PDA

View Full Version : Unusual question about my internet usage

September 10th 09, 01:23 PM
Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for a
good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most of my
time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have recently begun
to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a result i've gone into
serious debt. A lot of these items I've purchased have also caused me
health problems. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell my
computer and cancel my internet subscription. However the problem is
occasionally I need the internet for serious purposes. So, you might
tell me to go to the internet cafe on the occasions when I need the
internet. But this is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in
public places with lots of people around me.
I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as purchasing
a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the internet when I
need. I can then store the laptop in another room. However in the past
when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of time surfing the web
on the laptop.
Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
Thanks and bye.

XiRˇZ
September 10th 09, 01:32 PM
In article
" > wrote:

> Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for a
> good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most of my
> time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have recently begun
> to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a result i've gone into
> serious debt. A lot of these items I've purchased have also caused me
> health problems. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell my
> computer and cancel my internet subscription. However the problem is
> occasionally I need the internet for serious purposes. So, you might
> tell me to go to the internet cafe on the occasions when I need the
> internet. But this is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in
> public places with lots of people around me.
> I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as purchasing
> a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the internet when I
> need. I can then store the laptop in another room. However in the past
> when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of time surfing the web
> on the laptop.
> Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
> computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
> interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
> Thanks and bye.

Password protect the access and have a friend as the only one who knows
the access code with strict instructions how to allow your access to it
--
(<>..<>)

sandy58[_2_]
September 10th 09, 02:00 PM
On Sep 10, 12:23*pm, " <zaman.
> wrote:
> Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for a
> good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most of my
> time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have recently begun
> to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a result i've gone into
> serious debt. A lot of these items I've purchased have also caused me
> health problems. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell my
> computer and cancel my internet subscription. However the problem is
> occasionally I need the internet for serious purposes. So, you might
> tell me to go to the internet cafe on the occasions when I need the
> internet. But this is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in
> public places with lots of people around me.
> I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as purchasing
> a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the internet when I
> need. I can then store the laptop in another room. However in the past
> when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of time surfing the web
> on the laptop.
> Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
> computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
> interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
> Thanks and bye.

One gun. One bullet. One head. One time.

philo[_2_]
September 10th 09, 02:31 PM
wrote:
> Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for a
> good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most of my
> time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have recently begun
> to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a result i've gone into
> serious debt. A lot of these items I've purchased have also caused me
> health problems. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell my
> computer and cancel my internet subscription. However the problem is
> occasionally I need the internet for serious purposes. So, you might
> tell me to go to the internet cafe on the occasions when I need the
> internet. But this is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in
> public places with lots of people around me.
> I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as purchasing
> a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the internet when I
> need. I can then store the laptop in another room. However in the past
> when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of time surfing the web
> on the laptop.
> Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
> computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
> interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
> Thanks and bye.

Although I often give frivolous answers , the following is being said
with complete seriousness and no malevolence:

The real problem is that you have poor discretion...
and very probably mental heath issues

so even if you got rid of your computer entirely, you'd just end up
doing things just as foolish elsewhere

going from a desktop to a laptop certainly would not solve the
problem...and you very well might have to give up your computer
entirely...and yes...go to an Internet cafe if you *really* need web access

You really need to seek counseling of some type.

Tony
September 10th 09, 03:16 PM
Firstly i'd try the newsgroup alt.support.schizophrenia, once there i can
give you plenty of pointers. I think the best thing to do is what Chuckcar
does. Get down to the nearest dumpster and get an old desktop and labtop
computer for free with no tax.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

OldGringo38
September 10th 09, 03:42 PM
Two Cents To The Post:
http://www.netaddiction.com/

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

OldGringo38
September 10th 09, 03:49 PM
Two Cents To The Post:
> Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for a
> good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most of my
> time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have recently begun
> to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a result i've gone into
> serious debt. A lot of these items I've purchased have also caused me
> health problems. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell my
> computer and cancel my internet subscription. However the problem is
> occasionally I need the internet for serious purposes. So, you might
> tell me to go to the internet cafe on the occasions when I need the
> internet. But this is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in
> public places with lots of people around me.
> I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as purchasing
> a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the internet when I
> need. I can then store the laptop in another room. However in the past
> when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of time surfing the web
> on the laptop.
> Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
> computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
> interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
> Thanks and bye.
PS: You're doing quite well, just look at the gas you are saving by
staying on the Internet, this is helping to eliminate the demand for
foreign oil, and stimulating the economy by spending money for things
you don't really need. Keep up the good work.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

