name of snazzy digicam choosing web site?

Old August 3rd 06, 08:49 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Andy

Default name of snazzy digicam choosing web site?

A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
to choose a digital camera.

The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
page generated a shortlist of cameras.
Old August 4th 06, 12:51 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Lin Chung[_1_]

http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do

--
Lin Chung.
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Old August 4th 06, 10:19 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Andy wrote:
A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
to choose a digital camera.

The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
page generated a shortlist of cameras.

I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.

I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
there.

They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

Old August 4th 06, 10:45 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
erics

wrote in message
ups.com...

Andy wrote:
A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
to choose a digital camera.

The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
page generated a shortlist of cameras.

I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.

I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
there.

They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

The website they want is just automatically filtering the cameras that fit
your selected criteria, whereas you have to do it manually.

Old August 4th 06, 11:40 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

erics wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Andy wrote:
A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
to choose a digital camera.

The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
page generated a shortlist of cameras.

I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.

I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
there.

They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

The website they want is just automatically filtering the cameras that fit
your selected criteria,

Which is not a very good idea.... It's the Argos catalogue approach.
They sell washing machines, etc. on the basis of numbers 'this one is
1400 spin', 'this one is 1200', so the 1400 must be better.

You can go into Dixons and they will say 'ow many megapixels do you
want', which is a pretty stupid question for most people, as pretty
much any digital camera has enough megapixels, but not all cameras are
equal in quality. On this basis they will end up selling you a crappy
Praktica '8 mega pixel' (which is actually interpolated and isn't 8
megapixel at all, and has a tiny CCD)

whereas you have to do it manually.

It's not that hard. You can buy something pretty basic for 100ish,
something better for 200, or something quite nice indeed for about
300. If you are a pro, you will get a digital SLR, and a fancy lens.
For most people it comes down to size and image quality, plus whether
you want image stabilization, a long zoom, etc. It pays to do your
research.

Old August 4th 06, 12:45 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
erics

wrote in message
oups.com...

erics wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Andy wrote:
A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
to choose a digital camera.

The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
page generated a shortlist of cameras.

I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.

I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
there.

They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

The website they want is just automatically filtering the cameras that fit
your selected criteria,

Which is not a very good idea....

Don't be stupid, of course it is a good idea. If I have already decided I
want a camera that costs less than 200, is a compact format, and takes CF
cards, why would I want to look at a camera that costs 600, is an SLR
format, and takes SD cards?

It's the Argos catalogue approach.
They sell washing machines, etc. on the basis of numbers 'this one is
1400 spin', 'this one is 1200', so the 1400 must be better.

It's the purchaser that is deciding 1400 is better, not argos - they just
provide the info and the user filters out what they consider to be inferior.

You can go into Dixons and they will say 'ow many megapixels do you
want', which is a pretty stupid question for most people, as pretty
much any digital camera has enough megapixels, but not all cameras are
equal in quality. On this basis they will end up selling you a crappy
Praktica '8 mega pixel' (which is actually interpolated and isn't 8
megapixel at all, and has a tiny CCD)

A lot of people equate pixels to quality which as you point out is not
always true. The salesman is doing what he needs to make a sale. You do not
have to filter out cameras based on the number of pixels, or you can specify
a range which is important if you want to print out huge prints. It is no
use getting a 2 mega pixel camera which gives great 4x6 prints if you really
want to produce great A3 sized prints, because no matter how good that
camera is, at that size its prints will look pixelated.

whereas you have to do it manually.

It's not that hard.

Its not, and what you do CAN be automated. You are only applying a set of
simple rules to filter the search - something a site could easily do as
well.

You can buy something pretty basic for 100ish,
something better for 200, or something quite nice indeed for about
300. If you are a pro, you will get a digital SLR, and a fancy lens.
For most people it comes down to size and image quality, plus whether
you want image stabilization, a long zoom, etc. It pays to do your
research.

