> http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide
>> >
>> > 2000 LEXUS ES300 (With halogen capsule headlamps)
>> >
>> > Low beam headlamp
>> > H7
>> > H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and
>> > Brightest
>> > Halogen
>> > H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter
>> > Halogen
>> > H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
>> > H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
>> > H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
>> >

>> > The SilverStar Ultra H7 SU costs ~$20-$40 for twin pack on Amazon,
>> > which is not bad. Does this sound right?
>> >

>> Yes, it sounds about right.
>>
>> But you can cruise over to WalMart and get them for the same price ~ 34
>> dollars for a pair. Target has them too. Not to mention all of the
>> autoparts
>> chain stores. I'd not buy these on Amazon. There is no price advantage,
>> and
>> there's a delay in getting them to your house.
>>
>> If you have a 120 mile drive into town to go to WalMart, then perhaps
>> Amazon
>> makes sense.
>>

> I was just checking online/amazon to get an idea of pricing.
> The Wal-Mart that I visited stocked the standard SilverStar (not Ultra).
> The Target that I went to didn't have anything close. Then,
> I later found out by taking the bad headlamp out that
> it was actually an HID (not halogen) headlamp,
> which Kragen wanted to charge over $120 for "one". Ouch!
> At that price, I don't think I will be getting a pair.

The HID bulbs have a metal tab or band running down the side. $120 for 1
HID bulb is a good price. HID bulbs last a long time, so I would not
recommend replacing one that is working or keeping one in stock.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Anna
August 21st 09, 08:10 AM
"Ray O" > wrote in message

> "Anna" > wrote in message

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide

> >> Yes, it sounds about right.
> >>
> >> But you can cruise over to WalMart and get them for the same price ~ 34
> >> dollars for a pair. Target has them too. Not to mention all of the
> >> autoparts
> >> chain stores. I'd not buy these on Amazon. There is no price advantage,
> >> and
> >> there's a delay in getting them to your house.
> >>
> >> If you have a 120 mile drive into town to go to WalMart, then perhaps
> >> Amazon
> >> makes sense.
> >>

> > I was just checking online/amazon to get an idea of pricing.
> > The Wal-Mart that I visited stocked the standard SilverStar (not Ultra).
> > The Target that I went to didn't have anything close. Then,
> > I later found out by taking the bad headlamp out that
> > it was actually an HID (not halogen) headlamp,
> > which Kragen wanted to charge over $120 for "one". Ouch!
> > At that price, I don't think I will be getting a pair.
> >

> The HID bulbs have a metal tab or band running down the side. $120 for 1
> HID bulb is a good price. HID bulbs last a long time, so I would not
> recommend replacing one that is working or keeping one in stock.
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)

Thanks, luckily, I found much better pricing online.

Google