PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the asking price for a new car

john royce
August 17th 09, 06:52 PM
Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini, buying
in London (u.k.) ?

A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw dealers
on what they charge for extras, but will not compete on the basic price on
the car? Is this really the case?

Is there any way to beat down the price a bit, bearing in mind the state of
the economy etc,etc. Thanks for advice.

Adrian[_1_]
August 17th 09, 07:02 PM
"john royce" > gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

> Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini,
> buying in London (u.k.) ?
>
> A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw
> dealers on what they charge for extras, but will not compete on the
> basic price on the car? Is this really the case?

Clearly, for that dealer, it is.

Unless you're suggesting they lied and might change their mind.

> Is there any way to beat down the price a bit

<passes telephone & Mini dealer list>

Lou
August 17th 09, 07:30 PM
"john royce" > wrote in message
> Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini,
> buying in London (u.k.) ?
>
> A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw
> dealers on what they charge for extras, but will not compete on the basic
> price on the car? Is this really the case?
>
> Is there any way to beat down the price a bit, bearing in mind the state
> of the economy etc,etc. Thanks for advice.

In the US, the way to bring down the price of a new car, of any make and
model, is to make a counteroffer, and haggle from there. Do your research
first, before talking with the dealer - once you've made a counteroffer, the
final price isn't going to be any lower. If you're not satisfied with where
you end up, get up and walk out. Try at some other dealer.

The state of the economy has nothing to do with it - the dealership has some
bottom line price in mind, and is unlikely to sell at a loss regardless of
the economy.

Why do you have "new" in quotes?

Miike G
August 17th 09, 07:47 PM
"john royce" > wrote in message
> Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini,
> buying in London (u.k.) ?
>
> A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw
> dealers on what they charge for extras, but will not compete on the basic
> price on the car? Is this really the case?
>
> Is there any way to beat down the price a bit, bearing in mind the state
> of the economy etc,etc. Thanks for advice.

The price of new Minis appears to be unnafected by the economic downturn.
Even very late low mileage s/h ones are fetching near new prices.
As long as buyers are prepared to pay the book price, why should dealers
offer discounts?.
Mike.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 17th 09, 08:12 PM
john royce wrote:

> Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini, buying in London (u.k.) ?

> A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw dealers on what they charge for extras, but will
> not compete on the basic price on the car? Is this really the case?

Try ringing other dealers and asking them about that.

It may be the case if there is plenty of demand for that model
compared with the supply.

> Is there any way to beat down the price a bit, bearing in mind the state of the economy etc,etc.

I rang the vast bulk of the dealers for the car I wanted
to buy in my state capital, got the best price and rubbed
my local dealer's nose in the best price I could find.

The dealer principal did claim that he would have to pay
a higher delivery charge than those others, including the
dealer in the rather bigger next town, so I basically got
the best price I could find with the higher delivery charge.

That was before the complete implosion of the world financial system and
was with a car which had plenty of supply tho, a Hyundai Getz, in Australia.

George[_1_]
August 18th 09, 02:21 PM
john royce wrote:
> Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini, buying
> in London (u.k.) ?

What is the significance of 'new'?

> A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw dealers
> on what they charge for extras, but will not compete on the basic price on
> the car? Is this really the case?

Why not ask other dealers? Thats pretty much how you find conditions
local to you for whatever you are buying.

> Is there any way to beat down the price a bit, bearing in mind the state of
> the economy etc,etc. Thanks for advice.

BTW Mini is a brand. Saying "BMW Mini" is like saying "Toyota Lexus".

Zimmy[_3_]
August 18th 09, 03:27 PM
"john royce" > wrote in message
> Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini,
> buying in London (u.k.) ?
>
> A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw
> dealers on what they charge for extras, but will not compete on the basic
> price on the car? Is this really the case?
>
> Is there any way to beat down the price a bit, bearing in mind the state
> of the economy etc,etc. Thanks for advice.

Yes, go for the daft estate with the door on the wrong side, bound to get a
reduction on that.

Alternatively buy something less popular, supply and demand and all that.

Zimmy[_3_]
August 18th 09, 03:34 PM
"George" > wrote in message

> BTW Mini is a brand. Saying "BMW Mini" is like saying "Toyota Lexus".

Yes, not many Jaguar owners call it "Tata Jaguar".

Steve Firth
August 18th 09, 05:22 PM
George > wrote:

> BTW Mini is a brand. Saying "BMW Mini" is like saying "Toyota Lexus".

