PDA

View Full Version : Pyrex dishes made in China exploding


enough
September 23rd 09, 12:37 PM
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

pavane
September 23rd 09, 03:22 PM
"enough" > wrote in message
...
| http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

Thanks for posting this; I had no idea...

pavane

Tudor5
September 23rd 09, 03:46 PM
On Sep 23, 9:22*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "enough" > wrote in message
>
> ...
> |http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp
>
> Thanks for posting this; I had no idea...
>
> pavane

Ditto Thanks a good heads up .

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
September 23rd 09, 06:09 PM
On Sep 23, 8:46*am, Tudor5 > wrote:
> On Sep 23, 9:22*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>
> > "enough" > wrote in message
>
> ...
> > |http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp
>
> > Thanks for posting this; I had no idea...
>
> > pavane
>
> Ditto * Thanks *a good heads up *.

Why does this not surprise me ? ? ?
Lynn in Fargo

graham
September 23rd 09, 06:10 PM
"enough" > wrote in message
...
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

I wonder if the difference in composition has something to do with the fact
that after a few years of washing in the dishwasher, the glass is so badly
etched that it becomes completely opaque and the measuring lines obscured.
Graham

George[_1_]
September 23rd 09, 07:15 PM
enough wrote:
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

But how about those great walmart prices?

Kalmia
September 23rd 09, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the thread. I will now move my bought-around-1968 Pyrex
covered bowls into the vault - didn't realize their value. : ))

I will also treasure my cornflower original Corningware casseroles.

Kswck
September 23rd 09, 08:28 PM
"enough" > wrote in message
...
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

Wasn't this a problem a few years ago too?

cybercat
September 23rd 09, 09:11 PM
"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote :
>wish I had my mom's old opaque white pyrex (Anchor Hocking?)
>rectangular covered casseroles with the aqua trim. There were two
>small ones 5'X3.5" ? and one double that (10X 5?). The covers were
>clear and kind of ridged - like wide wale corduroy.

EEEbayyyy! Most of what I buy there is sentimental stuff like this. Old
toys, things I remember and don't know what happened to. The painted
chalkware Hitler pincusion that used to sit in the China cabinet, he's
bending over, his ass the pincushion. The litte custard cups mama used to
use when she made custard when we were sick, the kind you sit in a pan of
water, real egg custard.

Bryan[_2_]
September 24th 09, 03:20 AM
On Sep 23, 1:09*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Thanks for the thread. * I will now move my bought-around-1968 Pyrex
> covered bowls into the vault - didn't realize their value. *: ))
>
> *I will also treasure my cornflower original Corningware casseroles.

I bought quite a few Cornflower pieces on eBay a few months ago. I
got a 5qt. casserole that I'm very happy with. It's not just
nostalgia, or missing my late mother, I love how Corning Ware
performs.

You can buy old Pyrex on eBay. To heck with vaults. Use it. Heck,
they still sell *real* Pyrex in the EU. Its value is in its
usefulness.

--Bryan

Kalmia
October 1st 09, 07:53 PM
On Sep 23, 6:37*am, enough > wrote:
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

I read this again - one thing I would like clarified. Is the name on
this junk PYREX or PRYEX? I am not sure if the author made typos
( saw it both ways in his 'essay') and I sure ain't darkening the
door of a Walmart to investigate.

George[_1_]
October 1st 09, 09:06 PM
Kalmia wrote:
> On Sep 23, 6:37 am, enough > wrote:
>> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp
>
> I read this again - one thing I would like clarified. Is the name on
> this junk PYREX or PRYEX? I am not sure if the author made typos
> ( saw it both ways in his 'essay') and I sure ain't darkening the
> door of a Walmart to investigate.

"PRYEX" is a typo. "PYREX" was the original Corning Glass Works
borosilicate glass material that found its way into various kitchen
vessels. Corning exited the kitchenware business and sold off the name
and now "PYREX" is simply lower quality junk featured at Walmart.

Google