Zuke
September 10th 09, 03:50 PM
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Tony wrote:

> Firstly i'd try the newsgroup alt.support.schizophrenia, once there i can
> give you plenty of pointers. I think the best thing to do is what Chuckcar
> does. Get down to the nearest dumpster and get an old desktop and labtop
> computer for free with no tax.

I don't know. This guy sounds like a pretty typical person to me!
Don't we all spend too much time diddling around on the internet and
wasting our money on stupid things? And who is really comfortable
in crowded situations? That's why we get drunk when we get into
those situations.

Time is the real enemy. We have way too much of it to kill. The
thing to do is to try to get into some healthy habits to get through
the day. How about becoming a better cook or starting a garden.
I suggest going out to the thrift stores once or twice a week. You
don't even have to buy anything but there is no salesman pressure
in those places and if you do buy something it's probably not going
to break the bank. Maybe look in your community to find some places
to volunteer where you are helping others. Sometime your troubles
pale in comparison to others.

September 10th 09, 06:36 PM
On 10 Sep, 15:10, Van Chocstraw >
> > Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for a
> > good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most of my
> > time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have recently begun
> > to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a result i've gone into
> > serious debt. A lot of these items I've purchased have also caused me
> > health problems. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell my
> > computer and cancel my internet subscription. However the problem is
> > occasionally I need the internet for serious purposes. So, you might
> > tell me to go to the internet cafe on the occasions when I need the
> > internet. But this is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in
> > public places with lots of people around me.
> > I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as purchasing
> > a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the internet when I
> > need. I can then store the laptop in another room. However in the past
> > when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of time surfing the web
> > on the laptop.
> > Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
> > computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
> > interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
> > Thanks and bye.
>
> Maybe you can get somebody to hold your pecker so you won't stick it in
> a bad place and get all diseased and everything.- Hide quoted text -

The idea of having a friend with a password is quite good. But the
problem is I would have to contact my firend each time I needed to use
the computer and then they would have to travel to my house. Which is
very inconvenient.
Isn't there any program which would generate a random password for me?
Thanks.

Rod Speed[_1_]
September 10th 09, 08:27 PM
wrote:
> On 10 Sep, 15:10, Van Chocstraw >
> wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for
>>> a good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most
>>> of my time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have
>>> recently begun to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a
>>> result i've gone into serious debt. A lot of these items I've
>>> purchased have also caused me health problems. The easiest thing
>>> for me to do would be to sell my computer and cancel my internet
>>> subscription. However the problem is occasionally I need the
>>> internet for serious purposes. So, you might tell me to go to the
>>> internet cafe on the occasions when I need the internet. But this
>>> is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in public places with
>>> lots of people around me.
>>> I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as
>>> purchasing a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the
>>> internet when I need. I can then store the laptop in another room.
>>> However in the past when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of
>>> time surfing the web on the laptop.
>>> Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my
>>> desktop computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me
>>> to use the interne tonly when I absolutely need to?

>> Maybe you can get somebody to hold your pecker so you won't
>> stick it in a bad place and get all diseased and everything.

> The idea of having a friend with a password is quite good. But the
> problem is I would have to contact my firend each time I needed to use
> the computer and then they would have to travel to my house.

Nope, its possible to automate that so that an automated password
system is used, and all you need to do is ring the person to get the
latest password which changes every time you use the net.

Corse that doesnt stop you doing stupid stuff during the
session that you got the current password for, but would
stop you using the net as much as you do currently.

> Which is very inconvenient.
> Isn't there any program which would generate a random password for me?

Yes, but it cant work out whether you have a valid need to use the net.

Only a human can listen to your story and decide whether
a particular claimed need to use the net is a valid one.

doS
September 10th 09, 08:58 PM
just have them tell you the pass as you are to dumb to remember it...