Really? Can you point to the vehicle that was badged "Lexus" that was
assembled by BMC/BLMC/BL/Austin-Rover/Rover before Toyota started
building them? I seem to have missed that particular model.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 18th 09, 08:10 PM
George wrote:
> john royce wrote:
>> Is there any way to bring down the asking price on a 'new' BMW mini,
>> buying in London (u.k.) ?
>

> What is the significance of 'new'?
>

>> A local bmw dealer has just said they will *compete* with other bmw
>> dealers on what they charge for extras, but will not compete on the
>> basic price on the car? Is this really the case?
>

> Why not ask other dealers? Thats pretty much how you find conditions
> local to you for whatever you are buying.
>

>> Is there any way to beat down the price a bit, bearing in mind the
>> state of the economy etc,etc. Thanks for advice.
>>

> BTW Mini is a brand. Saying "BMW Mini" is like saying "Toyota Lexus".

Nothing like when there are other minis other than the BMW.

Ttoommy
August 18th 09, 08:30 PM
"Zimmy" > wrote in message

> Yes, go for the daft estate with the door on the wrong side, bound to get
> a reduction on that.
>
> Alternatively buy something less popular, supply and demand and all that.

You get a big discount on a car andi t means its not "popular" resulting in
low prices when you come to sell it

make sure you have air con. and the 5 year service plan (150 when buying
new?) means you will be a happy bunny when its time to p/ex (compared with
just about every other car on the market)

BMW in the downturn just made less cars to protect their image and 2nh hand
values

Steve Firth
August 18th 09, 08:53 PM
Ttoommy > wrote:

> BMW in the downturn just made less cars to protect their image and 2nh hand
> values

BMW cars were actually smaller "in the downturn" were they Toomy? What
did they do, lop 10% off the size of the 3-series? Is it like the way
that Mars bars get smaller in a recession?

George[_1_]
August 18th 09, 09:02 PM
Steve Firth wrote:
> George > wrote:
>
>> BTW Mini is a brand. Saying "BMW Mini" is like saying "Toyota Lexus".
>
> Really? Can you point to the vehicle that was badged "Lexus" that was
> assembled by BMC/BLMC/BL/Austin-Rover/Rover before Toyota started
> building them? I seem to have missed that particular model.

Can you point me to a place where I can buy a new Mini that is made by
*any* of the prior owners of that brand?

Adrian[_1_]
August 18th 09, 10:17 PM
George > gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

>>> BTW Mini is a brand. Saying "BMW Mini" is like saying "Toyota Lexus".

>> Really? Can you point to the vehicle that was badged "Lexus" that was
>> assembled by BMC/BLMC/BL/Austin-Rover/Rover before Toyota started
>> building them? I seem to have missed that particular model.

> Can you point me to a place where I can buy a new Mini that is made by
> *any* of the prior owners of that brand?

It's fairly easy to find people who'll provide you with ones that are
"new", though.

Steve Firth
August 19th 09, 12:23 AM
George > wrote:

> Steve Firth wrote:
> > George > wrote:
> >
> >> BTW Mini is a brand. Saying "BMW Mini" is like saying "Toyota Lexus".
> >
> > Really? Can you point to the vehicle that was badged "Lexus" that was
> > assembled by BMC/BLMC/BL/Austin-Rover/Rover before Toyota started
> > building them? I seem to have missed that particular model.
>
> Can you point me to a place where I can buy a new Mini that is made by
> *any* of the prior owners of that brand?

What's that got to do with the price of fish? The Mini was manufactured
both by BL and by BMW. It's necessary to make a distinction between the
two.

George[_1_]
August 19th 09, 03:56 AM
Steve Firth wrote:
> George > wrote:
>
>> Steve Firth wrote:

>>> Really? Can you point to the vehicle that was badged "Lexus" that was
>>> assembled by BMC/BLMC/BL/Austin-Rover/Rover before Toyota started
>>> building them? I seem to have missed that particular model.
>> Can you point me to a place where I can buy a new Mini that is made by
>> *any* of the prior owners of that brand?
>
> What's that got to do with the price of fish? The Mini was manufactured
> both by BL and by BMW. It's necessary to make a distinction between the
> two.

You said you were buying a 'new' car. Maybe thats why I am confused
because new generally means recently manufactured and unused. Maybe
'new' means something else to you. You called me on my statement. I then
asked if you could point me to a place where I can buy a *new* Mini that
is made by *any* of the prior owners. You can't because it hasn't been
manufactured by anyone else since ~ 2000

Ttoommy
August 19th 09, 09:23 AM
I would call you a pedant but you'd only get your solicitor to sort me out
'cos its libel - innit

You can never see a belt without wishing to hit below it can you - I KNOW
that says more about you than me luv;-)
"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ttoommy > wrote:
>
>> BMW in the downturn just made fewer (OK?) cars to protect their image
>> and 2nd hand
>> values
>
> BMW cars were actually smaller "in the downturn" were they Toomy? What
> did they do, lop 10% off the size of the 3-series? Is it like the way
> my dick got smaller in a recession?

