PDA

View Full Version : Where is the VCR's replacement?

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 28th 09, 12:44 AM
OhioGuy wrote:

> My wife and I are still using our VCR.

What dinosaurs.

> We got one of those digital tuners so that we could keep using the tube tv after things switched to ATSC.

> I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose
> between using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.

There are indeed.

> I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now - something you can use to just see what is on
> broadcast TV, set up recording,

There are indeed.

> and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going for. ($60 x 3 = $180)

I didnt even pay $60 for the digital tuner that can record to all of those you listed.
Only paid $40 for it.

> Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have replaced them.

That last is just plain wrong. Have a look at Tivos sometime. They aint alone.

> All I see in the stores are loads and loads of players that essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.

Then you need to get out more.

> Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up, and which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly
> fee. But where is the replacement for the VCR?

Where you buy any consumer electronics.

> I want one!

You can buy one any time you get off your lard arse.

OhioGuy
August 28th 09, 01:40 AM
My wife and I are still using our VCR. We got one of those digital tuners
so that we could keep using the tube tv after things switched to ATSC.

I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose between
using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.

I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now -
something you can use to just see what is on broadcast TV, set up recording,
and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going for. ($60 x 3 =
$180)

Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have replaced
them. All I see in the stores are loads and loads of players that
essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.

Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up, and
which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. But where is the
replacement for the VCR? I want one!

Lou
August 28th 09, 01:51 AM
"OhioGuy" > wrote in message
> My wife and I are still using our VCR. We got one of those digital
tuners
> so that we could keep using the tube tv after things switched to ATSC.
>
> I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose between
> using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.
>
> I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now -
> something you can use to just see what is on broadcast TV, set up
recording,
> and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going for. ($60 x 3 =
> $180)
>
> Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have replaced
> them. All I see in the stores are loads and loads of players that
> essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.
>
> Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up, and
> which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. But where is the
> replacement for the VCR? I want one!

Yeah, so do I. I never understood why people changed to DVD's - OK so the
picture is maybe better and you can randomly access stuff on the disc, but
you can't record.

The closest substitute I've heard of (excepting stuff like TIVO) is to get a
TV tuner for your PC, and record to the machine's hard drive.

The Real Bev[_7_]
August 28th 09, 02:54 AM
Lou wrote:

> "OhioGuy" > wrote:
>>
>> Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have replaced
>> them. All I see in the stores are loads and loads of players that
>> essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.
>>
>> Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up, and
>> which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. But where is the
>> replacement for the VCR? I want one!

It's called a DVD recorder. Some record only to DVD, others record to a hard
drive OR a DVD. No subscription or monthly fee necessary.

> Yeah, so do I. I never understood why people changed to DVD's - OK so the
> picture is maybe better and you can randomly access stuff on the disc, but
> you can't record.

You can here in the 21st century. Check it out :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 28th 09, 03:14 AM
Lou wrote:
> "OhioGuy" > wrote in message
>> My wife and I are still using our VCR. We got one of those
>> digital tuners so that we could keep using the tube tv after things
>> switched to ATSC.
>>
>> I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose
>> between using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.
>>
>> I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now -
>> something you can use to just see what is on broadcast TV, set up
>> recording, and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going
>> for. ($60 x 3 = $180)
>>
>> Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have
>> replaced them. All I see in the stores are loads and loads of
>> players that essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.
>>
>> Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up,
>> and which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. But where is
>> the replacement for the VCR? I want one!
>>
> Yeah, so do I. I never understood why people changed to DVD's - OK
> so the picture is maybe better and you can randomly access stuff on
> the disc, but you can't record.

Corse you can.

> The closest substitute I've heard of (excepting stuff like TIVO) is
> to get a TV tuner for your PC, and record to the machine's hard drive.

There's hordes of DVD recorders, those that record to
hard drives, any USB device, to SD cards, anything you like.

August 28th 09, 03:30 AM
"Rod Speed" > wrote:

>I didnt even pay $60 for the digital tuner that can record to all of those you listed.
>Only paid $40 for it.

Rod.....what are you using for displays on your
home-made media PC's?

Are you using big LCD TV's? Or using pure BIG
computer monitors?

And why?

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 28th 09, 06:04 AM
Balvenieman wrote
> OhioGuy > wrote

>> ...where is the replacement for the VCR? I want one!