> wrote in message
> On 10 Sep, 15:10, Van Chocstraw >
> wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Hi, this is an unusal question. Since I`ve been on the internet for a
>> > good few years, it's been very unproductive for me. I spend most of my
>> > time just reading stupid websites. Worse still I have recently begun
>> > to purchase lots of bad,undesirable items. As a result i've gone into
>> > serious debt. A lot of these items I've purchased have also caused me
>> > health problems. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell my
>> > computer and cancel my internet subscription. However the problem is
>> > occasionally I need the internet for serious purposes. So, you might
>> > tell me to go to the internet cafe on the occasions when I need the
>> > internet. But this is not practical for me,since I feel anxious in
>> > public places with lots of people around me.
>> > I've been thinking of ways to get around my problem,such as purchasing
>> > a laptop,and selling my desktop and only using the internet when I
>> > need. I can then store the laptop in another room. However in the past
>> > when I've tried this I end up spending a lot of time surfing the web
>> > on the laptop.
>> > Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
>> > computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
>> > interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
>> > Thanks and bye.
>>
>> Maybe you can get somebody to hold your pecker so you won't stick it in
>> a bad place and get all diseased and everything.- Hide quoted text -

> The idea of having a friend with a password is quite good. But the
> problem is I would have to contact my firend each time I needed to use
> the computer and then they would have to travel to my house. Which is
> very inconvenient.
> Isn't there any program which would generate a random password for me?
> Thanks.

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries
September 11th 09, 12:55 AM
In ,
> wrote:
> Hi, this is an unusal question.

<snipped>

Alti, is that you?

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

The right to be heard does not automatically include
the right to be taken seriously. Hubert H. Humphrey

The Real Bev[_7_]
September 11th 09, 06:59 AM
wrote:

> Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
> computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
> interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
> Thanks and bye.

If you have DSL or cablemodem service, cancel it. Find a dialup ISP. You will
then have to log off when you need to make a phone call and you will worry
about people trying to call you so you won't log on as often.

If you're in California, and if they're still in business, I highly recommend
ktb.net. Good people, good service.

--
Cheers, Bev
Of course SoCal has four seasons:

September 11th 09, 01:51 PM
On 11 Sep, 05:59, The Real Bev > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Can anyone here be kind enough to think of a way I can keep my desktop
> > computer and maybe install some kind of program allowing me to use the
> > interne tonly when I absolutely need to?
> > Thanks and bye.
>
> If you have DSL or cablemodem service, cancel it. *Find a dialup ISP. *You will
> then have to log off when you need to make a phone call and you will worry
> about people trying to call you so you won't log on as often.
>
> If you're in California, and if they're still in business, I highly recommend
> ktb.net. Good people, good service.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Of course SoCal has four seasons:
> Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot

Thanks for all the helpful answers. I think I'll get the automated
password which generates a new password each time,and give the
password to my friend.
But in the Uk, isn't there any pas you go internet? Having to pay by
the minute would discourage me from using the web so much.
Bye.

Whiskers
September 11th 09, 02:36 PM
On 2009-09-11, > wrote:
> On 11 Sep, 05:59, The Real Bev > wrote:
>> wrote:

[...]

> Thanks for all the helpful answers. I think I'll get the automated
> password which generates a new password each time,and give the
> password to my friend.
> But in the Uk, isn't there any pas you go internet? Having to pay by
> the minute would discourage me from using the web so much.
> Bye.

It wasn't apparent from your posts (with a US time-stamp) that you are in
the UK.

Do a web search for

free dial-up internet

Those services are paid for by the telephone company's call charges, of
which the "free" ISP gets a slice. You usually need a BT phone line, not
one of the 'unbundled' competition who usually tie you to their services
only.

Beware that these "free" internet accounts can work out very expensive
very quickly. Even light email and usenet usage quickly rack up the
charges even if you work in 'off-line mode' for actually reading and
writing your messages and only connect to upload and fetch. If you rely
on webmail and web access to newsgroups, you'll quickly spend a small
fortune (and get very frustrated with the unreliability and 'time-outs').