Steve Firth
August 19th 09, 12:10 PM
George > wrote:

> You said you were buying a 'new' car.

No I didn't.

Ttoommy
August 21st 09, 08:56 AM
Oh Filth caught by your own mean spirited pedantry

Look at the subject line and then deny we're talking - new

Prawn#

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
.. .
> George > wrote:
>
>> You said you were buying a 'new' car.
>
> No I didn't.

Steve Firth
August 21st 09, 11:19 AM
Ttoommy > wrote:

> "Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > George > wrote:
> >
> >> You said you were buying a 'new' car.
> >
> > No I didn't.
>
> Oh Filth caught by your own mean spirited pedantry

I wasn't "caught" by anything, you tuppeny retard. I did not say that I
was buying a new car, that was someone else.

> Look at the subject line and then deny we're talking - new

Look at what "George" said and try to understand it, you drooling
halfwit.

> Prawn#

Charlie[_6_]
August 21st 09, 03:41 PM
On Aug 21, 10:19*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Ttoommy > wrote:
> > "Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> .. .

> > > No I didn't.
>
> > Oh Filth caught by your own mean spirited pedantry
>
> I wasn't "caught" by anything, you tuppeny retard. I did not say that I
> was buying a new car, that was someone else.
>
> > Look at the subject line and then deny we're talking - * new
>
> Look at what "George" said and try to understand it, you drooling
> halfwit.
>

> > Prawn#

Maybe better to be a "drooling halfwit" than someone with a string of
failed business ventures behind them, many of which have meant OAPs
losing considerable amounts of money!

Duke
August 24th 09, 10:28 PM
On 21 Aug, 14:41, Charlie > wrote:
> On Aug 21, 10:19*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
>

> > Ttoommy > wrote:
> > > "Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> > .. .

> > > Oh Filth caught by your own mean spirited pedantry
>
> > I wasn't "caught" by anything, you tuppeny retard. I did not say that I
> > was buying a new car, that was someone else.
>
> > > Look at the subject line and then deny we're talking - * new
>
> > Look at what "George" said and try to understand it, you drooling
> > halfwit.
>
> > > Prawn#
>
> Maybe better to be a "drooling halfwit" than someone with a string of
> failed business ventures behind them, many of which have meant OAPs
> losing considerable amounts of money!

Odd, that's exactly whyyou got closed down by trading standards. One
can only wonder why you would draw attention to your own crimes.

Charlie[_6_]
August 24th 09, 11:50 PM
On Aug 24, 9:28*pm, Duke > wrote:
> On 21 Aug, 14:41, Charlie > wrote:

> > > .. .

> > > I wasn't "caught" by anything, you tuppeny retard. I did not say that I
> > > was buying a new car, that was someone else.

> > > Look at what "George" said and try to understand it, you drooling
> > > halfwit.

> > Maybe better to be a "drooling halfwit" than someone with a string of
> > failed business ventures behind them, many of which have meant OAPs
> > losing considerable amounts of money!
>
> Odd, that's exactly whyyou got closed down by trading standards. One
> can only wonder why you would draw attention to your own crimes.

RTGF

Duke
August 25th 09, 08:47 AM
On 24 Aug, 22:50, Charlie > wrote:
> On Aug 24, 9:28*pm, Duke > wrote:

> > > Maybe better to be a "drooling halfwit" than someone with a string of
> > > failed business ventures behind them, many of which have meant OAPs
> > > losing considerable amounts of money!
>
> > Odd, that's exactly whyyou got closed down by trading standards. One
> > can only wonder why you would draw attention to your own crimes.
>
> RTGF

Seems you admit your crimes

Charlie[_6_]
August 25th 09, 09:51 AM
On Aug 25, 7:47*am, Duke > wrote:
> On 24 Aug, 22:50, Charlie > wrote:

> > > Odd, that's exactly whyyou got closed down by trading standards. One
> > > can only wonder why you would draw attention to your own crimes.
>
> > RTGF
>
> Seems you admit your crimes

SDER

Duke
August 26th 09, 07:31 PM
On 25 Aug, 08:51, Charlie > wrote:
> On Aug 25, 7:47*am, Duke > wrote:

> > > RTGF
>
> > Seems you admit your crimes
>
> SDER

MORON!

Richard[_7_]
August 26th 09, 08:40 PM
On Aug 26, 6:31*pm, Duke > wrote:
> On 25 Aug, 08:51, Charlie > wrote:

> > > Seems you admit your crimes
>
> > SDER
>
> MORON!

GEDS

Duke
August 27th 09, 07:55 PM
On 26 Aug, 19:40, Richard > wrote:
> On Aug 26, 6:31*pm, Duke > wrote:

> > > SDER
>
> > MORON!
>
> GEDS

Still having trouble with your "wongful" (sic) spelling, I see!
Clueless Chris strikes again!

Google