> Astounding. What would you record? I am limited to OTA teevee and
> to occasional unavoidable evenings of neighbors' cable or satellite
> teevee and have yet to see anything of sufficient value to view again
> much less to actually spend money for a recording device.

I watch almost nothing live. That way you can skip the ads and
watch it when you want to watch it, not when they broadcast it.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 28th 09, 06:11 AM
wrote
> Rod Speed > wrote

>> I didnt even pay $60 for the digital tuner that can
>> record to all of those you listed. Only paid $40 for it.

> Rod.....what are you using for displays on your home-made media PC's?

Normal TV.

> Are you using big LCD TV's?

Nope, still using a huge glass tube TV.

> Or using pure BIG computer monitors?

Nope.

> And why?

I've had the big TV for a long time now, see no need to change to LCD.

The only real downside with the TV is that you do need two people to move it.

I've got it on a steel frame thing with swivel wheels that I welded up from 19mm RHS.

Dave[_28_]
August 28th 09, 10:07 AM
> It's called a DVD recorder. Some record only to DVD, others record to a
> hard
> drive OR a DVD. No subscription or monthly fee necessary.

Right Answer is DVD recorder. They are getting harder to find, though. The
ones with the hard drives are getting near impossible to find. And the ones
without hard drives are useless, IMHO. Even if you want to record to DVD,
it's much more elegant to record to the hard drive first. Makes editing
easier, and you don't have to worry about a coaster losing your program
forever.

I suspect (and hope) that the lack of dvd recorders with hard drive
available in NTSC only for sale in the U.S. might be due to the recent
digital switch. -Dave

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 28th 09, 10:19 AM
Dave wrote

>> It's called a DVD recorder. Some record only to DVD, others record
>> to a hard drive OR a DVD. No subscription or monthly fee necessary.

> Right Answer is DVD recorder.

Nope, its just one of the replacements for VCRs.

> They are getting harder to find, though.

Wrong again.

> The ones with the hard drives are getting near impossible to find.

Wrong, as always.

> And the ones without hard drives are useless, IMHO.

More fool your horrible opinion.

> Even if you want to record to DVD, it's much more elegant to record to the hard drive first. Makes editing easier,
> and you don't have to worry about a coaster losing your program forever.

Doesnt happen with the best DVD recorders.

> I suspect (and hope) that the lack of dvd recorders with hard drive available in NTSC only for sale in the U.S. might
> be due to the recent digital switch.

Corse it is. Only a fool wants one of those now.

Evelyn Leeper
August 28th 09, 03:52 PM
Rod Speed wrote:
> Balvenieman wrote
>> OhioGuy > wrote
>
>>> ...where is the replacement for the VCR? I want one!
>
>> Astounding. What would you record? I am limited to OTA teevee and
>> to occasional unavoidable evenings of neighbors' cable or satellite
>> teevee and have yet to see anything of sufficient value to view again
>> much less to actually spend money for a recording device.
>
> I watch almost nothing live. That way you can skip the ads and
> watch it when you want to watch it, not when they broadcast it.

Also, back up if you miss a word, or pause while you take a bathroom break.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Patience is something you admire greatly in the driver

Michael Black[_2_]
August 28th 09, 08:05 PM
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, OhioGuy wrote:

> My wife and I are still using our VCR. We got one of those digital tuners
> so that we could keep using the tube tv after things switched to ATSC.
>
> I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose between
> using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.
>
> I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now -
> something you can use to just see what is on broadcast TV, set up recording,
> and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going for. ($60 x 3 =
> $180)
>
> Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have replaced
> them. All I see in the stores are loads and loads of players that
> essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.
>
> Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up, and
> which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. But where is the
> replacement for the VCR? I want one!

YOu get a DVD recorder, which have become common enough that I pulled one
out of a recycling bin at the beginning of July. (The drawer for the DVD
is fussy, but I can live with that, until I find a cheap DVDrw drive to
put in there instead of what came with the unit.)

You can/could buy them for about a hundred dollars, here in Canada. I was
tempted over a couple of Christmases to buy one once they got that cheap,
and I hesitated. Would I really use it enough?

Getting one for free of course changes things. There isn't the cost of
buying, so there's just the convenience. It's really easy to get blank
DVDs for 30cents each, which beats the $1.25 of a VHS tape. Yes, they
are't reuseable, but I get 4 blank DVDs for the price of one VHS tape.
The DVDs are also a whole lot smaller in size, so I've started recording
late night movies, so I don't have to stay up and watch them and so I can
watch them at my convenience.

