PDA

View Full Version : Rental car has tripled its rates

noel888
September 9th 09, 03:24 PM
Each year around this time I make preparations for a trip to Maine for
October. LAst year, i rented at ALAMO, a compact car for the total
price of $150..for 1 week...wonderful. Now, i checked the internet for
rates, and was astounded that the price for the same car, the same
period, has almost tripled. I thought there was a mistake, so I phoned
the company and sure enough they were quoting the same price, and they
claim that their competitors were all charging around the same. In
this economy, they want people to spend money that they don't
have...the airfare is only $119 RT. Why hasn't that tripled then?
Well, I guess its no vacation this year for this senior. I just had to
release some anger.

Al[_3_]
September 9th 09, 04:05 PM
On Sep 9, 9:24 am, noel888 > wrote:
> Each year around this time I make preparations for a trip to Maine for
> October. LAst year, i rented at ALAMO, a compact car for the total
> price of $150..for 1 week...wonderful. Now, i checked the internet for
> rates, and was astounded that the price for the same car, the same
> period, has almost tripled. I thought there was a mistake, so I phoned
> the company and sure enough they were quoting the same price, and they
> claim that their competitors were all charging around the same. In
> this economy, they want people to spend money that they don't
> have...the airfare is only $119 RT. Why hasn't that tripled then?
> Well, I guess its no vacation this year for this senior. I just had to
> release some anger.

I'm not a big traveler so I can't say first hand whether this would
help or not.
I have heard that rates away from the airport are much lower. Try
calling rental agencies in a nearby town. Also try car dealerships.
Many of them have rental agencies and plenty of cars sitting. You
would then take a cab from the airport or maybe they would offer pick-
up service for a price.

Google