Postage stamps

Old September 23rd 17, 06:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default Postage stamps

http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents
Old September 23rd 17, 10:16 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
catalpa

wrote in message
http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents

Who uses snail mail?

I have to mail something about once every 3 months.

Old September 23rd 17, 10:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 4:16:51 PM UTC-5, catalpa wrote:

wrote in message

http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents

Who uses snail mail?

I have to mail something about once every 3 months.

Pretty much the same thing here. I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

Old September 23rd 17, 11:03 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith

wrote in message

http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents

Who uses snail mail?

I have to mail something about once every 3 months.

Pretty much the same thing here. I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

RE taxes was the last holdout for me. But they got their act together about 5-7 years ago.
I pay the 1 buck "transaction fee" but I happen to bank with Chase, else I'd still be
sending a check. I sent a check to the lawyer who protests my RE tax assessment every 3
years a couple months ago, and that's the only check I've used in a couple years.
The only use I see for checks is paying tradesmen for work on my house, or maybe buying a
car.
Old September 24th 17, 12:12 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

RE taxes was the last holdout for me. But they got their act together about 5-7 years ago.
I pay the 1 buck "transaction fee" but I happen to bank with Chase, else I'd still be
sending a check. I sent a check to the lawyer who protests my RE tax assessment every 3
years a couple months ago, and that's the only check I've used in a couple years.
The only use I see for checks is paying tradesmen for work on my house, or maybe buying a
car.

ACK! I wish whoever did the online banking transactions for my county
only charged a dollar. $43 'convenience fee' is highway robbery but at
least I have a choice to mail or pay in person. I had to write a check
back in July for a new water heater installation and that was the first
check I'd written since February. A pad of checks lasts me 2,3,4 years.

Old September 24th 17, 12:18 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

wrote:

[...]

Can't you pay the tax using your banks online bill pay? It's a direct
transfer, not a CC that they have to pay fees on.

Old September 24th 17, 12:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith

wrote:

[...]

Before my county set up the online payment, you had to send in the tax bill with your
payment. Still can't pay with the bank online system. Have to go to the county online
site.
Old September 24th 17, 02:13 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

The State of California charges something like $17.00 if you want to pay
your state income taxes directly using H&RBlock tax software (presumably
the same for TurboTax), which seems incredibly stupid.

Last time I tried to pay the federal tax with TT it screwed up badly and
I ended up sending them paper and a check on April 15. Every since then
I've sent paper for both.

I send checks for all taxes. Everything else I pay via CC or online
banking.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Everything sucks; reverse the wires and everything will blow."
Old September 24th 17, 03:39 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:20:20 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

On 9/23/2017 4:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

ACK! I wish whoever did the online banking transactions for my county
only charged a dollar. $43 'convenience fee' is highway robbery but at
least I have a choice to mail or pay in person. I had to write a check
back in July for a new water heater installation and that was the first
check I'd written since February. A pad of checks lasts me 2,3,4 years.

Can't you pay the tax using your banks online bill pay? It's a direct
transfer, not a CC that they have to pay fees on.

Check, credit or debit card only (or cash in person). If using bill
pay they consider that to be a debit card. Doesn't make sense, but
it never hurts to ask again.

Old September 24th 17, 03:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 8:13:27 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:

I send checks for all taxes. Everything else I pay via CC or online
banking.

Cheers, Bev

Once my check for property taxes clears the bank I print out a
copy of my check and staple it to the portion of the tax bill I
keep and file it with my tax records. Never hurts to keep a
copy for awhile.