I can use DVDRWs if I want to reuse the blanks, so the recorder can
be used the same way as people used VCRs, recording something, watching it
and then reusing the tape.

Michael

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 28th 09, 09:50 PM
Evelyn Leeper wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Balvenieman wrote
>>> OhioGuy > wrote

>>> Astounding. What would you record? I am limited to OTA teevee and
>>> to occasional unavoidable evenings of neighbors' cable or satellite
>>> teevee and have yet to see anything of sufficient value to view
>>> again much less to actually spend money for a recording device.

>> I watch almost nothing live. That way you can skip the ads and
>> watch it when you want to watch it, not when they broadcast it.

> Also, back up if you miss a word, or pause while you take a bathroom break.

Yeah, and be able to pause for an incoming phone call or visitor etc.

I only watch the 30 min national news live and record that too
so that if the phone rings during it, I just yawn and answer it etc.

sarge137
August 29th 09, 02:48 AM
On Aug 27, 9:09*pm, Balvenieman > wrote:
> "OhioGuy" > wrote:
> >...where is the replacement for the VCR? *I want one!
>
> * * * * Astounding. What would you record? I am limited to OTA teevee and
> to occasional unavoidable evenings of neighbors' cable or satellite
> teevee and have yet to see anything of sufficient value to view again
> much less to actually spend money for a recording device. I still recall
> the best television within my experience: "The Gong Show" and some kind
> of kick-ass cable program in which large men beat on each other until
> one yielded, lost consciousness, or died: Now _that's_ Entertainment,
> y'all.
> --
> Running on single malt in U.S.A.
> USDA zone 9b

You use a recorder so you can watch what you want, when you want, and
skip the damned commercials. Has nothing to do with saving or
watching anything twice. I agree with you - there's precious little
out there worth watching at all, and nothing worth keeping. But at
least a recorder gives you some flexibility.

I watch nothing in real time except sports (and until the NFL regular
season starts there's not much of that) and local news at night before
bed. Everything else gets time shifted. I have a DVR from my
satellite service that can copy two programs simultaneously while
watching a third that was previously recorded. I get to program shows
I'm interested in to record automatically. When I sit down to watch
in the evening, I get to watch whatever I want.

ares
August 30th 09, 03:07 AM
I don't get it; I've been using a dvd recorder for years now; actually got
one of them for only $75. I am surprised
you never heard of this.
Thing is maybe they're a little too complicated to use compared to a VCR
for an average user... you have to figure
out which type of media you're using and make sure it's compatible with the
player; and you have to finalize it for it to
play on other players. There's speed settings for the recording. It was
tricky to hook up to the cable box.
I actually have had 3 DVD/VCR recorders; one of them died; the other I
thought died but I think something
was wrong with the media I used.... I actually don't record many shows
anyway.
ares

Michael Black[_2_]
August 30th 09, 02:57 PM
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, OhioGuy wrote:

>> YOu get a DVD recorder, which have become common enough that I pulled one
>
> I'd be interested in a DVD recorder, except:
>
> 1) the ones I have seen don't seem to have an ATSC tuner built in

Surely not now. I thought they couldn't be legally sold unless they could
handle DTV, or have no tuner at all.

Sadly, the one I found can't receive DTV, but then I"m in Canada and
apparently we were used as a dumping ground for non-DTV equipment. I
noticed a cheap small LCD tv set recently, and then the fine print "DTV
ready". There are no laws in effect here mandating that new things be
ready for DTV, so we get the stuff that can't be sold in the US.

> 2) they record in mpeg2 format, not mpeg4/h.264. If they recorded in the
> latter format, we could fit 20 hours on a typical DVD, and I'd be all over
> it if it was under $150.

And how much does quality suffer?

You could live with a 6 hour (not so great) VHS recording, but now that
it's DVD you have to have something better?

The better is in the cheaper blank DVDs, the better is in the smaller
amount of space the DVDs take up compared to VHS tapes.

When I get around to transferring the things I've taped to VHS myself
to DVD, it will make a nice dent in the pile of VHS tapes I have lying
around.