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

September 11th 09, 08:16 PM
On 11 Sep, 13:36, Whiskers > wrote:
> On 2009-09-11, > wrote:
>
> > On 11 Sep, 05:59, The Real Bev > wrote:
> >> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Thanks for all the helpful answers. I think I'll get the automated
> > password which generates a new password each time,and give the
> > password to my friend.
> > But in the Uk, isn't there any pas you go internet? Having to pay by
> > the minute would discourage me from using the web so much.
> > Bye.
>
> It wasn't apparent from your posts (with a US time-stamp) that you are in
> the UK.
>
> Do a web search for
>
> * * * * free dial-up internet
>
> Those services are paid for by the telephone company's call charges, of
> which the "free" ISP gets a slice. *You usually need a BT phone line, not
> one of the 'unbundled' competition who usually tie you to their services
> only.
>
> Beware that these "free" internet accounts can work out very expensive
> very quickly. *Even light email and usenet usage quickly rack up the
> charges even if you work in 'off-line mode' for actually reading and
> writing your messages and only connect to upload and fetch. *If you rely
> on webmail and web access to newsgroups, you'll quickly spend a small
> fortune (and get very frustrated with the unreliability and 'time-outs').
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- *Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Whiskers, but I'm with virgin ISP, not BT. Are there no pay as
you go for non-BT lines?

Whiskers
September 11th 09, 09:55 PM
On 2009-09-11, > wrote:
> On 11 Sep, 13:36, Whiskers > wrote:

>> [...]
>>
>> > Thanks for all the helpful answers. I think I'll get the automated
>> > password which generates a new password each time,and give the
>> > password to my friend.
>> > But in the Uk, isn't there any pas you go internet? Having to pay by
>> > the minute would discourage me from using the web so much.
>> > Bye.
>>
>> It wasn't apparent from your posts (with a US time-stamp) that you are in
>> the UK.
>>
>> Do a web search for
>>
>> ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* free dial-up internet
>>
>> Those services are paid for by the telephone company's call charges, of
>> which the "free" ISP gets a slice. ¬*You usually need a BT phone line, not
>> one of the 'unbundled' competition who usually tie you to their services
>> only.
>>
>> Beware that these "free" internet accounts can work out very expensive
>> very quickly. ¬*Even light email and usenet usage quickly rack up the
>> charges even if you work in 'off-line mode' for actually reading and
>> writing your messages and only connect to upload and fetch. ¬*If you rely
>> on webmail and web access to newsgroups, you'll quickly spend a small
>> fortune (and get very frustrated with the unreliability and 'time-outs').
>
> Thanks Whiskers, but I'm with virgin ISP, not BT. Are there no pay as
> you go for non-BT lines?

Virgin offer one.
<http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/dialup.html>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

September 11th 09, 10:27 PM
On 11 Sep, 20:55, Whiskers > wrote:
> On 2009-09-11, > wrote:

> >> [...]
>
> >> It wasn't apparent from your posts (with a US time-stamp) that you are in
> >> the UK.
>
> >> Do a web search for
>
> >> * * * * free dial-up internet
>
> >> Those services are paid for by the telephone company's call charges, of
> >> which the "free" ISP gets a slice. *You usually need a BT phone line, not
> >> one of the 'unbundled' competition who usually tie you to their services
> >> only.
>
> >> Beware that these "free" internet accounts can work out very expensive
> >> very quickly. *Even light email and usenet usage quickly rack up the
> >> charges even if you work in 'off-line mode' for actually reading and
> >> writing your messages and only connect to upload and fetch. *If you rely
> >> on webmail and web access to newsgroups, you'll quickly spend a small
> >> fortune (and get very frustrated with the unreliability and 'time-outs').
>
> > Thanks Whiskers, but I'm with virgin ISP, not BT. Are there no pay as
> > you go for non-BT lines?
>
> Virgin offer one. *
> <http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/dialup.html>
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- *Whiskers

Thanks again

Zu Arsschlaark!
September 12th 09, 12:02 AM
> PS: You're doing quite well, just look at the gas you are saving by
> staying on the Internet, this is helping to eliminate the demand for
> foreign oil, and stimulating the economy by spending money for things
> you don't really need. Keep up the good work.

Yeeah, riding the information superhighway! Fair point.
And whew it was good to get rid of those useless items ...

Google