So in a filter system you select
* image stabilazation
* long zoon lens
* SLR/compact/
* Price range
etc

and then look at the cameras that match your filter selections and reviews
of them.

Old August 4th 06, 01:01 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

erics wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

A lot of people equate pixels to quality which as you point out is not
always true. The salesman is doing what he needs to make a sale. You do not
have to filter out cameras based on the number of pixels, or you can specify
a range which is important if you want to print out huge prints. It is no
use getting a 2 mega pixel camera which gives great 4x6 prints if you really
want to produce great A3 sized prints, because no matter how good that
camera is, at that size its prints will look pixelated.

There are no longer any 2 megapixel digital cameras on sale. Any camera
costing 100 or more these days will have more than enough megapixels
for someone who's not a camera pro. What they might not have is a good
quality picture. But enough megapixels yes.

You can buy something pretty basic for 100ish,
something better for 200, or something quite nice indeed for about
300. If you are a pro, you will get a digital SLR, and a fancy lens.
For most people it comes down to size and image quality, plus whether
you want image stabilization, a long zoom, etc. It pays to do your
research.

So in a filter system you select
* image stabilazation
* long zoon lens
* SLR/compact/
* Price range
etc

and then look at the cameras that match your filter selections and reviews
of them.

But all the cameras matching those criteria might be crap. It's easier
to look at best of breed and then decide which of those best suits your
needs.

Old August 4th 06, 01:20 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
erics

wrote in message
oups.com...

erics wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

A lot of people equate pixels to quality which as you point out is not
always true. The salesman is doing what he needs to make a sale. You do
not
have to filter out cameras based on the number of pixels, or you can
specify
a range which is important if you want to print out huge prints. It is no
use getting a 2 mega pixel camera which gives great 4x6 prints if you
really
want to produce great A3 sized prints, because no matter how good that
camera is, at that size its prints will look pixelated.

There are no longer any 2 megapixel digital cameras on sale. Any camera
costing 100 or more these days will have more than enough megapixels
for someone who's not a camera pro. What they might not have is a good
quality picture. But enough megapixels yes.

There are if you look.

You mean *might* have more than enough pixels - I am not a pro, but how do
you know what my requirements are??? The number of pixels will determine the
maximum print size you can achieve so it is an important criteria, as is
price to most people, and of course image quality.

You can buy something pretty basic for 100ish,
something better for 200, or something quite nice indeed for about
300. If you are a pro, you will get a digital SLR, and a fancy lens.
For most people it comes down to size and image quality, plus whether
you want image stabilization, a long zoom, etc. It pays to do your
research.

So in a filter system you select
* image stabilazation
* long zoon lens
* SLR/compact/
* Price range
etc

and then look at the cameras that match your filter selections and reviews
of them.

But all the cameras matching those criteria might be crap. It's easier
to look at best of breed and then decide which of those best suits your
needs.

How do I easily find best of breed at a price point I am interesed in and
with the features I want - filter the results, just as you do manually.

*might*, then again they might not be. Your review site *might* not list all
the cameras available at the time I look. Your review site *might* have not
reviewed a cracking camera, therefore they have already filtered your search
for you.

Anyway, you stick your your manual methods if they suit you. I think there
IS an alternative method to searching for a suitable model, especially if
you know roughly want you want. So we will agree to disagree.

Whatever method you use to get a short list, its best to look at reviews and
do your research on any candidate models.

Old August 5th 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Tron[ADS]

www.steves-digicams.com
i think will be usefull.....provided ive remembered the url correctly

Old August 5th 06, 05:12 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Tron[ADS]

"Tron[ADS]" wrote in message
www.steves-digicams.com
i think will be usefull.....provided ive remembered the url correctly

Although you dont need a website to know that according to all review
sources, the current best compact around is the new Fuji F30 by a country
mile. Just wish I had some spare cash to get myself one.....ISO3200, nice.