Michael

OhioGuy
August 30th 09, 03:34 PM
> YOu get a DVD recorder, which have become common enough that I pulled one

I'd be interested in a DVD recorder, except:

1) the ones I have seen don't seem to have an ATSC tuner built in

2) they record in mpeg2 format, not mpeg4/h.264. If they recorded in the
latter format, we could fit 20 hours on a typical DVD, and I'd be all over
it if it was under $150.

OhioGuy
August 31st 09, 07:52 PM
>You could live with a 6 hour (not so great) VHS >recording, but now that
>it's DVD you have to have >something better?

Yes, we currently put up with vhs for recording live tv. It is a bit
annoying doing the tape shuffle, or having the tape fill up, & missing the
end of something. However, we've put up with it because it is already paid
for, and costs noyhing.

On our PC, we regularly archive video using Nero Digital avc (h.264/mpeg4)
at a rate of 220 megabytes per hour. It looks as good as regular tv from 8'
away.

So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new, then
yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum, I don't want
to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full, because that is the
issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also be the ability to archive
shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.

In fact, it is probably about time for units to arrive which only use
cheap, durable flash memory for recording, and which can easily be expanded
by adding more.

Rod Speed[_1_]
August 31st 09, 08:22 PM
OhioGuy wrote:
>> You could live with a 6 hour (not so great) VHS >recording, but now
>> that it's DVD you have to have >something better?
>
> Yes, we currently put up with vhs for recording live tv. It is a bit
> annoying doing the tape shuffle, or having the tape fill up, &
> missing the end of something. However, we've put up with it because
> it is already paid for, and costs noyhing.
>
> On our PC, we regularly archive video using Nero Digital avc
> (h.264/mpeg4) at a rate of 220 megabytes per hour. It looks as good
> as regular tv from 8' away.
>
> So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new,
> then yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum,
> I don't want to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full,
> because that is the issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also
> be the ability to archive shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.
>
> In fact, it is probably about time for units to arrive which only use
> cheap, durable flash memory for recording, and which can easily be
> expanded by adding more.

Those have been around for a long time now. They basically accept
any USB device and quite a few of them accept SD cards etc too.

My set top box does that, so you get the recorder for free when
you get the add on ATSC tuner. Hordes of them around now.

Gordon
September 1st 09, 12:43 AM
"OhioGuy" > wrote in
:

> So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new,
> then
> yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum, I
> don't want to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full,
> because that is the issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also
> be the ability to archive shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.

You're basicly spec'ing a PVR/DVR. No ongoing media costs, everything
is recorded to the hard drive. The hard drive has lots of room, so
little chance of it filling up. If you need to archive videos off
to flash drive or DVD, then network the PVR to your desktop computer
and use it to burn DVDs.

h[_6_]
September 1st 09, 05:38 AM
"Gordon" > wrote in message
.. .
> "OhioGuy" > wrote in
> :
>
>> So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new,
>> then
>> yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum, I
>> don't want to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full,
>> because that is the issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also
>> be the ability to archive shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.
>
> You're basicly spec'ing a PVR/DVR. No ongoing media costs, everything
> is recorded to the hard drive. The hard drive has lots of room, so
> little chance of it filling up. If you need to archive videos off
> to flash drive or DVD, then network the PVR to your desktop computer
> and use it to burn DVDs.

Or just copy it to your VCR if you're not planning to save it permanently. I
do that all the time with movies that strike my fancy but I don't have time
to watch at the moment. I record them, spool them off to VCR, then watch at
my convenience and then the tape goes back into "throwaway" rotation.
Otherwise the DVR gets too full (I don't like to go past 65% - they seem to
fry out quickly when they get up to 70%).

Rod Speed[_1_]
September 1st 09, 06:27 AM
h wrote:
> "Gordon" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "OhioGuy" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new,
>>> then
>>> yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum, I
>>> don't want to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full,
>>> because that is the issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also
>>> be the ability to archive shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.
>>
>> You're basicly spec'ing a PVR/DVR. No ongoing media costs,
>> everything is recorded to the hard drive. The hard drive has lots of
>> room, so little chance of it filling up. If you need to archive
>> videos off to flash drive or DVD, then network the PVR to your desktop computer
>> and use it to burn DVDs.
>
> Or just copy it to your VCR if you're not planning to save it
> permanently. I do that all the time with movies that strike my fancy
> but I don't have time to watch at the moment. I record them, spool
> them off to VCR, then watch at my convenience and then the tape goes
> back into "throwaway" rotation. Otherwise the DVR gets too full (I
> don't like to go past 65% - they seem to fry out quickly when they
> get up to 70%).

