PDA

View Full Version : impressive site for container housing, thanks

sr[_2_]
October 3rd 09, 02:39 AM
http://weburbanist.com/2008/05/26/cargo-container-homes-and-offices/
A little too artsy for my taste, but the site sure gives insight into what
can be created from this boxes. The US is suppose to be so ahead in
innovations, wonder why England, Japan, New Zeland, etc. have been using
containers for apartment housing, offices, stores, residental, for years.
I'm having problems connecting with individuals here in the US that have the
experience. Are we losing our edge, I wonder. Because of soooo many
regulations that squish our creative abilities and discourages progress.
Just Wondering.
I have 647 ft of road frontage, I thought I could have a container home and
put my house on the market, thinking I could live in the container on my
land and the buyers would have ownership of sm home at my death ,that they
could rent out to the college kids, a win win for everyone, but my town of
700 would not let me do so. Even here in the boondocks there are
regulations that discourages self sufficiency. So, I'm moving on.
thanks for all the input.

sr[_2_]
October 3rd 09, 02:58 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/12/recycled.homes/index.html
tells about the energy to melt down container, featured on CNN

looks like a fellow built in SC in 2003
"sr" > wrote in message

Rod Speed[_1_]
October 3rd 09, 04:08 AM
sr wrote:

> http://weburbanist.com/2008/05/26/cargo-container-homes-and-offices/

> A little too artsy for my taste, but the site sure gives insight into what can be created from this boxes.

> The US is suppose to be so ahead in innovations, wonder why England, Japan, New Zeland, etc.
> have been using containers for apartment housing, offices, stores, residental, for years.

Basically because the US has a lot more
mobile 'homes' and its easier to go that route.

> I'm having problems connecting with individuals here in the US that have the experience. Are we losing our edge, I
> wonder.

Nope, just not the need.

> Because of soooo many regulations that squish
> our creative abilities and discourages progress.

The home owners associations etc are a real drag on stuff like that.

Some other countrys like Britain have a lot more regulation than the US does tho.

They even get told what they have to do insulation
wise and where nothing new can be built etc.

> Just Wondering.

Dangerous business.

> I have 647 ft of road frontage, I thought I could have a container
> home and put my house on the market, thinking I could live in the
> container on my land and the buyers would have ownership of sm home at my death ,that they could rent out to the
> college kids, a win win for everyone, but my town of 700 would not let me do so.

> Even here in the boondocks there are regulations that discourages self sufficiency.

Varys with the boondock.

> So, I'm moving on. thanks for all the input.

Google