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to get an overflow 1.5TB hard drive now that they are so dirt cheap.

George[_1_]
September 1st 09, 01:38 PM
Gordon wrote:
> "OhioGuy" > wrote in
> :
>
>> So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new,
>> then
>> yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum, I
>> don't want to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full,
>> because that is the issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also
>> be the ability to archive shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.
>
> You're basicly spec'ing a PVR/DVR. No ongoing media costs, everything
> is recorded to the hard drive. The hard drive has lots of room, so
> little chance of it filling up. If you need to archive videos off
> to flash drive or DVD, then network the PVR to your desktop computer
> and use it to burn DVDs.

Thats what it seems that he wants. I built my first one probably five
years ago. It also does stuff like automatic commercial tag or removal.
It supports multiple clients including any computer. It can archive to
DVD directly etc but hard drives are pretty inexpensive these days. I
built mine using MythTv.

George[_1_]
September 1st 09, 01:41 PM
OhioGuy wrote:
> My wife and I are still using our VCR. We got one of those digital tuners
> so that we could keep using the tube tv after things switched to ATSC.
>
> I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose between
> using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.
>
> I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now -
> something you can use to just see what is on broadcast TV, set up recording,
> and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going for. ($60 x 3 =
> $180)

So you want 10x the features for 3x the cost?

> Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have replaced
> them. All I see in the stores are loads and loads of players that
> essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.
>
> Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up, and
> which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. But where is the
> replacement for the VCR? I want one!

Not really, I built mine and don't subscribe to anything.

Michael Black[_2_]
September 1st 09, 04:46 PM
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, George wrote:

> OhioGuy wrote:
>> My wife and I are still using our VCR. We got one of those digital
>> tuners so that we could keep using the tube tv after things switched to
>> ATSC.
>>
>> I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose between
>> using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.
>>
>> I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now -
>> something you can use to just see what is on broadcast TV, set up
>> recording, and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going for.
>> ($60 x 3 = $180)
>
> So you want 10x the features for 3x the cost?

I was thinking about how expensive VCRs were when they first came out.
Their price dropped fairly rapidly, but seemed to flatten out for a long
time. The fact that you could get a VCR for $60 is a reflection of how
many sold, how much they ramped up production (and simplified design
so they could be made cheaper) and in the end, the lack of interest.

One can now get a DVD player for less than VCR. Yes, it doesn't record,
but the lower cost reflects a medium that requires less mechanical
innards, which is where a good portion of the cost comes from.

One can get DVD recorders for a hundred, I know I was tempted at that
price. Now that I'm using the one I found in a recycling bin at the
beginning of July, I realize I do like it better than a VCR. So even
though it is the equivalent of a VCR, it is an improvement in quicker
moves from fast forward to play, the smaller size of the recording medium,
the cheaper cost of the recording medium.

Michael

jeff
September 1st 09, 10:39 PM
George wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> "OhioGuy" > wrote in
>> :
>>> So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new,
>>> then yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum, I
>>> don't want to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full,
>>> because that is the issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also
>>> be the ability to archive shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.
>>
>> You're basicly spec'ing a PVR/DVR. No ongoing media costs, everything
>> is recorded to the hard drive. The hard drive has lots of room, so
>> little chance of it filling up. If you need to archive videos off
>> to flash drive or DVD, then network the PVR to your desktop computer
>> and use it to burn DVDs.
>
> Thats what it seems that he wants. I built my first one probably five
> years ago. It also does stuff like automatic commercial tag or removal.
> It supports multiple clients including any computer. It can archive to
> DVD directly etc but hard drives are pretty inexpensive these days. I
> built mine using MythTv.

What are you using for hardware? The tradeoff seems to be between
processing power either on the tuner, or in the computer itself.

If you are using MythTV, you must have a tuner with linux drivers.
And you'll need a video card that can output to your TV, unless you only
watch on your monitor. I've got mine setup on the PC with one of the
Aver USB tuners, but it is not an entirely satisfying experience, though
it is cheap.

I'm not sure if this is a frugal thing to do if you don't already
have most of the hardware.

Jeff

Rod Speed[_1_]
September 2nd 09, 12:01 AM
jeff wrote:
> George wrote:
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> "OhioGuy" > wrote in
>>> :
>>>
>>> You're basicly spec'ing a PVR/DVR. No ongoing media costs,
>>> everything is recorded to the hard drive. The hard drive has lots
>>> of room, so little chance of it filling up. If you need to archive
>>> videos off to flash drive or DVD, then network the PVR to your desktop computer
>>> and use it to burn DVDs.
>>
>> Thats what it seems that he wants. I built my first one probably five
>> years ago. It also does stuff like automatic commercial tag or
>> removal. It supports multiple clients including any computer. It can
>> archive to DVD directly etc but hard drives are pretty inexpensive
>> these days. I built mine using MythTv.

> What are you using for hardware?

I use PCI dual channel capture cards.

> The tradeoff seems to be between processing power either on the tuner, or in the computer itself.

Nope, all the capture cards for digital TV do all the work on the card.

I actually use a dinosaur 1GHz P4 for the 4 channel PVR, power
to spare. You can watch recorded stuff while recording 4 transport
streams which can be 3-4 channels each.

> If you are using MythTV, you must have a tuner with linux drivers.

> And you'll need a video card that can output to your TV, unless you only watch on your monitor.

Thats just one way. You can use a media player to play the files.

> I've got mine setup on the PC with one of the Aver USB tuners, but it is not an entirely satisfying experience, though
> it is cheap.

Its completely trivial to use a dual head video card
which has HDMI for the TV or a media player.

> I'm not sure if this is a frugal thing to do if you don't already have most of the hardware.

Corse it is. And adequate power PC costs peanuts used if you dont have one already.
The capture cards and video cards are available for peanuts used off ebay too.

Gordon
September 2nd 09, 08:30 AM
"h" > wrote in :

> "Gordon" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "OhioGuy" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> So, if I'm going to spend 2-3 times what I did on my last vcr new,
>>> then
>>> yes, I want some functional improvements. At the bare minimum, I
>>> don't want to have to worry about a 6 or 8 hour media getting full,
>>> because that is the issue that annoys us now. A big plus would also
>>> be the ability to archive shows to a usb flash drive, or SDHC card.
>>
>> You're basicly spec'ing a PVR/DVR. No ongoing media costs,
>> everything is recorded to the hard drive. The hard drive has lots of
>> room, so little chance of it filling up. If you need to archive
>> videos off to flash drive or DVD, then network the PVR to your
>> desktop computer and use it to burn DVDs.
>
> Or just copy it to your VCR if you're not planning to save it
> permanently. I do that all the time with movies that strike my fancy
> but I don't have time to watch at the moment. I record them, spool
> them off to VCR, then watch at my convenience and then the tape goes
> back into "throwaway" rotation. Otherwise the DVR gets too full (I
> don't like to go past 65% - they seem to fry out quickly when they get
> up to 70%).

1) the point of this discussion is to replace the VCR, not find
another use for it.

2) Sounds like all you need is a larger hard drive.

3) Using a computer to archive off copies makes more sense. The
VCR has to record in real time. The computer can burn a DVD
at a faster rate.

4) Or why not just use some external USB connected hard drives.
Unlimited expansion.

September 27th 09, 09:17 PM
In article >,
"OhioGuy" > wrote:

> My wife and I are still using our VCR. We got one of those digital tuners
> so that we could keep using the tube tv after things switched to ATSC.
>
> I figured that by now, there must be DVR's that let you choose between
> using a USB flash drive, SDHC cards, or perhaps a hard drive.
>
> I figured there must be a replacement for VCR's out there by now -
> something you can use to just see what is on broadcast TV, set up recording,
> and which costs maybe 3 times what a decent VCR was going for. ($60 x 3 =
> $180)
>
> Trouble is, the VCR's are all gone, but nothing seems to have replaced
> them. All I see in the stores are loads and loads of players that
> essentially force you to buy pre-recorded entertainment.
>
> Ok, sure there is TV and a few other devices that are $250 on up, and
> which want you to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. But where is the
> replacement for the VCR? I want one!

I see them at yard sales and cheap.
We keep an eye out for old GoldStars or Emerson's to collect parts to
keep our old units going for a little longer.
So far we got 12 years out of the Goldstar.
One thing I don't like about the DVDs is you can't fast forward through
the FBI warnings and stuff. those control freaks.
and we do like to record Craig Fergerson . he's good but who can stay up
till 01;30 and all those commercials, ugh.
--
money; what a concept!

Google